Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
What if it were you?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

uncle Iorlas
Bree

Aug 6, 3:35am

Post #1 of 81 (3806 views)
Shortcut
What if it were you? Can't Post

Just for fun, suppose you were the showrunner. What would you do? With the whole field of possibility wide open, what story would you pick? Who would you cast? Or generally what else would you want to do, whether story or production or whatever?

It's fun to work on, for one thing. But remember, too, that Payne or McKay might well be lurking here, trawling for good ideas (or at least vulnerable to being infected.by your good ideas).

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 6, 6:08am

Post #2 of 81 (3620 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

First, I’d use Aragorn, Legolas, Gandalf, and other book characters strictly in secondary roles. As lead characters I'd introduce some new guys so we could get into their heads and show fear, doubt, lechery, betrayal, etc. without violating canon. Plus it maintains narrative suspense since we know neither Aragorn nor Legolas is going to get killed, but we don’t know if this is going to be the last episode for Bob the Dúnedain or Yellowhair Jim.

Second, I’d keep in mind that the true main character of Middle-earth is the world itself. So I’d have the primary characters *go* places, from the Grey Havens to the Iron Mountains, from the Brown Lands to Dol Amroth. Amazon has the budget for exotic location shooting and/or stunning cgi backgrounds.

Third, magic would be rare. Magic weapons and items would be difficult to obtain. Magical places and beings would be hard to encounter. And the wholesale casting of magical spells would be right out.

Fourth, no infodump exposition. No monologuing about the history of the First and/or Second Age. (But intriguing throwaway references like Tolkien did with "the crowns of seven kings", "the rods of the Five Wizards", and "the cats of Queen Berúthiel" would be okay.)

Fifth, no foreshadowing about stuff like the One Ring or the Treachery of Saruman.

Sixth, absolutely positively no precocious child prodigy!

Finally, a swimsuit episode every mid-season.

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."
-LOTR IV: A New Estel

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Aug 6, 12:46pm

Post #3 of 81 (3559 views)
Shortcut
My take on things [In reply to] Can't Post

I would divide the series into three different "segments", each containing one or several seasons depending on the length of the storylines and how much material can be drawn from the source texts (which of course could be expanded upon by "fan fiction").

SEGMENT #1
The fall of Arthedain

This segment would include a lengthy flashback which would explain the demise of Numenor, the war of Sauron and the Elves, the forging of the rings of power, the nazguls, the last alliance, the rise of Angmar,etc.

Arthedain's seemingly futile struggle against the combined forces of Angmar (containing Orcs, Trolls, Goblins, Black Numenorans, undead and other nasties) and Arthedain's former allies Cardolan and Rhuadur (now under the sway of the Hill-men), would function as the framework for this segment.

Arvedui would be the main character, and his story arc would focus on him trying to keep his kingdom together under the increasing pressure from Angmar, and at the same time building the necessary alliances with the Elves of Lindon and Imladris and the Dunedain of Gondor.

This segment's finale would be the battle of Fornost, with the Witch-King’s escape and Glorfindel’s prophecy.

Main & supporting characters: Arvedui, Cirdan, Glorfindel, Elrond, Earnur, Galadriel, Celeborn.

Villains: The Witch-king, the Hill-men chieftains controlling Rhuadur and Cardolan, and possibly some other Black Numenoran and/or Orc characters.

SEGMENT #2
Young Aragorn

Once again, a flashback would explain the matter of things (how the descendants of Arvedui became chieftains of the Dunedain in the north, how the line of kings was broken in Gondor, Minas Ithil becoming Minas Morgul, the presence of evil in Dol Guldur, the rise of fierce people in the south and the east, etc).

Aragorn's upbringing in Imladris, his journeys and adventures, the love story with Arwen and the rising threat from the Shadow would be the main story arc of this segment.

Main & supporting characters: Aragorn, Arwen, Galadriel, Celeborn, Arathorn, Gilraen, Elrond, Glorfindel, Legolas, Gandalf, Radagast, Halbarad, Tom Bombadil, etc, but of course various characters would also have to be invented for this segment.

Villains: The Necromancer would be the lead villain of this segment, along with Khamul and various Corsair, Harad and Easterling chieftains. Possibly a Black Numenoran lord would also have to be introduced during the course of this segment, to serve as the main villain of the third segment.

The conclusion of this segment could be the hunt for Gollum, leading into to the War of the Ring.

SEGMENT #3
The War in the North

The introducing flashback would explain how the one ring was found by Bilbo and how the fate of Middle-earth is tied to it. Cut to the council of Elrond where the Frodo and his eight companions are assigned with the task to carry the ring to Mordor, but in this slightly altered version a number of representatives of the free peoples in the north are also present and given the task to defend the north by Elrond: one man from Dale, one Dwarf from the Lonely Mountain, one Elf from the Woodland realm, one Elf from Lorien and one Dunedain from the north.

This segment will later include all the battles that happen ”off-screen” in the LoTR trilogy: the assaults on Lorien, the battle under the trees, the battle of Dale and finally the destruction of Dol Guldur. Other than that, there will be focus on the events leading up to the battles, possibly involving treachery of some sort, with spies of the enemy undermining the preparation for battle. The rangers would also be represented in some subplot, like defending Eriador from Trolls and Hill-folk approaching from the Trollshaws.

Main & supporting characters: The above mentioned representatives at the council of Elrond, king Brand, Dain Ironfoot, Bard II, Thorin III Stonehelm, Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn, Thranduil, Glorfindel, Halbarad, Grimbeorn the Old, Radagast.

Villains: Since Sauron and the Nazguls are tied up elsewhere, this segment needs another ”main villain” – enter the Black Numenoran (possibly a sorcerer, on par with the Mouth of Sauron), who was introduced in the second segment and now serve as the commander of Dol Guldur. Then there’s the above mentioned spies planted by the enemy among the free peoples of the north. The Easterlings attacking Dale would need some kind of chieftain, just like the Orcs attacking from the south.

This approach would cover a large chunk of the third age, with the time gaps in between the segments covered by flashbacks, which explain the backgrounds for each storyline. Some characters will be unique for the specific segments (like Arvedui and king Brand), while others will appear in more than one segment (like Elrond and Glorfindel), providing familiarity over seasons.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 6, 3:06pm

Post #4 of 81 (3551 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone's ideas are very much in line with Cubicle 7's Tales from Wilderland and The Darkening of MIrkwood campaign for The One Ring Roleplaying Game. If I were working with him I might try to arrange it so the show could work with Cubicle 7 and mine their materials for plot-hooks, additional settings, and supporting characters. It might likely prove impossible to gain all of the necessary permissions, but it might be worth the effort to make the attempt.

If I were the sole showrunner, I probably would pitch the series about Aragorn before the War of the Ring. Ideas for casting Aragorn as a young adult range from GoT's Kit Harrington or Richard Madden to Bill Skarsgård, Nicholas Hoult or even Henry Mortensen (son of Viggo). Perhaps Saoirse Ronan or Astrid Bergès-Frisbey for Arwen. I would be ecstatic to be able to get Hugo Weaving, Ian McKellen or other actors from the films to reprise roles; Martin Freeman guest-starring as Bilbo? Yes, please!

The show might begin with a cold-opening showing Estel (age nineteen years) Elladan and Elrohir tracking one or more Bree-youths, who have foolishly wandered into the Barrow-downs, and rescuing them from a Wight. Some elements of Aragorn's backstory would need to be introduced in the first episode: the circumstances of his birth; the death of Arathorn with Gilraen and little Aragorn coming to Rivendell; young Estel watching a strange group of visitors--thirteen Dwarves accompanied by the wizard Mithrandir and an odd little man who he at first takes to be a boy of about his own age. I would also film sequences of Aragorn as a teen and young adult in and around Rivendell being taught history, riding, fighting, woodcraft. even accompanying the sons of Elrond on patrols of Eriador. These scenes might be interspersed throughout the remaining episodes of the series as flashbacks. The rest of the premiere episode would consist of Aragorn's twentieth birthday; the revelations of his name and heritage; his first encounter with Arwen; and end with his taking leave of his mother Gilraen, Elrond and his folk, and departing from Imladris.

The rest of Season One would consist of Aragorn's travels and adventures in Eriador and the other lands west of the Misty Mountains as he is introduced to the hidden enclaves of his kinsmen; is introduced to the Ranger who has been leading the Dúnedain in his absence since the death of his father; meets and befriends Gandalf the Grey. Exploring the Old Forest, the young Ranger might encounter Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. Action would come in the form of wandering Trolls, Orcs from Mount Gram, Dunlending bandits and the like. A Dwarf-lord from the Blue Mountains might have a dispute with the Elves of Harlindon. Sailors (or boating Tooks?) might suffer an accident and was ashore on the Cape of Eryn Vorn, requiring rescue before they are set upon by the Wild Men who dwell there. Aragorn and Gandalf might be called on to aid a tribe of Lossoth in Forochel beset by raiders with White Wolves.

In Season Two Aragorn and Gandalf would cross the Misty Mountains to travel through the Vales of the Anduin to the Woodland Realm, Esgaroth, Dale, Erebor, perhaps as far as Dorwinion. Circumstances keep them away from Lothlórien, though maybe Gandalf has something to do with that himself. Characters that could be introduced this season include: Radagast the Brown; Beorn; The elvenking Thranduil; Legolas; the Lord of the Eagles; the New Great Goblin; the new Master of Lake-town; King Bard, his queen and his son Bain; Dain, King under the Mountain; his son Thorin Stonehelm; the surviving Dwarves of the Company of Thorin Oakenshield.

Season Three would center around the kingdom of Rohan and Aragorn's service to King Thengel, perhaps under the traveling name of Thorongil. In this season we don't see as much of Gandalf. We do meet Théoden as a boy; Thengel's queen Morwen of Loddarnach (a woman of Gondor); Gálmód (father of Gríma Wormtongue); Saruman the White; and various folk of Rohan and Dunland.

For Season Four we would travel to Gondor, principally Minas Tirith though we would visit such diverse locations as Dol Amroth, Pelargir and the City of the Corsairs in Umbar. The final episode(s) of the season would take place in Lórien. As Thorongil, Aragorn would serve and advise Ecthelion II, the twenty-fifth Ruling Steward of Gondor. He would also gain the suspicion and enmity of Ecthelion's son Denethor. As Thoringil, Aragorn might act as a Ranger of Ithilien or might be made a Knight of Dol Amroth. He might see action in Harondor or along the borders of Mordor. Eventually he leads a successful raid on the Corsairs of Umbar, destroying a good part of their fleet and killing one of their captains in single combat. Following the raid, Aragorn leaves Gondor and is last seen by Men heading for the Mountains of Shadow. He spends some weeks scouting for plots of the Enemy before deciding to return to Rivendell for a while. On his way to Imladris he comes to Lothlórien where Galadriel permits him to enter. There Aragorn is reunited with Arwen and at mid-year they plight their troth on the hill of Cerin Amroth.

At the beginning of Season Three Aragorn takes his leave of Arwen, returning to Rivendell to speak with Elrond and with Gilraen. Elrond forbids him from wedding his daughter unless Aragorn first gains the throne of the Reunited Kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor. This might be the most ambitious season of the show as Aragorn leaves Rivendell to toil in lands far to the East and in the distant South "where the stars are strange." Here we travel far beyond Dorwinion and Gondor into lands ruled by the servants of the Enemy--lands that we have never seen before except in our imaginations. In Rhûn and Far Harad, Aragorn will walk among peoples who we have only seen during the War of the Ring, but now we see them--both evil and good--at their daily lives. With Aragorn we get to know some of them as individuals, some even as friends. Along the way we may even encounter East-elves and Dwarves who have never looked upon the Lonely Mountain or the Iron Hills, much less the Blue Mountains. New threats might come from great, horned Ogres or Trolls called by the locals Oni, or by serpentine dragons worshiped as gods.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 6, 3:07pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 6, 3:17pm

Post #5 of 81 (3527 views)
Shortcut
Segment #2 Villains [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem I see here is that the Necromancer (per se) cannot be the main villain during the time of Aragorn's adulthood as he has already been revealed as Sauron and has withdrawn out of Mirkwood back to Mordor. Of course he would still be launching plots from Mordor, just not as the Necromancer. Dol Guldur is eventually (in 2951) reoccupied by three of the Nazgûl including the Lieutenant of Dol Guldur (Khamûl).

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

uncle Iorlas
Bree

Aug 6, 4:00pm

Post #6 of 81 (3512 views)
Shortcut
Love it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I find this sort of thing endlessly fascinating. I kind of want to trap Darkstone and Deadrabbits into a partnership.

"No infodump exposition."

"Who said infodump? You just have to explain the second age so the audience knows how we got here."

Keep it coming!

(This post was edited by uncle Iorlas on Aug 6, 4:02pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Aug 6, 4:44pm

Post #7 of 81 (3501 views)
Shortcut
The Children of Hurin [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 6, 7:12pm

Post #8 of 81 (3471 views)
Shortcut
Keep in mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...realistically, the showrunner is still seemingly going to be limited to The Lord of the Rings and its appendices as the source material. I know that uncle Iorlas wrote, "With the whole field of possibility wide open..." but Tolkien's other works seem to be off the table at Amazon.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Aug 6, 9:08pm

Post #9 of 81 (3437 views)
Shortcut
Sounds a bit like "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", darkstone, sir. [In reply to] Can't Post

Exposition each week might be satisfied by a written scrolling prologue (backed with soul-stirring music by Howard Shore.)

The ungentle laws and customs touched upon in this tale are historical, and the episodes which are used to illustrate them are also historical. It is not pretended that these laws and customs existed in Middle-earth in the Third Age; no, it is only pretended that inasmuch as they existed in the English and other civilizations of far later times, it is safe to consider that it is no libel upon the Third Age to suppose them to have been in practice in that day also. One is quite justified in inferring that whatever one of these laws or customs was lacking in that remote time, its place was competently filled by a worse one.

https://en.wikisource.org/...ing_Arthur%27s_Court

Historical figures make appearances, but the story centers on a lead character named Charles - err - Hank Morgan.

Hank, of course, shows up Gandalf and Saruman for the fake magicians they claim to be by using the real magic of modern science to create all the OTT special effects audiences have come to expect.

Aaaaw, shoot, no Wesley Crushers? No Will Robinsons? Wink So, no young Estel in Rivendell, then?! Shocked

But with the occasional episode of "Bay Watch"? Wow. Tongue Who made you show runner? Laugh

Chen G.
Rivendell

Aug 6, 9:41pm

Post #10 of 81 (3418 views)
Shortcut
As it should be [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but Tolkien's other works seem to be off the table at Amazon.

As it should be.

The Great Tales belong on the big screen. All the interstitial material (second age, early third age, peripheral stories of the first age) can be left to the small screen.

uncle Iorlas
Bree

Aug 8, 2:00pm

Post #11 of 81 (3201 views)
Shortcut
Personally [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose I am interested in all ideas but especially interested in ideas that match the known criteria.

Mind you, I had some hopes that the criteria might change. Essentially it's Christopher Tolkien who opposes the project, who never wanted Amazon's money in the first place but was outvoted. He owns the rights to all of his own scholarly work, the Silmarillion and the rest.

In my brief time in the running, I had hopes that we could deliver a show sufficiently faithful to win him over and possibly change that picture. No knowing what will happen now. But then, too, there is the more pragmatic consideration that he was born in the second age himself and won't last forever.

(This post was edited by uncle Iorlas on Aug 8, 2:01pm)

uncle Iorlas
Bree

Aug 8, 2:09pm

Post #12 of 81 (3203 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like including Lossoth, I never thought of that.

Saoirse Ronan is an interesting thought. In my heart I have trouble imagining any Arwen but Kate Beckinsale, but it was pointed out to me that her years of being immune to age aren't likely to last long enough, starting now.

I remember my brother, in 2001, saying that the only actor around who would really have pulled off a good Aragorn was Liam Neeson. I agreed and still would, but he is likewise long since too old to carry it now. Although it did occur to me that he'd make a capital Gandalf.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Aug 8, 5:37pm

Post #13 of 81 (3174 views)
Shortcut
If it were me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would reimagine the wider scope of the War of the Ring on the small screen with a later years GOT budget. The geopolitical intrigue of that series with the heart of Tolkien's writing, perhaps with new characters as Darkstone suggested.

2ndBreffest
Bree

Aug 8, 11:03pm

Post #14 of 81 (3126 views)
Shortcut
what i would do [In reply to] Can't Post

First things first, I would hire Peter Jackson immediately and have the first season center around the early days of Legolas. It would be fun to see how he became so cool.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 8, 11:53pm

Post #15 of 81 (3117 views)
Shortcut
The Lossoth [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Tolkien reveals little about the Snowmen of Forochel, though his model for the Lossoth seems to have been the Sami people of Scandinavia. He would have probably suggested that the Lossoth were their ancestors and for role-playing game purposes I have used the Sami language to represent the folk of Forochel.

uncle Iorlas
Bree

Aug 9, 12:26am

Post #16 of 81 (3099 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious [In reply to] Can't Post

What counts as the casting of a spell? Gandalf tries to open the Moria door with incantations; does that count? Or Galadriel's mind-reading?

Agreed anyway about checking new places. We were going to have some time in the Havens (I was fond of imagining that the first episode would open there, sweeping up over the sea to Cirdan, looking far and seeing deep, moments beforw the arrival of a Nunenorean embassy.)

Agreed, also, about not foreshadowing Saruman's betrayal. It would make the Wise seem stupid. If we are to see Saruman before LOTR, we must be as charmed and reassured by him as the White Council was. We must be made to feel that this guy is our mastermind, the man we'd be lost without.

uncle Iorlas
Bree

Aug 9, 1:53am

Post #17 of 81 (3085 views)
Shortcut
The Marriage of Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the more remote notions I had was to do a semi-separate story in a lighter vein. Was thinking of a standalone but it could be worked into an Aragorn show as a plotline, I suppose.

In the years following The Hobbit, Gandalf frets as always over the map, the checkerboard of powers between Gondor and what's left of Arnor. Settling a dwarven kingdom in Erebor is good, but at the same time it is still possible to march a host of orcs from the Misty Mountains to Erebor unmarked. How to build up more defenses, more vigilance?

He thinks of Beorn, as he often does lately, with redoubled respect; Five Armies would have played out very differently without him. His presence makes the old wizard feel better about the map east of the mountains. But he is only one man, however remarkable.

Partly out of these thoughts, partly perhaps in a moment of providential inspiration, Gandalf finds himself fishing among the Numenorean remnants in the north for anyone interested in establishing homesteads further afield. Things play into his canny hands and before long he has contrived to lead a party of settlers of Numenorean blood, two or three families who by chance or design number among them a handful of women of marriageable age.

Under the wizard's guidance they find a suitably fertile and sheltered area maybe half a day's ride north of Beorn's vast apiary. This makes him their neighbor, in frontier terms, so they must of course be introduced, once Gandalf has told them of his proximity. But first Gandalf drops in on Beorn to tell him, in a highly indirect way, of the new arrivals. Gandalf should be operating in the slightly madcap, almost tricksterish vein he inhabits in the Hobbit, throughout. Some representative or other should appear with him; possibly even a young Aragorn could be along? Or Gandalf could be telling him all of this in a frame story. Whatever works.

Anyway, what follows would be light comic fare, driven by Beorn's perennially startling indifference to manners and his independence, set against the novelty of near neighbors, and the altogether unanticipated retinue of unattached women. Some.more.serious undercurrents. I didn't think about it any further really, just got to wondering where all these Beornings came from.

(This post was edited by uncle Iorlas on Aug 9, 1:56am)

LordGawain
Rivendell

Aug 9, 11:01am

Post #18 of 81 (3022 views)
Shortcut
History of Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be interesting to explore the history of Middle Earth more. I would chose to tell the story of the men of Numenor, the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor, and the dunedain. Each season would have it's own characters and story, but all would be linked together in the same fight, against the same evil, and all would deal with the same themes. It would tell one story, but divided over many ages. Some would argue this is not marketable, but I think it could be what makes the series unique. And every season would not only entice fans, but would have enough links with the films so that casual fans would not feel alienated. They would finally understand many of the hints and references and deeper meanings of the original films. Besides, I feel that a show often has a lot of fatigue after a few seasons, since the writers are running out of interesting growth for the characters. Wiping the board clean of characters once in a while could be the strength of the show.

The first season would tell the story of Numenor. It would start with a brief explanation of what has happened in the first age, as well as the lineage of the men of Numenor. I would condense the story line of the many generations of kings into one character, Ar Pharazon, who throughout the season becomes more and more a puppet of Sauron. This would allow for a more nuanced portrayal of Sauron, too, instead of him being this big bad fiery eye in the sky. The protagonists would be Elendil and Isildur, who would have a growing tension with Ar Pharazon. There could be a sideplot in middle earth, were the crafting of the rings of power is moved to fit this timeline, showing Celebrimbor and his deception. The season would end with the attempt to attack the undying lands, showing Numenor's fall from grace, and it's destruction along with the destruction of Numenor's white tree.

The second season would start with Elendil and Isildur arriving in Middle-Earth with a sapling of the white tree, as well as Sauron, who at this point starts wielding his ring of power, and tries to claim the other rings, murdering Celebrimbor. The nazgul, lead by the witch king, first appear. The season would show the line of Numenor trying to defend their two kingdoms and redeeming their people after their attack on the undying lands, ultimately forming the alliance with Gilgalad. Together, they battle on the slopes of mount doom, and Elendil, the protagonist of our series dies heroically. but again, the hearts of men are corrupted when Isildur takes the ring for his own.

The Third Season would start with an explanation of what happened after Sauron vanished, showing the breaking of the kingdom into Arnor and Gondor. It would tell the story of the loss of Arnor, with king arvedui as protagonist, and the kings of Gondor being to devided, and arriving to late to help him. The season would end with the battle of Fornost and the death of the last king of Gondor and the withering of the white tree. The dire situation of the kingdoms of men then leads to the creation of the dunedain, who swear to keep the people they once ruled save from the shadows.

The final season would then focus on a young Aragorn, who is revealed to be the heir of Elendil. He leaves Rivendell, and journeys for the first time to Gondor. On his travels he gets involved in the wars of Rohan and Gondor, fighting for his kingdom under a false name, already inspiring a young Theoden, and challenging a young Denethor unwillingly, with his acts of Valor and bravery. When all conflict is settled in Gondor, he is visited by the wizard Gandalf, who informs him of the necromancer being driven out of Dol Guldur, and asks him to stand guard again in the lands of the north. As Aragorn leaves Minas Tirith, we see a first blossom grow on the white tree again, forshadowing the events of Lord Of the Rings, where the line of Elendil returns to Gondor and restores their kingdom.

The series would indeed feature many characters and be split over many ages, but it would tell one story: The decline of Numenor, and its ultimate restoration.

Half a league, half a league, half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death, rode the six hundred.
'Forward, the Light Brigade! Charge for the guns' he said:
Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred.

Theirs not to make reply, theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 9, 12:56pm

Post #19 of 81 (2984 views)
Shortcut
You are missing a season LordGawain. [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon is planning for five seasons, not four. Maybe you could focus on two of the Númenórean kings: Tar-Aldarion (the Mariner) for your first season; then Ar-Pharazôn. This might be a very good idea considering that Númenor has a three thousand year history.

LordGawain
Rivendell

Aug 9, 1:22pm

Post #20 of 81 (2979 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

I know amazon is planning for 5 seasons. But since its a game, i would only make four. I would say the story of the numenor only really has 4 clear chapters that add to the overall course of history. If pressed, i would suggest a first season concerning the fate of the line of beren and luthien, with earendil sailing up to the heavens, and elros becoming the first king of numenor. But i dont think it would add much to the series, other than showing several events i would like to see translated to the screen.

Half a league, half a league, half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death, rode the six hundred.
'Forward, the Light Brigade! Charge for the guns' he said:

Theirs not to make reply, theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 9, 1:52pm

Post #21 of 81 (2975 views)
Shortcut
Beorn the Chieftain [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting that you suggest an arc for Beorn (perhaps as a spin-off?). We know that as early as the Yule-tide following the Battle of Five Armies, the skin-changer began playing host to the Woodmen of the Anduin Vales as well as any other Men who might have inhabited that region (such as remnants of the Éothéod that might not have emigrated to Rohan). Before long Beorn was made Chief of the people who united under him, calling themselves the Beornings.

We know that at some point Beorn found himself a wife and sired at least one child, Grimbeorn, who succeeded him as the next chieftain of the Beornings. The Darkening of Mirkwood, a campaign book for The One Ring Roleplaying Game, provides its own suggestions for how these events might have played out.

For Year 2963:

After appearing at the last battle against the Viglundings [a rival folk of Northman stock] in the form of a huge bear, Beorn leaves his hall and travels towards the Misty Mountains on a mysterious errand. A few among his followers say that after the Battle of Five Armies Beorn made a similar journey and that when he returned he welcomed Men to settle under his protection for the first time. Some of the Beornings worry that Beorn will change his mind upon his return, and will send them away.

For Year 2964:

Beorn and Gandalf return together from the far north. No more Orcs trouble the Beorning lands for some years. Beorn asks his people for counsel - should they welcome the surviving Viglunding into their houses or drive them away from the Vales of Anduin?

For Year 2968:

Beorn decides that the time has come for him to take a wife. His bride might be the daughter of a simple farmer, a princess of the Woodmen or a strange woman from the mountains. Perhaps he marries one of the companions! In any event, heroes from all over Wilderland attend his wedding at the Carrock. Afterwards, it is said that Beorn's joyous laughter was so loud it echoed off the Misty Mountains and could be heard from the Vales of Gundabad to the Falls of Rauros.

And for Year 2969:

A son is born to Beorn. He calls him Grimbeorn.

I bring up these speculative events because I can see how a couple of them could be combined: Beorn embarks on his mysterious journey only to return with a bride (either with or without Gandalf). Beorn's wife could be a woman of his original folk, perhaps a lost love from decades past. I have to say, though, I have a hard time seeing Gandalf acting as matchmaker between Beorn and a woman of Númenórean stock!

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 9, 2:05pm)

uncle Iorlas
Bree

Aug 9, 2:19pm

Post #22 of 81 (2962 views)
Shortcut
At least five. [In reply to] Can't Post

Five was being treated as a minimum, not sure if that's contractual or financial, but when I first heard about they were saying "five to seven seasons." I heard less of that going on, and to be honest there was a lamentable lack of ambition in there, for people on track to spend a billion dollars. But five isn't a limit, anyhow.

InTheChair
Lorien

Aug 10, 7:22pm

Post #23 of 81 (2748 views)
Shortcut
Wonder if they are going to work the Woses into the series, since they were missing from the movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mind you, I had some hopes that the criteria might change. Essentially it's Christopher Tolkien who opposes the project, who never wanted Amazon's money in the first place but was outvoted. He owns the rights to all of his own scholarly work, the Silmarillion and the rest.

Which poses a question I haven't really thought about before. What is the Tolkien Estate going to do with all the money? It's a hefty sum.

Off topic for this thread though.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 10, 7:28pm

Post #24 of 81 (2743 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn in the Druadan Forest [In reply to] Can't Post

I for one would find an excuse for Aragorn to visit the Druadan Forest and encounter the Woses, either during his time in Rohan or while in service to Ecthelion II. Probably during his time under King Thengel so as to examine the prejudices of the Rohirrim against the Wild Men.

squire
Half-elven

Aug 10, 7:59pm

Post #25 of 81 (2735 views)
Shortcut
But the Rohirrim have nothing to do with the Woses [In reply to] Can't Post

The Druadan Forest is quite far within the bounds of Gondor. If the Rohirrim under Thengel had prejudices against this particular group of Wild Men, it's not made clear in the text.

Yes, Ghan Buri-ghan requests that Theoden arrange for Men to stop hunting the Woses, in return for guidance during the war. But after one glance at the map of Anorien, we can only suppose he is addressing the king as a high-status individual who has the clout to get such a policy into place, not as the man in charge of those Men of northern Gondor who actually hunt the Woses.

And of course, it is Aragorn, not Eomer, who declare the Woses' land a protected preserve within his kingdom, after the war.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.