Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the solstice reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 27, 6:27pm

Post #26 of 38 (453 views)
Shortcut
I love that idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to pretend she did. Like a book about four sisters who give up their Christmas to help a poor family and a book about the young man who becomes the foster son of one of the sisters...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Attalus
Lorien

Jun 27, 8:26pm

Post #27 of 38 (436 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've kinda lost the thread of this discussion, but I got a copy of Little Men when I was a young teen and thoroughly enjoyed it. I even borrowed a copy of Jo's Boys from the school library. Strange that I didn't read Little Women till I was out of college, and now consider it far superior to its predecessors on my reading list.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mmak. But we got him!

(This post was edited by Attalus on Jun 27, 8:27pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 27, 11:30pm

Post #28 of 38 (424 views)
Shortcut
I just bought "The Saga of Ragnar Lothbrok" for my kindle [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's the book Froda was reading :-)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DY8K49/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Here's a description of Froda's book from "Aslauga's Knight":

"... on his knees there lay an ancient book with skilfully and richly painted characters, which a learned Icelander had just sent to him across the sea: it was the history of Aslauga, the fair daughter of Sigurd, who at first, concealing her high birth, kept goats among the simple peasants of the land, clothed in mean attire; then, in the golden veil of her flowing hair, won the love of King Ragnar Lodbrog; and at last shone brightly on the Danish throne as his glorious queen, till the day of her death."

GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 28, 12:25pm

Post #29 of 38 (408 views)
Shortcut
That's where the audioboook came in handy. [In reply to] Can't Post

The voices were different so the characters were easy to distinguish. But I fear that I will be disappointed in the movie since the characters won't "sound" right. I truly did feel like I was there with their voices and their story.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 28, 12:31pm

Post #30 of 38 (411 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the trailer. [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of me can't wait to see it. Part of me wonders why they changed the story so much. I'm of two minds whether I really want to see it. I felt like Juliette could have been a best friend and I think I could have fallen for Dawsey too. And Elizabeth was my hero. I don't want them to mess with that... But what am I saying... books and stories and characters are like a hopelessly addictive drug. Of course I'll watch it! Smile

Yup, half-way! I'm starting to look around for positions where I can use my new-found knowledge. Interestingly enough, pharmacists aren't on the official palliative care team. I find that strange but it all comes down to whether you can bill for services, which we can't. Yet.

Off to do homework!

_

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 28, 12:32pm

Post #31 of 38 (411 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Lilly! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always seem to wander back here.... Smile . Like coming home.

_

cats16
Valinor

Jun 30, 5:25pm

Post #32 of 38 (332 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

So great to see you around these parts. Smile

And woo, halfway done! Congrats on the milestone! Seeing the word Blackboard just gave me an eerie flashback, but I'm all good, I swear. Tongue

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Attalus
Lorien

Jul 3, 1:03am

Post #33 of 38 (308 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I got Gibraltar: The Story of a Fortress in the mail today. Looks like a fun read.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mmak. But we got him!

(This post was edited by Attalus on Jul 3, 1:04am)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 3, 2:41pm

Post #34 of 38 (270 views)
Shortcut
It's the holiday reading thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

A happy Canada Day to our northern neighbors, and a happy Independence Day to my fellow inmates of the USA. Smile

Between catching up on the magazines that accumulated while I was out of town, I read another of my collection of 1960s-70s British mysteries. This was Death of a Dutch Uncle by Patricia Moyes, another in her series starting Inspector Henry Tibbett and his wife, Emmy.

In this installment, Tibbett is investigating a gangland killing when an acquaintance in diplomatic circles turns up with a puzzling story.... And of course the two threads come together in a nicely constructed knot. The latter part of the story plays out in Holland, which I found interesting.

I'm now listening to The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane by Kelly Harms. Two women from the same town in Iowa, each named Janine Brown, enter a contest with the "Home Sweet Home Network" to win a new house. When one of them wins, the other thinks she won---and we're off.

The story is both comedy and characterization, with romance looming on the horizon. The very different voices of the two women are written very skillfully. So far I'm entertained---although there's one aspect of the confusion over the contest that the author introduces and then, so far, completely ignores... Ah well. Deep thought isn't a requirement for this particular novel.

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 3, 3:15pm

Post #35 of 38 (266 views)
Shortcut
been struggling to find a book that grabs my interest [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried reading "House of Shattered Wings" by Aliette de Bodard. Her premise is that fallen angels have taken over Europe and basically destroyed it in an ongoing war between each other; survivors either live in gangs that forage the ruins, or in "houses" that are areas magically protected by a powerful Fallen. I guess the major theme is that once you lose God's favor, you're in Hell - and this applies even if you follow a religion that doesn't believe in heaven or hell. Not being a Christian nor a fan of post-apocalyptic literature, I couldn't stick with it.

Then there was another book I picked up at the library that I don't even remember, I got so quickly bored with it.

Finally grabbed a book off the staff picks rack at the library and this I'm enjoying: "Next Year in Havana" by Chanel Cleeton, a dual-timeline story about a family of sisters who are booted out of Cuba when Castro takes over and the grand-daughter of one of them who returns 60 years later to spread her grandmother's ashes in her beloved homeland - and to understand her own heritage. I know very little about Cuba or Cubano culture, so I'm learning a lot, and basically the plot's a bunch of intertwined love stories, including love of one's own place.

I'm particularly enjoying the arguments the women have with their revolutionary lovers over what patriotism really means, which remind me of what Ursula LeGuin wrote in "The Left Hand of Darkness" when a political exile asks the envoy from another world:

"Do you know, by your own experience, what patriotism is?"
"No," I replied . . . "I don't think I do. If by patriotism you don't mean the love of one's homeland, for that I do know."
"No, I don't mean love, when I say patriotism. I mean fear. Fear of the other. And its expressions are political, not poetical: hate, rivalry, aggression. It grows in us year by year."

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jul 3, 3:23pm)

Attalus
Lorien

Jul 4, 1:00am

Post #36 of 38 (227 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished Spider Woman's Daughter. Hillerman fille does writea lot like her Daddy. I enjoyed it.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 4, 2:47pm

Post #37 of 38 (209 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...she gets even more comfortable with the voice in the next book, Rock With Wings.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Attalus
Lorien

Jul 4, 3:42pm

Post #38 of 38 (205 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have put it on order. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.