Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien name-blending (game)

noWizardme
Valinor

Jun 12, 10:47am

Post #1 of 4 (1612 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien name-blending (game) Can't Post

Name-blending is when a couple's names get squished into one portmanteau word - examples

The popularity of celebrity supercouple Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez from 2002 to 2004 resulted in their being known by the portmanteau "Bennifer" (for Ben and Jennifer) to the media, as well as to fans using the name combination. The term Bennifer itself became popular, and started the trend of other celebrity couples being referred to by the combination of each other's first names, as with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie ("Brangelina") and Kanye West and Kim Kardashian ("Kimye")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_blending

I wondered which couples might find themselves with a Tolkien name:

Some are easy:

Bill + Bo = Bilbo
Ella + Dan = Elladan

I can also do:
Orlando + Cristable = Orcrist
Goldie + Lumamba = Gollum

ANY MORE?

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 12, 12:46pm

Post #2 of 4 (1599 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I was stuck on the Bennifer model [In reply to] Can't Post

And could only come up with

Argorn (Arwen + Aragorn)
Galaborn (Galadriel + Celeborn)

But Iíll try to follow your pattern next.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 18, 8:22pm

Post #3 of 4 (1154 views)
Shortcut
This is hard... but FUN! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I could play with this all day... and pretty-much have ;) I'll see if I can come up with some other... cuz I'm hooked!

Thanks NoWizardme!

Shieldmaiden (Eowyn) + Lobelia = Shelob
Tree-men + Longbeards = Treebeard
Dunedain + Harrowdale = Dunharrow
Tolkien + Sandyman = Tolman

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Valinor

Jul 18, 8:45pm

Post #4 of 4 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Bravo // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.