Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to Fiesta Friday!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 13, 4:12pm

Post #1 of 18 (313 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, and happy Friday, everyone!

Yet another week has flown by. And, speaking of flying by, I've been watching the little critter below most of the morning. He's a juvenile barn owl who just ventured from the nest box a few days ago and is just getting used to the big wide world - for example, he hasn't completely realized that he's a nocturnal creature. Laugh As many of you know, I'm a big fan of nest cams and was delighted to find this one in a close-by town. There are five owlets, two of which have left permanently, two like this guy who leave at night and return during the day to eat and roost in the nest box, and one who hasn't quite worked up the courage to leave yet.

A while back, poor daddy owl fell prey to the Great Horned Owl pair who were rearing their young nearby, and a few weeks after, mom abandoned the nest. Luckily, the box is one of many sponsored by a local bird rehabilitation group, and they've had lots of experience with situations like these. In this case, since the owlets were fairly big, they kept them supplied with mice, and will continue to do so until they don't return, which means they've learned to hunt for themselves. B.G. and I donated some money to help pay for the mice! Smile

What kinds of birds do you see in your local? What plans do you have for the weekend, and how did this past week treat you? Have a pass at the buffet and order up your favorite virtual libation and let us know!

*puts quarters on juke box* play us a Summery tune, and have a fabulous weekend!

In the picture below, you could swear he's looking right through the camera at you, and saying "Whooos looking at me?! (actually, barn owls don't hoot, they twitter or screech). He still has some baby fluff on his head. I'm calling him a 'he' because he has no spots on his chest (yet), which is typical of male barn owls.

In this picture, he's showing off his beautiful wing feathers.

Happy Weekend!! SmileCoolHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 13, 4:16pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 18 (284 views)
Shortcut
Oh! What a beautiful little fellow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope he and his siblings stay safe enough to fully mature! I didn't realize that Great Horned owls would eat the smaller owls. Frown We've got those in our area, I'll often hear a "hoo-hoo" late at night.

We feed the local bird population, and get plenty of goldfinches, chickadees, sparrows, bluejays, starlings, woodpeckers, and hummingbirds. And turkeys - but I haven't seen the young ones lately, I'm hoping they didn't become snacks for the coyotes and bobcats. (We watched a bobcat catch a squirrel one day: it had climbed up inside the long cylindrical baffle on our feeder pole, and the bobcat whacked the baffle until it fell out!)

Could I have a mocha milkshake, please, Altaira? It's a lovely summery day here, sunshine and temps in the 70s (low 20Cs) and low humidity. We'll be making our final plans this weekend for our trip to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia next week - hubby's finding the "things to do", I'm making sure we have driving directions to every place we're staying! Laugh

*puts quarters in juke box* How about a medley of old Beach Boys hits! So what are you and BG going to be up to?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 13, 4:48pm

Post #3 of 18 (278 views)
Shortcut
Whooooooo are you!? [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! He's beautiful! And what a great rehab group to move in so quickly. It sounds like the 5 sibs haven't suffered from lack of attention and food. Isn't it so rewarding to be a part of this? BG and you should have a pet name for this independent fellow. :D

We have loads of owls, turkey vultures, hawks, turkeys, heron, and all the little birdies in between. My favourites are the wild canaries and my 3 families of hummingbirds who have enjoyed my feeder for several years. I sometimes worry about that feeder becoming a buffet for my 2 outdoor cats ;) But there's never been a success capture... thank goodness!

I got into something when clearing bushes last Sunday... like poison sumac, I think. My arms and face are under attack, but it's not as bad as when I fell victim to the periwinkle outside my home several years ago. This batch I can handle myself here at home. I'm running an ACT test of about 300 young people tomorrow (Sat), so I'm sure everyone will keep a step back... just in case ;)

I hope you have a great weekend, Altaira... and that goes for all my sibbies, too!

*grabs lemonade and oatmeal for poultice*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 13, 4:51pm

Post #4 of 18 (277 views)
Shortcut
Bobcats do that? [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! I love listening to the coyote pups at night... until about 1am... then I'm done! ;)

I'm so glad you've had a break in the weather, FINALLY! And what a great trip you have planned. I hope you can take your time and have a wonderful adventure :)

ENJOY!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 13, 4:56pm

Post #5 of 18 (276 views)
Shortcut
Nature is wonderful to watch [In reply to] Can't Post

but can be tough to watch too. It isn't for the fainthearted, as you know from watching that that clever bobcat. Shocked
How exciting that your trip is getting so close! Sometimes I don't know which is more fun, the planning or the trip (okay, it's the trip, but the planning is fun too). I'm in desperate need of yet another paper purge. Other than that, and watching bird cams of course, we'll be running errands and relaxing this weekend.
Happy planning and preparing! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 13, 5:04pm

Post #6 of 18 (278 views)
Shortcut
Ouch! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear about the sumac-attack! At least it sounds like you know how to fight back. Luckily, we don't have sumac, and poison ivy is rare here. However, I have to wear long sleeves when I trim back our big decorative grasses because the edges are sharp and some kind of something itchy definitely gets in the small cuts. Frown
How awesome that you have hummingbirds that live there part-time! They're common in the mountains this time of year, but just migrate through quickly in the spring and fall where we live. Every once in a while I'll see one enjoying the flowers on our deck as they pass through.

It did feel good to help the young owlets. Once I retire full-time, volunteering there is something we're both interested in.

Have a wonderful, and less-and-less itchy, weekend! Heart

Attalus
Lorien

Jul 13, 5:33pm

Post #7 of 18 (280 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have Great Horned Owls in our neighborhood, too. You could really hear them in Spring but they have quieted down. We have bluebirds, grackles, starlings, redtailed hawks. Robins, and, of course, sparrows. Smile

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Jul 13, 8:22pm

Post #8 of 18 (259 views)
Shortcut
What a fine owl family! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad they are thriving, with help. My garden is small; there are barn owls on nearby farmland and I hear tawny owls calling sometimes as they overfly the gardens hunting. A few minutes walk away, friends sitting out in the twilight recently realised that a short-eared owl was sitting on a tree stump at the end of their small garden - a pleasant surprise!
As for garden birds, all the following visit me: blue tit, great tit, coal tit, greenfinch, house sparrow, dunnock, starling, mistle thrush (not song thrush, sadly), goldfinch, wren, robin, blackbird, magpie (good-looking but not welcome as predates on small bird nests), and very occasionally a lesser-spotted woodpecker on the nut feeder. I'm not far from open land, so hear buzzards overhead now and again - and a sparrowhawk has been known to launch a raid on the sparrows! We have seagulls too, but being only three miles or so from the sea as the gull flies; they don't like coming down into confined spaces - just sit on the roof yelling.
There has been a little rain; not enough to do more than settle the dust really after this hot dry spell, but it feels fresher and will help damp down any grass fire risk areas. The nights are cooler now too, which is a blessing. My tipple is tea tonight, as I will be early to bed; had a rubbish night's sleep last night so have been for a walk on the local beach this evening to try to still my mind and relax.
Fleetwood Mac's 'Abatross' will just about fit the bill for my juke box choice - cheers, folks! Zzzz...

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13, 9:01pm

Post #9 of 18 (258 views)
Shortcut
Oh, gosh, I got a mild case of Friday the 13th [In reply to] Can't Post

First , what a beautiful owl! I watched an eagle's next over the winter, and it's riveting.

I just realized I have a lot of news:
Friday the 13th

I got up super-early today to take my car in for an oil change. I take it to the original dealer that is 25 miles away, because it's 15 years old, and while it only has 103,000 miles, I want them to take a look at it every few months. I have a Saab, which are not made in the US any more, and one of the repair guys at this shop is a Saab fanatic (he has 4 of his own) and he knows all the places to get parts. Apparently there's a whole network of Saab fans, and they keep up with the availability of parts, and tricks for keeping their cars going.
Now, this is 25 highway miles in Chicago traffic, so even on a good day, I have a 45-minute drive each way, and this is "against" the rush hour traffic. We don't really have a reverse commute, so driving out of the city in the morning can be just as bad as driving in to the city. So I left the house at 6 am, intending to reach the dealer a bit before 7, when they open. While driving, I realized that today is Friday the 13th, and I mentally cross my fingers that I have good luck with this oil change.

All went well, and I'm driving back home by 8:15, hoping to be at work by 9:30. Not to be. About 2/3 of the way home, my engine light goes on. We've had some trouble with the transmission, and I was afraid that it finally got to the point it would have to be replaced Unimpressed. I exit when I can, and turn around and go back to the dealer. Car is driving fine, but that light won't go out. This is something I can't ignore, because I am driving to northern Michigan next weekend (about 400 miles) and there won't be anyone nearby who knows Saab cars.
Fortunately, while the 13th brought me a bit of bad luck, it wasn't as bad as I feared. A vacuum pump hose had broken, and it was quickly replaced, and even better, the dealer didn't charge me! Car is working well, and all the nasty lights are off. I did lose the morning at work, but Fridays in the summer tend to be quieter, and with my phone, I was able to keep up with e-mails.
Cutting the Cord
I've been busy the last week or so, eliminating cable TV. One of my neighbors has "cut the cord" and she got me thinking. I had been unhappy with my cable bill, and I was glad to explore less expensive alternatives. Of course, I didn't want to give up my favorite TV channels, but if I could save money, all the better. I have a shiny new Smart TV, so I could take advantage of new technology. My 17 year-old Sony Wega forced me to keep cable, but now I have options.
After much research, and a spreadsheet (of course!) I chose Sling TV and high-speed internet called Webpass. Webpass offers very high speeds, but it's only available in a few cities at this time, and only in multi-family buildings like apartments or condos.

Here's the factors I needed to consider:
  • I needed the high speed internet because I frequently work from home
  • Sling relies on the internet to deliver TV.
  • Sling does not provide all of the traditional network TV channels
  • I have a TV in my kitchen at the front, and my main TV is at the back.
  • The TV in the kitchen is small and is not a smart TV.

Cutting the cord, for me, involved a lot of prep work with all these factors. I had to install mesh wifi because my home is in a brick building that was built in 1893, and my unit is long and thin, so wifi on a traditional router does not cover all my space (even with a booster). I needed to get a HD antenna to bring in the network channels, and a Roku player to bring Sling to the kitchen TV. I wanted to do this step-by-step to make sure each change worked before I brought in the next item.

I finished it all yesterday, returning my cable equipment. As a result, I get about 95% of my previous TV channels, but I now pay about 1/3 of what I paid before. There are some one-time costs for the mesh wifi, the HD antenna and the Roku player, but with what I saved, I will make that money back in about 2 months. In addition, both Sling and Webpass are month-to-month services, so I can cancel at any time. I've been on my new system for only 24 hours, and I'm still getting used to it, but I love it so far!

De-cluttering
Every winter, I set myself projects for the cold months, but one of last winter's projects did not get done. I wanted to go through my books and donate those that I no longer use. I love my books but I have so many that the bookshelves are packed and the overflow is piled everywhere. I got the de-clutter bug a couple weeks ago, and as a result I have nine boxes of books to donate. My bookshelves look like the ones on those home improvement shows where they tell you to eliminate walls of books, and there are no more piles! I did keep my most loved books (I kept all the Tolkien, of course). Now I'm on a roll - I have piles of craft supplies that I want to donate. I don't do the crafts as much as I once did, and I will keep some of what I have, but I know there are charity groups that would love to have my beads and wires. I have two closets that I need to take apart and put back together, and a storage locker.

Now, this weekend looks to be quiet but I'll getting ready to go on vacation for about 2 weeks. De-clutter Part II starts after I return.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'll take a Moscow Mule from the bar.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jul 13, 9:04pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 13, 9:58pm

Post #10 of 18 (250 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy your vacation! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like you'll need it after all that organising!

Your description of setting up your new TV system was enough to give me shivers. I have a pretty basic TV system with add-ons plugged in by those who knew what they were doing, but it really should be streamlined and upgraded. However, the thought of having to wrestle with that technology makes me want to whimper.

Also, I have a bit of a problem with paying for TV. (I've got only the free channels, which works for 90% of what I want to watch but I'm aware I'm missing out on some ground-breaking shows.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13, 10:06pm

Post #11 of 18 (245 views)
Shortcut
My old TV was like that [In reply to] Can't Post

but my new TV is literally plug and play.
I like to watch sports, and the free channels here don't have much, especially my "home" teams aren't local. Most of our sports are shown on pay channels. And I have an unreasonable addiction to the Hallmark Channel, which provides an endless supply of syrupy romantic movies. They really ramp it up at Christmas time and I love all of them, even the stupid ones. Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 13, 10:07pm

Post #12 of 18 (250 views)
Shortcut
One of my favourite things [In reply to] Can't Post

about living next to a forested park is that I get visits from a variety of birds, including tui, kereru and fantails, and (rarely) the occasional silvereye. I also get to hear ruru - one of our native owls - with their distinctive 'morepork' sound.

Kereru are big, goofy birds. One was so heavy, it broke the branch it was sitting on. Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 15, 2:44pm

Post #13 of 18 (215 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous visitors :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I was smiling as I read through your list of birds! I think I have most of those here in Michigan! Especially the robins... our State Bird. They're also my first "sqeeee" in the Spring when I finally hear their wonderful song... so distinct...as they return from going South for the Winter.

I have seagulls here, too. Michigan, being surrounded by huge bodies of water, pretty-much has gulls everywhere. Especially in my surrounding farm fields during planting. We can always tell when storms are coming across the Great Lakes as the gulls move inland (that being me ;)

We also have cardinals, red-headed woodpeckers, bluejays, red-winged blackbirds, orioles, and loads of others. I really need to do some serious investigation of what's out in my yard ;)

I'm glad the weather is treating you well. We really need some rain here in Michigan as we're beginning to have some drought in areas.

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 15, 3:07pm

Post #14 of 18 (208 views)
Shortcut
Action-packed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you have an auto repairman that knows your car! I have a mechanic I completely trust who does excellent work. It really is so reassuring to especially have someone who understands and appreciates your car. Saab and other import parts can be ridiculously expensive! I'm extremely glad your hose problem surfaced while you were still closer to the dealership and before you started your long trip. How awesome they fixed it for free!!! WOW!

I'm in awe of your ditching cable!! Love your sleuthing on how to get a system that would work best for you :) I have a Dish satellite hookup since cable hasn't made it out to my neck of the woods. My internet is through Verizon (w/phone), and it's so freakin' slow! Between the 2... I'm definitely paying more than I want; but options are limited still.

Kudos on the downsizing! I'll bet you still smile sometimes when you walk past those bookshelves and see them all shiny and in order :)

I hope you have a great vacation! AND that you're doing something FUN!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 15, 3:12pm

Post #15 of 18 (211 views)
Shortcut
Broke the branch!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did it scream on the way down!? ;) I'm sure it flew majestically away!

You have so many glorious birds in NZ! I have a book on them, and just marvel at the exquisite variety and beauty... including the Kiwi ;) They remind me of a hedgehog with a beak!

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 15, 3:42pm

Post #16 of 18 (208 views)
Shortcut
I become more of a birdwatcher the older I get [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing critters. The crow babies have fledged so all around we hear them cawing at their parents "feed me feed me!" - it's a particular caw one learns to recognize. I've been enjoying watching the rufous-sided towhees scratching in my garden, eating the bugs, and the hummingbirds who love my "hot lips" shrubs. Robins, a variety of sparrows, flickers, juncos, Stellar's jays, chickadees, red-tailed and Cooper's hawks, and the occasional bald eagle (heard one yesterday somewhere nearby) are typical. Great blue herons stalk the beaches and sometimes people's garden ponds. Nuthatches, red crossbills, goldfinches and pine siskins, cedar waxwings, and evening grosbeaks show up at the feeders. Our hike last week in the deep forest was accompanied by the liquid song of the tiny Pacific wren.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6f1y0MozCI

Had family visiting this last week; got to a great exhibit of Edward Curtis photographs of Native Americans combined with modern-day Native photographers' work with my niece and then went with her to "Ant-Man and the Wasp." This weekend seems to be just one party after another - the summer is in full swing at last. We're having a stretch of 80-degree weather, hot for us but we are not complaining, looking at what others are dealing with!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 15, 7:11pm

Post #17 of 18 (191 views)
Shortcut
Birds make it fun [In reply to] Can't Post

Fun to sit in the yard or go for walks. They decorate the air with their songs :D

I'm so glad you're finally able to enjoy summer... and with family! I'm going to go see Ant Man and the Wasp again :D

I hope you're having a great weekend!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Jul 15, 9:50pm

Post #18 of 18 (179 views)
Shortcut
Your American robin [In reply to] Can't Post

is a much more gaudy character than our European one - and as for the cardinal, well! What a smasher. Today was the day the flying ants went up in my area - they had a nest under the patio - so there were a lot of seagulls around, circling lazily high above and waiting for the juicy little snacks to arrive. I closed the windows just to be on the safe side! Forecast says there may be some rain tomorrow - perhaps the increased humidity in advance of that triggered the ant exodus.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.