Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I just read that in the book Bard uses his share of the treasure to rebuild Dale

OhioDude72
The Shire

May 1 2018, 12:03am

Post #1 of 5 (4437 views)
Shortcut
I just read that in the book Bard uses his share of the treasure to rebuild Dale Can't Post

After the death of Thorin in the Battle of Five Armies, Dain becomes King under the Mountain. He redeems the Arkenstone from Bard with a fourteenth of the treasure, which is used to re-establish Dale. Over the next three years, Bard rebuilds the city of Dale and becomes its king. The city begins to prosper again.

I wonder why they didn't depict this and if it would have been unnecessary. I think it would bring some closure to the story and a sense of redemption for the reader who naturally empathizes with the humans the most.

(This post was edited by OhioDude72 on May 1 2018, 12:06am)

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

May 1 2018, 12:11am

Post #2 of 5 (4421 views)
Shortcut
Acorn [In reply to] Can't Post

The deleted acorn scene alludes to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2KtSW2woks

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2018, 12:20am

Post #3 of 5 (4420 views)
Shortcut
The movie didn't need it. [In reply to] Can't Post

The restoration of Dale starts after Bilbo and Gandalf leave Erebor, though it would have been nice to see Dáin reward Bard. By the way, Bard (in the book) also gives over a portion of his gold to the rebuilding of Lake-town. The old Master falls victim to the dragon-sickness and makes off with a large part of the gold, accompanied by a number of followers. His henchmen abandon him in the Wastes where he dies alone.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

StingingFly
Lorien

May 6 2018, 2:54am

Post #4 of 5 (4292 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and this could have been tied to LOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it could have illustrated how this was all part of Gandalf's plan to counter Sauron. To remove the dragon and reforge an alliance of dwarves and men in the region...which we know plays a role in the Lord of the Rings.
I enjoyed obnoxious Dain, but they should have done more to redeem the character, so that we can see how he and Bard could work together to build such an alliance.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

May 7 2018, 10:30pm

Post #5 of 5 (4077 views)
Shortcut
One thing we do see about Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

If I remember rightly, is that he isn't too tempted by the treasure. He does seem much more concerned by the plight of the people of Laketown. He does let Alfrid go with treasure without raising an eyebrow. So he does not suffer from Dragon fever.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.