The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the lucky July reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 10 2018, 3:01pm

Post #1 of 11 (656 views)
Shortcut
It's the lucky July reading thread! Can't Post

Tomorrow is the eleventh day of the seventh month, and some people regard seven and eleven as being lucky, therefore.... Good luck to us all!

Speaking of good luck, I'm past the two-thirds point of The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane, an odd couple novel where two very different women (and an elderly aunt) end up living together. There's not a lot of plot, per se---it's about each woman finding herself after a difficult period in her life. Just to show you how much I enjoy reading a strong witty voice (or, in this case, two strong witty voices), I was well into the book before I noticed that it's written in present tense, something I usually find very artificial and annoying.

On paper (well, in pixels) I started two different novels but gave up on each of them very quickly. So I'm still catching up with a spate of magazines. Eventually I'll choose something from my TBR stack---stay tuned!

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 10 2018, 3:57pm

Post #2 of 11 (619 views)
Shortcut
A nice beach or vacation book is Grief Cottage by Gail Goodwin [In reply to] Can't Post

We were on a mini vacation in Michigan taking some shopping, eating, beach time in Holland and Saugatuk (highly recommended) and in a book store I saw this book.

It takes place on a South Carolina barrier island and concerns an orphaned boy sent to live with his great aunt. He is swept into a world haunted by the Hurricane Hazel 50 years before and a nameless family that disappeared. His encounters with the ghost boy and his own demons makes for a good story. A bit slow developing but it is easy to read.

https://www.goodreads.com/...450969-grief-cottage

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Jul 10 2018, 6:16pm

Post #3 of 11 (607 views)
Shortcut
Reading through the Dresen Files. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm up to Death Masks. Summer Knight was my favorite so far. I love reading books that feature the Fair Folk.

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

Attalus
Lorien

Jul 10 2018, 6:16pm

Post #4 of 11 (608 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I am still reading on Edmund Morris' Theodore Rex and Faith Hunter's Dark Queen

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhśr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mūmak. But we got him!

Annael
Immortal

Jul 11 2018, 2:37am

Post #5 of 11 (593 views)
Shortcut
Brief Cases by Jim Butcher [In reply to] Can't Post

a collection of short stories in the Harry Dresden 'verse, every one a gem. My favorites so far: the one about the Billy Goat Curse (of course Harry, as a Chicago wizard, would figure that one out!) and the story where Molly shows her chops as the new Winter Lady.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Tintallė
Gondor

Jul 11 2018, 8:54am

Post #6 of 11 (576 views)
Shortcut
The Radium Girls [In reply to] Can't Post

A fascinating, heartbreaking story of the girls and young women who painted dials with glow-in-the-dark radium. Hard to believe that radium tonic was peddled and heralded as a cure-all while these girls were being poisoned at work.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11 2018, 3:06pm

Post #7 of 11 (554 views)
Shortcut
I loved the stories about Bigfoot [In reply to] Can't Post

I had read them before, but it was good to re-read.
The Billy Goat story was great and he got the details right. Now that the Cubs have won the World Series, the Curse isn't quite as relevant, but it was fun to read how Dresden solved the person.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2018, 3:28am

Post #8 of 11 (528 views)
Shortcut
Guards! Guards! Guards! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm dipping back into Terry Pratchett. He's grand to have along on my commute - unless there's an especially funny simile that cracks me up and I almost hit the car in front of me...

Phrases like "the backside of the moon" and "the sunrise looked like a 3 minute poached egg..." He actually makes traffic enjoyable!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Trixie Hobbit
The Shire

Jul 16 2018, 1:30pm

Post #9 of 11 (506 views)
Shortcut
Excellent book [In reply to] Can't Post

I read it with my book club friends. Some of them just could not read it because of the terrible side effects of the radium poisoning on the girls. I did finish it and it is a book I shall never forget.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 17 2018, 3:34pm

Post #10 of 11 (502 views)
Shortcut
It's the heat wave reading thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

When we have a heat wave here in Texas, you notice it! We came out of a restaurant about 1 pm yesterday afternoon to find the car registering 120F Shocked It went all the way down to 100F by the time we got home, though.

Right....

I'm now listening to Jeeves and the Wedding Bells, a novel written in the style of P.G. Wodehouse by Sebastian Faulks. Faulks gets Wodehouse's language delightfully right---I keep chuckling at the way the narrative is presented. The plot is a typical Jeeves-and-Bertie mess of plots gone awry and is entertaining. The narrator is Julian Rhind-Tutt, who I've seen on various TV shows and who does a wonderful job. It's hardly his fault that I can't help but hear Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie as Jeeves and Bertie!

Like Ioreth, I'm reading a Terry Pratchett Guards novel, Thud. This is one of the ones I listened to a couple of years ago but I'm enjoying reading it on paper, too. While narrator Stephen Briggs does a brilliant job with all the voices, he can hardly stop in the middle to explain how names are spelled, or to let me appreciate a particularly good play on words. So I'm discovering the book all over again.

What have you beein reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Jul 18 2018, 1:25am

Post #11 of 11 (474 views)
Shortcut
So You Want to Talk About Race [In reply to] Can't Post

by Ijeoma Oluo.

Uncomfortable and important. Several of my friends are reading it so we're doing a kind of online book club about it.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.