Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Casting for Aragorn
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

skyofcoffeebeans
Bree

May 20, 11:10pm

Post #26 of 48 (2301 views)
Shortcut
No reason why they shouldn’t [In reply to] Can't Post

They’re characters with little to zero attributes in a fantasy world with 97% male representation and 3% female.

Fereth
Rivendell

May 21, 1:35am

Post #27 of 48 (2279 views)
Shortcut
I won't say no to more ladies, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we need a gender swap on the twins. Just give Arwen a bigger and more proactive role. And, if this is a continuation of the PJ films, give Tauriel a chance at a better arc.

No One in Particular
Rivendell

May 21, 2:11am

Post #28 of 48 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's just the sort of thing film makers do nowadays.

I understand the reasons for it, but I'd prefer new female characters rather than changing the established ones.

While you live, shine
Have no grief at all
Life exists only for a short while
And time demands an end.
Seikilos Epitaph

Ataahua
Superuser

May 21, 2:28am

Post #29 of 48 (2272 views)
Shortcut
Can you image a TV season on Morwen's story? [In reply to] Can't Post

(The Morwen from the books, not TTT film.)

A pretty grim tale, but a fascinating one about the strength of a woman during very hard times. And it would include the story of Neinor and Turin.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eledhwen
Forum Admin

May 21, 1:47pm

Post #30 of 48 (2206 views)
Shortcut
I'd quite like them to fill in the gaps [In reply to] Can't Post

After all in the appendices we find out the basics about his childhood, and then up pops a fully-fledged warrior who is able to go and serve Thengel and Ecthelion - I think it would be good to see something of what makes him that man, his toils against Sauron, his developing friendship with Gandalf, etc. It almost calls for a Crown-esque dual casting, of one actor to play Aragorn at the age he first meets Arwen, and then of the Aragorn who becomes Thorongil and ventures into Harad and Mordor and becomes somewhat "grim to look upon".

Storm clouds

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 21, 2:24pm

Post #31 of 48 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn in early and mid-20s [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not averse to following Aragorn as he takes leave of his mother and the folk of Rivendell, through those first few years as he befriends Gandalf and perhaps meets Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, and is maybe first seen in Bree and on the Barrow-downs. I just don't know what plans are in place with the producers at Amazon.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Plurmo
Rohan

May 21, 11:27pm

Post #32 of 48 (2131 views)
Shortcut
I see a pattern. [In reply to] Can't Post

When they change an existing character (which they certainly will, anyway,) they damage it, but they are constrained to certain limits.

But when they create a character they go to the full extent of whatever they think it should be, and they are always wrong.

I am sure they will disappoint. I would rather have a little less of it.

MoreMorgoth
The Shire

May 21, 11:39pm

Post #33 of 48 (2131 views)
Shortcut
use the OFF switch [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When they change an existing character (which they certainly will, anyway,) they damage it, but they are constrained to certain limits.

But when they create a character they go to the full extent of whatever they think it should be, and they are always wrong.

That is why they have an on/off switch on your TV. I would hope purists use the latter one and spare us what we went through with the first series of films.

Plurmo
Rohan

May 22, 3:20am

Post #34 of 48 (2105 views)
Shortcut
C'mon, rejoice! The agony of us purists shall be your delight! // [In reply to] Can't Post

No One in Particular
Rivendell

May 23, 1:22am

Post #35 of 48 (1967 views)
Shortcut
You make a fair arguement... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I agree, when they create whole cloth they give free reign to their creativity, and not always to the best effect. But I would still prefer new characters over gender swapping existing ones.

While you live, shine
Have no grief at all
Life exists only for a short while
And time demands an end.
Seikilos Epitaph

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 26, 10:31pm

Post #36 of 48 (1833 views)
Shortcut
Other Casing [In reply to] Can't Post

How about Astrid Bergès-Frisbey (age 32; The Sea Wall; Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides) for Arwen--assuming she can manage Standard Received Pronunciation? She has an elven look about her.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Maciliel
Valinor

May 28, 10:29pm

Post #37 of 48 (1589 views)
Shortcut
how about saoirse ronan finally getting to be an elf? [In reply to] Can't Post

how about casting saoirse ronan so she finally gets her shot at being an elf (and we are blessed with seeing her wonderful acting skill in middle earth)?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 29, 2:18am

Post #38 of 48 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

If she's available, I'd be all for Saoirse Ronan getting such a role.

Maciliel
Valinor

May 30, 4:44am

Post #39 of 48 (1493 views)
Shortcut
another one -- jeffrey combs [In reply to] Can't Post

brad dourif is certainly talented, but i am such a fan of the diverse and highly nuanced work of jeffrey combs. we missed out on his interpretation of wormtongue, but we still have a chance to have him breathe magnificent life into a middle earth character.

would +love+ to have him aboard in +any+ capacity.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30, 2:02pm

Post #40 of 48 (1473 views)
Shortcut
Jeffrey Combs [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm often a little nervous about American actors in such roles, but I have to admit that Brad Dourif performed magnificently as Wormtongue. I wonder if you have a specific part in mind?

Tseon

Jun 7, 7:10pm

Post #41 of 48 (1349 views)
Shortcut
I always thought [In reply to] Can't Post

That Alexander Skarsgård could be a younger Aragorn, and I think he resembles Viggo a little bit, maybe the resemblance was the reason why I thought that all along?

Ataahua
Superuser

Jun 7, 10:11pm

Post #42 of 48 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Well he's certainly got the chin and cheekbones for it. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

But yeah, nice call. And welcome to the discussion boards! :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 7, 11:55pm

Post #43 of 48 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Alexander Skarsgård? [In reply to] Can't Post

My issue with Skarsgård is that he's arguably old enough at this point (age 41) to actually play Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings. Great dream casting, but maybe not for the actual show.

Fichtenbrenner
The Shire

Jun 9, 11:33pm

Post #44 of 48 (1255 views)
Shortcut
If Alexander is rather too old [In reply to] Can't Post

Then what about his younger brother Bill?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 10, 12:09am

Post #45 of 48 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Bill Skarsgård [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Bill seems to be in the right age range. He looks less like my personal vision of Aragorn, but if he's got the acting chops, let him at it!

Tseon

Jun 15, 5:04pm

Post #46 of 48 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the welcome! Usually I'm more like a lurker an just keep reading :D

Tseon

Jun 15, 5:14pm

Post #47 of 48 (1180 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, he looks less like my personal vision of Aragorn too, but it could turn out great at it

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 11, 4:09pm

Post #48 of 48 (46 views)
Shortcut
Sabastian Stan for Aragorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that Sabastian Stan (Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier in the Marvel Cinematic Universe) is aged 35, but might he be able to play Aragorn?

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 11, 4:10pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.