Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Watching Thread: "Are we brothers, Francis? I would like that very much."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 13, 5:16pm

Post #1 of 13 (829 views)
Shortcut
The Watching Thread: "Are we brothers, Francis? I would like that very much." Can't Post

This has been a week of catching up on many shows I've missed, or been lax about keeping up to date on.

I binged the entire season of Agents of Shield, which for some reason I had only caught the Season Premiere of back late last year. I didn't fall behind on purpose, mind you, but just missed a couple weeks, and then the episodes started building up, and before I knew it....yeah. Tongue But I'm all caught up now (just in time for the finale next week), and have enjoyed the season mightily.

I also binged the AMC series The Terror, which I'm loving. What a great cast! I love seeing Tobias Menzies getting so many roles the past couple years. I remember back after he played Brutus in Rome, I kept singing his praises, but he only seemed to be getting bit parts in the occasional film. But over the past few years, he's had great parts in Game of Thrones, Outlander and now this (he's also going to be in the upcoming season(s) of The Crown).

Speaking of The Crown, I finally dipped into that series last night, watching the first episode. I was very happy to see Jared Harris (who actually stars in "The Terror", along with Menzies) in the role of King George. He's simply amazing, and I'm happy to see that he's getting lots of work (he was one of my very favorites on "Mad Men"). I would be surprised if I don't tear through this series in a matter of days - it's quite wonderful.

What are you watching?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on May 13, 5:18pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

May 13, 8:09pm

Post #2 of 13 (746 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't agree more [In reply to] Can't Post

about The Terror. I fear that the heartwarming scene your subject opener references is going to be badly needed, because things are going to go south very quickly now.

In addition to Menzies, who is very good indeed, my Dad joked that the Polar Bear is also getting more work since it's cameo in "Lost" as well. Unfortunately, I think it seems to be heading towards getting trapped in typecasting :-).

I was lucky enough to see part of Alaska last year (landed in Anchorage and took the Denali Star to Denali for 3 days for the park's 100th anniversary). From my short stay, I would say it takes a certain type of person to live there. I would not want to be there during winter, and don't know if I'd want to go further north than Denali. The remoteness, even in Anchorage, made me wonder what folks who don't live in major cities do about medical emergencies. I live in New York, so I'm used to being able to get help quickly.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15, 10:13am

Post #3 of 13 (716 views)
Shortcut
I've just finished both series of The Crown [In reply to] Can't Post

All the hype was actually deserved - a superb cast and I found myself doing additional internet research on events after watching each episode to find out how historically accurate it was. Turns out my knowledge of the modern history of my own country is poor.

I think the show does a particularly good job with Princess Margaret, who frankly had a rotten deal. Vanessa Kirby is brilliant.

Storm clouds

Meneldor
Valinor

May 15, 5:31pm

Post #4 of 13 (696 views)
Shortcut
Pilgrimage [In reply to] Can't Post

(2016) Medieval Irish monks are tasked to deliver a relic to Rome for the crusades, and they don't get far before trouble starts. Lots of unsubtitled dialog in Gaelic and French, but I managed to follow the story by context, so I was OK with that. Action scenes were appropriately brutal with enough gore to make the message clear. Tom Holland and Richard Armitage starred.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Annael
Half-elven

May 16, 3:40pm

Post #5 of 13 (671 views)
Shortcut
we're partway through the second season [In reply to] Can't Post

and I agree - I've done internet research after each show to find out more about the events. SUPERB cast, and I agree that Margaret got a rotten deal. (Why didn't Elizabeth just say "as the Queen I have to forbid you to marry him, but as your sister, I say, do it, be happy, and even though officially you won't be part of the family, I'll always love you and hope that the church softens its attitude in time - you have my private blessing.").

Which it did. Interesting how the issue of divorce haunted the royals for a century but no one seems at all bothered that Harry's marrying a divorcee. And one must remember that Elizabeth was still very young & new to the job at the time.

One thing that I hadn't realized - odd, considering it's the main reason why my ancestors took ship from England in the first place - is what a stranglehold the Church of England had on the country. The emphasis on the idea that the King or Queen didn't inherit their power from their forebears but were anointed by God and owed their first allegiance to God & the Church surprised me. Although many here believe something similar about our president, which now puts the fuss over JFK being a Catholic (I was very young at the time and didn't understand) in context.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on May 16, 3:41pm)

Annael
Half-elven

May 16, 3:59pm

Post #6 of 13 (668 views)
Shortcut
Also watching The Terror [In reply to] Can't Post

a couple of episodes behind.

NCIS: goodbye to Abby, hello to Kasey. I think they're handling the transition from an iconic character to her replacement quite well. Jimmy's moment to shine last night was so satisfying too - has Torres found his new bro on the team? Sadly, Pauley Perrette's new allegations of harassment have me wondering "was it him? Was it HIM?" I'm hoping it turns out to be someone behind the camera, not in front, which is kind of selfish I suppose.

Big Bang Theory: the big wedding, filled with moments of delight (casting Amy's parents, Stuart has HIS moment to shine, assymetry! - and of course, the upgrade in officiant ("Seems kind of lateral to me").

Legion: just gets weirder and weirder, and I'm not sure I like the direction (not another "end of the world" scenario - seriously?).

Major League Baseball: my team's doing quite well - so well it seems opposing teams are now directing their pitchers to HIT our players; we've lost our big star first to a broken hand from a bad pitch (but sadly now to an 80-game suspension for taking a prescription drug that's on the naughty list) and last night we lost another star when he got hit on the foot. Fortunately nothing broken there. But we have a crop of new young hot guys with heavy bats and our former phenom pitcher is being outshone by the Big Maple (James Paxton) who pitched a complete no-hitter game the other day. So we're hopeful.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 17, 3:32pm

Post #7 of 13 (646 views)
Shortcut
From Netflix: “Rain” and “The New Legends of Monkey” [In reply to] Can't Post

“Rain” is a Danish post-apocalyptic series, where a disease literally rains down on people and they die pretty soon. Survivors have to scavenge and seek shelter every time it rains again.

I gave it a try, and maybe Danish actors are stoic, or maybe these actors were just too wooden for me, but I never got attached to anyone. I skimmed all the episodes to see how it turned out, and was glad I skimmed. There’s also a lot of bad writing, where there can be 8 people in a room, with 7 of them convincing one person to go with them, and all 7 will say, “Come, Jean, come.” That stands out more since I watched it w/ subtitles, and it shows how lame most of the dialogue is.

MONKEY: I knew nothing about the original and binge-watched it. It’s a semi-kidsy, light-hearted story about gods vs demons where nothing too terrible happens and some of the jokes are good. I liked the quirky characters. I would recommend it if you keep your expectations low. (It was only later in reading reviews that I learned about the original and controversy over white-washing the remake, etc. Since I didn’t take it too seriously, I didn’t take the controversy seriously either.)

Attalus
Lorien

May 17, 6:52pm

Post #8 of 13 (627 views)
Shortcut
How adventuresome [In reply to] Can't Post

...you all are. Me, I just get broadcast TV and don't watch that, so we mostly use Netflix. We've been re-re-watching Angel, (my gf is a David Boreanaz fan) and it is pretty good.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 17, 9:26pm

Post #9 of 13 (618 views)
Shortcut
Deadpool 2 - 3/5 [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit that I prefer the first film with its sharper pacing and storytelling, but the sequel has plenty of laughs to go around. As always, Josh Brolin is beyond superb at giving depth to a bad guy - he and Zazie Beets (Domino) are stand-outs, while Julian Dennison (Firefist) occasionally wears his character's vulnerability like an open wound.

I've seen plenty of reviewers raving about the post-credits scene and I agree. It has to be...

*spoiler alert - you've been warned*
...the biggest troll in moviedom in recent times. How every Deadpool. Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 22, 9:09pm

Post #10 of 13 (519 views)
Shortcut
“Cargo” with Martin Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

I like him a lot as an actor and looked forward to this movie. I knew nothing about it, but thought about 1/2-way through, “This should be a short movie; it’s bursting with filler.” Later I learned it originated as a short, so for once my instincts were right.

My rating would just be “ho-hum” overall. There were good points and bad points to it. It seemed with a few changes, it could have been a lot better.

Maciliel
Valinor

May 28, 10:33pm

Post #11 of 13 (399 views)
Shortcut
i saw the original short, originally [In reply to] Can't Post

i saw the original short, originally. and thought it would make a good film.

didn't know this effort was based on it, but as i watched it, i saw clear parallels, and thought that it must have had its genesis with the short.

SPOILER BELOW

i had a "groan" moment when freeman's character didn't warn his wife that there was an undead thing in the boat. thought that was a bad move. i suppose it was believable in that he would have to be going back there, and perhaps didn't want his wife to worry. but seemed like a really dumb move.

freeman excels in roles like this. he has so much range. love watching him go through his paces.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 28, 11:56pm

Post #12 of 13 (394 views)
Shortcut
I groaned groaningly (*spoilers*) [In reply to] Can't Post

Too many dumb moments to list, and I've rather forgotten the movie on purpose by now. One thing I do retain is how the geography never worked: leaving the houseboat on foot, getting in a car, driving across the middle of nowhere at high speed, later walking manfully across the great desert in an epic march of survival, etc. Then when he needs to get back to the houseboat (on foot), he's able to in what looked like a few hours rather than days. It was like the whole movie took place in a big parking lot.

On the plus side, I liked the originality of the Vic character. Usually in post-apocalyptic shows, the bad people do bad things because survival forces them to, so they have a moral excuse of sorts. Vic did very bad things based on pure greed (and some stupid idea that the economy was going to come back from disaster and he'd be rich). OK, that's not totally original, because the classic Alas, Bablyon had people stockpiling gold in a post-nuclear US, but still, it doesn't come up that often as a character motivation. Usually people do bad things out of hunger/thirst, or because they need some scarce resource like medicine, or they're scared of everyone and shoot strangers first, or whatever.

Maciliel
Valinor

May 29, 1:02am

Post #13 of 13 (388 views)
Shortcut
groaningly (cargo spoilers within) [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, from the beginning, i never understood why freeman's character was campaigning to get off the boat to some hospital who knows where. seems like they had a more secure place (not super-secure, but more secure) being on the boat, foraging on the shore, returning to the boat, etc.). i suspect sooner or later they'd meet up with nefarious folks, but...

well, i'm certainly glad i'm not in that position, and with people judging my every move. "why did she pet that dog?" "it's useless for her to carry around that copy of lord of the rings if she's not going to use it for kindling...."

i think there are vics aplenty in chaos situations that aren't going to get better for years or ever. i see them all over the place at the moment. ("i see vic people...")

i've actually seen a few films via amazon / netflix recently that i thought were worthwhile. i'll compile the list and share (feel like i might have done so before...)

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.