Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Q&A w/ Jennifer Salke, Head of Amazon Studios
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Jun 11, 4:23pm

Post #1 of 32 (3888 views)
Shortcut
Q&A w/ Jennifer Salke, Head of Amazon Studios Can't Post

Via Deadline:

https://deadline.com/...uture-qa-1202407283/

Highlights:

- They just closed the rights deal a month ago. She met with Simon Tolkien recently. Moving on, "I think you’ll see us honing in on a strategy in the next month, which might involve a group of writers. Clearly, there’ll be someone in charge, but it involves the estate and Peter Jackson, and there’s a lot of conversations."

- They're still working out PJ's involvement, which, I wonder, may explain some of the differing reports on his involvement (i.e., they're actively talking it over, so he may not officially be involved and it's a matter he and Amazon are discussing).

- She thinks they might film in NZ but is open to going wherever they need to do it.

- It'll feature characters we love, i.e. they're not starting from scratch.

- Only working on one big series at the moment.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jun 11, 4:24pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Jun 11, 4:34pm

Post #2 of 32 (3788 views)
Shortcut
This may be [In reply to] Can't Post

the first actual news to come out about this since the original announcement.

Thank you!

cats16
Valinor

Jun 11, 4:40pm

Post #3 of 32 (3791 views)
Shortcut
Additional info via Variety re: the Estate's involvement [In reply to] Can't Post

https://variety.com/...s-amazon-1202840237/

Highlights:

- Salke says she met with Simon Tolkien for three hours, and "the next step is for representatives of the Tolkien estate to meet with writers. It’s a partnership,” she said of Amazon’s deal with the estate. “They have some lines in the play on this on strategy and on vision. The great news about that is that they’re actually really thoughtful and smart, as you would expect.”

BINGO. So the Estate is in no way being passive and even retained some creative approvals.

- Finally, "'The Tolkien deal covers most, but not all of the material connected to the author’s Middle Earth saga.' Salke said that it is still too early to say what shape, exactly, the series will take. But, she added, 'It’s not a remaking of the movies, and it’s not a whole new thing. It’s something in between. It’s not, ‘Oh, it’s “Lord of the Rings” but you don’t recognize anything in it,’ but it’s not totally familiar to you either. So it’s original.”

The first sentence about what the deal covers is not Salke speaking, if it's unclear. It's the reporter's (quite vague) words. And the rest sounds understandably development-y, as I'd expect for a show that doesn't have a showrunner and clear arc.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Jun 11, 4:58pm

Post #4 of 32 (3783 views)
Shortcut
And a little more via The Hollywood Reporter [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...s-lord-rings-1118921

Highlights:

- Salke says the show will be in production in two years, and hopes to air it in 2021 (and says others wish for 2020).

- Q: If and when PJ signs on, does the search for a showrunner then begin?

A: "No. We are currently talking to writers. I have sat with three or four different groups of writers. Sharon Tal Yguado [Head of Genre at Amazon] has met with many more than that. When we announced it, many agents called and with clients and British writers have come calling. There have been a lot of informational meetings about the material and about the scope of what we can do. My hope would be to put together a group of talented people, which will obviously have a leader who can embark on this big ambitious endeavor."

InTheChair
Lorien

Jun 11, 5:13pm

Post #5 of 32 (3773 views)
Shortcut
Probably it's all the stuff that has CT as editor that they don't have access too. Wonder if parts of UT is an exception? [In reply to] Can't Post

The first sentence about what the deal covers is not Salke speaking, if it's unclear. It's the reporter's (quite vague) words.

You can see it by it not being in quotations.

By Middle-Earth saga one assumes the writer means The Lord of the Rings.

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Jun 11, 5:16pm)

uncle Iorlas
Rivendell

Jun 11, 5:30pm

Post #6 of 32 (3761 views)
Shortcut
Well now that's authoritative. [In reply to] Can't Post

And grim. Adam West it shall be, forever and ever, amen.

cats16
Valinor

Jun 11, 5:39pm

Post #7 of 32 (3760 views)
Shortcut
One last quote via NYT re: the Estate [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.nytimes.com/...-jennifer-salke.html

- "We’re honing in on a strategy,” she said of the “Lord of the Rings” adaptation. “The estate has actually been super helpful. Offering insight. Giving permission to make some big moves. They’re not being precious.”

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jun 11, 7:50pm

Post #8 of 32 (3696 views)
Shortcut
Cats16 - our man on the beat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! Definitely news straight from the horse's mouth. Next time you're at Tara, mention to Ms Salke that you have experience in NZ and would be happy to help her out down here, eh? WinkCool Aren't you just about due for some R&R from that mad rat race up north? Come back to NZ and chill with us for, oh say, about five, seven years. Laugh
Cheers,
Liss

Althoun
The Shire

Jun 11, 10:03pm

Post #9 of 32 (3651 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by Althoun [In reply to]

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 11, 10:06pm

Post #10 of 32 (3646 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

Best guess, either: 1) The Lord of the Rings but not The Hobbit; or 2) LotR and TH but not The Silmarillion.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Helcaraxe
The Shire

Jun 12, 12:01pm

Post #11 of 32 (3526 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like the Silmarillion is an absolute no, no! Maybe Christopher made this his parting demand that under no circumstances was it to be up for grabs. This leaves LOTR and the appendices (hopefully!) which have a rich vein of history and stories in them so with any luck they may tap in there for some really good material. I for one would most like to see Numenor/Second Age/Last Alliance stuff. Could be huge!!!!

Chen G.
Rivendell

Jun 12, 12:27pm

Post #12 of 32 (3519 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I always saw the Silmarillion as material for cinema: you could squeeze the three great tales and a lot of intersitital material into about four movies.

TV is good for the second age and early third age stuff, which seems to be what they're going for.

Silmaril
Rohan

Jun 13, 7:01am

Post #13 of 32 (3323 views)
Shortcut
Simon Tolkien likes FOTR best... [In reply to] Can't Post

like me! that's good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCEqQV5eIjk

cats16
Valinor

Jun 14, 3:53pm

Post #14 of 32 (3056 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're right! Cool

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 15, 12:13am

Post #15 of 32 (2930 views)
Shortcut
So that nearly confirms it is set in PJs universe [In reply to] Can't Post

And hopefully most of it is shot in NZ.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 15, 1:38am

Post #16 of 32 (2917 views)
Shortcut
Maybe. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So that nearly confirms it is set in PJs universe

That is far from certain yet, though that might turn out to be the case. I hope not, though your mileage may vary.

In Reply To
And hopefully most of it is shot in NZ.

Could be, though I wouldn't be surprised if the show shoots in more than one country.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 15, 2:59am

Post #17 of 32 (2897 views)
Shortcut
Why wouldn’t you prefer that? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because the timeline’s not 100% accurate to how Tolkien wrote it?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 15, 12:15pm

Post #18 of 32 (2832 views)
Shortcut
Ch-ch-ch-changes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Because the timeline’s not 100% accurate to how Tolkien wrote it?

Because some of Peter Jackson's alterations and additions make radical changes in the history of the Third Age of Middle-earth and are not needed in a television series approach. If the showrunner(s) decide to go back and tell the story of the fall of Arthedain and Angmar, I don't want them having to incorporate Jackson't High Fells and his Nazgûl tombs. Nor do I want them having to figure out how all that affects the history of Gondor and the end of the line of the kings of Gondor.

Yes, a while back I did work out a possible timeline of the Third Age for Jackson's movies, but I did that for gaming purposes in the case that any The One Ring or Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster wanted to run a campaign in that setting. Granted, it was kind of fun to work out how Aragorn's journeys might be affected by an earlier birth-year (est. T.A. 2915).

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 15, 12:22pm)

uncle Iorlas
Rivendell

Jun 22, 3:00am

Post #19 of 32 (2415 views)
Shortcut
anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

For Amazon to make his already aging movies canon is essentially to say that his is the authoritative screen treatment of the book. Which is nuts. It lessens their own creative powers by orders of magnitude, for one thing. It likewise reduces the treatments available for anybody else to enjoy--reduces them to one. And for those keeping track at home, that one treatment has been a nonstop garbage festival since day one. But even if it had been good, a fresh start would be preferable now. Even if it had been perfect.

Consider: Batman has been restarted from the ground up twice on the big screen since Jackson made his movies. Different actors, sets, costumes, different backstories. Total fresh start. But we somehow can't handle a fresh take after fifteen years?

Tell you what, if Amazon dropped PJ and cut loose, soon we'd meet a generation for whom their show is the formative experience of LOTR, just as PJ's movies clearly were for many over the last years. And to those kids--and soon, many older people--the movies would look startlingly dated.

I believe it's not too late for Amazon to make that choice. I can't begin to understand why they seem not to be doing it. They've laid down so much money for these rights and now they're selling all their creative latitude down the river. Leaving themselves with virtually nothing. Just the privilege of making spinoffs to somebody else's played-out junk.

Lindele
Gondor

Jun 22, 1:14pm

Post #20 of 32 (2365 views)
Shortcut
If you're comparing [In reply to] Can't Post

the cinematic world of Batman with the one that PJ and co created for Middle-earth, then I'd say that it is safe to say that you don't relate with where people are coming from who are so passionate and in love with this cinematic world.
It's not that there can't be any fresh perspective, it's not that PJ has to be majorly involved, it's that to start the world building completely over would potentially be a huge mistake. This world can in no way be reasonably compared to the insanely simple world building of the Batman universe.
I'd strongly recommend taking a look at some of the LOTR/Hobbit behind the scenes documentaries to understand just how much went into the Middle-earth world building, or 'junk' as you call it.

Lol...batman...

uncle Iorlas
Rivendell

Jun 22, 2:17pm

Post #21 of 32 (2352 views)
Shortcut
sets and costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

are not "world building." They're very nice, yes, and filming in largely unknown New Zealand was a master stroke. Now mind you, the costumes still look like D&D, not Tolkien, but anyway they look good.

The problem is everything else. Everything anyone says or does.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Jun 22, 2:20pm

Post #22 of 32 (2354 views)
Shortcut
Costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you point to examples of costumes that ring true to Tolkien, I.e. paintings, renderings, costume designs, etc. ?

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 22, 10:19pm

Post #23 of 32 (2309 views)
Shortcut
New Zealand is 'largely unknown' [In reply to] Can't Post

because it actually doesn't exist.

StingingFly
Lorien

Jun 22, 11:20pm

Post #24 of 32 (2295 views)
Shortcut
I have been wondering the same thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I enjoyed PJ's LOTR trilogy, but for the life of me cannot figure out why they aren't doing a reboot.

Heroic tales have been crafted and retold for ages, yet with the greatest of tales...the LOTR trilogy, it's "been there, done that."

PJ's team picked out the aspects of the story that they wanted to convey, but there is so much more there. Characters and events whose inclusion will reshape Middle Earth.

I don't really care to watch a fanfic based on footnotes from the appendices.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 23, 12:22am

Post #25 of 32 (2287 views)
Shortcut
Um... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
PJ's team picked out the aspects of the story that they wanted to convey, but there is so much more there. Characters and events whose inclusion will reshape Middle Earth.

I don't really care to watch a fanfic based on footnotes from the appendices.

You realize that such characters also exist within the appendices, right? Aragorn, in his youth, is such a character. But so are Ar-Pharazôn; Gil-galad; Eärnur; and others.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.