The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Watching Thread: "I've got a really good feeling about this."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2018, 10:24pm

Post #1 of 7 (930 views)
Shortcut
The Watching Thread: "I've got a really good feeling about this." Can't Post

First off - an apology. I missed posting the new thread last week (though thankfully the previous one was still fairly high on the front page). I went out of town and, regretfully, failed to put it up before leaving. I then came home to find my wi-fi not working. I got a new modem today, so all is well now. My most sincere apologies, TORNsibs.

Now then, while away on my trip, I had the wonderful opportunity to see Solo: A Star Wars Story in theaters, and had an absolute BLAST. I thought it was just a wonderful thrill ride from beginning to end, and I was shocked by how much I didn't care that Alden Ehrenreich wasn't Harrison Ford. He has his own charm, and made the role his own. The rest of the cast was simply marvelous as well. I'm bummed this isn't doing as well at the Box Office as the other films, as it was probably my favorite of the new Disney-era films (though I can't help but chuckle at claims that the film is a "box office disaster" - dramatic much?).

I have thoughts on a certain scene, which made me jump up and down with excitement - but I'll save that for later in a spoiler post.

Also watched my new Blu-ray of Annihilation, one of my favorite films of the year. Still as intriguing and freaky as I remember in theaters. But one difference was that I definitely picked up on more this time around - particularly concerning some of the films thematic meaning.

Finally, I wanted to mention Monday night's double bonus episodes of "Lucifer", which was recently cancelled. Unsure The episodes were shot during the Season 3 shoot, but were meant as standalone Season 4 episodes. They were an absolute joy, and in some ways, "Once Upon a Time" was a perfect way to close out the series - if this is indeed the end of the show. Hopefully the #SaveLucifer campaign will be successful. I'm not ready to say goodbye to these characters yet. Heart

What are you watching?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 2 2018, 11:15pm

Post #2 of 7 (894 views)
Shortcut
I keep seeing people praising Solo [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't get it. I was bored throughout - the entire story felt pointless. I don't think this was a Star Wars movie that needed to be made.

We're a few episodes into season three of Lucifer down here and I'm ticked off that the show's been cancelled. Has there been any movement on another channel picking up the show?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2018, 1:16am

Post #3 of 7 (879 views)
Shortcut
Lucifer... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We're a few episodes into season three of Lucifer down here and I'm ticked off that the show's been cancelled. Has there been any movement on another channel picking up the show?

Tom Ellis and the showrunners have been actively shopping the show around (and Ellis has been making tv appearances to promote the efforts). They've said that talks are happening, but they can't comment on how those talks are going at present (which is to be expected). The consensus seems to be that the show's best chance is on a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu (or even DC's upcoming service).

One little positive nugget is that the Season 3 DVD (and Blu-ray) set was announced a couple days ago, and two versions of the cover art were sent out. The initial one read "The Complete Third and Final Season", while the second one just said "The Complete Third Season". So WB must think there's at least some chance of the show getting picked up.

Fingers crossed.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 3 2018, 5:00pm

Post #4 of 7 (855 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree about "Solo" [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, as we were leaving the theater we were all predicting that this wouldn't be a Solo film, so I'm surprised that this film is labeled as a disappointment. Only in Hollywood could the No. 1 movie make $103 million and be called "disappointing."
I pulled the plug on "Once" a couple of seasons ago, don't know but I guess I got burned out. I've started watching "Colony" on USA, Graham McTavish had a short but very intense run on that show. Looking forward to seeing him in "Preacher" soon, also the 4th season of "Poldark" starts next week, and "Ocean's Eight" starts on June 8th in theaters. I'll get back with you on those.

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jun 3 2018, 9:46pm

Post #5 of 7 (825 views)
Shortcut
Conclusion of "The Terror", finale of Once Upon a Time and continuing with The Zoo [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything hit the fan on the final two episodes of The Terror, with acts of bravery, humanity and compassion as well as selfishness, evil and madness. A class act all the way. I wish we would get more like this.

I'm one of those who stuck with OUAT until the end. Apparently the showrunners knew they might hit trouble with the move to Seattle but felt they had no choice with the cast shake-up - and warned the holdover castmembers that they didn't know if things would work. I liked how they brought all the surviving former regulars and recurring characters back except for Ruby and August, and the endings for Regina and Rumpel were fitting.

Also enjoying Animal Planet's The Zoo, having grown up in the Bronx with regular visits. Fun seeing all the familiar exhibits and all the work these dedicated keepers put in. Some of the stories are heartwarming, others sad (although some inevitably so considering most animals don't have our lifespan), but always interesting.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 11 2018, 7:59pm

Post #6 of 7 (756 views)
Shortcut
Via Netflix: Containment; Sense8; The Ministry of Time [In reply to] Can't Post

Containment: I thought this could be mildly entertaining, plus it has a role for Claudia Black, whom I like a lot. Premise: a plague starts in Atlanta leading to quarantine, and then it's about life inside and outside the quarantine while of course the plague slowly progresses. This seems like a whole new genre akin to "Under the Dome" and some other shows of life in sequestered places, and like "Under the Dome," I gave up after a few episodes. The latter I felt was too silly and full of plot holes, whereas "Containment" seemed more grounded in reality and logic, yet there wasn't much difference from one episode to the next except some people being sick and others feeling distraught that they would be next.

Sense8 finale: the series was cancelled prematurely but, like with Farscape, we were given a 2-hour show to wrap up loose ends. Most of the debates about the show devolve into fights about all the alternative sexuality, but I was most interested in the nearly Tolkienesque world-building that went on with a modern-day Earth where small clusters of ordinary people scattered around the globe can develop mental and emotional bonds and interact with each other. It was as thoughtfully developed as "The Matrix", also by the Wachowskis. The first season was fascinating, and though confusing, I didn't mind re-watching episodes to figure out what was going on as people inexplicably crossed paths and shared experiences (a Mexican man had to share a Korean woman's PMS, for example, which was funny). The second season just didn't grab me as much, though I watched it all and was disappointed by the cancellation. The finale delivered answers to mysteries that I'm glad I didn't have to wait 5 years to unravel. I did like the characters in this show and will miss them.

The Ministry of Time/El Ministerio Del Tiempo: this was a good premise--a secret ministry of the Spanish government charged with time travel to make sure the past stays "right" to keep the present stable. There's no TARDIS flying around with Doctor Who and a sonic screwdriver; instead it's a bunch of bureaucrats doing their jobs, more or less, to offset others who want to disrupt history, and they just walk through special doors to get where they're going without anything high-tech. After a few episodes I wouldn't say I gave up, but I needed a break, because it seemed to get repetitive in its storytelling rather quickly and also seemed vaguely like a soap opera.

BOSW
Bree

Jun 12 2018, 12:44pm

Post #7 of 7 (732 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I was totally underwhelmed by Solo--an easter egg basket of a movie, all "homages" and internal references that go nowhere. The whole thing ends with a whimper. The last SW movie I will pay full price for. They'll all turn up on Netflix sooner or later....

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.