The Hobbit "Read-through", anyone?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

May 14 2018, 4:04pm

Post #26 of 45 (3164 views)
Shortcut
Great, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like following the read-throughs. I'll be around for it!

Roverandom
Bree

May 17 2018, 12:21am

Post #27 of 45 (3134 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Read-Through [In reply to] Can't Post

A long-time silent observer in the Reading Room, I've finally decided to take the plunge and join the Membership of the Ring. Please excuse any rookie mistakes, but I would like to try leading a chapter discussion on this read through. If there are no objections, you can put me down for "Queer Lodgings".

For just as there has always been a Richard Webster, so too has there been a Black Scout of the North to greet him at the door on the sill of the evening and to guard him through his darkest dreams.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 17 2018, 2:44am

Post #28 of 45 (3116 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, Roverandom! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good on you for joining in. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Half-elven

May 17 2018, 4:00am

Post #29 of 45 (3110 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Roverandom! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 17 2018, 10:33am

Post #30 of 45 (3092 views)
Shortcut
Roverandom has "Queer Lodgings" (the chapter I mean ;) ) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks very much, Roverandom, and welcome to the Reading Room.

If we hold to schedule, you'll need to post your introduction on 1 July.

I don't think anyone need worry about 'rookie mistakes'. The Introducer's job is to start off the week's discussion in some way or another. So short of something that's obviously unhelpful - like posting about an entirely different chapter, or forgetting to do anything at all - it's difficult to get that bit wrong.

Otherwise, it is down to the Introducer to start a discussion and do so in the way they want to. Some folks very obviously spend a lot of time thinking about and researching things, and produce long and learned introductions. But that's because they enjoy doing things that way - certainly it is not compulsory!

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 17 2018, 3:08pm

Post #31 of 45 (3062 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Roverandom! // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 17 2018, 3:13pm

Post #32 of 45 (3073 views)
Shortcut
Rookie mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the only “mistake” is when people make flat statements that don’t encourage others to respond. (And it’s very rare.) But if someone were to say, “This chapter is about Beorn,” and leave it at that, we readers would struggle to figure out how to reply.

It’s easily remedied by a question and an opinion, or even stating you have no opinion, such as, “This chapter is about Beorn. I never know what to think of him—what do you all think?”

Just dashing that off as a crude example.

Otherwise, I’d say find a style that works for you, and don’t worry about mistakes. We have moderators here to keep away trolls.

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 17 2018, 5:59pm

Post #33 of 45 (3071 views)
Shortcut
Flat statements and opinions [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's good advice - in fact I just revised the draft of my post for Sunday to make the questions more explicit :)

I wonder whether people sometimes stick to flat statements because they are nervous of venturing an opinion? I would like to think that nobody needs worry about that. I've found though, that it seems to work better if I include lots of 'in my opinion' and 'my reading is' and 'I think'. That is, I try not to write my opinions as flat statements. Perhaps that makes it clearer that I'm not claiming something is an incontestable fact - which, oddly enough, is something that seems to make people want to contest it right away! Maybe it is the tone as much as anything - for example:

"I find Beorn's talking, table-setting dogs a bit silly and out of place; is there anyone who likes them and would care to explain why?"

...states an opinion very clearly, yet (I think) sounds friendly and open for discussion. (In fact, it goes on to request discussion).

contrast:

"The talking, table-setting dogs are silly, and Tolkien shouldn't have included them."

...which I think invites an answer in a similar tone; one that may feel like a harder tackle.

(There's got to be a joke there about being 'dogmatic', but let's just take that as read :) )

~~~~~~
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

(This post was edited by noWizardme on May 17 2018, 6:09pm)

Petty Dwarf
Bree

May 17 2018, 6:29pm

Post #34 of 45 (3049 views)
Shortcut
Put me down for "The Clouds Burst" [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to try leading a discussion, and one of the last chapters would give me some time to observe and get the hang of how it works.

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 17 2018, 6:38pm

Post #35 of 45 (3046 views)
Shortcut
"The Clouds Burst" goes to Petty Dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! If things go to schedule that will mean posting your introduction on 9 September.

~~~~~~

Petty Dwarf
Bree

May 17 2018, 6:41pm

Post #36 of 45 (3041 views)
Shortcut
I'll put it on the calendar! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 17 2018, 11:15pm

Post #37 of 45 (3024 views)
Shortcut
“Dogmatic?” Oh, that made my stomach hurt from laughing. Where’s a lawyer when I need one? // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 18 2018, 9:29am

Post #38 of 45 (2982 views)
Shortcut
I would pony up some more Beorn puns... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but now I'm not sure whether you can bear them.

And anyway, if I come up with enough Hobbit puns to dwarf all previous efforts, there's a danger that I might become a little smaug.

~~~~~~

sador
Half-elven

May 18 2018, 12:08pm

Post #39 of 45 (2969 views)
Shortcut
Just call it a dog and pony show. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 19 2018, 3:17pm

Post #40 of 45 (2944 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit puns? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the ring of that and am gobblin' them up. They bring a smial to the room, though you must admit some are shyer than others about making them.

hanne
Lorien

May 21 2018, 10:10pm

Post #41 of 45 (2913 views)
Shortcut
Ow...hee hee hee hee :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Valinor

May 28 2018, 10:35pm

Post #42 of 45 (2810 views)
Shortcut
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

(and thank you :) )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 29 2018, 6:29am

Post #43 of 45 (2800 views)
Shortcut
And welcome back to the Reading Room! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

joec_34
Rivendell

Jun 27 2018, 5:41pm

Post #44 of 45 (2198 views)
Shortcut
Expectations of researching the last read-through? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good Day,
This will be my first read-through here, (yay!) I am curious if it is expected that I should search the last read-through for answers to questions that I might propose? It seems that we are informal and would likely tolerate discussion repeated from the last read, but I don't want to be bothersome either. Is there a general standard here? Thanks for the thoughts.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 27 2018, 5:52pm

Post #45 of 45 (2193 views)
Shortcut
Reading old read-throughs is certainly not compulsory [In reply to] Can't Post

The last Hobbit read-though was quite a long time ago, and so it won't annoy anyone if you happen to ask a question that was asked last time. Most likely, if you are wondering about that, then so are other people.

Some longer-standing contributors do refer back to these old read-throughs, and that's OK too. There is a lot of good stuff there.

~~~~~~

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.