Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
How do you reread?

Erethen
The Shire

May 7, 12:52pm

Post #1 of 8 (1889 views)
Shortcut
How do you reread? Can't Post

Ive been thinking about rereading Tolkien and I was wondering how you guys did it? Do you just do one book? The entire LOTR trilogy? Hobbit+LOTR? Silmarillion too?

noWizardme
Valinor

May 7, 5:24pm

Post #2 of 8 (1843 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the Reading Room, Erethen! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect there is no one right answer - you can do what you think will be most entertaining for you. I think they can be seen as free-standing stories rather than a book series.

I have just proposed a 'read through' of The Hobbit (in which we read a chapter a week together, and discuss - see http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=944603#944603 ). I've found that a great way to benefit from all the things that other people know/notice. So that might be a factor in your decision.

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 8, 8:44pm

Post #3 of 8 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Im a browser [In reply to] Can't Post

So I go back and re-read my favorite parts, which sometimes leads to reading several chapters, or maybe just one. (And my favorites can shift a little over the years.)

And welcome to the Reading Room, Erethen!

noWizardme
Valinor

May 9, 8:48am

Post #4 of 8 (1777 views)
Shortcut
Wow, these AI programs are getting convincing then! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd always assumed you were a person (not a browser) CuriousG! Alan Turning wins his 'imitation game', then*.Wink

My Toliien-reading process has varied.

At first (aged maybe 11 and for a few years after) I read The Hobbit and LOTR like this:
(The image that follows is an animated gif of a boy taking up a cycle of contorted positions in and across an armchair, while he is totally lost in his reading. The images are by the cartoonist Gluyas Williams, and the animated GIF is the work of 'boristhebelligerant' http://boristhebelligerent.tumblr.com/post/17873731324 )

I recall keeping that up for hours, so that on one occasion reading about the Uruk-hai forced-arching across Rohan turned my hands (appropriately, perhaps) into useless claws....

I went through a browsing phase, and a read-through phase. These days my bookmark slowly advances through LOTR then cycles back.

--
*Alan Turning proposed that if, after as reasonable time, you couldn't tell whether you were communicating with a human or a computer, you ought to call the computer intelligent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 10, 10:54pm

Post #5 of 8 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Just call me Chrome. // [In reply to] Can't Post

uncle Iorlas
Rivendell

May 11, 2:28am

Post #6 of 8 (1687 views)
Shortcut
with unruly children [In reply to] Can't Post

I am currently bookmarked in four different places in LOTR with three different kids. This has made for some jarring juxtapositions at times; at one point I killed Gandalf with my seven-year-old and Frodo with my eleven-year-old in the same night (the younger still seems to believe she has been given accidental advance warning of Frodo's death). On an earlier night, same two kids, I got to end two chapters with a pair of Frodo's best moments: breaking the silence at the end of Elrond's council, and exhaustedly confessing his errand to Faramir. That was a good night.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 11, 5:30pm

Post #7 of 8 (1643 views)
Shortcut
I go "I need to look that up". [In reply to] Can't Post

Then the next thing I know I'm re-reading the whole dang thing!

Tolkien is insidious.

Did you say 'You Shall Not Pass' or 'You Shall Not Sass'?" asked the Balrog.

"I said 'You Shall Not Pass,' replied Gandalf; "and I wish you wouldn't keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly: you make one quite giddy."

"All right," said the Balrog; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of its wings, and ending with its shadow, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

'Well! I've often seen wings without a Balrog,' thought Gandalf; `but a Balrog without wings! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!

-The Adventures of Gandalf in Middle-earth Land

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 14, 5:53pm

Post #8 of 8 (1482 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien is like an addictive drug. [In reply to] Can't Post

There should be laws restricting usage of him.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.