Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Deluxe Special Editions

nRagedGuardian

Aug 20 2018, 4:19pm

Post #1 of 6 (2316 views)
Shortcut
Deluxe Special Editions Can't Post

I'm curious to know if it is worth purchasing the Deluxe versions of J.R.R. Tolkien's books. They would look splendid on a bookshelf as well as in your hands from the images I have seen.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

squire
Half-elven

Aug 20 2018, 6:15pm

Post #2 of 6 (2292 views)
Shortcut
It depends on what you want from an edition of a book. [In reply to] Can't Post

This appears to be a 'collectible' edition of a book, The Silmarillion, that is in print in very many formats, across an entire range of price points. I think there are equivalent versions for Tolkien's other major books, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings; some are a lot more deluxe and expensive than this one is.

Is a higher-priced, fancier book 'worth it' to me? No, I don't much care about this aspect of fandom. The text is the same no matter what the covers look like, and I pretty much read the books for the text.

But if 'looking splendid', on the shelf or in your lap, is something you do value in your books, then by all means go for it! I believe there is a substantial community of Tolkien fans who put a great deal of time and thought into which editions of the legendarium they own or want to own, so you'll be in good company if you go for this.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

nRagedGuardian

Aug 20 2018, 7:48pm

Post #3 of 6 (2285 views)
Shortcut
Thanks squire! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I want to make sure the Deluxe/Collectible version is of good quality before I decide to buy them.

I'm one that likes the feel and look of hardcover books. Tongue

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2018, 4:23am

Post #4 of 6 (2255 views)
Shortcut
I have most of these deluxe editions [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a person who thinks the quality of a book should reflect its content. When it comes to Tolkienís works, yes, I do like having editions that are well-produced and hark back to an age when books were made to last, with things like leather bindings, gilt paper edging, etc.

These Harper Collins deluxe editions have beautiful foil-stamping in 2 or 3 colours (gold, silver, red) on the front and back of the slipcase boards and the book itself that are either based on Tolkienís motifs or drawn by Alan Lee. The books for the most part* are sturdy (slipcase, hardcover, binding) and have coloured endpapers and ribbon page markers. Some have coloured illustrations by Alan Lee along with black and white sketches by him interspersed throughout.

*To my point above about the sturdiness and binding... you may want to know that for all books except one, the first editions/impressions were printed and bound either in UK or Italy and they are far superior than subsequent impressions that Harper Collins outsourced to China or Hong Kong. The exception is the first impression of The Story of Kullervo which was bound in Hong Kong, and was noticeably inferior in several aspects. Several of us who collect these editions informed HC about our dissatisfaction, and it seems they took our feedback seriously because the next book, Beren and Luthien, was bound in Italy once again.

In conclusion, they are obviously more expensive than regular hardbacks, but to me well worth the price as I want these books to last and also look good together, which they absolutely do.

You probably got a longer answer than you might have wanted, but if you want any more information, feel free to PM me Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2018, 11:35pm

Post #5 of 6 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I collect Tolkien books, therefore I have to collect these, too. Personally, I find them a little flimsy, compared to deluxe editions of times past. To my mind, 'deluxe' means leather spines, gilding and good quality cloth-covered boards. Or even buckram; as in the case of some. Coloured foil and paper-covered boards just ain't the same.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 25 2018, 2:33am

Post #6 of 6 (2143 views)
Shortcut
Very true [In reply to] Can't Post

For me personally though, the really good leather ones from the 90s/early 2000s and earlier are unaffordable, so the semi-deluxe ones are a good compromise Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.