Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 16

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17, 2:19am

Post #1 of 21 (3015 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 16 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

Here we sit half-way through August... ALREADY! Mercy, where does the time go!?!

How have you been holding up on your own personal journey? Have you stuck with the one all summer/winter, or have you switched it up a bit to keep it interesting and entertaining? Do tell :D

I tend to switch it up while still plodding along my country roads. The scenery is definitely changing as Wind Turbines are being erected all over the place. I can already see 7 from my front yard, and they doesn't even count the one going right across the street and another in the field right of that. There will be about 14 within sight all around my home when they're done. :(

My Progress: 24 miles
Cumulated 703 miles of 1228 total miles in the Isengard to Rivendell journey. Gandalf, Galadriel, Celeborn, and Elrond pass thoughts between each other at the campfire under the stars while the hobbits sleep.

See you on the Road!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Valinor

Aug 17, 4:34pm

Post #2 of 21 (2950 views)
Shortcut
Trollshaws [In reply to] Can't Post

On August 17 I'm at Oct. 13 - Day 21 (7th from Weathertop). I crossed the Last Bridge (@358 miles) and I'm now heading into the land of Trollshaws.

Frodo &Co have some days of hard climbing and difficult navigation ahead of them, which slows down their usual ~20 miles/day to more like ~6 miles a day. So I might almost manage one LOTR day per day of real time.

If I get to Rivendell first, I'll leave you a mathom....

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17, 9:12pm

Post #3 of 21 (2927 views)
Shortcut
Deal on reaching Rivendell :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank goodness you've got Bill to help. Matching mile-for-mile is a nice twist :D PACE YOURSELF!!! *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 24, 4:47pm

Post #4 of 21 (2873 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Fellow Travellers!

How are you coming along? By rabbit sled? By Fell Beast? By loyal, brave steed? I'm coming along with my 2 fuzzy feet ;)

I'm still enjoying full-summer weather here in Michigan. Those wind turbines they're installing around me are also coming along nicely. I can now see 11 from my front yard. *sigh* So I'm trying to tell myself they're powerful sentinels from outer space placed here to protect us. But then I worry that the 200+ turbines in my county and the adjoining county could throw the earth off it's axis if they spin too fast and all at once! You never know!

(from internet images... but JUST like mine)

So then I tell myself they're mutant flowers that will never wilt.

Right.

Then I tell myself they're prettier than the oil rigs just north of me and that they're serious pinwheels!

I'm still working on it.

In the meanwhile, I'm putting in a picket fence enclosure for my dog Pickle to run free in. I bought the fencing last fall before I even had a dog... usually getting medium-sized beasts, like border collie mixes. We'll... Pickle ran right through the fence between the boards. Chihuahua mix. *sigh* So now I'm adding chicken wire along the bottom until he puts on a few pounds ;)

Do tell us what you're up to and how you're doing!

My Progress: 29 miles
Cumulated 732 of 1,625 total miles for the entire Minas Tirith to Bag End journey (397 miles from Isengard to Rivendell). The Company and I have entered Northern Dunland. Along the roadway, we have overtaken 2 foot-sore wanders. Saruman and Grima Wormtongue. We had a nice little chat and then went on our way. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."

See you on the Road! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Valinor

Aug 25, 7:00pm

Post #5 of 21 (2851 views)
Shortcut
Between trolls and Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

Oct. 18 - Day 26 (12th from Weathertop) 9 miles after trolls, I meet Glorfindel in 3 mi.

I didn't notice the trolls, to be honest, being busy helping with preparations for a friend's 50th anniversary party. Luckily the 'day of the party dawned fine and clear' - we'd been putting up gazebos which had been threatening to take off an blow away the evening before.

Unlike poor Frodo et al, on tight rations, we had quite a garden party in nice summer weather, and I ate lots of this very nice sweet & sour slaw: https://www.bbc.com/..._and_sour_slaw_07245

~~~~~~
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 26, 2:01am

Post #6 of 21 (2826 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

if elves and hobbits enjoyed slaw? Surely cabbages were popular. Personally, I love fried cabbage (add onions, garlic, shredded carrots) and cabbage soup.

I think ignoring trolls for a fantastic party for your friend's 50th anniversary is proper and right :D I'm SO glad you had a fine and clear day and that all went well :)

Well done of your progress! *high five* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Valinor

Aug 26, 8:01am

Post #7 of 21 (2773 views)
Shortcut
The lore of slaw [In reply to] Can't Post

Have we just invented ‘trollslaw?’

‘Reaching for his handy copy of Wizapedia, NoWiz tells the party that slaw seems to be Dutch originally (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleslaw ).” The things you learn upon this road!

In Britain in Tolkien’s lifetime I think cabbage had a poor reputation- boiled too long or prepared too early it’s a limp unappetising mess, so I think a lot of folks went off it because of school dinners or other poor institutional cooking.

I’ll see what Glorfindel knows about slaw when he catches up with us, though I fear he’s going to force march us all night instead...

~~~~~~

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Aug 26, 8:02am)

noWizardme
Valinor

Aug 26, 9:29am

Post #8 of 21 (2764 views)
Shortcut
Rabbit-proof fence [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the meanwhile, I'm putting in a picket fence enclosure for my dog Pickle to run free in. I bought the fencing last fall before I even had a dog... usually getting medium-sized beasts, like border collie mixes. We'll... Pickle ran right through the fence between the boards. Chihuahua mix. *sigh* So now I'm adding chicken wire along the bottom until he puts on a few pounds ;)

That reminds me of trying to rabbit-proof my garden so that our pet rabbits could run free in the daytime. It became a battle of wits which I kept losing...Unsure

~~~~~~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 26, 12:53pm

Post #9 of 21 (2747 views)
Shortcut
It's like finding the better mouse trap [In reply to] Can't Post

We just can't help challenging nature and its beasts ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Valinor

Aug 26, 1:00pm

Post #10 of 21 (2749 views)
Shortcut
cabbages and kings [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's another cabbage recipe - a cake made from blanched savoy cabbage leaves and sausagemeat and then baked.
https://www.theguardian.com/...P=Share_iOSApp_Other
If you choose the bottom cabbage leaf carefully, the veins of the cabbage leaf form the shape of a white tree when you turn it out to serve. Fit for a king, evidently.

[Image caption - photo of the 'oak tree pie' recipe, made of layers of savoy cabbage leaves and sausage meat. In this picture it's shown turned out to serve and the veins of the cabbage leaf which makes the top of the 'pie' look like a white tree]

Possibly we'll come across other recipes on our journey...

~~~~~~

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 26, 1:04pm

Post #11 of 21 (2747 views)
Shortcut
OMG! "Trollslaw"! [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt trolls would enjoy anything that looks as tasty as that. But it DOES look like something that would be served at Rivendell...or any proper Hobbit get-together. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

noWizardme
Valinor

Aug 26, 1:06pm

Post #12 of 21 (2746 views)
Shortcut
Trolls probably prefer rock cakes, TBH... // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 26, 1:39pm

Post #13 of 21 (2730 views)
Shortcut
That would be my baked cookies or muffins ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 26, 1:42pm

Post #14 of 21 (2725 views)
Shortcut
*mouth waters* [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds so good... and I love the image of the tree :D

I make cabbage rolls all the time! This sounds like another way of marrying some wonderful ingredients together :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31, 4:10am

Post #15 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell...and Beyond! August 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

Well... here we are at the finish of August. A change of the seasons is upon us! Are you where you thought you would be at this part of your walk? All in all, I'm happy with my progress, but I wish I had acquired more of my mileage just playing around ;D More long walks on the lake shore would have been good; but the point is to just keep moving!

So how has your Summer/Winter been? Do tell on your adventures and if you are using any of the charts as you walk along with the Fellowship :)

My Progress: 32 miles
Cumulated 764 of 1,625 total miles for the entire Minas Tirith to Bag End journey (397 miles from Isengard to Rivendell). The Company and I continue our ride for Rivendell.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Valinor

Aug 31, 4:30pm

Post #16 of 21 (2609 views)
Shortcut
River Bruinen will be in sight in just a few miles. [In reply to] Can't Post

438 miles: In Middle-earth it's Oct. 19 - Day 27 (13th from Weathertop) nearly the end of a long forced march. That nutter Glorfindel had us march all night, but was it really necessary? No sign of the pursuit yet...

IRL:
Interesting recent wildlife sighting was a Little Egret, which would have been fabulously exotic in my younger days ( I think one accidentally landed on the south coast of England once) but they are now becoming resident - global warming, maybe. Not to be confused with the Little Eejit - there's always been plenty of those about in Britain Smile It's a bit like the red kite, a bird I never expected to see as a teen, because there was one breeding pair in a secret location somewhere in Wales. But after a successful release program they're once again the characteristic raptor of Southern England - they look a bit like a small red eagle, with a characteristic forked tail.

The hedgerow berries are out early, and there are lots of sloes (do you have sloes in North America - fruit of the blackthorn, look like tiny and very bitter plums?) Sloes are traditionally used to make a flavoured gin (https://www.jamieoliver.com/...res/sloe-gin-recipe/ ) perhaps I'll give that a go (and pretend it's mirovoir). But it's a sloe process, of course...

~~~~~~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1, 7:07pm

Post #17 of 21 (2504 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel's marching orders [In reply to] Can't Post

He's not familiar with hobbits like Strider is. Especially ones that are already tired and hurt. I wonder if Strider had an aside talk with him. Well done on your progress! You're making good time :D

I love your stories of the critters in your realm. My Mom had a family of egrets in her backyard pond (corner of a large lake). She watched for them every year. I have gret herons that are a lot like egrets that live in the river right next to my home. In the fall, they circle high above my house for hours calling out as more and more join up... then they head south.

We don't have any sloes in Michigan. They look a lot like our blackberries. I think giving a go with that gin (? ;) would be a great idea.

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Valinor

Sep 2, 5:49pm

Post #18 of 21 (2463 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel and blackberries [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that Glorfindel's forced march actually made sense in the circumstances (needing to use the road now, and getting as far as possible before, inevitably, being detected and overtaken). When the Reading Room worked through this chapter last time, I don't think we ever got toe the bottom of why Glorfindel doesn't hit upon the plan we see in the PJ movie (put Frodo on the horse and make a dash for it, leaving the others to follow as best they can). Maybe there is no answer, or maybe Glorfindel needed Aragorn's help in the predicted confrontation.

Blackberries - in America are these like very dark purple raspberries, that grow from a thicket-making and very invasive bramble? (Like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry )? Or is it one of those things (like corn, robins or kingfishers) where the Old World and New World have different things with the same name?

~~~~~~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2, 10:50pm

Post #19 of 21 (2436 views)
Shortcut
I have [In reply to] Can't Post

raspberries growing wild in my yard. They're delicious! I think it's like you say: some have the same name, but may vary a bit in what they are.

Check this out...

Michigan U-Pick Farms with an interactive map that describes each part of our state's crops and bounty :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Valinor

Sep 5, 4:07pm

Post #20 of 21 (2322 views)
Shortcut
5 Sept - Arrived in Rivendell a mile ago [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose I was so anxious about Mr Frodo, I immediately went rushing around to find the kitchens....

That was fun - I'll now fast-forward and rush off to Lorien.

~~~~~~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6, 10:55am

Post #21 of 21 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Sweeeeeeet! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

After what you've been through, I'd run for the kitchen too!!! *high five*

So you've made it to Rivendell!? CONGRATULATIONS!!! I hear Lothlorien is nice... but don't be too eager to bail on the Last Homely House. ;)

WELL DONE!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.