The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Article: Reform the Line: Finding Purpose in Failing

mcmojo
Bree

Jul 16 2018, 5:33pm

Post #1 of 9 (2249 views)
Shortcut
Article: Reform the Line: Finding Purpose in Failing Can't Post

I recently wrote an article for a website I help manage. I'm a big fan of the Middle Earth films, particularly The Lord of the Rings, having first been a huge fan of the books. (I read the books once a year.)
Any way, I was struck by a specific moment the last time I watched the trilogy and I just had to write about it. Here it is:
http://ramblingeveron.com/...-purpose-in-failure/

While my Christian worldview clearly influences how I see this particular moment and the message I take from it, I strongly believe that it can be a powerful moment for anyone, even those that do not hold the same beliefs as I do. The idea of doing the right thing because it is the right thing is something we need more of these days.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Attalus
Lorien

Jul 17 2018, 12:22am

Post #2 of 9 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

Inspirational, and I think JRRT would have approved. Smile

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

mcmojo
Bree

Jul 17 2018, 12:18pm

Post #3 of 9 (2138 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate the kind words.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 17 2018, 7:39pm

Post #4 of 9 (2101 views)
Shortcut
Well done, good and faithful servant. [In reply to] Can't Post

I needed that. Thank you.

Also, great references to Jim Elliot. I've long been a huge admirer of him and his friends, especially Nate Saint. (It's an aviator thing.)

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

mcmojo
Bree

Jul 18 2018, 2:29pm

Post #5 of 9 (2048 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

There is much to admire with those young missionaries.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 20 2018, 8:21pm

Post #6 of 9 (2012 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for this [In reply to] Can't Post

Your writing is inspired and very moving. I will be back to read more of your work. Thanks again, for this very timely and beautifully expressed wisdom.

mcmojo
Bree

Jul 20 2018, 8:23pm

Post #7 of 9 (2008 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the comment! I really appreciate it.

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Jul 23 2018, 8:27pm

Post #8 of 9 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Powerful Article [In reply to] Can't Post

What an excellent read. Theoden is my favorite character outside the Fellowship, so the article resonated with me a little more, and I have also been a missionary myself, serving the people of South Korea for 23 months.

I will never forget your lesson, nor hear the words "Reform the line" quite the same ever again. Thank you!

mcmojo
Bree

Jul 24 2018, 6:17pm

Post #9 of 9 (1943 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your words mean a lot. Very encouraging.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.