Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Weta - Celebrates 10 years

Eldaria
Rivendell

Jun 8, 9:48pm

Post #1 of 8 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Weta - Celebrates 10 years Can't Post

https://www.stuff.co.nz/...f-showcasing-artists

“There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep ... that have taken hold.”

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 10, 2:33am

Post #2 of 8 (937 views)
Shortcut
Happy Anniversary to the Weta Cave!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Weta Cave is so cool! The Weta Cave entrance with the hobbit door is hidden in the bushes off to the right of the main entrance seen here. As soon as you go in, you’re met with full-size statues of Gandalf, Gollum, Dwarf Guards and Azog. There are shelves of books, clothes, collectibles and anything else you could want.

Weta also has tours of the interior of their workplace. They don’t take you through the actual workshop, but you do get to see so many of the props and prototypes of items for all the films they inhabit. No pictures are allowed, but any questions you have are answered… within reason ;)

My favourite part of the Weta stop is the full wall of collectibles built like a mountain side with all of the statues, helms, and busts made over the nearly 20 years since the films came out.

Their appreciation for the fans of their work is shown from entrance to exit. They even welcome suggestions for other collectibles and environs. As I left during my last March visit, I asked if they were going to make a Pippin statue wearing his Shire clothes so he’d fit in with the statues of Frodo, Merry, Sam and Bill the Pony. They said they’d heard for this to be added a lot, and they would see what they could do ;)

Happy 10-year Anniversary Weta Cave, Tania and Richard! You are the absolute BEST! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Half-elven

Jun 10, 4:01pm

Post #3 of 8 (922 views)
Shortcut
oh the CAVE [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the subject line and thought, "but Weta has been around for more than 20 years surely?" Then I went online and found out it's been more than 30 years of amazing work - even though we here think of them as "ours" because of LOTR. Wink

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 11, 10:44am

Post #4 of 8 (895 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Cave is 10 years, Weta is way longer :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Valinor

Jun 11, 4:25pm

Post #5 of 8 (882 views)
Shortcut
<3 // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Attalus
Lorien

Jun 11, 7:12pm

Post #6 of 8 (865 views)
Shortcut
WETA Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

...is the only thing by WETA that I own. Christmas present from my GF, first Christmas we spent together.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!
Attachments: WETA Balrog.jpg (25.7 KB)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12, 6:46pm

Post #7 of 8 (845 views)
Shortcut
Oh sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Balrog collectible really is incredible! So evocative and detailed :D Excellent!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Attalus
Lorien

Jun 12, 9:48pm

Post #8 of 8 (834 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, it was a nice present. She puts an incredible amount of thought into Christmas presents.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.