Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Moot in NYC when the Tolkien exhibit comes to the Morgan Library?

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 4 2018, 6:07pm

Post #1 of 19 (8348 views)
Shortcut
Moot in NYC when the Tolkien exhibit comes to the Morgan Library? Can't Post

It arrives near the end of January 2019; looks like they usually keep their exhibits for three months. I was planning on visiting my niece in Brooklyn sometime in March, but no firm plans yet; would be great to work in a Moot.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 6 2018, 1:48am

Post #2 of 19 (8288 views)
Shortcut
Weather will be better in March [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm waiting to see the beginning and ending dates. Once we have that information we can work on a Moot.
Flights can be tricky in January and February with winter weather, so my preference would be March - might still be cold, but less likely people are stranded.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11 2018, 4:11pm

Post #3 of 19 (7993 views)
Shortcut
Dates published - January through May [In reply to] Can't Post

If we are targeting March, I would avoid the weekend of March 16-17. That's St Patrick's Day weekend and the city will be packed.
Announcement

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 17 2018, 3:33pm

Post #4 of 19 (7538 views)
Shortcut
My niece wants me to come for Easter [In reply to] Can't Post

if that works for anyone else?

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2018, 9:48pm

Post #5 of 19 (7373 views)
Shortcut
Will you be in NYC before or after Easter? [In reply to] Can't Post

Easter is April 21 next year. Either works for me right now.

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 27 2018, 5:24pm

Post #6 of 19 (6491 views)
Shortcut
I'll do a long weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

looking to arrive Thursday the 18th perhaps.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 17 2018, 10:44pm

Post #7 of 19 (5087 views)
Shortcut
arriving Thursday the 18th, leaving Monday the 22nd [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" Saturday afternoon/evening (it's a two-parter), church at St. John the Divine Sunday morning, so will be going to the exhibit either Friday, Saturday am, or Sunday afternoon.

-- Gaston Bachelard

squire
Half-elven

Jan 6, 5:45pm

Post #8 of 19 (1483 views)
Shortcut
March 16 will see the Tolkien Symposium at the Morgan [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect to attend Hammond & Scull's lecture on the show on Thursday, Jan. 31 and the Symposium on Sat. March 16, St. Paddy's Day be darned.

If folks are also putting together something in the latter part of April, Eastertime or so, I would certainly consider a third visit and get-together. The reports from the Bodleian premier of this show last fall have been tantalizing, with many saying the show repays a repeat visit or two.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 7, 6:15am

Post #9 of 19 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Dernwyn is also interested [In reply to] Can't Post

in a Friday pm/Saturday am moot at the library. I'm sure we could work a meal in as well . . . I'll PM all of you in a month or so about this.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Half-elven

Mon, 4:35pm

Post #10 of 19 (691 views)
Shortcut
How does the afternoon of Friday, April 19 sound? [In reply to] Can't Post

My other option is Sunday afternoon, the 21st.

The museum also serves high tea - that might be a fun thing to do before or after touring the exhibit.

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mon, 5:02pm

Post #11 of 19 (682 views)
Shortcut
Friday is good for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's "Good Friday", which we actually get off from work. Sunday is Easter, a busy day for me.

NYC is a 3-hour trip on the commuter rail, 2.5 on Amtrak, but the schedules look good for spending a long day there! Smile

They serve high tea? That sounds lovely!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Mon, 8:39pm

Post #12 of 19 (664 views)
Shortcut
Tea time! [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.themorgan.org/visit/dining

I wish I could do it all with you! If you decide on the high tea, don't forget to make reservations. Food is such a part of any Middle-earth experience, it would be a shame to leave hungry. Wink
Have a blast!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mon, 11:09pm

Post #13 of 19 (659 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am working with some former TORNfolk on a visit, and I'm hoping to persuade them to choose this weekend. a.s. wants to come, which would be amazing, and maybe erather and nerdanel. It really depends on a.s. because she needs a friend to travel with her. Maybe I'll have to make two trips!Smile

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Tue, 1:54am

Post #14 of 19 (646 views)
Shortcut
I'm going on my birthday, April 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait!

I love The Hobbit. Always will.

squire
Half-elven

Tue, 2:51am

Post #15 of 19 (642 views)
Shortcut
Friday or Sunday afternoons would be good for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping this can come together. I've met dernwyn, and erather/Elizabeth very briefly, in past meet-ups in the NYC/Boston area. But I'd love to catch up with some of the others you're in negotiation with! Let me know what turns out to work for most people.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Annael
Half-elven

Tue, 4:22pm

Post #16 of 19 (572 views)
Shortcut
it's coming together! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like it's a matter of how many will make it, but it sounds like you, me, entmaiden, and dernwyn are in for Friday afternoon, and that's enough to start making serious plans!

I'm looking forward to meeting you, having enjoyed your posts immensely all these years.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Tue, 9:03pm

Post #17 of 19 (488 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, no good for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't get off work Friday and celebrating the holiday on Sunday, so unfortunately if it's not Saturday I'm out for the Moot if we're talking Easter weekend. I will get there at some point though!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Wed, 1:09am

Post #18 of 19 (474 views)
Shortcut
You and a.s. [In reply to] Can't Post

can have an emoticon-fight CoolCoolCoolCoolCool

Annael
Half-elven

Wed, 5:04pm

Post #19 of 19 (346 views)
Shortcut
sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Saturday we have tickets for "Harry Potter & The Cursed Child," which involves both afternoon & evening shows. And tea, of course, is only served in the afternoon. Sounds like Sunday afternoon is not possible for most folks.

(People may still be able to get tickets to the play, hint hint)

-- Gaston Bachelard

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.