Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws Open Door* It's Fiesta Friday!!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 1, 3:19pm

Post #1 of 36 (700 views)
Shortcut
*Throws Open Door* It's Fiesta Friday!!!! Can't Post

Greetings Sibbies to an EARLY Fiesta!

This is a rush-in and dash-out start to our Fiesta today as the summer-esque RL distractions take hold. Our lovely Altaira has a rare day off and I'm zipping down the road for a lunch with some former co-workers I haven't seen since my retirement 2 years ago! :o But I'll be back and be sure to fill your glasses :D

So what are your plans for the weekend AND how has the past week treated you?

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Half-elven

Jun 1, 7:47pm

Post #2 of 36 (645 views)
Shortcut
wanders in, looks around . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

wow, it's empty in here . . .

I'm hard at work for a submission for Mythlore! having fun. More later if it gets accepted.

Going to "Solo" tomorrow, maybe hiking Sunday. Or gardening. Who knows?

* helps self to a hard lemonade, wanders off . . . *

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Attalus
Lorien

Jun 1, 8:11pm

Post #3 of 36 (641 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

We, too, are going to see "Solo" tomorrow. Must remember to drink margaritas with dinner. In fact, why not start now? Pirate

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 1, 8:45pm

Post #4 of 36 (637 views)
Shortcut
*stretches lazily* It's a long weekend here [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'm not only doing very little, but I'm doing it very slowly. Smile

It's another sunny day here so I think I'll get into the garden later this morning: dig up the yams, spray the heck out of the guava and lime bushes to try to get them back to health, and maybe even plant out some potatoes. Tomorrow is a rain day so I plan to indulge in reading and making some way through the TV programmes I've got recorded. (I still haven't finished this season's The Walking Dead or X-Files.)

Happy end of the week, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 1, 8:46pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 1, 11:04pm

Post #5 of 36 (626 views)
Shortcut
That's quite a spread, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ice-cream sundaes? I'll claim one of those, thank you! Smile

Today was spent taking various younger classes on the half-mile walk to the town library to find out what programs they have this summer. What a time, dodging the drizzles and downpours! I'm all frizzled! Laugh

Tomorrow thundershowers are expected, which means: a good day to see a movie. Solo, of course!

Has it really been two years since you retired? So what's happening at your former workplace?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 2, 12:25am

Post #6 of 36 (621 views)
Shortcut
Gardening sounds good! [In reply to] Can't Post

You'e got a busy weekend going on, there! My g'son and I just got back from seeing Solo for 2nd time.... still fun! Have a GREAT weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 2, 1:46am

Post #7 of 36 (611 views)
Shortcut
That sounds very relaxing [In reply to] Can't Post

Any time you can have a quiet weekend and play in the garden, read, and rest up is AWESOME! I hope you enjoy you slowed-down weekend :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 2, 1:57am

Post #8 of 36 (611 views)
Shortcut
Frazzled and frizzled!? [In reply to] Can't Post

How much of that was from the weather and how much from the company ;) I hope there are some great programs to keep the kiddies engaged and busy.

Solo is a good movie! It's not the best Star Wars movie, but g'son and I have enjoyed it twice now and laugh more than once.

Work has really gone downhill, sadly. We used to be known as the Library and Department where everyone was very supportive, productive and innovative. With new Admins and the focus of our Dept Heads shifting from quality and inclusion to number crunching and getting rid of people/work units, the hours of the workers' lives there seem futile. It's no fun there anymore and everyone feels optional, unimportant and insulted with the "you are all disposable" attitude by Admins. My work... that was essentially quality control of the information going into the online catalog... has been let go. They folded the unit and now just dump the bibliographic information into the site with no proofing and checking to see if something as basic as the call number is correct. It's so sad. Waste of a good apple ;)

Enjoy your weekend, my Friend... and stay dry!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 2, 2:31am

Post #9 of 36 (611 views)
Shortcut
French fries? and ketchup? [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as there's no calories...*munch munch* Thanks! There's plenty, dig in!

Their theme this year is "Libraries Rock", so they've got musical events (like a gal who plays electric violin and displays the sound waves as she plays, and someone who plays African drums and will show the kids how to play them), along with animal and nature shows. And, of course, a reading challenge!

My son has seen Solo once, and has the same opinion, so he wants to see it again, with me!

That is so sad to hear, about the library where you worked. It's as if they're deliberately making the place unusable! (How in the world do they expect someone doing research to find anything? Of COURSE the catalog records have to be modified to assure the item is properly defined and locatable at that particular facility!) It's as if the Admins have no clue as to how a library is supposed to work, only how to count beans...Mad.

I'd love to toss rotten apples at uncaring people like them!

cats16
Valinor

Jun 2, 2:50pm

Post #10 of 36 (586 views)
Shortcut
*quick pit stop* [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooh, I'll assume that LotR cookie is vegan and slip it in my pocket for the road. Thanks Angelic

For some reason I thought a dentist appointment at 8:30am on a Saturday was a good idea (it wasn't). Crossing my fingers and toes for no issues.

Starting to inch its way toward 80 degree weather here with regularity. But I'll savor these 70 degree days while they're still around.

I've got a friend's birthday brunch later this morning down near the beach. Thankfully they have avocado toast, so I can actually eat *something* there. Tomorrow I'll go on that hike we didn't make it to last weekend. Finally told my boss I plan to take a couple of vacation days--my first since starting with the company 1.5 years ago. Now I just gotta find somewhere to go! Portland/Seattle would be great and cheap, but it's a matter of finding good Airbnb's that aren't already booked.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Jun 2, 8:09pm

Post #11 of 36 (569 views)
Shortcut
Quiet fiesta this week - [In reply to] Can't Post

all the more ice cream for me, then! Loking at those beauties has made me want to take a mini-Magnum from the freezer, but I'll wait until I've posted - gloop on the keyboard is not a good look. Just had a couple of days away in North Wales near Laketown - haha, no - Bala! It is a town by a lake, though, which is very scenic... back to a garden needing attention - everything grows so fast at this time of the year. Next Saturday is a big community event on the green; my knitting group (we even have knitted bunting!) will be having a sale of work stall in aid of local charity and everyone is crossing their fingers for good - or at least fair - weather. This is NW England, so it's anybody's guess what'll happen. Off for that ice cream now - cheers, folks!

Ettelewen
Rohan

Jun 2, 11:10pm

Post #12 of 36 (566 views)
Shortcut
Hi all [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't even lurked much lately, I'm afraid I'm having some hard times in RL. My lovely Mom had a seizure a couple of weeks ago, and it looks like she's going to be passing on soon to be with my Dad. She's had a good, long, fulfilling life of 91 years and will be sorely missed. My sister is flying up from down south on Monday, and we'll be celebrating her life soon.

*Raises Glass* Celebrating Moms everywhere! I hope I can live up to her loving, caring, supporting, active and exacting example.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 2, 11:13pm

Post #13 of 36 (559 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry to hear that, Ettelewen. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to hear that you've got family coming together, though. My best wishes to you at this time.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 3, 12:34am

Post #14 of 36 (555 views)
Shortcut
Oh, so sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

It's really hard losing a parent. Even though your Mom is 91, it's never the right time to lose her. I lost my Mom over 15 years ago, but there are still times I find myself starting to call her. Cheers to your Mom and your family!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 3, 12:49am

Post #15 of 36 (551 views)
Shortcut
So sorry, Ettelewen! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is so difficult to lose a parent, even at a long age; but I'm glad she was blessed with a wonderful life, and she has been a blessing to you and your family. Heart

{{Hugs}}!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 3, 12:53am

Post #16 of 36 (549 views)
Shortcut
Avocado toast! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been getting the impression, that that's a food group all of its own in SoCal! Laugh

Hope you find a good place to stay for the vacation!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 3, 12:54am

Post #17 of 36 (555 views)
Shortcut
My backsplash is done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted about this a couple weeks ago, and a 2-year project is finally done! Last Saturday, the 26th of May, I attended a class on backsplash tile at my local Home Depot. I got lucky because there was only one other student, and our instructor was excellent. It was supposed to be a 1.5 hour class, but we were there for over 3 hours. We set tile, cut tile, added grout, and sealed the tile. So informative.
I felt ready to take on my project. I got lucky again because the tile I chose did not need grout, and in my class I learned about this magical adhesive mat that can be used instead of the typical messy cement. The cost was similar to pre-mixed cement, so I decided to go with the adhesive mat.
Last Sunday was the big day to install the base tile. My sister, her boyfriend and I got the project done in about 4 hours, then I took them out for dinner at a wonderful local Mexican restaurant, that I think has the best guacamole anywhere.
This week I had some tasks to complete. I had to make a couple adjustments where the tile didn't completely adhere to the mat, and I had to seal the tile. Friday night I set up the tiles that I made, and today I finished the project! I took pictures when the countertop was still clear, but I put all my appliances and stuff back today.

I absolutely love it. I got it done just in time for a cousin invasion next weekend - 7 cousins, three sisters and various boyfriends will be at my house during a local Art Fair. So glad to finish this project, and on to the next one!
Picture and a video here.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 3, 12:55am

Post #18 of 36 (545 views)
Shortcut
Mini-Magnum! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mmm...any to spare? It was hot and humid here today, perfect weather for one!

What all have you been working on, for the knitting?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 3, 1:08am

Post #19 of 36 (541 views)
Shortcut
WOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats on getting it done! And I anticipated correctly: I'd want to spend more time examining that backsplash than cooking or cleaning in front of it. Cool

I'm still amazed you were able to find tiles that had the perfect size shapes for your glass pieces, and which goes so well with the countertop and cabinets. You had several outlets to cut around, was it difficult to work those in?

And how in the world do you fit all those people into your condo! Shocked

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 3, 2:19am

Post #20 of 36 (538 views)
Shortcut
The space around the outlets [In reply to] Can't Post

is definitely not as professional is it could be. There's some gaps that I just left, and in a couple spaces I improvised.
We somehow fit - some of us are sitting on outdoor furniture, but we make it work!

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Jun 3, 8:33am

Post #21 of 36 (529 views)
Shortcut
I tell myself I'm being good, buying the minis - [In reply to] Can't Post

then I eat two. Heigh ho...! Next weekend we have a local community event and our knitters are having a sale of work stall in aid of two local charities. We will also be decorating trees around the Green with tree wraps, bunting, pompoms etc. I started the group but am not a good knitter, so I sew up squares other people have knitted into colourful cosy blankets. As part of a local arts festival a 'Troll Trail' has been organised, and some of the group have knitted creative and entertaining trolls to sit around the local library looking goofy! Not nasty Hobbit-type trolls but quirky, hairy ones. There's a salt dough recipe available so people can create their own small versions too - good fun.https://wirralfestivaloffirsts.org.uk/wirral-troll-trail/

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 3, 1:51pm

Post #22 of 36 (510 views)
Shortcut
Whoa... dentist on Saturday? [In reply to] Can't Post

That doesn't seem right... or fair!!! Oh how I hope it turned out okay! AND I hope you have fun this weekend with the trip you missed.

Good for you to claim some of your time off! My daughter does the same thing, and you guys really need to get away from the daily work routine and remember how to just be you :)

I hope it all goes well and your plans come together easily and quickly!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 3, 2:04pm

Post #23 of 36 (511 views)
Shortcut
Ice Cream! [In reply to] Can't Post

oooooo ICE CREAM! My g'son and I drove to see the Mushroom Houses in the upper part of lower Michigan and then went to Mackinac Island for some Mackinac Fudge Ice Cream! *slaver slurp* I've put on 8 pounds in 3 weeks since his visit started...but I'll deal with that later. The weather turned out to be perfect! So I'll hope the same for your event :)

I'm so glad you've had such a fun week! *toasts Ice Cream* Here's to a great week :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 3, 2:14pm

Post #24 of 36 (508 views)
Shortcut
Oh no... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so very sorry. When our loved ones are in these sad days, it's hard to get our heads around the bitter-sweet struggle. Bitter that this has happened, but sweet that we know they're going to be with those who have gone before and their suffering will be over. I still struggle with that about my Mom; but we all have that chapter in our lives. You're Mom is so special, and you know what's coming... but there's just no way to be "ok" about it. My thoughts and prayers are with your Mom, your family, and especially you. *warm hug* Thank you for sharing this with us. You're not alone...

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 3, 2:20pm

Post #25 of 36 (509 views)
Shortcut
OMG! That's fantastic! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

FIRST, it's fantastic that you've been able to finish the project :D HOW COOL IS THAT!? But to have it result in such a beautiful accomplishment is awesome! It's Stunning!! Having that class meant all the difference, and I'd never heard about an adhesive mat that would certainly simplify the whole thing. And you've fit in your own tiles :D Fabulous!

AWESOME!!! Congratulations! I'll bet you can help but just stand and look at it with a smile on your face :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 3, 2:21pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.