Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
3 1/4 dog team

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 4, 6:02pm

Post #1 of 13 (614 views)
Shortcut
3 1/4 dog team Can't Post

I forgot which thread this was on...

I mentioned the 3 1/4 dog team...

There is video proof... and a very funny high school project by my friends' kid:

credits: dog wrangler: Teanna Byerts and Nichole LeLou
dog team: Willow, Legolas, Denali and Max the 16 Pound Schipperke
Pie man stand-in for mushing: Teanna
Special FX by Dave Tristan

https://youtu.be/Yn4PjQrWPz4

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Ml 'lain nallol, I sl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 4, 6:22pm

Post #2 of 13 (585 views)
Shortcut
the backup piemobile [In reply to] Can't Post

aka the 3 1/4 dog team shows up at about 5:41... but you'll want to watch the whole Amazing Pointless Adventure.

bigger on the inside...

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Eruonen
Valinor

May 5, 2:07am

Post #3 of 13 (569 views)
Shortcut
Why Canadian come to mind? Are they Canadian? [In reply to] Can't Post

It reminds me a bit of Wayne's World crossed with Trailer Park Boys.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 6, 2:29pm

Post #4 of 13 (537 views)
Shortcut
bwaa haaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

it must be the sled dogs....

We have a fair number of sled dogs in Pennsylvania. Which is why we're running on wheels... not much snow...

I get confused with the Canadians too... I keep thinking it's the 51st state or something... only they are more polite than us.

SlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySly

Also their Fearless Leader is very cool and handsome.

We do kind of sound alike.... in fact, the Canadians sound more American than the Alabamans...

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

David is now a brilliant college student studying biology... he did make Eagle Scout.

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 6, 2:46pm

Post #5 of 13 (533 views)
Shortcut
Somehow... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it doesn't seem as though 3 1/4 sled dogs would make for a very effective team. Even 3 1/2 dogs would be pretty awkward. Tongue

Truthfully, I have no idea what is meant by a 3 1/4 dog team (and Google didn't help). Unsure

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 6, 3:06pm

Post #6 of 13 (529 views)
Shortcut
there is humor in this of course... [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a great cartoon of 3 Siberians and a Pomeranian (a northern breed which used to be much bigger)... the Sibes are looking at the Pom like "are you even a dog?!?!" The Pom is saying "I'm a Spitz!!!" quite proud of his northern ancestry.

I had the reality, only the small dog was a Schipperke (a black Belgian spitz).

And the Sibes gave him exactly the same look... "are you even a dog?!?!?"

My team has never been a racing team, we are a trottin down the trail team havin fun team. You always run at the speed of your slowest dog, the idea is for all the dogs to have fun. They love to run, and humans are too durn slooooooow. So you get on a set of wheels (bike,,scooter, rig) and hook up your dogs and goooooooooo!!!!

Max was very gung ho, and wanted to run, he also pulled quite hard. The other dogs were kept to his pace, a nice brisk trot for them, and when he tired, he got to ride in the backpack in the rig! (I'd watch for him literally "slacking", coming back in the neckline and letting the tug go loose, meaning he wasn't pulling any more and needed to rest).

For all the dogs, this is a fun run, doing what their ancestors did, "hunt" in a pack, smell new smells, hear new sounds.

For example: look this one up online...Maddie the weight pulling poodle weighs 8 pounds. Weight pulls are 100% positive reinforcement...as in, if she didn't love it her humans wouldn't do it. And she's trained like any athlete, to do what she can do without injuring herself.

For our video, it was just silly... having a superhero with a dog team... and a non matching one at that. Think Yukon Cornelius in Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer.

And of course this fan of large dogs will never underestimate a tiny dog again...

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 6, 3:07pm

Post #7 of 13 (527 views)
Shortcut
PS [In reply to] Can't Post

just watch the video.... bwa haaa haaaaaaaaaaaa LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 6, 3:51pm

Post #8 of 13 (521 views)
Shortcut
Got it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very cute (the team, not the video). Tongue

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 6, 4:44pm

Post #9 of 13 (512 views)
Shortcut
hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 7, 11:19am

Post #10 of 13 (438 views)
Shortcut
Look at those little legs go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Forget the kids, I want the rolling sled and the team! Laugh

I see what you mean about the dogs setting their pace to the slowest. They work together so well!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 19, 7:08pm

Post #11 of 13 (368 views)
Shortcut
If you like sled dog teams. [In reply to] Can't Post

I recommend the Twitter feed of Blair Braverman.

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 20, 2:23am

Post #12 of 13 (355 views)
Shortcut
it's a dog thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't actually have to train them to work together... it's natural for them to think as a pack. The musher simply arranges dogs in the best position for each dog. For us recreational folks just having fun, it's just about making sure everybody's in the right spot to have fun.

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 20, 2:31am

Post #13 of 13 (353 views)
Shortcut
that's pretty cool... [In reply to] Can't Post

...pun intended.... gotta have cool weather to run...

never mind

I've got a few folks on my facebook and check on various pro mushers during the winter on their sites. I'm on twitter but don't actually follow it, becs it seems to depend on being plugged into a phone...

I have a dumb phone.

Smile

there's a local mushing group on facebook here in PA/MD called Balto Team Dogs. Of course you see lots of pics of teams on trails with wheeled rigs and scooters and bikes and stuffs.

Karen Ramstead (Canada) also has a fun webpage with silly cartoons of her border collies.

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.