Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Looking for the Book of Mazarbul

MerlinEngine

Jun 5, 9:56pm

Post #1 of 5 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Looking for the Book of Mazarbul Can't Post

I am looking for high quality images or preferably a clearly legible transcript of the few pages of the Book of Mazarbul that have apparently been published in some versions of LotR (Wiki's claim; they're certainly not in mine). I say 'few' since I don't know how many there are in total (hopefully just a couple). It is very important that the transcript is in Cirth, not in Latin alphabet.

Does anyone know where I might find something like that?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 6, 12:20am

Post #2 of 5 (1389 views)
Shortcut
All in Cirth? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure that your facsimile of The Book of Mazarbul actually exists. However, if it does then it probably would not be completely written using Cirth, at least not if the publisher was true to Tolkien's text. The original, found in the Chamber of Mazarbul, was described as "written by many different hands, in runes, both of Moria and of Dale, and here and there in Elvish script." The particular pages recorded by Ori were written in "a large bold hand using an Elvish script."

Evidently Tolkien himself did produce some sample pages, which can be seen at the Book of Mazarbul entry at Tolkien Gateway.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 6, 12:29am)

MerlinEngine

Jun 7, 10:23am

Post #3 of 5 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Both in Cirth [In reply to] Can't Post

So it looks like there are only three pages, then. I'm interested in the two that are written in Cirth. As you pointed out, images of these pages are hosted on Tolkien Gateway (or elsewhere on the web; Google gives a plenty of results), but they're low resolution and I can't read a large portion of the text, so they're not of much help.
I either need better quality or a source - Tolkien Gateway suggests they have been published, but it is unclear where.

(This post was edited by MerlinEngine on Jun 7, 10:25am)

Murlo
Rivendell

Jun 7, 1:48pm

Post #4 of 5 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Try the 50th anniversary edition of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tolkien Gateway suggests they have been published, but it is unclear where.

I don't own a copy, but I thought that these pages were reproduced in The Lord of the Rings 50th Anniversary, one-volume edition.

It looks like they're also reproduced in Hammond & Scull's The Art of The Lord of the Rings.

MerlinEngine

Jun 10, 4:04pm

Post #5 of 5 (1178 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! I'll look it up [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it might be difficult for me to get my hands on either of those, but at least now I know where to look. Thanks!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.