Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to the first Fiesta of May!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 4, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 27 (987 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the first Fiesta of May! Can't Post

Hello, everyone!

Can anyone tell me how it got to be May already, lol? Wednesday was a special day for B.G. and I. We celebrated our 12th anniversary with some tenderloins and champagne. For anyone here who doesn't know, we met on TORn's sister-site, Kong is King.net during the heyday of that effort by P.J. He's a Kiwi, so we spent the next 16 months or so getting to know each other over Skype, meeting each other and getting engaged, then going through the long slog to get him here with a fiance visa so we could get hitched. Luckily, after 12 years we're 12,000 time more in love. HeartHeartHeart

So, what have you been up to, and what do you have planned for the weekend? Have a pass at the yummy buffet, and order up your favorite drinkie, and let us know!!

*Kicks juke box* "Goodnight my Someone* by Shirley Jones (what a voice!), from The Music Man starts to play. Corney, I know, but it was our song for those many months were apart. Smile

Happy weekend, everyone!!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 4, 4:13pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 4, 4:29pm

Post #2 of 27 (949 views)
Shortcut
*massive hug* Congratulations, Altaira and B.G. :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Twelve years already!? I still think of you two as those Crazy Kids! I'm so incredibly happy for you both! :D

I'm leaving next week (Thurs-Sat) to pick up my g'kiddie from college in Iowa to stay here with me at the Old Bag's End for at least 6 weeks. We have Multiple Marathons planned (Marvel comic movies / DC comic movies / LotR/Hobbit / Die Hard / Harry Potter / Indiana Jones / Star Wars / Star Trek / Jurassic Park / and any other runs we can think of. THEN, when we've dried up that deep well... we like to have individual-themed marathons... like Bette Davis movies / Cary Grant / John Wayne / Tom Cruise (just a few of those ;) / Simon Pegg / etc. Lots of fun!

Also Quests all over Michigan. Visit the stone houses of Cheboygan / Lake Michigan / Lake Huron / the virgin Pine forest in Grayling (old logging camps) / and maybe even get to the Detroit Comic Con in June.

I can't wait!! :D

*grabs a lemonade* Thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira... and Congratulations again! *waves fondly to one and all*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 4, 4:30pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4, 4:38pm

Post #3 of 27 (946 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! Many happy returns of your anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

And did you get a dozen of any particular item to celebrate? Smile (Dozen roses, dozen donuts...Angelic)

Congrats to you both - it doesn't seem possible it's been that long! (I wonder if someone here has pics from the event?)

I'll have a mocha java, please, the weather here is sunny one moment and threatening rain the next. My geeky son is taking me to see Avengers tomorrow! He wants to go when there will be a large audience, for the reactions; he's already seen it, but early in the day when only a handful of people were in the theater.

So what do YOU two have planned, for the weekend?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4, 4:42pm

Post #4 of 27 (945 views)
Shortcut
"Old Bag's End"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh! Laugh

Six weeks? Sounds like you've filled them up, already! But isn't it fun to watch these movies with someone! I know you'll have a wonderful time together! Heart

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 4, 4:42pm

Post #5 of 27 (945 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Lots of plans! [In reply to] Can't Post

My goodness! Your next 6 weeks sound fantastic. I hope you have a safe trip and the beautiful Spring weather holds up and cooperates.

Thanks for the good wishes! We feel so close to our TORn family since we would never have have met if it weren't for TORn. SmileHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 4, 4:48pm

Post #6 of 27 (947 views)
Shortcut
TWO dozen! [In reply to] Can't Post

I worked from home on Wednesday, so I could knock off early and we could cook dinner together, but Tuesday night when I got home from work there were two dozen roses waiting for me! Cool

At one point between getting engaged and getting him back to the U.S., he had some flowers delivered. Then again about two weeks later. When the delivery person left that time, they said: "see you next time!" When I asked what they meant, they told me he'd arranged a standing delivery! Yeah, he's pretty special.

Ohhh! Enjoy the movie. We haven't seen it yet, but if your son wants to see it again and take you, it must be good!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4, 5:00pm

Post #7 of 27 (944 views)
Shortcut
Oh, how sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

A constant delivery of flowers!

Oh yes, I'd call that pretty special. Heart

Give that fellow a big hug from all of us, okay? Cool

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 4, 8:36pm

Post #8 of 27 (928 views)
Shortcut
Aww, happy anniversary to you both. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be spending today getting over yesterday's physio session. I'm bruised on my back from some massage to loosen up the soft tissues - I'll have to ask him to be gentler next week. I thought I went to physio to get rid of pain?

Fingers-crossed, I'll be back on four-day weeks next week. A big project ends in the middle of next week and I have to make sure that my manager doesn't take the opportunity to let this temporary five-day work week situation slide into something permanent. I like my three-day weekends!

Happy end of the week, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 4, 8:37pm

Post #9 of 27 (929 views)
Shortcut
Yep, those are the only marathons I'd do. [In reply to] Can't Post

None of the running ones. Too much sweat involved. Wink

It sounds like you're going to have a fantastic time together! :) :)

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 4, 8:39pm

Post #10 of 27 (929 views)
Shortcut
*heart melts* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When I asked what they meant, they told me he'd arranged a standing delivery!

Heart

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 4, 9:25pm

Post #11 of 27 (925 views)
Shortcut
*heavy sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

Fate and the Will of Good knew what they were doing this time :) Give him a big hug from me! You so very much deserve to be cherished by such a lovely soul... as he is cherished by you :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Attalus
Lorien

May 5, 12:41am

Post #12 of 27 (913 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

Susie and I have been together 12 years come December.

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 5, 1:09am

Post #13 of 27 (905 views)
Shortcut
Happy Anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, 12 years already? Where does the time go? Congrats to you both! Heart

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Patty
Immortal

May 6, 7:10pm

Post #14 of 27 (880 views)
Shortcut
Happy weekend to all my TORnsibs... [In reply to] Can't Post

Quick question. Did anybody here see the movie Black Panther in 3-D? My question is, is this a movie that is greatly enhanced by 3-D? Disney apparently is not releasing this movie in 3-D until sometime in June overseas, and I was wondering if I should wait till June to get the 3-D Blu-ray disc or go ahead and just get the 2D version next week. I was rewatching Guardians of the Galaxy on 3-D disk a few days ago and marveling how greatly that movie is enhanced by 3-D and I wondered if I should wait on Black Panther. I have not yet seen it, so I am anxious. But I will wait if it is worth while to do so.

Permanent address: Into the West

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 6, 7:20pm

Post #15 of 27 (872 views)
Shortcut
Patty! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lovely to see you here! I hope all is well with you?

I can't answer your question, as I haven't seen it yet myself. I rarely get out to a movie theater these days.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Patty
Immortal

May 6, 7:32pm

Post #16 of 27 (867 views)
Shortcut
Howdy, Silverlode! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, doing well. I meant to stop in on founders day but got distracted. I hope you and all TORNfolk are well.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 6, 8:32pm

Post #17 of 27 (859 views)
Shortcut
Aww, you're back. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

There's always a space for you on the discussion boards, Patty. :)

I can't answer the 3D question because that version never played here! Unsure

Ataahua's stories

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

May 7, 3:40am

Post #18 of 27 (852 views)
Shortcut
A very happy anniversary to you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about to start showing "The Music Man" to my 5th graders. I shall think of you and B.G. all three times that I watch that scene next week!

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 7, 11:38am

Post #19 of 27 (819 views)
Shortcut
Patty! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so great to see you!

I have seen the Black Panther, but not in 3D. Now you've got me wanting to see Guardians on 3D!! First I have to get a player that does 3D :( *sigh*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 7, 11:41am

Post #20 of 27 (818 views)
Shortcut
FF! Howdy! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so great to see you! Isn't it such a great story to warm ourselves on. Music Man AND Altaira & B.G. :)

*big hug*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Half-elven

May 7, 2:21pm

Post #21 of 27 (818 views)
Shortcut
Patty! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad to see you! Do you know that there is a 1958 version of "Our Mutual Friend" starring David McCallum as Eugene that's available on DVD? Region 2 only but you and Bill have a region-free player, right?

https://www.amazon.com/...r+mutual+friend+1958

Of all the people I know you are probably the one most likely to want to know about this. Lovely to see you!

I saw Black Panther only in 2D but oh my what an amazing movie. You will love it either way.

Love to you & yours -

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on May 7, 2:22pm)

Patty
Immortal

May 7, 6:32pm

Post #22 of 27 (801 views)
Shortcut
Great to ďseeĒ you, Ataahua! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will definitely be involving myself in the discussions of the Amazon series coming up. Iíll see you there for sure!

Patty
Immortal

May 7, 6:37pm

Post #23 of 27 (799 views)
Shortcut
Hey, hey, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Guardians was definitely a 3-D movie, right up there with Avatar. Still canít find anybody who saw Black Panther in 3-D, but I may skip the 3-D because people who have seen it in 2D tell me that itís kind of dark and 3-D and dark donít go together too well. I may just content myself with getting the 2-D version.

Great to see you again.

Patty
Immortal

May 7, 6:43pm

Post #24 of 27 (798 views)
Shortcut
Hi Annael! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like something I really want to see. Iím going to look to see if Netflix or prime video has it first, but if not I may have to order it, because you know what a Dickens fan I am. Yes, we have a region two player. Thanks so much for the tip!

Yes, I think I am just going to have to give up and get the 2D version of Black Panther. One of the things making me come to this conclusion is the fact that if I want to get it in 3-D from Britain I would have to wait until June. Iíve been wanting to see the movie, and I donít want any more spoilers before I do. The longer I wait the more thatís a possibility. I have been having to look past so many articles on Flipboard that have spoilers for infinity war in the headlines! They donít even have the decency to just put it in the body of the text.

Great to see you!

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

May 7, 7:10pm

Post #25 of 27 (791 views)
Shortcut
Congrats, Altaira - that's so sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Late to the fiesta again; I've been away camping with my family, for three cold nights and three unseasonably warm days. Some places in the UK set a new record for early May Bank Holiday temperatures today - when I was driving home! I'm not very comfortable with heat, so thank goodness for the shade of new leaves and cool dewy grass on the campsite and aircon in the car. Bluebells in my garden down at sea level are fully out, and where we camped in the hills they are still in tight bud.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.