Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Ian Nathan book about LOTR & TH Movies: Anything You Can Imagine

Silmaril
Rohan

May 5, 12:15pm

Post #1 of 17 (8628 views)
Shortcut
Ian Nathan book about LOTR & TH Movies: Anything You Can Imagine Can't Post

Did anyone already read the book? This review sounds awesome.

A terrific read, stuffed with interesting information and fun quotes from the people behind the LOTR movies. Even as a devotee of these movies, there was plenty I didn't know. And it's written in a witty, breezy style that makes it very hard to put down. Highly recommended.

Amazon uk review
https://www.amazon.co.uk/...g_btm_2?pageNumber=2

(This post was edited by Silmaril on May 5, 12:17pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 5, 11:06pm

Post #2 of 17 (8552 views)
Shortcut
I have it on order :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not due for release in the U.S. until OCTOBER!! *chin quivers* Such a long wait... :(

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Silmaril
Rohan

May 6, 5:29am

Post #3 of 17 (8528 views)
Shortcut
I will get mine tomorrow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for your long wait. Strange.

Starling
Half-elven

May 7, 8:09am

Post #4 of 17 (8410 views)
Shortcut
While you are waiting, Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

The author was interviewed on RNZ yesterday. I really enjoyed listening to him chatting with the lovely Wallace.

Here is the link.

Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 7, 7:42pm

Post #5 of 17 (8378 views)
Shortcut
Argh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having trouble getting it to load (or other versions I've hunted down) on my computer! I'm visiting my daughter later and will get into her newer computer :) THANKS! I can't wait to see what they have to say! *twitch*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Starling
Half-elven

May 8, 9:09am

Post #6 of 17 (8355 views)
Shortcut
Oh darn [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you get to hear it. x

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

May 8, 11:28am

Post #7 of 17 (8345 views)
Shortcut
Amazon.uk [In reply to] Can't Post

You could buy it from the UK shop today and have it arrive as early as this month. Might end up doing that myself, I'm excited by the prospect of a full-on account.

(This post was edited by skyofcoffeebeans on May 8, 11:30am)

Lindele
Gondor

May 8, 8:00pm

Post #8 of 17 (8318 views)
Shortcut
That's what I did [In reply to] Can't Post

with shipping it ended up being $30...a couple dollars more than waiting until October. I should have it in the next week or so.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

May 9, 12:48pm

Post #9 of 17 (8237 views)
Shortcut
Ebook [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew impatient and grabbed the ebook- CANNOT stop reading. Tons of small nuggets- some details on the original 4 hr rough cut of Fellowship, Jackson’s thoughts on snubbing a meeting with Bakshi, the dinner with Townsend that led to his firing- this book is meticulous. LOTS of stuff on the original dynamic with Weinstein and the two-film scripts that were written at Miramax.

Silmaril
Rohan

May 14, 7:00am

Post #10 of 17 (8119 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's really an exciting read! [In reply to] Can't Post

Highly recommended to everyone who's interested in the making of LOTR.

(This post was edited by Silmaril on May 14, 7:01am)

Ferder
The Shire

May 14, 5:10pm

Post #11 of 17 (8100 views)
Shortcut
Wish there was more on The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of great details on the making of LOTR. Even though most of the broad strokes of the story have been explained on the Appendices and the book "The Frodo Franchise", the author goes really in depth to get lots of specific details and quotes from everyone involved. The only complaint is that he goes considerably less in depth about the making of The Hobbit. I have a feeling that not enough time has passed yet for people to be truly forthcoming about what actually happened behind the scenes of those films (besides what we saw in the Hobbit Appendices) and Ian Nathan doesn't want to make an unfounded guesses.

Silmaril
Rohan

May 14, 6:56pm

Post #12 of 17 (8085 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes there's not that much on it but some points are interesting nonetheless. Warner is not New Line...Maybe later with GDT...

(This post was edited by Silmaril on May 14, 7:05pm)

jlj93byu
Bree

May 15, 4:02pm

Post #13 of 17 (8028 views)
Shortcut
Amazon.co.uk [In reply to] Can't Post

I also went to order this, and saw the release date of October (though it's already available on the Kindle).

Like many of you, I decided I'd rather pay a few extra dollars rather than wait 5 months. Amazon.co.uk can be a beautiful thing. I've bought several blu rays from them when they were movies not yet available on blu ray in the US, or even some of their BBC documentaries that aren't released in the US until months later.

Can't wait to read this!

(This post was edited by jlj93byu on May 15, 4:03pm)

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

May 15, 6:52pm

Post #14 of 17 (8013 views)
Shortcut
I was at least satisfied [In reply to] Can't Post

... that we got some relatively unfiltered comments from Phillipa Boyens.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 21, 9:41pm

Post #15 of 17 (7894 views)
Shortcut
I just finished it [In reply to] Can't Post

I got it on Kindle the other day and have been reading at all random moments since. I found it an excellent, absorbing chronicle of the gestation and legacy of LOTR - I guess as a fairly keen and longstanding fan I knew most of it, but I still found it fascinating. It makes me want to do a rewatch not just of LOTR but also TH (which I confess I only saw in the cinema, once per film).

My only criticism is that perhaps it's too much on the side of the films and a little gushing at times about PJ, but then Ian Nathan is a self-confessed fan. As a journalist there's a bit of me which feels more objectivity would have been nice, but as a fan, I get where he's coming from!

Storm clouds

Silmaril
Rohan

Jun 9, 11:01am

Post #16 of 17 (5541 views)
Shortcut
Only a few pages left... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's absolutely amazing. Mortensen, Ordesky...love it!!!

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Jun 9, 11:04am)

Silmaril
Rohan

Jun 9, 12:44pm

Post #17 of 17 (5536 views)
Shortcut
PB on The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew we could only fail in a way...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.