Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Peter Jackson and Amazon Series Involvement - Maybe!

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 7, 8:45am

Post #1 of 10 (1948 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson and Amazon Series Involvement - Maybe! Can't Post

Due to the diametrally clashing interviews released yesterday by IGN Deutschland and French Allociné, the German portal Filmstarts.de asked both sites for clarification of their sources.
IGN could provide an audio recording of the interview with PJ which confirms their article:
- PJ is not involved directly with the Amazon series, and of course not as showrunner.
- However, he is "putting the creative team together" for the project.
- Also, he confirmed to be ready to participate in the project "in some capacity" and to help Amazon, as he is excited about their project.

The Allociné is still checking their interview as of now.

Source

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Jun 7, 8:52am)

Chen G.
Rivendell

Jun 7, 9:13am

Post #2 of 10 (1914 views)
Shortcut
I was never too hopeful for him to be the showrunner, anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

He's not a Television producer, and it would have interfered with his filmmaking. But I did hope (and in certain respects, still am) that he will help guide some of the creative choices.

As a writer, director and producer, Jackson had created a cinematic universe and an overarching narrative crossing six films and 21 hours of cinema, with each trilogy created as a unified production - a feat unmatched by even Star Wars and Marvel: Both - having never adopted the concept of shooting multiple entries simultaneously - had various writers and directors in their various films (Lucas didn't write not directed the best film in his franchise), the former having a much more lopsided shifts in quality and ticks in continuity between entries, and the latter not presenting one unified narrative but an episodic anthology.

I was just hoping he would help keep this show compatible and driven by his vision for Middle Earth.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Jun 7, 9:15am)

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 7, 2:15pm

Post #3 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut
Another Update [In reply to] Can't Post

There was another update to this earleir today:

http://www.digitalspy.com/...of-the-rings-series/

Digital Spy went to Jackson's representatives on Thursday (June 7) for clarity and they told us that the director is not involved in Amazon's project at this time.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Fereth
Rivendell

Jun 7, 9:13pm

Post #4 of 10 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Rats. [In reply to] Can't Post

Could still be in continuity with the films, though, right?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 8, 12:02am

Post #5 of 10 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Maybe. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Could still be in continuity with the films, though, right?

Yes, it could be--though I personally hope not. Some of Jackson's alterations make me a little crazy, especially in the Hobbit films. My biggest bugaboo in the LotR movies was bringing the Army of the Dead to Minas Tirith.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 8, 12:03am)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jun 8, 1:20am

Post #6 of 10 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Do those deviations have to be addressed [In reply to] Can't Post

Do those deviations have to be addressed in the show though? Except from Aragon being older in the films I think most deviations in the films can be dodged.

Vocalist of the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 8, 1:27am

Post #7 of 10 (1717 views)
Shortcut
No, not specifically. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do those deviations have to be addressed in the show though? Except from Aragon being older in the films I think most deviations in the films can be dodged.

It's not that Aragorn was older in the LotR films (he wasn't); the altered timeline meant that he needed to be born earlier to be (roughly) the same age in the War of the Ring. It would be simpler if the series ignores that entirely rather than have to come up with a new timeline of the events in Aragorn's life. That, and I still love the original idea introduced by Tolkien that Aragorn was a 10 year-old boy living in Rivendell at the same time that the Company of Thorin Oakenshield was there (11 years old by the time that Bilbo and Gandalf returned on the hobbit's way home to Bag End).

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 8, 1:33am)

Chen G.
Rivendell

Jun 8, 9:45am

Post #8 of 10 (1638 views)
Shortcut
But the condensed timeline is there for other reasons, too [In reply to] Can't Post

If the book were to be followd to the letter, there would be a twenty year gap between the first few Shire scenes and Frodo leaving Bag End. It wouldn't have worked for a film: it just undermines the immediacy of the threat. Its the elimination of those twenty years that make Aragorn 20-year old during the events of The Hobbit.

Just like Dol Guldur has been inhabited by The Necromancer for centuries by the time of the quest of Erebor, with the White Council already suspectig it to be Sauron or one of his minions.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 8, 12:27pm

Post #9 of 10 (1614 views)
Shortcut
3001 to 3018 [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a 17-year gap that Peter Jackson managed to reduce to a single year; though he complicated things even more by getting the year wrong for Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday (placing it in T.A. 3000). The time jump didn't seem to bother Ralph Bakshi in his adaptation of The Lord of the Rings even if his transition was awkward. The only thing it would have required was, if Jackson showed Merry, Pippin and Samwise at Bilbo's farewell party then they would have had to be noticeably younger at that time and probably played by child actors.

Aragorn was more likely to be either 25 or 26 years old in the films at the time of the Quest of Erebor (born in either 2014 or 2015). We would need to know precise dates for the events in Rohan in the film of The Two Towers in relation to Aragorn's birthday on March 1 to know for certain.

If, in the films, Gandalf enlisted Aragorn's aid in tracking down Gollum, it only works if the wizard was able to find Aragorn before he continued on to Minas Tirith to research the Ring, though it's entirely possible that was exactly what happened.

In Reply To
Just like Dol Guldur has been inhabited by The Necromancer for centuries by the time of the quest of Erebor, with the White Council already suspectig it to be Sauron or one of his minions.

Oh, in Tolkien's legendarium, the White Council knew for a fact that the Necromancer was Sauron after Gandalf revealed the results of his investigation of Dol Guldur to the Council in the year 2851. And Saruman still vetoed Gandalf's proposal to take action against the Enemy. And, yes, it is easy to question the wisdom of this course of action.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 8, 12:27pm)

Chen G.
Rivendell

Nov 8, 11:00pm

Post #10 of 10 (138 views)
Shortcut
Update [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Jackson:

They’ve asked me [to be involved] and I’ve said that we would certainly look at the scripts.[...]Even if I don’t get involved in directing, I’m certainly happy to share our designs.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/tintin-2-start-filming-next-year-says-peter-jackson-164315226.html?guccounter=1

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Nov 8, 11:04pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.