Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come on in and join us for some Friday Fiesta Fun!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 22 2018, 4:06pm

Post #1 of 45 (1461 views)
Shortcut
Come on in and join us for some Friday Fiesta Fun! Can't Post

Greetings, and welcome to Fiesta everyone!

Have a seat at the bar, in one of the comfy chairs, or out by the pool, and let us know how live has been treating you and/or what fun, interesting, or downright boring and relaxing plans you have for the weekend!

If the weather cooperates, we plan to dust off the sky-watching books and the telescope this weekend and gaze at some heavenly bodies. A friend tell us Mars has been at it's brightest lately. Otherwise, it's just fun to see what we can see. If all else fails, the moon never disappoints. Other than that, we'll be working in the yard, and working on keeping our DVR from filling up (which can also involve gazing at some heavenly bodies *cough* Idris Elba in The Wire, *cough*. Wink

How about you? Let us know!
*puts quarters on the juke box* play us what strikes your fancy and have a wonderful weekend!
LaughHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Attalus
Lorien

Jun 22 2018, 5:42pm

Post #2 of 45 (1398 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Friday, everybody. I'll have a Margarita and sit in the shade, admiring more strenuous folk.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 22 2018, 5:51pm

Post #3 of 45 (1394 views)
Shortcut
*plops down in comfy chair* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya, Altaira! It's extra gloomy here today, which makes being at work even tougher.

The job hunt has begun! Had a chat with my boss this week, which went well despite my general nerves. Now the real stress begins...in the meantime I'm *trying* to find somewhere to go on vacation for a couple of days next month. I haven't taken a day off in 2 years here, so it feels pretty pathetic that I can't find a good combo of flights/airbnbs to escape for a bit.

A friend is moving to NYC, so she's hosting a gathering at a brewery tonight in celebration. My girlfriend's in a stage musical across town, so I get to see that tomorrow. And hopefully I can sneak in a good nap at some point.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 22 2018, 5:52pm

Post #4 of 45 (1393 views)
Shortcut
Frozen, or on the rocks? [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Friday to you too, Attalus. I hope you enjoy whatever plans you (or your girlfriend Wink) are planning for the weekend!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 22 2018, 5:59pm

Post #5 of 45 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a great weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

Best of luck with the job hunt now that it's started for real.

It sounds like you can't find a good combo of flights/accommodations because you're out of practice, lol. Hopefully, everything will fall into place, after which you can take that well-deserved nap!

Enjoy the weekend activities! Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 22 2018, 8:19pm

Post #6 of 45 (1381 views)
Shortcut
I can help out with that [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jun 22 2018, 8:20pm

Post #7 of 45 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Just tea, thank you - and water for the garden! [In reply to] Can't Post

In our normally soggy western fringe of this corner of Middle Earth, we are having a hot dry spell; just when the roses are blooming, raspberries are trying hard to plump up and failing etc. I am on a water meter, so I choose the favoured few to water, and the rest just have to take their chances. Good luck with whatever you are all doing over the weekend and beyond - star-gazing, job-hunting etc.On the juke box I will put, with my tongue firmly in my cheek, Mungo Jerry's 'In the Summertime'- just to remind us all of the howling political incorrectness of those days! Quite catchy as long as you don't listen to the words. Did we really take all that stuff for granted? Wow.
Listen and cringe...Crazy

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22 2018, 10:41pm

Post #8 of 45 (1370 views)
Shortcut
Well, you will live down south. :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Midgey ask for extra cuddles when it's that cold?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22 2018, 10:46pm

Post #9 of 45 (1372 views)
Shortcut
Hot chocolate, please - with extra chocolate. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm at the end of my two-week leave from work. *sigh* I don't want to go back.

On the plus side, I've been writing most mornings this past fortnight and I've loved it. Smile We're also past the winter solstice so we're on the long march back to summer!

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 22 2018, 11:07pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 22 2018, 11:24pm

Post #10 of 45 (1365 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

And extra blankies. And extra food. And extra attention. Just the usual. Laugh

Attalus
Lorien

Jun 22 2018, 11:36pm

Post #11 of 45 (1365 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on the rocks, no salt, por favor.

Thanks, I am informed that we are going out to dinner and a movie tomorrow night. Just what movie is still under negotiation. Tonight we will just watch Buffy rererere-runs. I've got a pork roast almost done, with apples and potatoes on the side..

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2018, 12:41am

Post #12 of 45 (1360 views)
Shortcut
*Emerges from piles of paper* [In reply to] Can't Post

Today's devoted to doing our tax returns. So far so good (i.e. everything balances), and I should finish today as planned. I'm glad this only needs doing once a year, though :).

Still smiling over the Prime Ministerial baby - a little girl who was thoughtful enough to arrive on my birthday. When I've finished working on these returns I plan to raise a glass of fizz.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2018, 12:53am

Post #13 of 45 (1352 views)
Shortcut
*Sympathies* [In reply to] Can't Post

and congratulations!

That post-hol downer is a real... well, downer. But well done, writing every day!

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2018, 12:57am

Post #14 of 45 (1355 views)
Shortcut
A description I loved about the baby: 'the Prime Miniature'. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 23 2018, 1:10am

Post #15 of 45 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Extra hot chocolate, you say? [In reply to] Can't Post

That calls for the big guns:

I haven't ordered from them in a while, but a company I used to buy from used to send packets of Godiva hot chocolate as a customer gift. B.G. and I would save them for special celebrations, or especially cold winter nights. Delish!

By the way, thanks for the alert a few weeks ago that the All Blacks were playing France. We subscribe to an ESPN channel that carries the games, and we can watch the recorded games at our leisure, usually with a cup of coffee on our Saturday mornings. The ESPN channel went from free last year to a whole $4.99 a month this year, but we figure the All Blacks are worth it. Wink This next game should be interesting - we hear there have been a lot of changes on both teams.

Enjoy your last few days of freedom, and Cheers!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 23 2018, 1:11am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2018, 1:16am

Post #16 of 45 (1339 views)
Shortcut
:) :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 23 2018, 1:28am

Post #17 of 45 (1348 views)
Shortcut
I feel your pain [In reply to] Can't Post

From what B.G. has told me about NZ taxes, I'm assuming you're doing them because you're not in a 'traditional' employee/employer situation. B.G. always was, so he never filled out a tax return. He was horrified the first year he lived here and watched me do it, in particular watching me figuring out how to handle a non-US citizen spouse who only lived and worked in the US a partial year. To do it right,I had to do complete tax returns under multiple scenarios. Many of my current grey hairs were acquired that year! Laugh

You're' going to need another vacation!

Just for you, as of now 'fizz' is on the house! Heart

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 23 2018, 1:30am)

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 23 2018, 1:28am

Post #18 of 45 (1339 views)
Shortcut
Too perfect! // [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartLaughLaughLaugh

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 23 2018, 1:31am

Post #19 of 45 (1347 views)
Shortcut
I asked the kids in my class for name suggestions [In reply to] Can't Post

'Strawberry' and 'Mushroom' were the top picks.Strawberry Mushroom Gayford-Ardern has such a lovely ring to it. Laugh

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2018, 1:35am

Post #20 of 45 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the virtual fizz [In reply to] Can't Post

and sympathy :)

Yes, it's self-employed income, and a mix of overseas and NZ, which makes it nice and complicated. I'm sure yours was far more so, though!

I'm on the home straight now. Just carefully checking all the figures.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2018, 3:53am

Post #21 of 45 (1332 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm heading out to a pub tonight to watch the third test with my brother, his wife and a friend. Hopefully this game has an ABs team that's on-formand no red cards!

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2018, 3:25pm

Post #22 of 45 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Rain, rain went away [In reply to] Can't Post

We had the rainiest May on record, and so far we're on pace to have the rainiest June since 1892.Tongue. It's finally stopped for now, and just in time. I'm hosting the group that I volunteer with for brunch on Sunday and we might even get sun!
I'm wrapping up an intense three week on the road - traveling every week, all week for the last three weeks. I used to do that all the time, but with technology, I can help my clients remotely, saving them the travel costs. But three different clients needed me on-site, and it happened all in a row. So glad to be home!
It's Saturday morning here, and today I need to clean the house and finish preparations for brunch tomorrow. I hope to go to our Food Truck Festival, but need to get my chores done.
No drinks for me today - Bloody Marys and Mimosas tomorrow.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 24 2018, 7:17pm

Post #23 of 45 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Just a zoom in and out! [In reply to] Can't Post

G'son and I have been really busy on our Quest to go on as many adventures as we can. This is his last week here of an 8-week visit when Mom shows up this coming Friday. *sigh* We've had so much fun and so much relaxing times. BUT that kind of came to an end when I found my new canine friend!! He's SO not what I was looking for or expected, but he snagged my heart as soon as I walked by his kennel at the dog pound. BIG dogs barking like crazy and lots of madness, but he just laid there with perked up ears and lots of mellow when g'son and I walked by. I stopped short, and that was it.

(can't see his tail is long and curls up over his back)
Surprised me when they said he was a Chihuahua mix because he's a bit bigger than the typical type... more like lab markings, imho. But he's very VERY sweet, eager to please, likes cats (though it's not reciprocated), and lots smaller then my border collie mixes I've been used to. His name is Pickle, and he knew his name after the first day (Thursday)!
So we're busy getting to know each other and learning boundaries; but he's a big lover and just wants to get in my lap and cuddle/sleep.
I hope everyone has a wonderful week/weekend! My internet is still VERY bad at home, so I'm back at the library to do any timely things.
CHEERS! And thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 24 2018, 7:51pm

Post #24 of 45 (1116 views)
Shortcut
How sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad you found a perfect companion. He's a VERY lucky doggie. Smile
Have a wonderful time during your last week of adventures!
*hugs*

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 24 2018, 8:00pm

Post #25 of 45 (1112 views)
Shortcut
I hope the brunch went well [In reply to] Can't Post

...and the rain stayed away for the event. What was on the menu?
Traveling can be fun, it's the being away from home for that long of a period that can get tiresome. As a fellow past 'road warrior' I know you know exactly what I mean. Visiting different places and seeing people you enjoy being with is great, but all the household chores continue to pile up at home. It was ambitious of you to host a gathering coming off three weeks of travel! Glad your home for what sounds like a while now. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.