Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come on in and join us for some Friday Fiesta Fun!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2018, 8:43pm

Post #26 of 45 (775 views)
Shortcut
Brunch was fun [In reply to] Can't Post

We had amazing weather after all the rain, and the stifling hot before the rain. We were able to sit outside and catch up. Two people from the group weren't able to volunteer with us last winter, and they came, so it was really good to see them.
We had tons of food - as usual, I made enough for everyone, and others brought goodies. I made an overnight egg casserole - sausage, apples and cheddar cheese, and an overnight french toast casserole, and bacon. Others brought banana chocolate chip bread, fruit salad, oatmeal fudge cookies and brownies.
This morning, I realized I didn't have enough milk for coffee, so I ran to the store on the corner. I stood at the milk display, absolutely paralyzed by indecision. What kind of milk - half and half, whole milk or fat-free? What about the people who are lactose-intolerant? There's only about 14 choices of lactose-free milk! In the end I chose one whole milk and one lactose-free milk, and was reassured by a neighbor I had made a good choice with the lactose-free. Wouldn't you know that only one person had coffee, and he takes it black! Serves me right for over-thinking the milk. Wink

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2018, 8:45pm

Post #27 of 45 (776 views)
Shortcut
What a beauty! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't go to the ASPCA because I will take ALL the animals home. I used to have to walk by them on my way to work, and I would avert my eyes. Looks like you got a good one!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2018, 9:01pm

Post #28 of 45 (772 views)
Shortcut
What a sweetie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations on the new member of your family :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2018, 10:05pm

Post #29 of 45 (768 views)
Shortcut
All's Well as Ends Better! [In reply to] Can't Post

The eight weeks have just zoomed by, haven't they - but what an ending to your grandson's visit!

Or, as Sam might say, you're certainly "in a pickle", with a Pickle! You're never going to have a free lap again, you know! Heart What a sweet, intelligent face he has! *gives virtual ear scritchies*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 24 2018, 10:12pm

Post #30 of 45 (766 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't you know that only one person had coffee, and he takes it black!

A case of 'it's the thought that counts' if ever I saw one. LaughLaughLaugh Glad it was such a success!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2018, 10:25pm

Post #31 of 45 (775 views)
Shortcut
I'll just get some iced tea out of the 'fridge. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings from Martha's Vineyard - where there's no actual vineyard, but lots of wild grape vines, and apparently the grapes taste terrible! Laugh

We've travelled from one end of the island to the other, from the multicolored cliffs of Gay Heat and the Aquinnah lighthouse, to today's trip out to the Cape Poge lighthouse on (notorious) Chappaquiddick Island (we did have to cross "that" bridge, which was replaced with a sturdy one with rails several years ago). The roads out there are either dirt or sand, our guide had 10 of us in the back of an open pickup truck bouncing along, and on the return trip we all "rescued" a couple of women who'd gotten their 4-wheel-drive BMW stuck in soft sand - our guide dug out the wheels, and we managed to push them out.

We've had lots of seafood (even for breakfast), but tonight we'll be going to the Back Door Donuts, which only opens from 7pm to 1am, and has the most awesome bakery items. Hmm...one of their apple fritters might be nice...

So how was your star-gazing, Altaira? Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 25 2018, 12:20am

Post #32 of 45 (760 views)
Shortcut
What a cutie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you two will be thick as thieves by the Fourth of July. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Attalus
Lorien

Jun 25 2018, 9:34pm

Post #33 of 45 (674 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cute doggie, and those look like Lab markings sure enough. My Golden died three years ago and I don't think I am ready for another dog, yet. Frown

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Annael
Immortal

Jun 26 2018, 1:11am

Post #34 of 45 (643 views)
Shortcut
many happy years for you two! [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks like a great little dog. Enjoy!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2018, 1:58am

Post #35 of 45 (527 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on your new companion! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Even if I am a cat person) he's a cutie! How old?

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 28 2018, 2:42am

Post #36 of 45 (529 views)
Shortcut
Oh, wonderful! Welcome, Pickles! [In reply to] Can't Post

We need to have a Dog-moot sometime, says Reggie (he's a smooth-coat Border Collie, but looks to me like they could be cousins!). We could get all the pooches together, and go drop in on Midgey. I'm sure his Mom wouldn't mind . . .

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2018, 12:03pm

Post #37 of 45 (487 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't a pooch moot be great!?! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2018, 12:06pm

Post #38 of 45 (491 views)
Shortcut
He's about 1 1/2 yo [In reply to] Can't Post

The pound thought under 2yo, but vet Dr Pol says closer to 1 1/2. He's such a sweet soul...

One of my 2 cats in the house (Monkey) is bigger than Pickle is... and he tries SO HARD to get her to engage in playing, but she's having none of it ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2018, 12:15pm

Post #39 of 45 (493 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* nasty grapes [In reply to] Can't Post

One for you and one for Mr dernwyn

I wonder if something happened to the soil to make the grapes not-so-tasty or if they always tasted bad and Martha just didn't care ;)

What a wonderful adventure for the Mr and you on a wonder summer day. Have you ever watched the movie "Sabrina" with Harrison Ford? They did some filming there for the film, and the scenery is beautiful.

How fortunate for those ladies that your guide and all of you were so great to help them dig out. I'm sure they thought a truck full of angels had come along!

I love the idea of a late-night bakery! Especially if they make great pasteries :D I LOVE apple-fritters! *slaver, slurp*

HOW FUN!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2018, 4:54pm

Post #40 of 45 (485 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, "sour grapes"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bartholomew Gosnold, the English explorer who "discovered" the island (the local Wampanoag had of course already been living there a long time) named it after his daughter or his mother-in-law, neither of whom ever saw it! And they say that the grapes have never tasted good, so it must be the soil.

I've never seen Sabrina, will have to put that on my Netflix list! Along with Jaws, which I've also never seen, but the islanders are rather proud that it was all filmed there.

Everyone in that tour group agreed it had been the best tour ever!

Hubby got an apple fritter, and I got a big cinnamon spiral covered with chocolate frosting, nice things to share. Smile

Thanks for the tea! Wish I had another of those fritters to snack on, with it...

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 9 2018, 10:31pm

Post #41 of 45 (473 views)
Shortcut
You're shunning the grapes? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear that shunning is the thing to do on Martha's Vineyard.

After you watch the remake of Sabrina with Harrison Ford, Julia Ormond, and Greg Kinnear, be sure to watch the superior original with Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, and William Holden!

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2018, 11:33pm

Post #42 of 45 (461 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on the original [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ford version is one of those times when I think the remake is as good as the original. It's a nice piece of work by Bogart, Hepburn and Holden... a role you don't often get to see Bogart in.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10 2018, 1:28am

Post #43 of 45 (450 views)
Shortcut
There's two of them? [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, then, both go on the list! I've been catching up on old Errol Flynn and other classic movies, as well as anime and early James Bond (the older ones seem so silly now).

The Vineyard is an amazing place. Wink

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10 2018, 6:10am

Post #44 of 45 (434 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I like them both too. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I am not a fan of remakes very often. Neither replaces the other, they each have their own charm.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 10 2018, 7:02am

Post #45 of 45 (430 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, fab idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Piratey adventures at the bottom of the world await!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.