Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
One character for whom the Silmarillon had a happy ending!

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Jun 4, 9:16pm

Post #1 of 5 (1771 views)
Shortcut
One character for whom the Silmarillon had a happy ending! Can't Post

At least a slightly happy ending. And possibly the only one of the Elven princes which we are told about that does. Out of all the ones that dies, Finrod is mentioned that he later walks in the woods of Valinor with his father. Now admittedly this is after he dies after mortal wounds after battling a Sauron-bewitched werewolf which must have been painful for anybody and this is in the middle of the tale, but at least we know this and he did live after. And with a decent person too. Now, thinking about it, one other character that could have been resurrected in Valinor, but we are not told about it is possibly Fingolfin. After all, he did not swear any soul daming oath himself, he just followed some that did. And as he was one that had a personal duel with Morgoth, which must have taken some courage, might the Valar have pardoned him and resurrected him also?

InTheChair
Lorien

Jun 5, 6:03pm

Post #2 of 5 (1709 views)
Shortcut
I guess Galadriel is a character from the Silmarillion that eventually went on to a happier ending. Though maybe you counted only princes? [In reply to] Can't Post

one other character that could have been resurrected in Valinor, but we are not told about it is possibly Fingolfin. After all, he did not swear any soul daming oath himself, he just followed some that did.

That's a little over-simplified. Fingolfin was accounted one the leaders of the rebellion, and he continued to lead the people away after Feanor had abandoned them, possbily looking for some kind of revenge against Feanor. I'm guessing Fingolfin would be one of the last people to be resurrected.

Finrod on the other hand gave his life for a mere Human, to no gain of his own or his people, but for his love of humans and because his word was as good as they get. He also, beside Turgon saw early futility of challenging Morgoth head on, and sought other refuges.

I think such things weighed in more on the decision to grant him new incarnation relatively early.

Morthoron
Gondor

Jun 8, 11:50pm

Post #3 of 5 (1642 views)
Shortcut
There were quite a few... [In reply to] Can't Post

Right off the bat I would say Beren and Luthien, along with Tuor and Idril.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

InTheChair
Lorien

Jun 9, 8:24am

Post #4 of 5 (1602 views)
Shortcut
I suppose you might also say Finarfin [In reply to] Can't Post

Since he was re-united with at least one of his children.

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Jun 11, 10:32pm

Post #5 of 5 (1395 views)
Shortcut
I suppose at a pinch [In reply to] Can't Post

You could also say Elros. He was about at the end of the war of wrath, lived 500 years, a very long time for man and as he died then he did not have to endure the long defeat of later ages.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.