Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A question about the Hobbit read-through

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Aug 31, 10:08pm

Post #1 of 4 (676 views)
Shortcut
A question about the Hobbit read-through Can't Post

I was wondering if along with the chapter format we could have threads about some of the general themes in the Hobbit which are not covered in a simple chapter by chapter basis. Such as a thread on the Dwarves, Bilbo, moods of the book etc. What does anyone think of this , it would be different!

noWizardme
Valinor

Sep 1, 2:55pm

Post #2 of 4 (616 views)
Shortcut
Good idea - how about when we get to the end of the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was wondering if along with the chapter format we could have threads about some of the general themes in the Hobbit which are not covered in a simple chapter by chapter basis. Such as a thread on the Dwarves, Bilbo, moods of the book etc. What does anyone think of this , it would be different!

My thinking is that if we wait until we've finished all the chapters then nobody need worry that they will be stealing the thunder of someone's upcoming chapter. Also, of course, the remaining chapters might suggest some good topics. Lastly, we've only a month left in the schedule for chapters ( the last one goes up Sunday 23 September, meaning there are no more chapters to post from 30 September onward). That seems a good time period in which to get a thing such as this organised.

Old hands in the Reading Room may remember whether anything similar has been tried, and what was learned about how to organise it...

I'm imaging, perhaps naively, that this idea would be pretty much self- administering. We need a thread on which people can post the themes they want to do. I'm supposing that anyone who wants to suggest a theme is willing to introduce it (at least in a basic way such as The Necromancer - my questions about the Necromancer are...' ) so we don't need a co-ordinator to maintain the schedule and find someone to take on themes for which nobody has volunteered (the role I've been doing in The Hobbit read-through).

We could continue having a discussion a week, but there's probably no problem in having several discussions running at the same time. So we could have 'Hobbit Month', (or something like that) and fit the discussions into a set time.

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Sep 6, 9:33am

Post #3 of 4 (552 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's an idea [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing which might be interesting would be to discuss the Hobbit's legacy, or the mentions of the Hobbit in the later writings, the Moria chapter, the influence of Bilbo's adventure in Lotr or the chapter in Unfinished tales!

noWizardme
Valinor

Sep 6, 10:59am

Post #4 of 4 (553 views)
Shortcut
The main problem may be lack of enthusiasm [In reply to] Can't Post

...for example, only you and I are discussing the idea so far.

But I was in any case thinking I'd do a final post after we're done with chapters, inviting these kinds of general thoughts about the book. That might spawn some further discussions.

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.