Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings, everyone! It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 10, 2:52am

Post #26 of 35 (912 views)
Shortcut
I wish I knew! [In reply to] Can't Post

First off... I must say that there aren't any NO TRESPASSING signs anywhere on the property. We would never go there.

There's no path. It's completely overgrown and hidden by trees and bushes. The house is about 20 feet from the road, and you can't even see it during the summer. The barn is behind that, and I never knew there was ever a barn there even during the winter when the trees were bare of leaves. I've driven past that place hundreds of times over the past 28 years of living here. We did find some old newspapers dated 1959. The barn on the property is 2/3 fallen in... and those don't collapse easily. So sitting empty since 1959 or even 1969 wouldn't be out of the question. I'm definitely researching it as much as I can.

I discovered the old Sheep farm house we explored over the past 4 years was owned and abandoned by the parents of the old farmer around the corner about a mile away, and his grandparent's farmhouse was collapsed next door. All 3 farms were within a mile of each other. I also discovered my house (about 4 miles away) that I bought from young man in 1990 is their grandson.

The Sheep farm was just completely demolished last month and plowed under for one of the many turbines being built. You'd never know there was ever a farm there. Broke my heart. I was able to get a few pieces of the barn wood before they burned it all. I also dug up some flowers and hostas that still grew there after being bulldozed and driven over multiple times. I've got them planted in my yard. I'll always think of that farm and the woman who must have planted them long ago.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 10, 2:58am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 10, 5:28pm

Post #27 of 35 (852 views)
Shortcut
So you have a "connection" [In reply to] Can't Post

to that other property! It's like you're continuing their story. Smile

I'm glad you were able to salvage some parts of that property. Yes, I know how it can grieve the heart, to find places that once graced the landscape have totally disappeared. Sometimes for good, sometimes for ill. (Please keep us updated on the turbines!)

Heh, there's a road not far from me, where twenty years ago I'd go strawberry picking the end of each June. Then the farmer sold those acres, and a development of overly-large houses was put in. Tongue Just goes to show, that strawberry fields AREN'T forever!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 11, 10:49am

Post #28 of 35 (775 views)
Shortcut
Oh! I hope so! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done the same thing with my Grandmother's lilac bushes (4 colours), Mom's lilacs and ferns, and wild roses from the family farm in Ohio I haven't seen in over 20 years. I hope your Grandmother's roses are still there!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 11, 10:50am

Post #29 of 35 (770 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! They won! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That's so great... but the cold finally moving in is not so great :( Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 11, 10:52am

Post #30 of 35 (750 views)
Shortcut
That festival sounds fascinating! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy to see that it's growing :D And good luck on the appointments... and the pocket calendar hunt!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 11, 10:57am

Post #31 of 35 (725 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful celebration! [In reply to] Can't Post

50 years!? Wow :D It's so stirring to be a part of something so beautiful. And to have the conductors who have all been a part of it makes it all the more special :D Was it this past Sunday? I hope it was everything you knew it could be :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Half-elven

Jun 11, 3:30pm

Post #32 of 35 (680 views)
Shortcut
it was lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

Full houses for both concerts, a reception afterward during which I learned a lot about the history of the group and which included a "flash mob" surprise from several singers, past and present, then an after-party at a local pub where I got into a fun discussion about creativity with Eric William Barnum, the composer of our commissioned piece, which provoked a table-wide sharing of how different people let the muse speak to them.

This group has been from the get-go far more social than any choir I've been in the past, which may be part of the secret to its success (apart from excellent musicality); from the start I've felt included and valued. We're about to take our summer break and many people came up to me at the reception or party and said "and you're coming back in the fall, right?" Warmed me right through. And although I am one of the oldest folks in the group, the 20- and 30-somethings have been the ones I've bonded with most. (Being a fantasy & sci-fi geek helps . . .)

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 11, 10:00pm

Post #33 of 35 (595 views)
Shortcut
Right now it's blowing a gale out there. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I didn't need to do a supermarket run, I wouldn't leave the house today.

Could be a lot worse, though: the east coast is getting the rain and they're in the middle of their second flood in a fortnight. Unsure

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12, 6:48pm

Post #34 of 35 (523 views)
Shortcut
Brrrr... [In reply to] Can't Post

Stay safe! And warm! It's good to miss the flooding; but some days the weather is just a lousy mess! Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12, 6:52pm

Post #35 of 35 (521 views)
Shortcut
What a perfect day :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE Flash Mobs! What a great treat! Finding such a warm community of lovely souls is so wonderful. :) I love how they've made you feel how much your appreciated and accepted. I'm so happy for you :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.