Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you know a second (or third, etc) language?
Poll: Do you know a second (or third, etc) language?
Yes, I'm fluent in more than one language.
Sort of - enough to get myself in trouble.
Sort of - I can make myself understood.
Not really - I know a few phrases but that's it.
No - I'm still getting the hang of my first language.
Does Klingon or High Valyrian count?
Other
View Results (43 votes)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 6 2018, 10:35pm

Post #1 of 14 (4797 views)
Shortcut
Do you know a second (or third, etc) language? Can't Post

Today is sign language week in NZ (one of three official languages in NZ), which made me wonder how many polyglots we have on the boards. Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 7 2018, 12:36am

Post #2 of 14 (4731 views)
Shortcut
Non-fluent in two languages [In reply to] Can't Post

I've forgotten most of my two years of high-school Spanish. Also I know a few (spoken) phrases of Japanese and can recognize a handful of kanji.

Attalus
Lorien

May 7 2018, 12:51am

Post #3 of 14 (4729 views)
Shortcut
I speak a little German [In reply to] Can't Post

My gf is the real polyglot, though. She speaks French like a Parisian (I am told. I wouldn't know myself) and Spanish like a Mexican because she grew up next to a immigrant Mexican family.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

May 7 2018, 1:23pm

Post #4 of 14 (4691 views)
Shortcut
Less and less as the years go by [In reply to] Can't Post

A little French that I learned in school, but never used; a little Spanish, enough to get me a cervesa or mas; bits of Swahili, mostly nouns, from time spent in Africa when I was a teen. My English is pretty good though!

Darkstone
Immortal

May 7 2018, 5:56pm

Post #5 of 14 (4686 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Primary language is Texan. (On a good day I can squeeze four syllables out of the word “red”.)

Secondary language is English.

Wifey and I and some friends sometimes converse in Latin just for fun.

I can (or used to) speak French and German well enough to get mistaken not for a native, but at least for a non-American. (I could recite The Jabberwocky in French or German which had people in stitches. Whether it was because of the poem or my pronunciation is another story.)

Also a bit of Vietnamese and Thai but that was way back in the 70s.

In high school belonged to a Tolkien club where we only spoke Sindarin during the socializing part of the meetings.

I also remember an Esperanto club but not much.

I know enough Hebrew and Koine Greek for Bible studies.

My recent attempts to learn Classical Arabic and Modern Japanese were both abject failures.

So 2.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 9 2018, 9:20pm

Post #6 of 14 (4487 views)
Shortcut
I read better than I speak or listen [In reply to] Can't Post

in fact, I read "El Senor de los Anillos" (LotR in Spanish) at the height of the movie madness about 15 years ago. I also read "El Hobbit". It was interesting because it was Castillian Spanish, not the Mexican Spanish I had studied. Strider (Trancos) was so sexy in Spanish!

Annael
Immortal

May 10 2018, 3:38pm

Post #7 of 14 (4461 views)
Shortcut
sort of [In reply to] Can't Post

at one point I was fluent in French, even dreamt in it, and I usually understand when people speak it; sometimes I still think in it. Have been planning to get Duolingo and brush up on it again as I think it would come back toute suite.

I've also studied German and Italian for one year each; I've forgotten most of what I learned, but it's been helpful in my singing as we sing a lot in both languages (as well as Latin, which I know nothing about except that people fight a lot over how it's pronounced, as no one actually knows).

Attalus
Lorien

May 10 2018, 10:32pm

Post #8 of 14 (4446 views)
Shortcut
I love it when in [In reply to] Can't Post

Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin novels, they get to criticize one another's Latin pronunciation. Stephen, as usual, is insufferable about things like that: "barbaric English way of Latin pronunciation." I hasten to add that Jack is a total monoglot who thinks adding "a" to English words makes them intelligible Spanish.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 13 2018, 6:01pm

Post #9 of 14 (4201 views)
Shortcut
we need that here [In reply to] Can't Post

in the US.

I learned a tiny bit from some neighbors, but they are now far away in KY and I've lost the language. Memorable moment: at a fast food place with some of the family outside, signing through the windows about what they wanted to order...

Should be taught in all schools.

I discovered it was easier to remember certain things if I Signed them. A physical movement connected to an idea makes it easier to remember.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 13 2018, 6:58pm

Post #10 of 14 (4194 views)
Shortcut
That's an interesting tip. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I discovered it was easier to remember certain things if I Signed them. A physical movement connected to an idea makes it easier to remember.

Perhaps then I'd remember whether I'd locked the door or not on the way to work.

Attalus
Lorien

May 15 2018, 5:34am

Post #11 of 14 (4057 views)
Shortcut
Or.. [In reply to] Can't Post

turned off the darned stove!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 16 2018, 7:59pm

Post #12 of 14 (3974 views)
Shortcut
I cannot tell you... [In reply to] Can't Post

how many times I have turned around a mile down the road...

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Apr 5 2019, 10:49pm

Post #13 of 14 (816 views)
Shortcut
well......kinda? [In reply to] Can't Post

i am in the process of learning korean but as of yet my vocabulary is pretty limited

i know just enough french to get myself in trouble as a consequence of mandatory middle school classes (hurrah for having two official languages but only really learning one of them)

i tried teaching myself greek for a bit but never really got farther than the alphabet

aaand there is the language(s) my sister and i have invented. does being semi-fluent in a language exactly one other person has any comprehension of count?

oh! upon reading through the other posts i remembered that i had forgotten to add that i know the asl finger-spelling alphabet and a small smattering of other signs. not enough to be remotely fluent but i could eventually make myself understood

(This post was edited by sparrowruth on Apr 5 2019, 10:53pm)

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 30 2020, 1:10pm

Post #14 of 14 (362 views)
Shortcut
several [In reply to] Can't Post

grew up with both swedish and german.
am rather fluent in English.

Did study french in College - but have forgotten lots ...

Did take a course on Quenya in our Stockholm Tolkien Society ;O

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.