Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
to be with my Mothers

Alveric
Rivendell

Jul 30, 3:52pm

Post #1 of 4 (576 views)
Shortcut
to be with my Mothers Can't Post

There are numerous references in the books to the afterlife as going to be with one's fathers. e.g. Theoden's dying words, "I go to my fathers." Or of Balin, "Here he must lie in the halls of his fathers."
It always seems like it's men dying and going to be with their fathers. Can anyone think of a comparable saying about women?
(I'm not complaining about the Patriarchy here. Indeed, in the Chinese translations I'm working on, the afterlife lineage system is also heavily male-oriented.) (Still, I wonder, if Eowyn had actually died in battle, would she have broken that glass ceiling?)

Alveric

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 31, 5:06am

Post #2 of 4 (544 views)
Shortcut
That's an intriguing observation. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if it's due to men being the head of the household, and any 'hall' in the afterlife still being considered as under his authority? So mother, siblings etc, would be there too, but not with their names on the property ownership papers, as it were. ;)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 31, 11:50am

Post #3 of 4 (517 views)
Shortcut
To lie with Mother Earth? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know enough to answer your OP, though Ataahua's reply made me nod and think, "Men usually own the property and did the physical labor, so it's nearly always a man's hut/house/castle that one would go to, regardless of gender."
But I wondered about the prevalence of thinking of the Earth as female, and if there might be references in folklore to "joining Mother Gaia" or something similar? All that is outside Tolkien, though.
The strong impression I have of one of the other rare prominent females in LOTR, Galadriel, is that she'll be ultimately reunited with her father Finarfin and any reincarnated brothers like Finrod. Who was her mother again? (See? The mother just doesn't seem to play much of a role.)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 31, 2:29pm

Post #4 of 4 (505 views)
Shortcut
About Mothers [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't recall any particularly apt sayings or proverbs about mothers in the legendarium, but there are a few others:

Mothers are fonder than fathers of their children because they are more certain they are their own. ~Aristotle

Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray (and paraphrased in the comic and the movie The Crow)

God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb

A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb

Like mother, like daughter. ~ 16th century Proverb

Oh! There is this:

Onen i-Estel Edain, ú-chebin estel amin. ("I gave Hope to the Dúnedain, I have kept none for myself.") ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 31, 2:40pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.