Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Hobbit read-through volunteers - anyone like to introduce a chapter?

noWizardme
Valinor

Jul 9, 11:18am

Post #1 of 15 (1819 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit read-through volunteers - anyone like to introduce a chapter? Can't Post

We are about half way through now, and so I thought I'd check if anyone else would like to introduce a chapter.

The schedule so far is as below. If no name is shown against the chapter, it's currently me. I'm happy to do any or all introductions that are left, so there is no need for anyone to volunteer reluctantly. On the other hand, its always possible that somebody would like to introduce a chapter, if only someone would ask!

Of the remaining chapters, the one it would be most convenient to hand over is Inside Information (to be introduced on 5th August). That's because I'm travelling the week of that discussion, and so while I can do it, I will have less opportunity than usual.

If you would like to introduce a chapter, please reply to this thread. It's helpful if you can use the chapter title as the title of your post (so, if you want to introduce 'Inside Information', that's what you call your reply). That makes it easier to see which chapters have already been taken.

15-Jul-18 ~~ 9 ~~ Barrels Out Of Bond ~~
22-Jul-18 ~~ 10 ~~ A Warm Welcome ~~ hanne
29-Jul-18 ~~ 11 ~~ On The Doorstep ~~ squire
05-Aug-18 ~~ 12 ~~ Inside Information ~~
12-Aug-18 ~~ 13 ~~ Not At Home ~~
19-Aug-18 ~~ 14 ~~ Fire And Water ~~
26-Aug-18 ~~ 15 ~~ The Gathering Of The Clouds ~~
02-Sep-18 ~~ 16 ~~ A Thief In The Night ~~ sador
09-Sep-18 ~~ 17 ~~ The Clouds Burst ~~ Petty Dwarf
16-Sep-18 ~~ 18 ~~ The Return Journey ~~
23-Sep-18 ~~ 19 ~~ The Last Stage ~~

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Jul 9, 12:57pm

Post #2 of 15 (1764 views)
Shortcut
I'm really sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

After seeing everyone else's extremely in-depth, thoughtful introductions, I don't feel like I'm up to doing the same. I'm not that great at getting to the themes of a book, as anyone who's ever shared a literature class with me can tell you!

In light of this, could I actually be removed from the list? Sorry again.

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

noWizardme
Valinor

Jul 9, 1:10pm

Post #3 of 15 (1752 views)
Shortcut
No problems - would anyone like to take over 'The Clouds Burst'? //. [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 9, 1:10pm

Post #4 of 15 (1755 views)
Shortcut
It might be fun to take on "The Return Journey" [In reply to] Can't Post

There are actually some interesting things in that chapter that tie into later events in Middle-earth. And the Queen City Conquest gaming convention (Buffalo, NY) is on the first weekend in September this year, well before the start date for the discussion.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

noWizardme
Valinor

Jul 9, 1:13pm

Post #5 of 15 (1747 views)
Shortcut
Thanks - that's yours then, Otaku-sempai // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

Roverandom
The Shire

Jul 9, 6:57pm

Post #6 of 15 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Inside Information [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm more than willing to lead the discussion, especially since it's a difficult week for you. This chapter is actually one of my favorites, but I've already led once and want to give others a chance who haven't. If no one else steps up, you can count on me.

For just as there has always been a Richard Webster, so too has there been a Black Scout of the North to greet him at the door on the sill of the evening and to guard him through his darkest dreams.

noWizardme
Valinor

Jul 9, 8:15pm

Post #7 of 15 (1732 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect there are more than enough chapters to go round, so I'll take your kind offer! Inside Information is yours.

~~~~~~

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Jul 11, 11:29pm

Post #8 of 15 (1685 views)
Shortcut
I could take Barrels out of Bond of your hands! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it would be fun and different to lead two together! And the two main Bilbo ones as well. Only thing is it might not be until Tuesday next week that I post as I am going away at the weekend.

noWizardme
Valinor

Jul 12, 11:39am

Post #9 of 15 (1680 views)
Shortcut
I'm all set for barrels, thanks... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but do contribute your further points in reply to my OP. As usual, there's no chance of the introductory post exhausting all of the topics for discussion!

Do feel free to take a later chapter, but only if if you'd like to.

~~~~~~

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Jul 12, 11:39am)

noWizardme
Valinor

Jul 15, 10:19am

Post #10 of 15 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Here's the schedule as it is now [In reply to] Can't Post

15-Jul-18 ~~ 9 ~~ Barrels Out Of Bond ~~ noWiz
22-Jul-18 ~~ 10 ~~ A Warm Welcome ~~ hanne
29-Jul-18 ~~ 11 ~~ On The Doorstep ~~ squire
05-Aug-18 ~~ 12 ~~ Inside Information ~~ Roverandom
12-Aug-18 ~~ 13 ~~ Not At Home ~~
19-Aug-18 ~~ 14 ~~ Fire And Water ~~
26-Aug-18 ~~ 15 ~~ The Gathering Of The Clouds ~~
02-Sep-18 ~~ 16 ~~ A Thief In The Night ~~ sador
09-Sep-18 ~~ 17 ~~ The Clouds Burst ~~
16-Sep-18 ~~ 18 ~~ The Return Journey ~~ Otaku-sempai 
23-Sep-18 ~~ 19 ~~ The Last Stage ~~

~~~~~~

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 16, 8:56pm

Post #11 of 15 (1567 views)
Shortcut
Phew! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm already drafting my read-through for "The Return Journey" (which doesn't cover quite as much ground as I thought, ending before Bilbo and Gandalf reach Rivendell). Even so, this is going to be fairly long, and I might have to spit it up into two or more posts (maybe: The Aftermath of Battle; Wintering with Beorn; Across the Misty Mountains). I am anticipating an interesting question concerning royal succession and the Line of Durin.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 16, 9:04pm)

noWizardme
Valinor

Jul 16, 9:51pm

Post #12 of 15 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Should be fun!// [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Jul 20, 8:23pm

Post #13 of 15 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Could I do not at home, please? [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Valinor

Jul 21, 8:45am

Post #14 of 15 (1450 views)
Shortcut
Certainly - Not at Home (12 August) is yours! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 29, 11:26pm

Post #15 of 15 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Chapter 18 ready (in theory) [In reply to] Can't Post

noWiz: I've finished a first draft of my read-through for Chapter 18 ("The Return Journey"). It is indeed a bit long (coming out at 1869 words) so I am planning on breaking it up into segments. It's on Google Docs. If you want to preview it, PM me and I'll email it to you as an attachment. Let me know if you have a preferred format.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 29, 11:33pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.