Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to Fiesta Friday!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 3, 4:07pm

Post #1 of 24 (657 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone, and welcome to another Fiesta!
Another weekend is upon us! Do you have any exciting (or relaxing) plans? The weather has cooled down a bit here, so it's time to do some serious week pulling and killing in the back yard. Pretty exciting stuff, lol! How about you? Swing by the buffet and order up a drink and let us know how life is treating you!
*puts quarters on the juke box* play us one of your current favorites!
Happy weekend, everyone! CoolHeartSmileSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3, 4:24pm

Post #2 of 24 (623 views)
Shortcut
And ice-cream float for me, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

A scoop of mocha chip ice cream, floating in a glass of root beer, would be excellent on this hot, humid day here, please!

The high temps will be staying around, but the humidity is supposed to drop to half-way decent levels next week. 85F/30C is not uncommon in New England, but it looks like it's been bad over in Europe. Unsure

I'll be trying to stay cool, and sorting pics from our Nova Scotia trip this weekend - gotta download hubby's, he took a ton of them! Laugh I'll see if there's some good ones to post.

*puts quarter in juke box, selects "Summer in the City"* Are those wildfires staying away from your area, Altaira?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 3, 5:04pm

Post #3 of 24 (616 views)
Shortcut
Mmmmm, that sounds good! [In reply to] Can't Post

My father adored having rootbeer in the summer, and my sister and I were just reminiscing about how whenever we have one we think about him. Smile Mocha-chip ice cream? My, aren't we fancy. Laugh
Oh, yes, piccies please!
According to google maps of Colorado fires, there are currently 12! Thankfully, they're all small-ish, but those combined with the fires in California and other western states have produced a definite haze here. Pretty typical of August, unfortunately.
Enjoy the weekend! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 3, 7:28pm

Post #4 of 24 (613 views)
Shortcut
I'll have a chocolate shake [In reply to] Can't Post

the kind with ice cream - a frappe to some -

Think I'll amble down to the state fairgrounds this weekend to attend the tiny house event; I'm pretty sure after my dad departs this mortal coil, a tiny house is going to be my best option.

We're hunkering down for three more days of Blue Angels flying right over head; the one disadvantage - or advantage, however you might look at it - of having a home above the lake where Seafair takes place. At one point they go RIGHT OVER us, and I mean they are maybe 100 feet above our roof.

Thousands of people come and watch from the nearby park. The neighbors' kids make money selling parking places in the driveways on our street, with our permission.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Aug 3, 8:03pm

Post #5 of 24 (607 views)
Shortcut
My knowledge of Nova Scotia is limited [In reply to] Can't Post

to 'The Shipping News' - and I don't even know if it was actually filmed there! Music was great, though. Oh and the fact that Bruce Guthro comes from there; he took over as lead singer of the Scottish band Runrig - oh, ages ago now.

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Aug 4, 8:49pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Aug 3, 8:06pm

Post #6 of 24 (601 views)
Shortcut
Tiny House, Big Living [In reply to] Can't Post

has been on tv in the UK. I watched quite a few shows and was fascinated by the ingenuity with which they fitted things into such small spaces!

Rivendweller
Lorien

Aug 3, 8:11pm

Post #7 of 24 (598 views)
Shortcut
** peeks in ** Might I order up an Iced Chai Tea ? [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been simply forever since I have been able to sidle up to the Fiesta Bar !! How wonderful to find it still stands !!

Whenever I pick up my LOTR book to escape for awhile, it inevitably leads me to thinking about all of you !

Life is leading me into another new adventure and a move , which is why I bring LOTR along for the ride... : )

Think I'll just kick back and listen to the conversations swirling around and smile... Happy Weekend to all of you that I know from days of old , and to all the new !

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Aug 3, 8:13pm

Post #8 of 24 (595 views)
Shortcut
I'm in Gandalf mode tonight - [In reply to] Can't Post

'Just tea, thank you!' Daughter and family are away camping, so I don't have any grandson-wrangling to do this weekend, no dog to look after - and I've just finished a quilting project that has been bugging me for months. so... it's a 'spare time' weekend! That makes a change, actually. In that case, why am I not on the beer?! No idea, just didn't fancy it. Some tidying of house and garden will be done - that costs nothing and is productive. We could do with a lot more rain actually, but that's not going to happen for a few days at least.*kicks juke box* How about that old favourite 'It's Raining Men' by the Weather Girls? Seems apt... Cheers, folks!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 3, 8:20pm

Post #9 of 24 (594 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

-- the chocolate shake, Blue Angels, and tiny houses. Laugh
Having been in the NZ air force, B.G. is a big fan of big jets. We've attended many an air show and I've loved them. Such a thrill! And, ooooh, tiny houses! I marvel at the HGTV tiny house show and how sometimes families of for or more live in them. There's a tiny house village in Ft. Collins that I'd love to visit one day. Have fun daydreaming and tiny window shopping!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3, 9:37pm

Post #10 of 24 (585 views)
Shortcut
A frosty morning, with a batch of crab apple jelly in progress. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love its jewel-like colour, not to mention the delicious, sharp flavour. We have two crab apple trees that look beautiful in spring and autumn, and produce enough fruit to keep us in jelly.

It's chilly today, but brilliantly sunny for now! When the jelly's done we'll head out to the garden for a bit more rose pruning, and to see if the slugs have left any of our bean plants. Friends are coming around for afternoon tea tomorrow, but it's otherwise another quiet weekend - just what I like :)

A fairly successful week on the writing front, with progress made on both my fiction and non-fiction works-in-progress, and some pleasing ranking on the sales charts for my existing books.

We got a wedding invitation this week - it's been ages since we last went to a wedding! This one is for a young couple we're very fond of, and will be in a lovely part of the country (not till summer), so good news all round.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Aug 3, 9:39pm)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3, 10:09pm

Post #11 of 24 (582 views)
Shortcut
Lovely to see you, Rivendweller! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the way TORn is a place that people come back to, even if their own rivers carry them away for a time.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 3, 10:31pm

Post #12 of 24 (579 views)
Shortcut
We actually have our second fine day in a row. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might even go for a wee walk in the sunshine later. Smile

Tonight I'll be seeing Mission Impossible: Fallout. This seems to be one of the few long-running franchises where nearly every film is better than the one that went before.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Valinor

Aug 3, 10:33pm

Post #13 of 24 (578 views)
Shortcut
Gettin' hot [In reply to] Can't Post

Inching our way back to the 90's next week. Expecting at least two more months of this. Crazy Thankfully the A/C is here when I need a cool breeze in my face.

Going to the Dodgers/Astros game tomorrow with my gf, then a hike Sunday morning. I'm at ~160 movies for the year, and I have a feeling I'll add one more to the list tonight. Anyone else still clinging onto MoviePass while it's still alive?

Boss was out of town this week, which made for a relaxing little break. Monday will be brutal--and the perfect reminder for me to book a trip, anywhere, for a vacation of my own.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Rivendweller
Lorien

Aug 3, 10:42pm

Post #14 of 24 (577 views)
Shortcut
Exactly !! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to see you too !! I hope to participate more once my move is complete and I have time. I'm anxious to see what Amazon has in store for our beloved books !

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3, 10:52pm

Post #15 of 24 (575 views)
Shortcut
Sorting through the pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

is a nice opportunity to remember your travels! Enjoy - and stay cool. :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3, 10:59pm

Post #16 of 24 (577 views)
Shortcut
Some of those tiny houses are amazing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not an inch wasted. Not much housework to do, either!

Enjoy your weekend, Annael!

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3, 11:04pm

Post #17 of 24 (572 views)
Shortcut
The sun is very welcome at the moment! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy getting your Vitamin D, Ataahua :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3, 11:25pm

Post #18 of 24 (568 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy your weekend, Cats! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 4, 2:25am

Post #19 of 24 (563 views)
Shortcut
oh yes,the housework [In reply to] Can't Post

When I had a 600-SF apartment I could clean it in an hour.

Have a lovely weekend yourself, Kimi!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 4, 2:26am)

cats16
Valinor

Aug 4, 3:36am

Post #20 of 24 (549 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Kimi, you too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm jealous of your chilly/sunny weather. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Aug 4, 4:35pm

Post #21 of 24 (501 views)
Shortcut
Ruce? I meant Bruce!! Oops... [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 4, 9:02pm

Post #22 of 24 (472 views)
Shortcut
Looks like the "B" went astray... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I caught it an put it back in its place. Wink

I looked up The Shipping News, that was actually Newfoundland it's about, and where they did film it.

But no surprise about the Scottish music connection, Nova Scotia is very proud of its Scottish heritage and Celtic music: everywhere you go on the eastern end of the island, they advertise ceilidhs! (And the town signs are both English and Gaelic.)

They also have a strong Acadian heritage, mostly on the western end (and on the western side of Cape Breton also), where you'll find the street signs combine French and English, for example "Ch. Main St." (Chemin Main Street).

It's a fascinating place!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 7, 2:19am

Post #23 of 24 (365 views)
Shortcut
Happy August everyone! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The last month of my "official" summer :( It's going by SO fast, but has bee truly action-packed.

My fireplace installation has one more step... then it's done! Mantle, attach cast-iron ash trap door, and attach the post swing-arm. I'll post some pics next Fiesta :D *twitch*

My daughter and I went to a hot-air balloon festival on Saturday and watched the precision tag drop onto targets on the ground about 80 feet away from us. Here they come! We could see the faces of the pilots and passengers as they stretched out over the edge of their gondola with their numbered streamers... swing them in a circular motion to build up momentum... and toss them out over their targets (2) and see who, out of the 24 balloonists, could hit the closest... like a giant dart board game from 20-40 feet off the ground.

The weather was perfect and seeing all these balloons... and the flock of geese trying to maneuver around them... was so much fun!

Thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira :D *sneaks pink lemonade* Have a great week everyone!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Aug 9, 11:00pm

Post #24 of 24 (306 views)
Shortcut
Wonder where I had the idea [In reply to] Can't Post

that it was Nova Scotia? Thanks for setting me straight on that. Having seen the sad, crumbling remains of so many ruined crofts in the Highlands and Islands, I wonder how many of those who had to leave ended up over there.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.