Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - June 28
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27, 7:08pm

Post #1 of 45 (4841 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 28 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 28, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Expect me when you see me.
(not from the appendices + no text -drabble)

..."He [Gandalf] went off at dawn. 'I may be back any day,' he said. 'At the very latest I shall come back for the farewell party. I think, after all, you may need my company on the Road.'
...At first Frodo was a good deal disturbed, and wondered often what Gandalf could have heard…"

June 28, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
A drabble:

...Soon after Gandalf left, Sam came to work in the gardens. Frodo joined him, tilling around the potatoes and enjoying the summer's routine. They worked silently until Sam asked about Gandalf.
..."He left early this morning," said Frodo. Sam continued working deep in thought.
..."What d'you suppose he heard that made him go off all of a'sudden?" he asked. "I was thinking he'd be with us when…" he broke off, looking around before whispering, "…we're off into the wilds outside."
..."He said he'd be back by then, Sam. Don't worry," Frodo said reassuringly; but he couldn't shake his own concern.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27, 7:09pm

Post #2 of 45 (4767 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler that tells more of the story of the white tree and of Gondor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Council of Elrond: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'In the South the realm of Gondor long endured; and for a while its splendour grew, recalling somewhat of the might of Númenor, ere it fell. High towers... ...and strong places, and havens of many ships; and the winged crown of the Kings of Men was held in awe by folk of many tongues. Their chief city was Osgiliath, Citadel of the Stars, through the midst of which the River flowed. And Minas Ithil they built, Tower of the Rising Moon, eastward upon a shoulder of the Mountain of Shadow; and westward at the feet of the White Mountains Minas Anor they made, Tower of the Setting Sun. There in the courts of the King grew a white tree, from the seed of that tree which Isildur brought over the deep waters, and the seed of that tree before came from Eressëa, and before that out of the Uttermost West in the Day before days when the world was young.
... 'But in the wearing of the swift years of Middle-earth the line of Meneldil son of Anárion failed, and the Tree withered, and the blood of the Númenóreans became mingled with that of lesser men... ...the watch upon the walls of Mordor slept, and dark things crept back to Gorgoroth... ...evil things came forth, and they took Minas Ithil and abode in it, and they made it into a place of dread; and it is called Minas Morgul, the Tower of Sorcery. Then Minas Anor was named anew Minas Tirith, the Tower of Guard; and these two cities were even at war, but Osgiliath which lay between was deserted and in its ruins shadows walked.
... 'So it has been for many lives of men. But the Lords of Minas Tirith still fight on, defying our enemies, keeping the passage of the River from Argonath to the Sea.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27, 7:12pm

Post #3 of 45 (4769 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

1 Lithe, 2941 (S.R. 1341) Midsummer's Eve
1. Bilbo, Gandalf and the Dwarves reach the end of their stay in Rivendell.
(determined from text)

...""They stayed long in that good house, fourteen days at least, and they found it hard to leave. Bilbo would gladly have stopped there for ever and ever—even supposing a wish could have taken him right back to his hobbit-hole without trouble....
......The master of the house was an elf-friend... ...He comes into many tales, but his part in the story of Bilbo's great adventure is only a small one, though important... ...His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all. Evil things did not come into that valley....
......All of them, the ponies as well, grew refreshed and strong in a few days there. Their clothes were mended as well as their bruises, their tempers and their hopes. Their bags were filled with food and provisions light to carry but strong to bring them over the mountain passes. Their plans were improved with the best advice.""

2. Elrond examines the swords of Thorin and Gandalf, and Thorin's map.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)

..."So the time came to midsummer eve, and they were to go on again with the early sun on midsummer morning.
...Elrond knew all about runes of every kind. That day he looked at the swords they had brought from the trolls' lair... "...These are not troll-make. They are old swords, very old swords of the High Elves of the West, my kin. They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars. They must have come from a dragon's hoard or goblin plunder, for dragons and goblins destroyed that city many ages ago. This, Thorin, the runes name Orcrist, the Goblin-cleaver in the ancient tongue of Gondolin… …This, Gandalf, was Glamdring, Foe-hammer that the king of Gondolin once wore. Keep them well!"
..."Whence did the trolls get them, I wonder?" said Thorin looking at his sword with new interest.
..."I could not say," said Elrond, "but one may guess that your trolls had plundered other plunderers, or come on the remnants of old robberies in some hold in the mountains of the North. I have heard that there are still forgotten treasures of old to be found in the deserted caverns of the mines of Moria, since the dwarf and goblin war...."
..."...I will keep this sword in honour," [Thorin] said. "May it soon cleave goblins once again!"
..."A wish that is likely to be granted soon enough in the mountains!" said Elrond. "But show me now your map!""
..."He took it and gazed long at it, and he shook his head for if he did not altogether approve of dwarves and their love of gold, he hated the dragons and their cruel wickedness… …he grieved to remember the ruin of the town of Dale and its merry bells, and the burned banks of the bright River Running. The moon was shining in a broad silver crescent. He held up the map and the white light shone through it. "What is this?" he said. "There are moon-letters here, beside the plain runes which say 'five feet high the door and three may walk abreast.'"
..."What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps... ...and he also liked runes and letters and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.
..."Moon-letters are rune-letters, but you cannot see them," said Elrond, "not when you look straight at them. They can only be seen when the moon shines behind them, and… …with the more cunning sort it must be a moon of the same shape and season as the day when they were written. The dwarves invented them and wrote them with silver pens... ...These must have been written on a midsummer's eve in a crescent moon, a long while ago."
..."What do they say?" asked Gandalf and Thorin together, a bit vexed perhaps that even Elrond should have found this out first, though really there had not been a chance before, and there would not have been another until goodness knows when.
..."Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks… …and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole."
..."Durin, Durin!" said Thorin. "He was the father of the fathers of the eldest race of Dwarves, the Longbeards, and my first ancestor: I am his heir."
..."Then what is Durin's Day?" asked Elrond.
..."The first day of the dwarves' New Year," said Thorin, "is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together. But this will not help us much... ...for it passes our skill in these days to guess when such a time will come again."
..."That remains to be seen," said Gandalf. "Is there any more writing?"
..."None to be seen by this moon," said Elrond, and he gave the map back to Thorin; and then they went down to the water to see the elves dance and sing upon the midsummer's eve."

1 Lithe, 3019 (S.R. 1419) Midsummer's Eve
1. Arwen comes to the City.
(from the appendices)

..."Upon the very Eve of Midsummer, when the sky was blue as sapphire and white stars opened in the East, but the West was still golden, and the air was cool and fragrant, the riders came down the North-way to the gates of Minas Tirith. First rode Elrohir and Elladan with a banner of silver... ...then came Glorfindel and Erestor and all the household of Rivendell, and after them came the Lady Galadriel and Celeborn, Lord of Lothlórien… …and with them many fair folk of their land, grey-cloaked with white gems in their hair; and last came Master Elrond, mighty among Elves and Men, bearing the sceptre of Annúminas, and beside him upon a grey palfrey rode Arwen his daughter, Evenstar of her people."

..."And Frodo when he saw her come glimmering in the evening, with stars on her brow and a sweet fragrance about her, was moved with great wonder… …he said to Gandalf: 'At last I understand why we have waited! This is the ending. Now not day only shall be beloved, but night too shall be beautiful and blessed and all its fear pass away!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 27, 7:15pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27, 7:18pm

Post #4 of 45 (4777 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

Midsummer's Day, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf, Thorin, the Dwarves and their Burglar leave Rivendell for the Lonely Mountain.

..."The next morning was a midsummer's morning as fair and fresh as could be dreamed: blue sky and never a cloud, and the sun dancing on the water… …they rode away amid songs of farewell and good speed, with their hearts ready for more adventure, and with a knowledge of the road they must follow over the Misty Mountains to the land beyond."

Midsummer's Day, 2980 (S.R. 1380)
1. Aragorn and Arwen – A promise is born.
(from the appendices)

..."...for a season they wandered together in the glades of Lothlórien, until it was time for him to depart. And on the evening of Midsummer Aragorn, Arathorn's son, and Arwen daughter of Elrond went to the fair hill, Cerin Amroth... ...and they walked unshod on the undying grass with elanor and niphredil about their feet. And there upon that hill they looked east to the Shadow and west to the Twilight, and they plighted their troth and were glad.
...'And Arwen said: "Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices; for you, Estel, shall be among the great whose valour will destroy it."
...'But Aragorn answered: "Alas! I cannot foresee it... ...Yet with your hope I will hope. And the Shadow I utterly reject. But neither, lady, is the Twilight for me; for I am mortal, and if you will cleave to me, Evenstar, then the Twilight you must also renounce."
...'And she stood then as still as a white tree, looking into the West, and at last she said: "I will cleave to you, Dúnadan, and turn from the Twilight. Yet there lies the land of my people and the long home of all my kin."'"

Midsummer's Day, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf meets Radagast the Brown.
(from the appendices)

..."'At the end of June I was in the Shire, but a cloud of anxiety was on my mind, and I rode to the southern borders of the little land. I had a foreboding of some danger, still hidden from me but drawing near. There messages reached me telling me of war and defeat in Gondor, and when I heard of the Black Shadow a chill smote my heart. But I found nothing save a few fugitives from the South; yet it seemed to me that on them sat a fear of which they would not speak. I...journeyed along the Greenway; and not far from Bree I came upon a traveller sitting on a bank beside the road... ...It was Radagast the Brown... ...He is one of my order, but I had not seen him for many a year.
...'"Gandalf!" he cried. "I was seeking you. But I am a stranger in these parts. All I knew was that you might be found in a wild region with the uncouth name of Shire."
...'"Your information was correct... ...But do not put it that way, if you meet any of the inhabitants. You are near the borders of the Shire now. And what do you want with me? It must be pressing. You were never a traveller, unless driven by great need."
...'"I have an urgent errand... ...My news is evil." Then he looked about him, as if the hedges might have ears. "Nazgûl," he whispered. "The Nine are abroad again. They have crossed the River secretly and are moving westward. They have taken the guise of riders in black."
...'I knew then what I had dreaded without knowing it.
..."'The Enemy must have some great need or purpose," said Radagast; "but what it is that makes him look to these distant and desolate parts, I cannot guess."
..."'What do you mean?" said I.
...'"I have been told that wherever they go the Riders ask for news of a land called Shire."
...'"THE Shire," I said; but my heart sank. For even the Wise might fear to withstand the Nine, when they are gathered together under their fell chieftain. A great king and sorcerer... ...he wields a deadly fear. "Who told you, and who sent you...?"
...'"...Saruman the White," answered Radagast. "And he told me to say that if you feel the need, he will help; but you must seek his aid at once, or it will be too late."
...'And that message brought me hope. For Saruman the White is the greatest of my order... ...has long studied the arts of the Enemy himself... ...It was by the devices of Saruman that we drove him from Dol Guldur. It might be that he had found some weapons that would drive back the Nine.
...'"I will go to Saruman," I said.
...'"Then you must go now," said Radagast; "for I have wasted time in looking for you, and the days are running short. I was told to find you before Midsummer, and that is now here. Even if you set out from this spot, you will hardly reach him before the Nine discover the land that they seek. I myself shall turn back at once." And with that he mounted and would have ridden straight off.
...'"Stay a moment!" I said. "We shall need your help... ...Send out messages to all the beasts and birds that are your friends. Tell them to bring news of anything that bears on this matter to Saruman and Gandalf. Let messages be sent to Orthanc."
...'"I will do that," he said, and rode off as if the Nine were after him.'"

Midsummer's Day, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Wedding of Elessar and Arwen
(from the appendices)

..."...Then the King welcomed his guests, and they alighted; and Elrond surrendered the sceptre, and laid the hand of his daughter in the hand of the King, and together they went up into the High City... ...Aragorn the King Elessar wedded Arwen Undómiel in the City of the Kings upon the day of Midsummer, and the tale of their long waiting and labours was come to fulfillment."

Midsummer's Day, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Frodo resigns office of mayor, and Will Whitfoot is restored.
(from the appendices)

..."If Sam thought himself lucky, Frodo knew that he was more lucky himself; for there was not a hobbit in the Shire that was looked after with such care. When the labours of repair had all been planned and set going he took to a quiet life, writing a great deal and going through all his notes. He resigned the office of Deputy Mayor at the Free Fair that midsummer, and dear old Will Whitfoot had another seven years of presiding at Banquets."

Midsummer's Day, 3082 (S.R. 1482)
1. The death of Mistress Rose, wife of Master Samwise, on Mid-year's Day.
(from the appendices-no text)

...And in the full tale of days, Sam is again parted from one he loves. With a deep sense of fulfillment and understanding beyond words, in his grief he finds comfort and waits for a day foretold.

**With homage to Rosie and Sam with our Kimi's wonderful Passing of Mistress Rose
https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/22857-the-passing-of-mistress-rose

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27, 7:19pm

Post #5 of 45 (4775 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by grammaboodawg [In reply to]

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27, 7:35pm

Post #6 of 45 (4767 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

2 Lithe, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf after Radagast departs and before leaving for Isengard.
(not from the appendices)

..."'I stayed the night in Bree, and decided that I had no time to return to the Shire. Never did I make a greater mistake! 'However, I wrote a message to Frodo, and trusted to my friend the innkeeper to send it to him.
...'I rode away at dawn...'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27, 7:38pm

Post #7 of 45 (4767 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

July 3, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf and Company climb from the Valley up the Mountain.
..."There were many paths that led up into those mountains... ...most of the paths were cheats and deceptions and led nowhere or to bad ends... ...passes were infested by evil things and dreadful dangers. The dwarves and the hobbit... ...by the wise advice of Elrond and the knowledge and memory of Gandalf, took the right pass."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 28, 5:56pm

Post #8 of 45 (4729 views)
Shortcut
Thanks gramma! I hadn’t seen this before. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is just beautifully moving Kimi! *tears* Well done!

"Look, Sam! All the flowers!" she said in delight. "I’ve never seen such colours!" …

… As he raised her hand to kiss it, a faint murmur sounded in his ears. He knew the sound from his dreams. It was the Sea.

In Reply To
**With homage to Rosie and Sam with our Kimi's wonderful Passing of Mistress Rose
https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/22857-the-passing-of-mistress-rose

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 1, 11:13am

Post #9 of 45 (4700 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien certainly liked Midsummer! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many events in Middle-earth that take place on or near Midsummer's Day. Oddly, they all seem to take place in the late Third Age or the early years of the Fourth Age. I can't think of any that are connected to The Silmarillion.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 1, 11:16am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 1, 11:42am

Post #10 of 45 (4692 views)
Shortcut
Overlithe in the 'Hobbit' movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot think of any events in Tolkien's legendarium that coincide with Overlithe, the leap day of the Shire calendar; however, 2940 (which would have been the year of the Quest of Erebor in the Hobbit movies) would have been a leap year. If the company in the films departed from Rivendell on Mid-year's Day then they should have been able to enter the High Pass on 2 Lithe or Overlithe at the latest.

It could have taken a fortnight or more to cross the pass. In fact, the ithunderstorm encountered by the company plus their capture by goblins seems to have delayed them enough so that they emerged on the eastern side of the Misty Mountains on Thursday, July 19.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Murlo
Rivendell

Jul 1, 7:48pm

Post #11 of 45 (4657 views)
Shortcut
More Midsummer events [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are so many events in Middle-earth that take place on or near Midsummer's Day. Oddly, they all seem to take place in the late Third Age or the early years of the Fourth Age. I can't think of any that are connected to The Silmarillion.

I know of one event specifically mentioned in The Silmarillion to have occurred on Midsummer: the start of the Battle of Unnumbered Tears (Nírnaeth Arnoediad).

Additionally, although the '77 Silmarillion simply states that Beren first saw Lúthien in summer, in earlier(?) texts of the Grey Annals (in HoME vol. XI), Tolkien wrote that Beren first saw Lúthien "at the midsummer".

Also, in "The Tale of Years" of the Eldar Days described in HoME vol. XI, Tolkien wrote in a couple of (but not all) versions that the Fall of Gondolin occurred at midsummer, although by the '77 Silmarillion this was written to have occurred on the day of the festival of the "Gates of Summer". I haven't researched this thoroughly myself yet, but I suspect that these versions of "The Tale of Years" of the Eldar Days that mention the Fall of Gondolin at midsummer were written before the Calendar of Imladris (a.k.a. the Reckoning of Rivendell) was invented for LOTR Appendix D. Although modern western cultures consider the summer solstice (a.k.a. Midsummer) to be the 1st day of summer, I think that if the Elves of Gondolin observed a calendar like the Calendar of Imladris, then I would suspect the "Gates of Summer" holiday would more likely correspond with the 1st day of "Summer" (Lairë / Laer) in this calendar, which would have corresponded more or less with Shire "June" 1st (about a month before Midsummer / Mid-year's Day).

Finally, I'll point out that the special millennial-leap-days in the Kings' Reckoning calendar of Númenor, Arnor, and Gondor most likely occurred around Midsummer, by tripling its Mid-Year's Day in those millennial-leap-years, although this is never specifically stated by Tolkien. It would make sense, though, since normal leap-days in this calendar occurred at Midsummer by doubling its Mid-year's Day in leap-years, similar to the Shire Calendar adding its Overlithe leap-day between Mid-year's Day and 2 Lithe in leap-years. If the Shire Calendar also observed these millennial-leap-years (in T.A. 2000 for example), then I suspect it would have added an additional Overlithe to that year, probably between 1 Lithe and Mid-year's Day, with the "usual" Overlithe still between Mid-year's Day and 2 Lithe.

Also, although Tolkien never specifically stated this either, I suspect that when Mardil the Steward added 2 days to the last year of the Kings’ Reckoning in T.A. 2059 (before the Stewards' Reckoning took effect the following year), he accomplished the 2-day addition by turning that year into a millennial-leap-year, and I suspect Hador the Steward did the same to T.A. 2360, making T.A. 2059 and T.A. 2360 years with a triple-midsummer. See my page on The Kings' Reckoning Rules and the Deficit for more details on my reasoning for these ideas.

(This post was edited by Murlo on Jul 1, 7:52pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 2, 12:11am

Post #12 of 45 (4631 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the additional notes on Midsummer, even if some of them can't be confirmed as primary canon. The notes on Beren and Lúthien are especially significant as they parallel the story of Aragorn and Arwen.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4, 7:20pm

Post #13 of 45 (4576 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

July 4, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Boromir sets out from Minas Tirith.
(from the appendices)
[Boromir speaking to the Council of Elrond] "'...a dream came to my brother in a troubled sleep; and afterwards a like dream came oft to him again, and once to me.
..."'In that dream I thought the eastern sky grew dark and there was a growing thunder, but in the West a pale light lingered, and out of it I heard a voice, remote but clear, crying:

Seek for the Sword that was broken:

In Imladris it dwells;

There shall be counsel taken

Stronger than Morgul-spells.

There shall be shown a token

That Doom is near at hand,

For Isildur's Bane shall waken,

And the Halfling forth shall stand.

...'Of these words we could understand little, and we spoke to our father, Denethor... ...wise in the lore of Gondor. This only would he say, that Imladris was of old the name among the Elves of a far northern dale, where Elrond the Halfelven dwelt, greatest of lore-masters. Therefore... ...I took the journey upon myself. Loth was my father to give me leave, and long have I wandered by roads forgotten, seeking the house of Elrond, of which many had heard, but few knew where it lay.'"

Gandalf lights the sky!

..."The fireworks were by Gandalf: they were not only brought by him, but designed and made by him; and the special effects, set pieces, and flights of rockets were let off by him. But there was also a generous distribution of squibs, crackers, backarappers, sparklers, torches, dwarf-candles, elf-fountains, goblin-barkers and thunder-claps. They were all superb....
......There were rockets like a flight of scintillating birds singing with sweet voices. There were green trees with trunks of dark smoke: their leaves opened like a whole spring unfolding in a moment, and their shining branches dropped glowing flowers down upon the astonished hobbits, disappearing with a sweet scent just before they touched their upturned faces. There were fountains of butterflies that flew glittering into the trees; there were pillars of coloured fires that rose and turned into eagles, or sailing ships, or a phalanx of flying swans; there was a red thunderstorm and a shower of yellow rain; there was a forest of silver spears that sprang suddenly into the air with a yell like an embattled army, and came down again into the Water with a hiss like a hundred hot snakes. And... ...in honour of Bilbo... ...A great smoke went up. It shaped itself like a fountain seen in the distance, and began to flow at the summit. It sprouted green and scarlet flames. Out flew a red-golden dragon—not life-size, but terribly life-like: fire came from his jaws, his eyes glared down; there was a roar, and he whizzed three times over the heads of the crowd. They all ducked, and many fell flat on their faces. The dragon passed like an express train, turned a somersault, and burst over Bywater with a deafening explosion."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 5, 2:31pm

Post #14 of 45 (4521 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

During these quiet days of events, let's take a long look (7-parts during July) at changes for the Noldor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of the Flight of the Noldor: The Silmarillion

... "...a great concourse gathered about the Ring of Doom; and the Valar sat in shadow, for it was night. But the stars of Varda now glimmered overhead, and the air was clear; for the winds of Manwë has driven away the vapours of death... ...Then Yavanna arose and stood upon Ezellohar, the Green Mound, but it was bare now and black; and she laid her hands upon the Trees, but they were dead and dark, and each branch that she touched broke and fell lifeless at her feet. Then many voices were lifted in lamentation... ...it seemed to those that mourned that they had drained to the dregs the cup of woe that Melkor had filled for them. But it was not so.
... Yavanna spoke... ...saying: "The Light of the Trees has passed away, and lives now only in the Silmarils of Fëanor. Foresighted was he! Even for those who are mightiest under Ilúvatar there is some work that they may accomplish once, and once only. The Light of the Trees I brought into being, and within Eä I can do so never again. Yet had I but a little of that light I could recall life to the Trees, ere their roots decay; and then our hurt should be healed, and the malice of Melkor be confounded.'
... Then Manwë spoke... '...Hearest thou, Fëanor son of Finwë, the words of Yavanna? Wilt thou grant what she would ask?'
... There was long silence, but Fëanor answered no word. Then Tulkas cried: 'Speak, O Noldo, yea or nay! But who shall deny Yavanna? And did not the light of the Silmarils come from her work in the beginning?'
... But Aulë the Maker said: 'Be not hasty! We ask a greater thing than thou knowest. Let him have peace yet awhile.'""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 5, 9:27pm

Post #15 of 45 (4514 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Bracegirdle! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 6, 11:52am

Post #16 of 45 (4482 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

July 6, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf continues his ride to Isengard.
...[Gandalf still rides to] "the dwelling of Saruman... ...far south in Isengard, in the end of the Misty Mountains, not far from the Gap of Rohan... ...a great open vale that lies between the Misty Mountains and the northmost foothills of Ered Nimrais, the White Mountains... ...Isengard is a circle of sheer rocks that enclose a valley as with a wall, and in the midst of that valley is a tower of stone called Orthanc... ...not made by Saruman, but by the Men of Númenor long ago; and it is very tall and has many secrets; yet it looks not to be a work of craft. It cannot be reached save by passing the circle of Isengard; and in that circle there is only one gate.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 7, 12:24pm

Post #17 of 45 (4469 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

July 7, 1999
(Official press release)
1. ELIJAH WOOD IS FIRST TO JOIN CAST OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN'S "THE LORD OF THE RINGS" FOR NEW LINE CINEMA AND DIRECTOR PETER JACKSON
..."(Los Angeles, July 7, 1999) - Elijah Wood has been cast in the lead role of New Line Cinema's live action, special effects-packed trilogy of films based on J.R.R. Tolkien's internationally renowned fantasy novel The Lord of the Rings, it was jointly announced today by director Peter Jackson, Michael De Luca, President and Chief Operating Officer of New Line Productions, and Mark Ordesky, President of Fine Line Features.
...In joining the cast, Wood has committed to a project of unparalleled size and scope. Production on the highly anticipated serial is expected to begin by early October and principal photography will last more than a year, according to Jackson, who also serves as co-writer and co-producer of the fabled franchise.
...The three Lord of the Rings films, beginning with The Fellowship of the Rings, will be produced consecutively and shot on location in New Zealand. Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Stephen Sinclair have completed their script for Part One: The Fellowship of the Rings and additional casting is currently underway.
..."In casting this critical role, we knew we had to find an actor of great depth of range to take an audience on a journey through three movies," Jackson said. "While we looked at many good actors, it was clear from the moment that we met Elijah that we had found Frodo Baggins. He has an enormous natural ability to draw an audience into a story and the dramatic depth to hold them there."
...Set in a mythic pre-history, The Lord of the Rings tells the saga of a desperate battle against encroaching evil - a perilous quest to save humanity which falls upon the shoulders of young Frodo Baggins (Woods), who has inherited a seemingly innocent magic ring from his elderly cousin Bilbo.
...Frodo soon learns that the ring's original maker, the Dark Lord Sauron, is desperately seeking it - for it is a ring of great evil which will enable Sauron to enslave the people of this land known as Middle-earth. A hurriedly assembled fellowship of wizard, elf, dwarf and men accompany Frodo and his friends on a harrowing mission across Middle-earth in an attempt to destroy the ring by casting it into the volcanic fires in the Crack of Doom. Against them rages the monstrous power of Sauron, whose sinister emissaries ruthlessly pursue Frodo and his companions, while the omnipotent power of the ring attempts to corrupt the Fellowship from within.
...New Line picked-up the rights to Lord of the Rings from Miramax Films last August. Miramax co-chairmen Bob and Harvey Weinstein serve as executive producers of the films along with Saul Zaentz."

Siân Clement
3 Foot 6

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 8, 12:13pm

Post #18 of 45 (4343 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 2 of a 7-part Book Spoiler that continues a long look at changes for the Noldor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "…Fëanor spoke… …and cried bitterly: 'For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest. It may be that I can unlock my jewels, but never again shall I make their like; and if I must break them, I shall break my heart, and I shall be slain; first of all the Eldar in Aman.'
... 'Not the first,' said Mandos, but they did not understand… …again there was silence, while Fëanor brooded in the dark. It seemed to him that he was beset in a ring of enemies, and the words of Melkor returned to him, saying that the Silmarils were not safe, if the Valar would possess them. 'And is he not Vala as are they,' said his thought, 'and does he not understand their hearts? Yea, a thief shall reveal thieves!' Then he cried aloud: 'This thing I will not do of free will. But if the Valar will constrain me, then shall I know indeed that Melkor is of their kindred.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9, 11:59am

Post #19 of 45 (4254 views)
Shortcut

This is part 3 of a 7-part Book Spoiler that takes a long look at changes for the Noldor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "Then Mandos said [to Feanor]: 'Thou hast spoken.' And Nienna arose and went up onto Ezellohar, and cast back her grey hood, and with her tears washed away the defilements of Ungoliant; and she sang in mourning for the bitterness of the world and the Marring of Arda...
... …even as Nienna mourned, there came messengers from Formenos, and they were Noldor and bore new tidings of evil… …they told how a blind Darkness came northward… …in the midst walked some power for which there was no name, and the Darkness issued from it. But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark… …Melkor had broken the stronghold of Formenos, and taken all the Jewels of the Noldor that were hoarded in that place; and the Silmarils were gone.
... Then Fëanor rose, and lifting up his hand before Manwë he cursed Melkor, naming him Morgoth, the Black Foe of the World; and by that name only was he known to the Eldar ever after. And he cursed also the summons of Manwë and the hour in which he came to Taniquetil, thinking in the madness of his rage and grief that had he been at Formenos his strength would have availed more than to be slain also, as Melkor had purposed. Then Fëanor ran from the Ring of Doom… …into the night; for his father was dearer to him than the Light of Valinor or the peerless works of his hands…"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 10, 10:11am

Post #20 of 45 (4144 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

July 10, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf imprisoned in Orthanc
(from the appendices)
..."'Late one evening I came to the gate, like a great arch in the wall of rock; and it was strongly guarded. But the keepers of the gate were on the watch for me and told me that Saruman awaited me. I rode under the arch, and the gate closed silently behind me, and suddenly I was afraid, though I knew no reason for it. But I rode to the foot of Orthanc, and came to the stair of Saruman; and there he met me and led me up to his high chamber. He wore a ring on his finger.' '"So you have come, Gandalf,' he said to me gravely..."
...'"...Yes, I have come," I said. "I have come for your aid, Saruman the White." And that title seemed to anger him.
...'"Have you indeed, Gandalf the Grey!" he scoffed. "For aid? It has seldom been heard of that Gandalf the Grey sought for aid, one so cunning and so wise, wandering about the lands, and concerning himself in every business, whether it belongs to him or not..."

...'"...here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman, the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!" 'I looked then and saw that his robes, which had seemed white, were not so, but were woven of all colours, and if he moved they shimmered and changed hue so that the eye was bewildered.
...'"I liked white better,' I said.
...'"White!" he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."
...'"In which case it is no longer white," said I... '

...'...He came and laid his long hand on my arm... he whispered. "... I have many eyes in my service, and I believe that you know where this precious thing now lies. Is it not so? Or why do the Nine ask for the Shire, and what is your business there?" As he said this a lust which he could not conceal shone suddenly in his eyes.
...'"Saruman," I said, standing away from him, "only one hand at a time can wield the One, and you know that well, so do not trouble to say we! But I would not give it, nay, I would not give even news of it to you, now that I learn your mind. You were head of the Council, but you have unmasked yourself at last. Well, the choices are... ...to submit to Sauron, or to yourself. I will take neither. Have you others to offer?"
...'He was cold now and perilous. "Yes," he said. "I did not expect you to show wisdom, even in your own behalf; but I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly, and so saving yourself much trouble and pain. The third choice is to stay here, until the end."
...'"Until what end?"
...'"Until you reveal to me where the One may be found..."
...'They took me and they set me alone on the pinnacle of Orthanc, in the place where Saruman was accustomed to watch the stars. There is no descent save by a narrow stair of many thousand steps, and the valley below seems far away. I looked on it and saw that, whereas it had once been green and fair, it was now filled with pits and forges. Wolves and orcs were housed in Isengard, for Saruman was mustering a great force on his own account, in rivalry of Sauron and not in his service yet... ...I stood alone on an island in the clouds; and I had not chance of escape, and my days were bitter. I was pierced with cold, and I had but little room in which to pace to and fro, brooding on the coming of the Riders to the North.... ...I was in an evil plight. And those of you who know me will agree that I have seldom been in such need, and do not bear such misfortune well. Gandalf the Grey caught like a fly in a spider's treacherous web! Yet even the most subtle spiders may leave a weak thread.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11, 12:27pm

Post #21 of 45 (4128 views)
Shortcut

This is part 4 of a 7-part Book Spoiler that takes a long look at changes for the Noldor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "Many there grieved for the anguish of Fëanor, but his loss was not his alone... ...Yavanna wept by the mound, in fear that the Darkness should swallow the last rays of the Light of Valinor for ever. For though the Valar... ...perceived that Melkor had called upon some aid that came from beyond Arda. The Silmarils had passed away, and... ...now the doom of the Noldor drew near.
... Meanwhile Morgoth escaping from the pursuit of the Valar came to the wastes of Araman. This land lay northward between the Mountains of the Pelóri and the Great Sea... ...between the shores and the mountains were barren plains, ever colder as the Ice drew nearer. Through this region Morgoth and Ungoliant passed in haste, and so came through the great mists of Oiomúrë to the Helcaraxë, where the strait between Araman and Middle-earth was filled with grinding ice; and he crossed over, and came back at last to the north of the Outer Lands. Together they went on, for Morgoth could not elude Ungoliant... ...her cloud was still about him, and all her eyes were upon him; and they came to those lands that lay north of the Firth of Drengist..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 12, 11:52am

Post #22 of 45 (4093 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is part 5 of a 7-part Book Spoiler that takes a long look at changes for the Noldor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..." Now when it was known that Morgoth had escaped from Valinor and pursuit was unavailing, the Valar remained long seated in darkness in the Ring of Doom, and the Maiar and the Vanyar stood beside them and wept; but the Noldor for the most part returned to Tirion and mourned for the darkening of their fair city... ...fogs drifted in from the shadowy seas and mantled its towers, and the lamp of the Mindon burned pale in the gloom.
... ...Morgoth was drawing near to the ruins of Angband, where his great western stronghold had been; and Ungoliant perceived his hope, and knew that here he would seek to escape from her, and she stayed him, demanding that he fulfil his promise.
... 'Blackheart!' she said. 'I have done thy bidding. But I hunger still.'
... 'What wouldst thou have more?' said Morgoth. 'Dost thou desire all the world for thy belly? I did not vow to give thee that. I am its Lord.'
... 'Not so much... ...But thou hast a great treasure from Formenos; I will have all that. Yea, with both hands thou shalt give it'.
... ...Morgoth surrendered to her the gems that he bore with him, one by one and grudgingly; and she devoured them, and their beauty perished from the world. Huger and darker yet grew Ungoliant, but her lust was unsated. 'With one hand thou givest,' she said; 'with the left only. Open thy right hand.'
... In his right hand Morgoth held close the Silmarils, and though they were locked in a crystal casket, they had begun to burn him, and his hand was clenched in pain; but he would not open it 'Nay!.. ...Thou hast had thy due. For with my power that I put into thee thy work was accomplished. I need thee no more. These things thou shalt not have, nor see. I name them unto myself for ever.'... But Ungoliant had grown great, and he less by the power that had gone out of him; and she rose against him, and her cloud closed about him, and she enmeshed him in a web of clinging thongs to strangle him... ...Morgoth sent forth a terrible cry, that echoed in the mountains."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 13, 10:14am

Post #23 of 45 (4061 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

July 13, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Company endures the Mountains.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Long days after they had climbed out of the valley and left the Last Homely House miles behind, they were still going up and up... ...It was a hard path and a dangerous path, a crooked way and a lonely and a long. Now they could look back over the lands they had left, laid out behind them far below. Far, far away in the West, where things were blue and faint, Bilbo knew there lay his own country of safe and comfortable things, and his little hobbit-hole. He shivered. It was getting bitter cold up here... ...Boulders... ...at times came galloping down the mountain-sides, let loose by mid-day sun upon the snow, and passed among them (which was lucky), or over their heads (which was alarming). The nights were comfortless and chill, and they did not dare to sing or talk too loud, for the echoes were uncanny, and the silence seemed to dislike being broken—except by the noise of water and the wail of wind and the crack of stone."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 14, 9:50am

Post #24 of 45 (4048 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 14 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

July 14, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The mood of the Company goes south.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
...""The summer is getting on down below," thought Bilbo, "and haymaking is going on and picnics. They will be harvesting and blackberrying, before we even begin to go down the other side at this rate." And the others were thinking equally gloomy thoughts, although when they had said good-bye to Elrond in the high hope of a midsummer morning, they had spoken gaily of the passage of the mountains... ...They had thought of coming to the secret door in the Lonely Mountain, perhaps that very next first moon of Autumn—"and perhaps it will be Durin's Day" they had said. Only Gandalf had shaken his head and said nothing. Dwarves had not passed that way for many years, but Gandalf had... ...knew how evil and danger had grown and thriven in the Wild, since the dragons had driven men from the lands, and the goblins had spread in secret after the battle of the Mines of Moria."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 14, 12:17pm

Post #25 of 45 (4038 views)
Shortcut
First Moon of Autumn? [In reply to] Can't Post

They had thought of coming to the secret door in the Lonely Mountain, perhaps that very next first moon of Autumn—"and perhaps it will be Durin's Day" they had said.

This is a very odd sentence that was corrected in 1995 to read: "that very next last moon of Autumn..." Not that the passage makes very much sense either way. The author, through Thorin had already explained--twice!--that Durin's Day coincided with the first day of the dwarves' new year: "the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter." Even if the company reached the Lonely Mountain by the beginning of Autumn, there is no way they could rush the coming of Durin's Day. At best, they might have found some alternate way into the Mountain or a method of finding and opening the Secret Door early--but this is not what is stated. And even with the 1995 change, the last moon of Autumn is the latest that they could arrive without expecting to have to wait at least an additional year before being able to enter Erebor.

In either case, the 1937 passage seems to represent a textual error that Tolkien never caught, or at least never corrected in his lifetime.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.