Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings, everyone! It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 8, 3:59pm

Post #1 of 35 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, everyone! It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Hello everyone, and welcome to Fiesta!

Summer is in full swing here in the northern part of the globe, so the deck chairs are out and the pool is inviting! For the southies, we still have a fire going inside at the end of the bar with all the comfy chairs. So, order up your favorite summer (or winter) liquid refreshment, have a pass at the buffet, and let us know how life is treating you and what your plans are for the weekend!

*puts quarters on juke box* play us a song for the weekend!
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! CoolHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

cats16
Valinor

Jun 8, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 35 (1095 views)
Shortcut
First, for once? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, Altaira! I'm sneaking in early while at work. *preps a raspberry lemonade*

Very sad to hear of Anthony Bourdain's passing.

Just started another read-through of LotR, which will keep me occupied for the time being. I love reading it at night (especially FotR).

Planning to see Long Day's Journey into Night tomorrow afternoon, with Jeremy Irons and Lesley Manville starring. I've never seen or read this one, so I'm excited!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 8, 4:47pm

Post #3 of 35 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Hey there, cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's nothing better than opening LOTR and revisiting Middle-earth. I hope you enjoy your re-read, and enjoy your weekend too! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 8, 4:49pm

Post #4 of 35 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Friday so soon! [In reply to] Can't Post

The week has flown by! The others in my household came down with a stomach bug this week, but I've been spared (so far). So I'll indulge in a Long Island Ice Tea, please, Altaira!

I've got to figure out how to out-smart some critters that are stealing my tomatoes. I've got the plant in a pot on the deck, and yesterday found the half-dozen green tomatoes gone - and some of the leaves neatly nipped off! Could this be the dastardly work of raccoons, and does anyone know what to do about it? Unsure

*puts quarters in juke box* "Summer in the City" - an oldie but goodie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 8, 4:54pm

Post #5 of 35 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's "Field Day" here (a day of outdoor recreations for all the kids), so our schedule is crazy. I've just popped in.

Are you seeing Long Day's Journey on stage? It was recently put on in the town next to mine, at the Monte Cristo Cottage, where Eugene O'Neill wrote it. I've also never read or seen it, and I should, I've heard it's excellent. Enjoy the performance!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 8, 5:03pm

Post #6 of 35 (1091 views)
Shortcut
The dreaded tomato thief! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lol. I've never heard of such a thing, but I googled it and, low and behold, racoons are known to steal all sorts of food. I found this almanac article with a few suggestions. I love that one of them is just to plant enough for the critters *and* the humans. Right, thanks a lot. Laugh
I hope you enjoy the weekend, and avoid the nasty stomach bug!

Attalus
Lorien

Jun 8, 7:11pm

Post #7 of 35 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Anthony B, RIP [In reply to] Can't Post

Was very sad to hear of his passing, and in such a way. Frown. I read Kitchen Confidential back in the day, and enjoyed a look into a world I had never imagined could be so scary and so entertaining.

Let me have a glass of beer in memory of Anthony. (Hold the heroin, though. Any reader of Kitchen Confidential knows the man had demons.)

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 8, 7:33pm

Post #8 of 35 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Happy Fiesta :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's busy busy busy here. G'son and I investigated an abandoned farmhouse in the middle of nowhere and wondered what the family was like and how their days were filled. It's sad, but so enchanting.

I had to stop by and grab a lemonade and wish everyone a great weekend! Thanks so much for taking such great care of us, Altaira :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 8, 7:35pm

Post #9 of 35 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Such sad news about Bourdain [In reply to] Can't Post

It was shocking. :(

I hope you have a great time this weekend. And I agree... FotR is a great read at night when it's quiet.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 8, 7:39pm

Post #10 of 35 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Raccoons are bad here, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Are to pots too heavy or big to suspend? I haven't had much luck with them. I've even had wire fencing top and sides with weights and tie-downs, and they rip it to pieces. Hanging things up seems to be my most successful battle plan.

Good Luck... and I really hope you don't catch that bug... but that you do catch the culprit! :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 8, 7:57pm

Post #11 of 35 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

What adventures you two are having in between movie marathons! It sounds like he's all decked out in full archery gear, and you've introduced him to some time-tested classic films. I hope you both enjoy the weekend, whatever adventures it brings your way. Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 8, 8:04pm

Post #12 of 35 (1074 views)
Shortcut
*it's cold it's cold it's cold it's cold* [In reply to] Can't Post

A hot chocolate and a blanket, please Altaira! It's dawned crisp and clear this morning with a white mountain and blue skies. Bonus: the weeds will finally slow down their growth!

Our All Blacks are playing France in the firs test of the season tonight and I'll be at a pub with a friend to watch the game. It should be a good game. :)

Happy end of the week, everyone! Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 8, 8:07pm

Post #13 of 35 (1062 views)
Shortcut
My tamarillos have fallen foul of some thieves too, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I suspect mine are of the five-fingered variety. Mad

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jun 9, 11:43am

Post #14 of 35 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Going to the Texas Folklife Festival [In reply to] Can't Post

featuring music, dance, craft, and most importantly food of 30+ ethnic groups. Among the new ones this year are Romanian and Congolese. Great for continuous nibbling!
Speaking of nibbling, last year we lost all our ripe tomatoes to some creature, whether human or animal we do not know. Trying to decide if we're planting any in September; between predators and drought, it may be a losing proposition.
K-12 schools are done for the year and the next three weeks bring several medical appointments, I hope with routine outcomes. Unfortunately I've mislaid my pocket calendar and have to reconstruct my schedule. *head desk*
Best wishes to all,ElanorTX
p.s. The 14th is Flag Day in the U.S. Do any other countries have a holiday dedicated to their flag?

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9, 1:10pm

Post #15 of 35 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Do you have possums? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wondering if it was raccoons who were eating my tomatoes, but now I've found that possums can be just as bad! Onion powder didn't work, so I'm going to try a garlic/chili powder mix on any new fruits.

Oh no - not the pocket calendar! I feel your pain, I would be at a complete loss without mine! (Glad to see that there's another person who does not trust electronic calendars, though. Smile)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9, 1:11pm

Post #16 of 35 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

That link led me to others...and now I know it could also be the possums. Am going to try a garlic/chili powder mix to see if that makes the next ones un-palatible to them!

cats16
Valinor

Jun 9, 4:31pm

Post #17 of 35 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, you too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Jun 9, 4:35pm

Post #18 of 35 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now we changed our minds and aren't going to the show (but yes, on stage), opting instead to find something free to do. Angelic Poor twenty-somethings are so predictable. I envy those who get to see this one, though!

Ah, I remember Field Day. Always fun for the kids and a nightmare for the adults. And I hope you've got the Emergen-C on hand, if that stomach bug is floating around!

cats16
Valinor

Jun 9, 4:39pm

Post #19 of 35 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Abandoned farmhouses [In reply to] Can't Post

Are so creepy at the right time of day! Usually around dusk, for me. I hated walking by old houses at dusk in the middle of nowhere (even if they were neighbors' houses). But I'm sure it was a fun adventure during the day while the sun is high!

Thanks, hope you and the grandson have a great weekend.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9, 6:07pm

Post #20 of 35 (1013 views)
Shortcut
The last remnants of past lives [In reply to] Can't Post

Was there even any path up to the farmhouse? Any idea how old it could be, or when the occupants might have moved out...or all died, with no one left to care for it?

When I was a young teen my parents moved into a neighborhood that was "young", with several houses still under construction. My friends and I would wander around the houses, when the workers weren't there; it was fascinating to see how they were being built, and to imagine how they would look when finished.

You two were doing the opposite! I hope it's still safe enough, could that place possibly be renovated some day?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9, 6:08pm

Post #21 of 35 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Their win should warm you up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh, I saw the greatest headline, "All Blacks make French toast"! Laugh

Attalus
Lorien

Jun 9, 9:13pm

Post #22 of 35 (992 views)
Shortcut
Abandoned farmhouses [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was a kid, we visited kin in South Carolina. The farmhouse my Dad grew up in was abandoned. Oddly enough, in all that wrack, there was a rosebush blooming. He said that was his mother's, and he remembered her watering it. He dug it up, took it home, and planted it by our house. I wonder if it is still there. :(

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

Annael
Half-elven

Jun 9, 9:46pm

Post #23 of 35 (988 views)
Shortcut
Rain! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a drier, hotter May than usual so I'm happy to see some good rain - which of course is forecast to go on all weekend. But that's okay because it's concert weekend and we get more folks in the audience if the weather's not so good.

We are singing a piece commissioned by us from the composer Eric William Barnham for the 50th anniversary of the chorus; it's beautiful, and the composer's been in residence with us this week tweaking things. (Saying things like "you sang it just as I marked it, but I've changed my mind!") The mayor of Seattle issued a proclamation that this is Northwest Chamber Chorus weekend as well. One of the oldest choirs in the city. I've only been a part of it for a year but my friend has been in it nearly 40 years. All four of the conductors, founding, past, and present, will be in attendance for the Sunday concert and reception afterwards (and the after-party!).

So a nice cup of tea to soothe the tissues please . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Jun 9, 9:51pm

Post #24 of 35 (981 views)
Shortcut
so rude! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a gorgeous Oriental poppy that was a deep purple with black; I carefully nurtured the seed pods so I could plant more - and then one night someone came by and TOOK THEM ALL. I would happily have given them some if they'd only asked.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 9, 11:14pm

Post #25 of 35 (964 views)
Shortcut
It's a pity the ref had such a big impact on the game [In reply to] Can't Post

because it was a proper test match for the first 50 minutes - but boy there were some cracking tries in the second half! So good to watch. Smile

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.