Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 12

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 12 2018, 8:42pm

Post #1 of 14 (2342 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 12 Can't Post

Welcome Fellow Travellers!

I hope you're having a wonderful summer OR a tolerable winter (whichever applies ;) We're halfway through the year and on the downslope of the remaining months. I'm FINALLY getting some big projects worked on beginning with clearing out some overgrown bushes.

So how are you coming along with your Quest? Are you making sure you're having fun? That's THE most important part of this Walk... to have fun :D Tell us how you're doing!

My Progress: 31 miles
Cumulated 557miles... 22 miles over the 535 miles from Minas Tirith to Isengard. We've finally made it to Isengard and find Treebeard and the Ents in charge of the place. Saruman and Wormtongue are nowhere to be found. The Fellowship has come to the time when they begin to go their separate ways. Legolas and Gimli say farewell and turn to travel through Fangorn Forest. King Elessar sees us off before returning to Minas Tirith. And the Wizard travels with the Hobbits and Elves as they head toward their homelands to the North. I'm 22 miles into my next chart and Fellowship journey of 693 miles from Isengard to Rivendell as I tag along.

Walk to Rivendell explanation and resources

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 12 2018, 8:43pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 14 2018, 7:07pm

Post #2 of 14 (2287 views)
Shortcut
I am working along the 'cunningly hidden' path to the foot of weathertop [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done 235 miles 'from Bag End', and in Middle-earth progression it's Day 14 of the adventure, October 6th.

In Oxfordshire it has been very hot (for us), but late evening and early morning have been nice for walking or running.

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 15 2018, 12:31pm

Post #3 of 14 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Hoofing it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done! The hobbit's trek with Strider is when the story really started to take a whole new turn for me. Geez, I love this story :D

So glad you're finding your way around the heat and the paths ;) *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 20 2018, 3:18am

Post #4 of 14 (2164 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

How are you doing on your Quest? I hope those who are enjoying the summer months have weather that welcomes some nice walks or other activities (yard work, camping, bike rides, bird watching, etc.). Those dealing with Winter weather are, hopefully, having just as much fun with walks, skiing, or... shall I say it?... Shoveling Snow! I've been doing some serious weed/over-growth action and am building a stack-stone mailbox. It's got to be strong so it can withstand the impact when the snowplow trucks sail down the road at speed and throws the snow about 10 feet into the yard. Let's just say... you don't want to be standing there when they go by!!! ;) AVALANCHE!

Let us know how you're doing! It's always fun to share achievements or commiserate with those who understand how Real Life affects our days. I'm very happy to help you follow any chart you decide to use (if any) either here or feel free to pm me for those secret journeys ;)

The remaining Fellowship, Elves and I are travelling from the Wizard's Vale through the Gap of Rohan/Dunland on our way to Rivendell. It seems strange not to have Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas with us.

My Progress: 33 miles
Cumulated 590 of 693 miles from Isengard to Rivendell. The total mileage continues from the previous chart because it's part of the same journey from Minas Tirith to home.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 24 2018, 3:33pm

Post #5 of 14 (2126 views)
Shortcut
Fleeing from Weathertop, but stopping to count butterflies [In reply to] Can't Post

My progress (July 24) - 273 miles, which would put me nearly to the end of the second day after Weathertop. Went up there in the hope of catching some ghost pokemon, but it didn't go too well...

In reality, I've been enjoying the Big Butterfly Count, a popular science experiment for folks in the UK. You're asked to spend 15 mins counting all the butterflies of certain species you can see (e.g. as you walk, or stand in a garden or other spot, such as the wood I helped plant back in the year 2000). It's a very pleasant thing to do, and no expertise is needed as a chart (or free smartphone app) is provided to help you sort your Gatekeepers from your Speckled Woods. The accumulated data seem likely to be of use for butterfly conservation, and other ecological work.
(More about all this here https://www.bigbutterflycount.org/ )

[Caption - picture of a butterfly I counted]

I also decided that this dry weather was the time to drain my garden pond, which was silting up badly. This much to the disgust of a passing frog which I chased around with a watering can and, for whom I've put out a bowl of water. I wouldn't want to be a frog in this continuing hot weather. Hot? - just had two hobbits come past, thinking they were nearly at some volcano or another....
...then this odd-looking creature that is following them ate the frog.
(OK I made that last bit up - the frog is safe as far as I know.)

~~~~~~
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Jul 24 2018, 3:35pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2018, 11:03am

Post #6 of 14 (2110 views)
Shortcut
*applause* Brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta catch 'em all!!! But I very much prefer tigging Butterflies instead (ref Tig Tog game played by bored Hobbits)! What an fantastic Quest... and in a wood that YOU helped create so many years ago :D Such a rush to walk in those trees never imagining you'd be sharing your story with us on TORn 18 years later! *high five* Just Brilliant!

From Butterflies to Frogs... your days are filled with creatures! I was imagining Gollumy-Frog making a pest of himself. Love the bowl of water in the volcanic environ! For years I had a green frog hang out in my water barrel (rain water caught for watering flowers). At least 3 years he'd hang on the edge of the barrel top and just watch us.

This was SO MUCH FUN! What a great GREAT way to accumulate mileage... and how fortunate to have Weathertop in your rear-view mirror!

CHEERS!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2018, 12:43pm

Post #7 of 14 (2097 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I hope you're enjoying your Quest and slipping in some diversions along the way... like, checking out some Inns for a tasty drink and well-earned rest.

Some of my mileage includes *shudder* cleaning my garage. *swoon* It's a 4-car pole-barn garage that has just enough room to park my hobbity SUV. In my defense, some of it belongs to my daughter, some to her ex (sold the house), some my sister's and some my Mom's. THAT is the stuff I'm going through now. Lots of heavy lifting, filling the truck and toting goods to the Salvation Army or salvage. ;)

How about you? What have you been up to and are you following any of the Fellowship charts? DO TELL :D

My Progress: 31 miles Cumulated 621 of 693 miles from Isengard to Rivendell. The remaining Fellowship, Elves and I are travelling from Isengard to Rivendell. Ultimately, I'm planning on resting in Rivendell then heading to Hobbiton :) I'm wondering if I can find an empty hobbit-hole to buy!

Cheers... and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 31 2018, 11:39am

Post #8 of 14 (2030 views)
Shortcut
July 31st - 290 miles (Oct. 9 - 3rd from Weathertop): 11 miles into a 19 mile day) [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of those miles were on a trip to Dartmoor, Devon, UK. It's a lovely moorland area, including a rather odd castle with an accidental Tolkien association.

[Caption - one of the WizKids ontop of a rock outcrop, or 'tor'.]

[Caption - signpost saying 'Welcome to Castle Drogo' (but not *that* Drogo, I think! A rich merchant had this castle-styled stately home built for him in 1911; it's currently the last castle to have been built in England]

~~~~~~

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Jul 31 2018, 11:39am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 31 2018, 12:18pm

Post #9 of 14 (2031 views)
Shortcut
Waves HI! [In reply to] Can't Post

The last castle of England? Wow... and such a great name :D You have fantastic ways of gathering your miles! Love how WizKid is high atop the rocks just like Weathertop would be :) Such beautiful lands!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 31 2018, 12:23pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2018, 1:11am

Post #10 of 14 (1986 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Fellow Travellers!

I hope you're having a great journey... or at least having fun :D Are you finding time for hiking? Swimming? Shoveling snow? Even a simple walk will add those miles onto your total faster than you may think!

I've been getting some massive yard work done, with ooodles more waiting for me. So I"m prepping the livingroom walls for painting the first time in about 25 years. It's about time ;)

DO TELL how you're progressing and what your plans are in the near future.

My Progress: 28 miles
Cumulated 649 of 693 miles. The Company and I are still... STILL... riding from Isengard to Rivendell. We're approaching the southern edge of the Misty Mountains where the waters that eventually flooded Isengard came from. We've still got a long way to go.

Remember... if you'd like some assistance on getting into the mileage charts to see where you are with the Fellowship, I'm VERY happy to work with you and get you on the path.

SEE YOU ON THE ROAD! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 9 2018, 9:34pm

Post #11 of 14 (1596 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

I hope you're having a good time on your journey :) It's amazing how quickly the miles accumulate!

So how are you collecting your mileage? Yardwork? Snow shoveling? Or could you actually be walking?!?

I'm still doing some major yard work and cleaning out my very packed garage... but I'm still getting in some nice long walks around the block (4-miles of country roads).

My Progress: 30 miles
Cumulated 679 of 693 miles. The Company and I continue our ride from Isengard to Rivendell near the southern edge of the Misty Mountains.

Have a great week... and let me know if you'd like any help with the Charts :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 9 2018, 9:37pm

Post #12 of 14 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Walk Resources... Guides, Charts, etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you'd like some help keeping track of your progress in the Walk to Rivendell Charts, just PM me and I'll be happy to figure out where you are and help you keep track as you move along :) Or take a look at the resources at the end of this post. I give you a step-by-step of how I like to keep track of my progress. The hardest part of using the Charts is to decide which one to start with!

TORn Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! Resources
For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note

FYI - How I track my mileage

gramma's charts
This the link to TORn's Walk to Rivendell and Beyond charts for Bilbo's return journey from the Lonely Mountain. Please let me know if there are any corrections or suggestions you have for them :)

THE LORD OF THE RINGS Charts:
458 miles: Go from[Bag End] Hobbiton to Rivendell.
462 miles: Set out with the Fellowship from Rivendell to Lothlorien.
389 miles: Travel through Moria and down the Anduin from Lothlorien to Rauros Falls.
355 miles: Follow the path of Merry and Pippin from Rauros to Isengard.
484 miles: Follow the path of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli from Rauros to Isengard.
470 miles: Follow Frodo and Sam on the quest from Rauros to Mt. Doom.
517 miles: Ride with Gandalf and Pippin from Isengard to Minas Tirith.
786 miles: Travel with Aragorn from Isengard to Dunharrow through the Paths of the Dead to Minas Tirith.
578 miles: Ride with Merry and the Rohirrim from Isengard to Dunharrow to Edoras to Minas Tirith.
138 miles: Follow Aragorn from Minas Tirith to the Morannon.
120 miles: Return for Aragorn’s crowning from the Morannon to Minas Tirith.
1625 miles: Take the road home with the hobbits from Minas Tirith to Hobbiton.
· 535 miles from Minas Tirith to Isengard
· 693 miles from Isengard to Rivendell.
· 397 miles from Rivendell to Bag End.
467 miles: Follow Frodo to the Grey Havens and return home with Sam.

THE HOBBIT Charts:
397 miles: Travel with Bilbo from Bag End to Rivendell.
570 Miles: Travel with Bilbo from Rivendell to Lonely Mountain.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 9 2018, 9:38pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 13 2018, 1:58pm

Post #13 of 14 (1576 views)
Shortcut
August 12, : 1 mile into Oct. 12 - Day 20 (6th from Weathertop) [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm '- Walking towards 'huddle of hills' ahead'

My recent mileage has been far less dreary than Frodo &Co.s - I've been on holiday, walking with my sister-in-law's family and their dog.

One thing I am getting from this exercise is just how far the Weathertop to Rivendell section is. The book has Frodo miserably plodding forward while the pursuit might be sighted at any point. The miles sort of blur while reading (which is, I expect, just what Tolkien intended). But it is interesting to see how slowly one crawls across the map.

~~~~~~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2018, 2:42pm

Post #14 of 14 (1556 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's definitely something I came to appreciate doing the walk like this. It makes me appreciate the story and their struggles all the more... especially when you think of how easy-going (more or less) the hobbits' lives been like up until this Quest.

Doggie walking is always a fun way to put some earth under your feet... especially on holiday :)

Cheers, noWizardme! See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.