Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Watching Thread: "Good night, Sir John."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 13, 12:31am

Post #26 of 36 (325 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like something this new WP unit should be looking into, eh? Weird. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 13, 12:43am

Post #27 of 36 (319 views)
Shortcut
Yes. I reckon I'll phone the station at some stage. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 13, 3:14am

Post #28 of 36 (318 views)
Shortcut
just back from "Ant-Man and the Wasp" [In reply to] Can't Post

loved it. Paul Rudd is just so darn likeable! Michael Pena was hilarious and Michelle Pfeiffer remains inhumanly gorgeous. Best Stan Lee cameo to date. We laughed and enjoyed it all and then spent the entire drive home speculating about what will happen next.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 13, 4:49am

Post #29 of 36 (305 views)
Shortcut
"Apparently business at The Realm was up 15% [In reply to] Can't Post

on Thursday after the Unholy Realm reference the night before!", says my friend.

And I imagine there were quite a few pedestrians counting the number of buckets on the fountain in Cuba Mall from a safe distance. 12? 13? I've tried to count them from Google photos but it is inconclusive. Perhaps it keeps changing; weird stuff happens down there, as we now know, besides the usual number of startled tourists being drenched as they walk by. Beware!
Evil

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 14, 2:54am

Post #30 of 36 (277 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Stars and Stripes Forever (1952-US) Finally got a copy! Loved it as a kid! Based on John Philip Sousa's autobiography "Marching Along" it's actually one of the more faithful Holllywood bio-pics. (Fictional characters played by a very young Robert Wagner and the talented Debra Paget provide the studio required young love interests.) The Blu-ray is in 1.37:1 ratio and mono sound, but it still looks and sounds great. The always delightful Clifton Webb fits ex-Marine Sousa's role to a tee! The role of Sousa's wife Jennie was Ruth Hussey's penultimate film role and she does absolutely wonderful in it. Very stirring soundtrack!
-Highly Recommended.

The Death of Stalin (2017-UK, Fr, Bel.) Based on the French graphic novel "La mort de Staline" by Fabien Nury and Thierry Robin. Described as a political comedy satire, it's more absurdist horror IMHO. Covers the period from the night of Stalin's stroke to his funeral a week later. The main plot involves the power struggle among Stalin's despicable lackeys. The always wonderful Steve Buscemi gives coarse Moscow Party Head Khrushchev a surprising humanity. The brilliant Simon Russell Beale, often described as the greatest stage actor of his generation, gives a chilling portrayal as the thoroughly loathsome NKVD chief Beria. Jeffrey Tambor is marvelous as Stalin's initial successor, the tentative and indecisive Deputy General Secretary Malenkov. And I absolutely loved Jason Isaacs' portrayal as straightforward yet devious Field Marshal Zhukov. Director Armando Iannucci told all the actors to play it straight, so it's no so much laugh inducing but rather more "What the frell?????" inducing.
-Recommended, with caveats for language, violence, and sexual abuse of minors. (Yes, Lavrentiy Beria was an *absolute* monster!)

Guardians (2017-Russian) Evil mad scientist creates supers back during the Cold War, he dies, they disappear, he returns, and the missing supers have to be tracked down and recruited to stop his nefarious plan to take over the world. Some great CGI and some bad CGI, some great scenes and some bad scenes, and lots and lots of plot holes. (*Real* Grand Canyon sized plot-holes, not "Why don't the Eagles take the Ring to Mount Doom" BS.) Some compared the team to The Avengers but they're more family close, like Fantastic Four (2015) should have been. Despite initial excitement (The trailers looked awesome!) it bombed really really bad in Russia and elsewhere. Though IMHO, if it had been part of the DCEU universe audiences would have been far more forgiving and it's box office would probably have been second only to Wonder Woman (2017). I mean, it has a grizzly bear blowing bad guys away with a frickin' gatling gun attached to its back for cripe's sake!
-Not recommended unless you can find it for less than five bucks in the discount bin in which case buy it and a couple of bottles of good sangria and have a great time!

Kamikaze Girls (2004-Japan) Based (but not faithfully thank goodness) on the novel "Shimotsuma Monogatari" by Novala Takemoto. Two outsiders who are themselves outsiders within their respective outsider groups find true friendship with each other in spite of themselves. Perhaps my favorite movie. Great story, great soundtrack, great acting, great film, great fourth wall breaking absurdity and it aces the Bechdel test.
-Extremely highly recommended. (Just ignore the American release name. "Kamikaze" just refers to the type of coat Ichigo's gang wears.)

BTW, I'm waiting with bated breath for the arrival of "Imitation General" (1958) and "Is Paris Burning (1966) on my doorstep. No matter what they do to Middle-earth, I love Amazon!

"The Crack of Doom is a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy Barad-dr."
-The Briefing of Elrond

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 14, 6:37am

Post #31 of 36 (272 views)
Shortcut
"Love, Actually". [In reply to] Can't Post

Just the prime minister's (Hugh Grant's) speech at the joint press conference.

For some reason today that's the first thing that pops up when you search for that film on Youtube.

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

squire
Half-elven

Jul 14, 12:50pm

Post #32 of 36 (254 views)
Shortcut
And the touch of irony in said situation [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the two politicians portrayed are supposed to be upstanding Labour PM Tony Blair and degenerate Democratic president Bill Clinton.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 14, 5:46pm

Post #33 of 36 (223 views)
Shortcut
I'm seeing The Death of Stalin in a couple weeks [In reply to] Can't Post

at a film festival. Thanks for the summary - sounds like we're going to enjoy it.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 16, 5:45am

Post #34 of 36 (116 views)
Shortcut
Funny that Thornton played both B.C. and B.C.'s aide Carville. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or analogs of both, although the latter, in Primary Colors, was more explicit. Another good film, that one.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 16, 5:48am

Post #35 of 36 (114 views)
Shortcut
"The Death of Stalin" is great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it wins some awards next year.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 16, 10:06pm

Post #36 of 36 (88 views)
Shortcut
It takes a fair number of liberties with history. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly by condensing the timeline. Entirely justifiable, in my opinion.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.