Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Watching Thread: "Good night, Sir John."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 7, 7:43am

Post #1 of 36 (467 views)
Shortcut
The Watching Thread: "Good night, Sir John." Can't Post

I watched three films this week I hadn't seen before.

First up was The Breakfast Club (1985). I'd seen bits and pieces of this film on television, but never the whole thing. Really very entertaining, and can easily see why it's such a classic. So much more pathos than you expect to see in a film about teenagers in high school. Especially when one compares it to more contemporary attempts at the genre.

Next was Guillermo del Toro's film The Devil's Backbone (2001), which I've been wanting to see for a long time. Del Toro has often referenced it as a companion piece to "Pan's Labyrinth" (one of my all time favorites), and I now understand why. There are various similarities throughout the two films (how they begin, for example) and both are set against the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War (this one at the end of the war, PL after the war has ended). I quite loved it, and it's definitely one of Guillermo's best films (IMO).

Lastly, I watched Roman Polanski's Tess (1979), which I also ended up loving. I was not familiar with the original novel Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (nor any other adaptation), so the film was a completely fresh experience for me. Thus, I was swept up in the story and admittedly surprised by some of the twists and turns it takes. It was also the first time I have ever seen Nastajssa Kinski in a film, and, my, what a beauty. She was utterly captivating in the role.

Next up is the 1973 Japanese film Lady Snowblood, which I hope to watch tomorrow. I'm told it was a major inspiration for Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill, so I'm really looking forward to it. Cool

What are you watching?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 7, 12:43pm

Post #2 of 36 (361 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh....The Breakfast Club! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw that when I was in college, so the high school experience was still relatively fresh on my mind, and it seemed like one of the most authentic movies I'd ever seen about high school and the various unwritten rules that governed everyone's social existence. The acting was first-rate too, and I loved the soundtrack.

And thanks for the recommendation on "The Devil's Backbone"--I liked "Pan's Labyrinth" so will have to check out this other movie.

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 7, 3:00pm

Post #3 of 36 (350 views)
Shortcut
Can you describe the ruckus, sir? [In reply to] Can't Post

Always have loved The Breakfast Club, perhaps the best of the "Brat Pack" movies (although there are hilarious parts in Pretty in Pink -- particularly Gedde Watanabe's character Long Duk Dong).

The Devil's Backbone is simply a grand and elegiac ghost story. The appearance of the murdered boy is both terrifying and immensely sad, and a testament to Del Toro's mastery in that type of film.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 8, 11:01pm

Post #4 of 36 (326 views)
Shortcut
On Netflix: The Chalet [In reply to] Can't Post

French mystery/thriller set in a tiny mountain town with only one road which passes over a stone bridge that mysteriously collapses, trapping a bunch of people in town who begin getting killed off. Why? Who? It takes 6 episodes to find out, and while it's a little slow, and spends a lot of time on pretty couples having lots of relationship drama, I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Some things it got quite right. For instance, you'd expect an alpine village to have great views of the surrounding area, but the show goes for a claustrophobic feel instead, which is appropriate, so you forget you're in the alps where you should be taking photos, and instead you feel trapped there, almost never getting any vistas or panoramic views.

In general, I think the thriller genre is getting more constrained in the locations it can use. It's not as believable to have people trapped in a house on a suburban street where all the neighbors are on vacation and the phone lines get cut--everyone knows that every character has a mobile phone and would use it to call for help, so you really have to pick a remote location where there are no cellphone towers. It's seems to be the fridge logic most mentioned on movie discussion boards these days. "Why didn't they use their phone?" I'm still not sure why Frodo and Sam didn't use their phones in Mordor to call in Eagles to help them get to Mt Doom and share their GPS location with Aragorn. But I'm sure Sam text Rosie regularly, which is why they got married so quickly when he got home.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 10, 10:53am

Post #5 of 36 (300 views)
Shortcut
Ozzy and Jack's World Detour marathon [In reply to] Can't Post

There are 3 tv shows I go to when I need to rewind and just be entertained: Fixer Upper (HGTV); Barnwood Builders (DIY); and Ozzy and Jack's World Detour (A&E).

This is a very funny and entertaining series (3 seasons so far) that takes us on the road across the US with Ozzy Osbourne and his handler, guide, driver, very loving son, Jack. On this 3rd season, they're joined by daughter/sister Kelly. If you ever watched The Osbournes reality show from 2002-2005 (MTV), Jack and his sister Kelly were teenagers (Very!) and quite pouty about everything. Although, Jack won my support when he revealed on the show he had a 1st edition of The Hobbit. So it's a wonderful surprise to see Jack in his early 30s, father and husband, as someone who is very down-to-earth and laughs all the time just from sheer enjoyment. He's also been a reserve police officer on the Muncie, Indiana police force for the past several years. Wife Sharon Osbourne also makes appearances throughout the season(s) as well as Jack's wife and 3 children.

Of course, there's a LOT of "bleeping" replacing much of the dialogue as the family continues to be very colourful in their speech, but there's no doubt they're authentic and love each other very much.

Ozzy is suffering from a form of MS and a rock-star life of drink & drugs (sworn off all for many years), so he shuffles and mumbles to the point that he needs subtitles for most of his dialogue... but he's so funny and his family's reaction to him is just as funny.

If you just want to be taken on a fun ride and forget your daily woes, watch the Osbournes in action :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Jul 10, 12:52pm

Post #6 of 36 (295 views)
Shortcut
Making my way through Studio Ghibli's films. [In reply to] Can't Post

So far, I've seen Princess Mononoke and The Secret World of Arrietty. Next on my list is Howl's Moving Castle.

So far, the main theme in the one's I've watched has been bittersweet endings. Everything technically ends well, but the characters end up separated. They just aren't part of the same world.

Also, Mononoke is the film that Disney's Pocahontas wishes it had the guts to be.

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 10, 1:15pm

Post #7 of 36 (289 views)
Shortcut
Miyazaki/Ghibli Recommendations [In reply to] Can't Post

For steam-punkish, Jules Verne-inspired adventure, I would recommend Castle in the Sky (a.k.a. Laputa: Castle in the Sky). Other recommendations:
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, ecological science fiction; technically predates Studio Ghibli
- Grave of the Fireflies, inspired by real events; a brother and sister in the final days of WWII; often described as a five-hanky movie
- Spirited Away, a girl is reminded of her cultural roots when she and her parents encounter a bath house for spirits.
- Porco Rosso, if Disney's TaleSpin was aimed at adults

I could recommend plenty more, but I'm not sure of your tastes concerning Ghibli's gentler output.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 10, 1:16pm)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 10, 2:19pm

Post #8 of 36 (292 views)
Shortcut
Ant-Man and the Wasp [In reply to] Can't Post

The g'son and I saw this over the weekend -- I quite enjoyed it even if it was a little confusing at the start. It was action-packed but humorous in many places. Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly were engaging and Lilly showed all her elf-training wasn't wasted. Michelle Pheiffer is still beautiful and Michael Pena was great. In the middle of the credits was a nod to Infinity War so don't miss that.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Jul 10, 6:14pm

Post #9 of 36 (273 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm planning on watching all of these! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 10, 6:59pm

Post #10 of 36 (271 views)
Shortcut
Terrific! [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I suggest you go back even further into Hayao Miyazaki's catalog to Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro as well as the rest of Miyazaki's output. My Neighbor Totoro is one of Heidi MacDonald's favorite films. Then there are Ghibli films I've enjoyed from other directors:

Isao Takahata:
- Grave of the Fireflies (as previously mentioned)
- Only Yesterday
- Pom Poko
- My Neighbors the Yamadas (I have not seen this)
- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Yoshifumi Kondō:
- Whisper of the Heart

Hiroyuki Morita:
- The Cat Returns

Gorō Miyazaki (son of Hayao Miyazaki):
- Tales from Earthsea (a weak debut)
- From Up on Poppy Hill (shows great improvement)

Hiromasa Yonebayashi:
- When Marnie Was There

Bonus Recommendation: Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water from Studio Gainax. Hayao Miyazaki was involved in the early development of the show which shows many of the same influences as Castle in the Sky. Partially based on Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11, 12:32pm

Post #11 of 36 (258 views)
Shortcut
Just saw it, too :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it as much as... if not more... than the first Ant Man! Lots going on at many levels that all comes togeher. Lots of laughs and lost of well-done action! A must-see on the big screen!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 11, 7:25pm

Post #12 of 36 (246 views)
Shortcut
Wellington Paranormal [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the TV show spin-off of the mockumentary What We Do in the Shadows, following two police officers as they track down monsters that are breaking the law. (As much as it follows WWDinS, stylistically it's very much like the Flight of the Concords TV show - even down to the two lead characters checking in now and again with their boss in a small room with a desk.)

The first episode screened last night and I enjoyed it. The show is as deadpan as the movie and has some inspired moments, but still I'm hoping it'll pick up some more steam as everyone involved settles into their groove.

I think this review is a bit over the top, but I'll share it anyway:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/...y-weve-always-wanted

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 11, 8:08pm

Post #13 of 36 (237 views)
Shortcut
I found some helpful advice in the first episode [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't run in a playground wearing your Ugg boots.Laugh

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 11, 8:17pm

Post #14 of 36 (235 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

double-check your mobile network before performing exorcisms...

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 11, 8:50pm

Post #15 of 36 (228 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

"It's just buffering..." Laugh

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 11, 11:41pm

Post #16 of 36 (222 views)
Shortcut
"Outside of work I have an observational absurdist sense of humour." [In reply to] Can't Post

"5."
"Uhm, Sarge, you should have some more digits in your PIN."
"You mean like..numbers?"

"...sulphur...smelling like eggs...or Rotorua."

"Is that the unholy realm of Hataitai?" (I'm looking for suburban significance in this one, but it might just be tossed out there. It's a pleasant little burb near the airport. Something about the great taniwha Whataitai in Wiki. Anybody?)

(poster in police station) MATES DON'T PUNCH MATES getagrip.co.nz

"She's scaring me, O'Leary. Can you do your 'bad cop'?"
"Stop that. It's a bit scary."

"Yeah, that's more than a mid-life crisis."
"He's breaking the law of gravity, O'Leary."
"I AM BAZUMAL!"
"Bull...! His name is Gary."

LaughThis is my new favourite cop-on-the-street show. Wink
I had to miss it last night. So glad it's On Demand - so I could watch it twice - and take notes. https://www.tvnz.co.nz/...al/episodes/s2018-e1

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 12, 1:29am

Post #17 of 36 (206 views)
Shortcut
And I think that's an Ent causing havoc in the painting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless there's an ancient story from Aotearoa I don't know.
Ra Vincent (The Hobbit set designer) is Designer. It wouldn't surprise me. Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12, 2:17am

Post #18 of 36 (203 views)
Shortcut
*sniff* [In reply to] Can't Post

"...only available to watch within New Zealand..."

WAH! Frown

I loved WWDITS...you are all sooooo lucky...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12, 7:22pm

Post #19 of 36 (188 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely love “Tess” [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first saw it, years ago, I watched it start to finish 3 times in a row. Hauntingly beautiful .

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12, 7:33pm

Post #20 of 36 (184 views)
Shortcut
An Inspector Calls [In reply to] Can't Post

This version of the play, by J.B. Priestly, differs from most other versions in that it actually shows the girl around whom all the story centers. Ordinarily this would be enough to make me not care for a particular version, as I usually am a purist about keeping the story intact as the author meant it to be, knowing that they had a reason for the manner in which it was written. However, the addition of the dead girl’s story told in real time and not only by word of mouth is much more evocative.
This version is the 2015 version, starring David Threwliis as the inspector and our own Ken Stott as the father. Miranda Richardson is his wife. This play was written in 1945 but is placed a few days before the Titanic sank. As one synopsis I read says, it is sharply relevant for today.
This version is very beautifully done, and is available for free on Amazon Prime. If you have an hour and a half to spare, I highly, highly recommend it. I admit to having rewatched it twice in the last two weeks.

Incidentally, Aragorn Elfstone, I recognized Good night, Sir John the moment I read your post. Definitely another of my favorites.

Permanent address: Into the West

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 12, 10:36pm

Post #21 of 36 (163 views)
Shortcut
Just in case anyone's interested in The unholy Realm of Hataitai: [In reply to] Can't Post

I put the question to a friend and this was his explanation.

There is a very long established restaurant in Hataitai called The Realm. It was going when I was a kid and it's still going now. This one was very much an in-joke for the locals.

Always fun to be in on the joke. Wink

A link to The Realm website:
http://www.therealm.co.nz/
I think I might need a pizza and some jazz and a warm fire very soon.
Cheers!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 12, 11:36pm

Post #22 of 36 (159 views)
Shortcut
Heh - and here I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

it was just a funny-sounding phrase. Laugh

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 13, 12:04am

Post #23 of 36 (152 views)
Shortcut
Aotearoa UFO Society Meeting [In reply to] Can't Post

Another funny bit of set dressing on Welly Paranormal Episode 1.
I'm beginning to wonder about this Gary.
"Bring a plate" means a potluck dinner. Or in this case maybe a frisbee tournament.
"Will postpone if cloudy." No kidding. The ISS is coming over town tonight at
7:07 PM, Visible: 3 min, Max Height: 40°, Appears: 10° above WSW, Disappears: 40° above NNW, but the forecast is for rain. Darn.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 13, 12:22am

Post #24 of 36 (151 views)
Shortcut
One time we went to Hataitai Thai [In reply to] Can't Post

and found it to be closed. Shocked

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 13, 12:23am

Post #25 of 36 (150 views)
Shortcut
Ah, shoot, Dernwyn, [In reply to] Can't Post

she's bound to show up somewhere you can watch. It might be a season behind on a disc, but then we're just force-feed catching up on 18 months of 'Coronation Street' here. 'Not one of my shows, but I've been pitying friends who have been zooming through it trying to catch up on weddings and funerals and who knows what all else. See, anything is possible in this age! Laugh If we find out anything that will help, we'll let you know, promise.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.