Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another Friday means another Fiesta! Come join us!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 25, 4:05pm

Post #1 of 31 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Another Friday means another Fiesta! Come join us! Can't Post

Hello, everyone, and how are you doing this bright, late-Spring Friday?

This is the 3-day Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S. when local pools open, campgrounds fill up, and summer officially begins. Our deck furniture is in place, and we'll definitely be grilling up a variety of goodies to enjoy over the weekend. How about you? Any fun plans for the weekend? Anything of note happen this past week? The buffet is stocked with various salads (greens, egg and, of course PO-TA-TO), and the margarita and pina colada machines have been fired up. So, grab a fav and let us know how you're doing!

*kicks juke box* "Summer Nights" from Grease starts to play.

Enjoy the weekend, everyone!! CoolHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 25, 4:09pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 4:14pm

Post #2 of 31 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Pina coladas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds good! Bright and sunny here too, with just a touch of rain in the weekend forecast.

We'll be visiting my parents' gravesite this weekend, and meeting up with family we haven't seen for a while. Then the local parade on Monday - always fun! Cool

So what will be on the grill, Altaira? Hamburgers? Steaks? Chicken? Fish? Let me know when the picnic is, I'll bring a jello salad and home-made whoopie pies! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 25, 4:29pm

Post #3 of 31 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Bright and sunny is good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Up to a few nights ago, we had to switch the thermostat to heat at night. Brrr!

Does visiting your parents' gravesite involve a road trip? My parents are buried at one of the local military cemeteries. It will be decked out with little American flags at all the gravesites and will have a flyover by the local Air Force Academy Thunderbirds. I've attended that in the past, but we live a ways away now, so we won't be going this weekend.

We'll definitely grill brats and chicken, and I'd like to try some shrimp too. Jello salad and whoopie pies are always welcome, as are you! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 25, 4:30pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 31 (1196 views)
Shortcut
The Thunderbirds! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only seen videos of their flyovers, they're spectacular!

My parents (and older brother) are buried in a private cemetery in Massachusetts, an hour and a half away, and we'll bring along a fresh flag in case the local Boy Scouts haven't "decorated" the cemetery yet (they do that in our own area). "Decoration Day", the holiday was once called! Smile

Ooh, grilled brats! *calculates driving time between Connecticut and Colorado* Hmm...

Annael
Half-elven

May 25, 4:54pm

Post #5 of 31 (1199 views)
Shortcut
I'll take a margarita [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to go sailing all weekend, but now it looks like a movie weekend - the Seattle International Film Festival is on, and there are at least two movies I want to see - documentaries both, one about Gilda Radner (and the rise of female comedians) and one about Madonna Thunder Hawk and the indigenous activist movement in the U.S.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

cats16
Valinor

May 25, 5:44pm

Post #6 of 31 (1196 views)
Shortcut
June gloom [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Altaira!

The June gloom's already here. Overcast and cool temps the last two weeks (I'm not complaining!). I have today *and* Monday off, which feels amazing.

Might go rollerblading tonight and a party tomorrow. May go on a hike further outside of the city (I think some Sequoias are a couple of hours away). Might go see the Han Solo movie. Everything is tenuous! Laugh For now I'll just veg out.

I finally get to start the job search process again in about two weeks. Hard-fought to get here, but up and onward, I says!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 25, 6:04pm

Post #7 of 31 (1191 views)
Shortcut
*fills up frosty glass* [In reply to] Can't Post

Movies are a good choice any time, IMHO. Smile Those sound like interesting ones, for sure. Enjoy them!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 25, 6:07pm

Post #8 of 31 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Oooh! A four-day weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucky you! It sounds like you have a good list of choices for things to do, the weather is cooperating, and vegging out has already begun. What could be better!
Why are you starting the job search process? Forgive me if I missed something. Whatever the reason - best of luck! Smile

Attalus
Lorien

May 25, 9:02pm

Post #9 of 31 (1176 views)
Shortcut
TGIF [In reply to] Can't Post

I am working on the sauce for rigatoni tonight. I hear we will be going to another party Saturday night. Le sigh. Give me a glass of Chablis and just leave the bottle, please Frown

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 25, 11:09pm

Post #10 of 31 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Something warming, please barkeep! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a white mountain this morning, thanks to a cold front that came up from the south. We also, finally, have blue skies! I've got a load of washing on the line to take advantage of this unexpected good fortune - for the last fortnight we've had electrical storms aplenty, which are lovely to watch at night but a bit rubbish for getting a good night's sleep.

I hope you have great weather for your memorial weekend, US TORnsibs. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 25, 11:11pm

Post #11 of 31 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Um, what's a brat, precious? / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Attalus
Lorien

May 25, 11:38pm

Post #12 of 31 (1154 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

...just speaking for myself, that;s what we call bratwursts, and also spoiled children. And the not so young also. (John McEnroe, you have a call waiting)

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

cats16
Valinor

May 26, 12:33am

Post #13 of 31 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Job search [In reply to] Can't Post

No worries, you haven't missed anything. I've come to the one-year mark on the desk I'm an assistant on, which is the unspoken "okay, you can look for a new job" milestone in the industry. So ideally something much more creative is on its way. Job hunting is a yucky business, but it's for a good reason this time.

Thanks!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 26, 1:39am

Post #14 of 31 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thank you. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

May 26, 7:48am

Post #15 of 31 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Big weekend for Liverpool - [In reply to] Can't Post

the tall ships are in dock, and there will be many entertainments. I've been to several of these events so I'll be staying home and looking after the family dog while daughter and hubby go to London to see one of her favourites - Bjork. the other Grandma is looking after the boys, so a slighlty different weekend for us all! Enjoy yours, however you spend it. I did laugh at the idea of grilling brats...! Ouch...
*Puts 'May Morning' by Runrig's 'In Search of Angels' cd on the juke box*

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26, 12:20pm

Post #16 of 31 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Happy last weekend of May! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll grab a pink lemonade, fersher!

I hope B.G. and you have a fantastic weekend, Altaira! :D You've waited a long time for this special holiday weekend!

My g'son and I are taking it easy this weekend until Memorial Day Monday. We're going to a massive flea market on the other side of the state to enjoy the warm weather and several acres of vendors selling everything from golf-tees to automobiles.

I hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 26, 12:29pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26, 12:28pm

Post #17 of 31 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Have a great weekend, m'dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope the scattered showers hold off for you while visiting your family's graves. Isn't is funny how gatherings are beginning to be arranged with these types of events than just the holidays? ;) It's good to see each other whenever possible.

My siblings, g'son and I met up at our family's ancient, country cemetery last Tuesday on my Dad's 100th b'day... though he passed away in 1977 at the age of 59. It was a 2-hour drive and a chance for many family stories that g'son truely enjoyed. He was nervous about meeting up with Aunts and Uncle he'd only visit a couple of times before... and was so relieved to discover they are great, funny and very close.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26, 12:35pm

Post #18 of 31 (1068 views)
Shortcut
A film festival sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

My best-friend's daughter has worked for Gilda's Club in Grand Rapids, Michigan for the past 4 years and is always so inspired by the work they do. She especially enjoys the annual Gilda's LaughFest.

I hope you have a great holiday weekend! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26, 12:39pm

Post #19 of 31 (1069 views)
Shortcut
I hope the job-hunting is fast and great! [In reply to] Can't Post

AND I hope you have a lot of fun this weekend :D My g'son and I saw Solo on Friday and really enjoyed it. As with most sequels/prequels, it's hard to know how to anticipate or digest these new entries. While we had heard of many so-so responses to film-goers, we found we were well entertained and enjoyed it very much. Some slow spots... but no catastrophes ;) ENJOY your weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26, 12:41pm

Post #20 of 31 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Party time! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you have a great time :) For me, the anticipation and preparation makes it hard to get very enthusiastic to go on trips or parties, but once I get there, it muchly improves.

Have a wonderful weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26, 12:53pm

Post #21 of 31 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Clear skies and sleep-filled nights :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great combo! I hope the weekend stays clear and is very relaxed for you. Winter is trying to move in on you!

*hugs*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26, 12:59pm

Post #22 of 31 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Love the Tall Ships! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Every few years they come and dock in Bay City's fresh-water port of Lake Huron on Michigan's east shore. We go every chance we can... they're so beautiful!

But a nice, quiet weekend sounds like the perfect recipe :) I hope it's very relaxing and fun!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Attalus
Lorien

May 26, 2:36pm

Post #23 of 31 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Every September [In reply to] Can't Post

...we go down to the gf's family seat at New Braunfels/Fredericsburg and the Saturday AM before, we all (those still mobile enough) go out to a certain cemetery and clean the graves of the dear departed. S's favorite, which she always claims the right to clean and furbish (bringing supplies from home) is the resting place of a fellow "foully murdered" says the tombstone "by Confederate fanatics" when he and a friend tried to slip off to Missouri and enlist in the Union army. Me, I just sit on a dove hunting stool and drink beer, giving encouragement as needed. Wink
Edit: Spelling. Curse you, autocorrect

(This post was edited by Attalus on May 26, 2:39pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26, 4:06pm

Post #24 of 31 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Old country cemetery! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are fascinating places! And very "precious", when your own dear ones are buried there.

We've visited many, doing family research, and for friends ("While you're in Nova Scotia, would you mind seeing if you could find my family's..." and of course, it made a lovely side trip).

I'm so glad you were able to all get together! It can be daunting, re-meeting relations one hardly remembers, especially with so much going on in one's own life. What a wonderful "moot"! Heart

cats16
Valinor

May 29, 1:59am

Post #25 of 31 (912 views)
Shortcut
Didn't end up seeing the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

But glad to hear you liked it. And thanks, hope you had a good one too! Find anything good at the flea market?

(This post was edited by cats16 on May 29, 2:00am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.