Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - May 5
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19, 3:32pm

Post #26 of 35 (2094 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler that peeks in on Sam's relatives… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Shadow of the Past: FotR

..."'Queer things you do hear these days, to be sure,' said Sam.
...'Ah,' said Ted, 'you do, if you listen. But I can hear fireside-tales and children's stories at home, if I want to.'
...'No doubt you can,' retorted Sam, 'and I daresay there's more truth in some of them than you reckon. Who invented the stories anyway? Take dragons now... ...what about these Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back.'
...'Who's they?'
..."'My cousin Hal for one. He works for Mr. Boffin at Overhill and goes up to the Northfarthing for the hunting. He saw one.'
...'Says he did, perhaps. Your Hal's always saying that he's seen things; and maybe he sees things that ain't there.'
...'But this one was as big as an elm tree, and walking--walking seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch.'
...'Then I bet it wasn't an inch. What he saw was an elm tree, as like as not.'
...'But this one was walking, I tell you; and there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors... ...you can't deny that others besides our Halfast have seen queer folk crossing the Shire--crossing it, mind you: there are more that are turned back at the borders. The Bounders have never been so busy before.'"

From The Taming of Sméagol: Two Towers

..."To the complete surprise of both the hobbits it came loose. Sam fell over, and the long grey coils slithered silently down on top of him. Frodo laughed. 'Who tied the rope?' he said. 'A good thing it held as long as it did! To think that I trusted all my weight to your knot!'
...Sam did not laugh. 'I may not be much good at climbing, Mr. Frodo,' he said in injured tones, 'but I do know something about rope and about knots. It's in the family, as you might say. Why, my grand-dad, and my uncle Andy after him, him that was the Gaffer's eldest brother, he had a rope-walk over by Tighfield many a year. And I put as fast a hitch over the stump as any one could have done, in the Shire or out of it.'"

From Lothlórien: FotR

..."When this slender bridge had been made, the Company passed over, some cautiously and slowly, others more easily. Of the hobbits... ...Sam shuffled along, clutching hard, and looking down into the pale eddying water as if it was a chasm in the mountains.
...He breathed with relief when he was safely across. 'Live and learn! as my gaffer used to say. Though he was thinking of gardening, not of roosting like a bird, nor of trying to walk like a spider. Not even my uncle Andy ever did a trick like that!'"

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 19, 3:33pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 20, 1:34pm

Post #27 of 35 (2076 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 20, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Passing Weathertop.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."The Company of Hobbit, Wizard, and Dwarves has passed Weathertop as the Road turns more east."

May 20, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Spring at Bag End.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Frodo and Gandalf enjoy a peaceful Spring in Bag End and make plans for the fall as the Conspirators make plans of their own.

May 20, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Minas Tirith.
(not from the appendices)
..."The Hobbits still remained in Minas Tirith, with Legolas and Gimli; for Aragorn was loth for the Fellowship to be dissolved.... ...In those days the Companions of the Ring dwelt together in a fair house with Gandalf, and they went to and fro as they wished."

2. Elrond and Arwen come to Lórien.
(from the appendices-no text)
...[There's nothing in the story or appendices of what occurred to bring Elrond and Arwen to Lothlórien other than to imply they've gone to join with Galadriel and then journey together to Minas Tirith.]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21, 10:50am

Post #28 of 35 (2071 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 21-23, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo and Company continue east.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Far behind, the Weather Hills show less and less. Ahead, company begins to see the tops of the Trollshaws. The road becomes rough."

This is a short entry, so let's take a closer look at this:

...Weather Hills span east of Bree-land and north-west of the Lone-lands (located between Bree-land and the Trollshaws along the Great East Road) in central Eriador. Weathertop, or Amon Sûl, lays at the southern end of the range....When Angmar was formed, the range was fortified (to include Weathertop) by Argeleb I, the seventh king of Dúnedain, in an attempt to return Arnor to its former glory. Once the most regal and prominent feature of the Lone-lands rising above the road, Weathertop was a proud tower of vision and vigilance and the home of the strongest palantír of the north. However, it fell in battle to the Witch-king of Angmar, and has sat derelict in the wild ever since.
... Marks of this fortification still existed in the path of Thorin and Company and when Aragorn led the hobbits from Bree to Rivendell. No other peak in any nearby area matches Weathertop's height. Any traveller is affected by its fashion and power and are moved by its ruin.
... While the Weather Hills are not mentioned by name in Tolkien's works, they are referred to and described, usually in connection with Weathertop.
[Info gleaned from Tolkien Gateway and Lotro-Wiki.com]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22, 11:23am

Post #29 of 35 (2030 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

T'is a Book Spoiler containing some of my favourite Pippin and Sam quotes... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Ring Goes South: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."'Regiments of black crows are flying over all the land between the Mountains and the Greyflood,' [Aragorn] said... '...they have passed over Hollin. They are not natives here; they are crebain out of Fangorn and Dunland. I do not know what they are about; possibly there is some trouble away south from which they are fleeing; but I think they are spying out the land. I have also glimpsed many hawks flying high up in the sky... ...we ought to move again this evening. Hollin is no longer wholesome for us: it is being watched.'
...'And... ...so is the Redhorn Gate,' said Gandalf; 'and how we can get over that without being seen, I cannot imagine... ...As for moving a soon as it is dark, I am afraid that you are right.'
...'Luckily our fire made little smoke, and had burned low before the crebain came,' said Aragorn. 'It must be put out and not lit again.'
...'Well if that isn't a plague and a nuisance!' said Pippin. The news; no fire, and a move again by night, had been broken to him, as soon as he woke... .... 'All because of a pack of crows! I had looked forward to a real good meal tonight; something hot.'
...'Well, you can go on looking forward,' said Gandalf. 'There may be many unexpected feasts ahead for you. For myself I should like a pipe to smoke in comfort, and warmer feet.... ...one thing at any rate: it will get warmer as we get south.'
...'Too warm, I shouldn't wonder,' muttered Sam to Frodo. 'But I'm beginning to think it's time we got a sight of that Fiery Mountain, and saw the end of the Road, so to speak. I thought at first that this here Redhorn... ...might be it, till Gimli spoke his piece. A fair jaw-cracker dwarf-language must be!' Maps conveyed nothing to Sam's mind, and all distances in these strange lands seemed so vast that he was quite out of his reckoning."

Happy 100th b'day Daddy :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 22, 11:26am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23, 11:51am

Post #30 of 35 (2011 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some special BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

May 23, 2000
1. Half-way point of principal photography LotR.
May 23, 2000 was the middle of principal photography for The Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson had special vests made for the crew to wear to earmark the day.

So to celebrate the day in the here and now, here's a special Book Spoiler to look at things in the middle... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.
  1. Right away, we have this place called "Middle-earth". Convenient, eh? :D
  2. The Gaffer is telling a stranger and others: "I saw Mr. Bilbo when he came back, a matter of sixty years ago, when I was a lad... ...while the sale was on. And in the middle of it all Mr. Bilbo comes up the Hill with a pony..."
  3. When Frodo was distributing Bilbo's mathoms: "In the middle of the commotion the Sackville-Bagginses arrived. Frodo had retired for a while... ...When Otho loudly demanded to see Frodo..."
  4. "To Frodo's astonishment and distress the wizard threw it suddenly into the middle of the glowing corner of the fire."
  5. Gildor invites the hobbits to come along: "'You had best walk in the middle so that you may not stray.'"
  6. The hobbits come to Bombadil's: "Nothing could be seen of the house in the dark: it stood back from the lane in the middle of a wide circle of lawn surrounded by a belt of low trees inside the outer hedge."
  7. Nob helps out: "'I've ruffled up the clothes and put a bolster down the middle of each bed.'"
  8. Aragorn finds a beryl: "'I found it in the mud in the middle of the Bridge'"
  9. Bilbo chastises Elrond: "'...you have disturbed me--in the middle of making up a song.'"
  10. Saruman monologues to Gandalf: "'The Elder Days are gone. The Middle Days are passing. The Younger Days are beginning.'"
  11. Gandalf approaches the door of Moria: "He stepped up to the rock again, and lightly touched with his staff the silver star in the middle beneath the sign of the anvil."
  12. Gandalf follows his nose: "'I do not like the feel of the middle way; and I do not like the smell of the left-hand way: there is foul air down there, or I am no guide.'"
  13. "The Balrog reached the bridge. Gandalf stood in the middle of the span, leaning on the staff in his left hand, but in his other hand Glamdring gleamed, cold and white."
  14. "Merry and Pippin in the middle boat were ill at ease, for Boromir sat muttering to himself, sometimes biting his nails..."
  15. "Treebeard lowered himself slowly onto this (with only the slightest sign of bending at his middle)"
  16. "'Isengard is a sort of ring of rocks or hills, I think, with a flat space inside and an island or pillar of rock in the middle, called "Orthanc.'"
  17. "'Now, now!' said Gimli. 'We are beginning the story in the middle. I should like a tale in the right order, starting with that strange day when your fellowship was broken.'"
  18. While Faramir was questioning Frodo: "Sam had been getting more and more impatient and angry at this conversation. These last words were more than he could bear, and bursting into the middle of the ring, he strode up to his master's side."
  19. Faramir speaks to Frodo and Sam: "'For so we reckon Men in our lore, calling them the High, or Men of the West, which were Númenóreans, and the Middle Peoples [Encyclopedia of Arda: Descendants of the Edain], Men of the Twilight, such as are the Rohirrim and their kin that dwell still far in the North; and the Wild, the Men of Darkness... ...We are become Middle Men, of the Twilight.'"
  20. "...the middle door of the Black Gate was thrown open with a great clang, and out of it there came an embassy from the Dark Tower."
  21. "...rage blazed in Sam's heart to a sudden fury. He sprang up, ran, and went up the ladder like a cat. His head came out in the middle of the floor of a large round chamber. A red lamp hung from its roof; the westward window-slit was high and dark. Something was lying on the floor by the wall under the window, but over it a black orc-shape was straddled. It raised a whip a second time, but the blow never fell. With a cry Sam leapt across the floor, Sting in his hand."
  22. "Inside it was filled with a grey dust, soft and fine, in the middle of which was a seed, like a small nut with a silver shale."

And finally:
  1. "'You tried to give us the slip once before and failed, Frodo,' he said. 'This time you have nearly succeeded, but you have failed again. It was not Sam, though, that gave you away this time, but Gandalf himself!'
    ...'Yes,' said Gandalf; 'for it will be better to ride back three together than one alone. Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.'
    ...Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all Sam, and went aboard; and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 23, 11:52am)

hanne
Lorien

May 23, 6:49pm

Post #31 of 35 (1990 views)
Shortcut
Myths and middles... [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting collection gramma!

In the Old Norse mythology, Midgard was between the worlds of ice and fire, the primordial forces (in my head, I always translate ice and fire as matter and energy). So I think it is very much linked with the idea of balance, of seeing the world two ways, or seeing things behind the obvious.

So I like the way Tolkien uses the term to describe bridging, connections...the stories he was creating to link the fantastic otherworldly tales of Elves and Valar to the down-to-earth experience of Men. Past to present. Imagination and fact. Numinous and mundane...we need both...

Saruman monologues to Gandalf: "'The Elder Days are gone. The Middle Days are passing. The Younger Days are beginning.'"

Faramir speaks to Frodo and Sam: "'For so we reckon Men in our lore, calling them the High, or Men of the West, which were Númenóreans, and the Middle Peoples [Encyclopedia of Arda: Descendants of the Edain], Men of the Twilight, such as are the Rohirrim and their kin that dwell still far in the North; and the Wild, the Men of Darkness... ...We are become Middle Men, of the Twilight.'"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 24, 11:07am

Post #32 of 35 (1937 views)
Shortcut
It's time for more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This Book Spoiler tells of a rescue in Angband... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of Beren and Lúthien: The Silmarillion

..."Beren lay in a swoon within the perilous Gate, and death drew nigh him for there was venom on the fangs of the wolf. Lúthien with her lips drew out the venom... ....she put forth her failing power to staunch the hideous wound. But behind her in the depths of Angband the rumour grew of great wrath aroused. The host of Morgoth were awakened.
...Thus the quest of the Silmaril was like to have ended in ruin and despair; but in that hour above... ...the valley three mighty birds appeared, flying northward with wings swifter than the wind. Among all birds and beasts the wandering and need of Beren had been noised, and Huan himself had bidden all things watch, that they might bring him aid. High above the realm of Morgoth Thorondor and his vassals soare... ...seeing now the madness of the Wolf and Beren's fall they came swiftly down, even as the powers of Angband were released from the toils of sleep.
...Then they lifted up Lúthien and Beren from the earth, and bore them aloft into the clouds. Below them suddenly thunder rolled, lightnings leaped upward... ...the mountains quaked. Fire and smoke belched forth from Thangorodrim, and flaming bolts were hurled far abroad, falling ruinous upon the lands; and the Noldor in Hithlum trembled. But Thorondor took his way far above the earth, seeking the high roads of heaven, where the sun daylong shines unveiled and the moon walks amid the cloudless stars."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 24, 11:30am

Post #33 of 35 (1938 views)
Shortcut
Between = Balance [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully! :D Wonderful points!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25, 2:40pm

Post #34 of 35 (1910 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler of a Book-To-Film Event with a DOS comparison. Bilbo barely escapes Smaug warning of impending doom... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Inside Information: The Hobbit

... "The afternoon was turning into evening when he came out again and stumbled and fell in a faint on the 'door-step.' The dwarves revived him, and doctored his scorches as well as they could; but it was a long time before the hair on the back of his head and his heels grew properly again... ...In the meanwhile... ...were eager for his story, especially wanting to know why the dragon had made such an awful noise, and how Bilbo had escaped.
... But the hobbit was worried and uncomfortable, and they had difficulty in getting anything out of him. On thinking things over he was now regretting some of the things he had said to the dragon... ...The old thrush was sitting on a rock near by with his head cocked on one side, listening to all that was said....
... "...Drat the bird!" said Bilbo crossly. "I believe he is listening, and I don't like the look of him."
... "Leave him alone!" said Thorin. "The thrushes are good and friendly... ...They were a long-lived and magical race, and this might even be one of those that were alive then... ...The Men of Dale used to have the trick of understanding their language, and used them for messengers to fly to the Men of the Lake and elsewhere."
... "Well, he'll have news to take to Lake-town all right, if that is what he is after," said Bilbo...
... '...Why what has happened?" cried the dwarves. "Do get on with your tale!"
... So Bilbo told them all he could remember, and he confessed that he had a nasty feeling that the dragon guessed too much from his riddles... "...I am sure he knows we came from Lake-town and had help from there; and I have a horrible feeling that his next move may be in that direction. I wish to goodness I had never said that about Barrel-rider; it would make even a blind rabbit in these parts think of the Lake-men."
... 'Well, well! It cannot be helped, and it is difficult not to slip in talking to a dragon, or so I have always hea," said Balin anxious to comfort him. "I think you did very well... ...you found out one very useful thing at any rate, and got home alive... ...and a blessing yet to know of the bare patch in the old Worm's diamond waistcoat.""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26, 12:11pm

Post #35 of 35 (1822 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler about poor Bilbo all by his onezies... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire: The Hobbit

..."Bilbo had escaped the goblins, but he did not know where he was. He had lost hood, cloak, food, pony, his buttons and his friends. He wandered on and on, till the sun began to sink westwards—behind the mountains. Their shadows fell across Bilbo's path, and he looked back. Then he looked forward and could see before him only ridges and slopes falling towards lowlands and plains….
..."…Good heavens!" he exclaimed. "I seem to have got right to the other side of the Misty Mountains, right to the edge of the Land Beyond! Where and O where can Gandalf and the dwarves have got to? I only hope to goodness they are not still back there in the power of the goblins!"
...He still wandered on, out of the little high valley… …and down the slopes beyond; but all the while a very uncomfortable thought was growing inside him. He wondered whether he ought not, now he had the magic ring, to go back into the horrible, horrible, tunnels and look for his friends. He had just made up his mind that it was his duty, that he must turn back—and very miserable he felt about it—when he heard voices."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.