Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The music that plays as Bard lines the arrow up on his son's shoulder is beautiful
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

OhioDude72
The Shire

Apr 30 2018, 4:00pm

Post #1 of 27 (9122 views)
Shortcut
The music that plays as Bard lines the arrow up on his son's shoulder is beautiful Can't Post

That entire sequence is epic.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 30 2018, 4:06pm

Post #2 of 27 (9081 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...though I have to ignore the implausibility of Bard's improvised ballista. That never should have worked!

Sorry, if I'm being a downer; it really is a nice scene despite my reservations.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 30 2018, 4:07pm)

OhioDude72
The Shire

Apr 30 2018, 6:12pm

Post #3 of 27 (9069 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...though I have to ignore the implausibility of Bard's improvised ballista. That never should have worked!

Sorry, if I'm being a downer; it really is a nice scene despite my reservations.

Do you mean the Jerry rigged bow or the implausibility of him hitting that tiny spot on the dragon?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 30 2018, 6:37pm

Post #4 of 27 (9064 views)
Shortcut
The Bow [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely the jury-rigged bow that would have fallen apart before it could be fired, if the string didn't break first. We pretty much must accept the accuracy of Bard's shot, since he managed to strike Smaug's vulnerable spot in the book too (and that was with Smaug in the air).

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 30 2018, 6:38pm)

OhioDude72
The Shire

Apr 30 2018, 7:20pm

Post #5 of 27 (9052 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Definitely the jury-rigged bow that would have fallen apart before it could be fired, if the string didn't break first. We pretty much must accept the accuracy of Bard's shot, since he managed to strike Smaug's vulnerable spot in the book too (and that was with Smaug in the air).

Is there any behind the scenes or an interview w Jackson explaining why they went with the ground attack and involved his son?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 30 2018, 7:36pm

Post #6 of 27 (9054 views)
Shortcut
Yes I really like this scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard Shore did a great job with the entire score but particularly this scene. Using Bard's Family Theme in this epic version is really emotional.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 30 2018, 7:59pm

Post #7 of 27 (9044 views)
Shortcut
On Bard vs. Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is there any behind the scenes or an interview w Jackson explaining why they went with the ground attack and involved his son?

I think, mainly, they just liked the image of Smaug stalking Bard along the rooftops like a cat playing with a mouse. I did find something in The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Chronicles: The Art of War about the improvised bow:

Bard had to inprovise to be able to shoot his black arrow after the bow snapped. In reality, when it came for us to fire the black arrow on set, we had to improvise too! It was a cheat in the end, because the actual bowstring simply wasn't long enough to pull that huge arrow back. We extended the string, which hopefully no one would notice in the final film, but was a practical necessity in order for the shot to work.
Jamie Wilson, Armour & Weapons Production Manager

So, that's actually a third reason why the bow should not have worked. Evil

A side-issue is that, after such a big deal was made of the dwarven windlance, we really should have had a good shot of Smaug destroying it if it wasn't going to be used by Bard. Peter Jackson completely blew that--there was zero pay off.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 30 2018, 8:14pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 1 2018, 3:09am

Post #8 of 27 (9014 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

A side-issue is that, after such a big deal was made of the dwarven windlance, we really should have had a good shot of Smaug destroying it if it wasn't going to be used by Bard. Peter Jackson completely blew that--there was zero pay off.

To make such a big deal out of it in DoS and then just completely forget about it in BOT5A??? And with the arrow obviously way too big to fire from a longbow, it just doesn't make sense!

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2018, 4:26am

Post #9 of 27 (9008 views)
Shortcut
The Windlance as MacGuffin [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't quite tell if you are being sincere, Kili', or if you're having a bit of fun. But the windlance was being teased in both of the first two Hobbit movies. Destroying it off-screen really was a cheat to the audience, though I realize that it doesn't bother everyone. It irritates me more that Jackson expects us to be stupid enough to accept that Bard's improvised weapon could launch the humongous Black Arrow.

I'm not angry, just disappointed. Pirate

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 1 2018, 4:27am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 1 2018, 1:29pm

Post #10 of 27 (8977 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm being serious [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, it was briefly shown in AUJ, I was thinking more about Balin's speech after Thorin saw the Dwarvish Windlance, something like "Only a black arrow fired from a windlance...." And then it was just dropped. I don't even know for sure it was destroyed off-screen, one can assume so but really, the whole thing disappeared. Maybe aliens stole it? (okay, that was just a bit of sillinessSly) I'm not angry, either, but I do count that as one of the movie's bigger flaws.

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

Silmaril
Rohan

May 3 2018, 7:18am

Post #11 of 27 (8785 views)
Shortcut
Bard's improvised ballista [In reply to] Can't Post

A strange construction...Bard's jail break never should have worked either...it's impossible for me to take that movies serious.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 3 2018, 7:39am

Post #12 of 27 (8780 views)
Shortcut
MythBusters! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard's jailbreak would be another good one to test on MythBusters. I'm not sure that it shouldn't have worked outside of the notion that Bard should not have been able to get rope from his cell--much less enough for his need.

Petty Dwarf
Bree

May 3 2018, 7:17pm

Post #13 of 27 (8693 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would tend to think that the rope would stop the boat and/or strangle the Master before tearing out the wall of a building.

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 3 2018, 8:50pm

Post #14 of 27 (8680 views)
Shortcut
Inertia and Momentum [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a good-sized boat, heavy with gold. Momentum and the work of the rowers (polers?) might well have been enough to keep it moving and pull the (old?) out the (rotting?) bars. I agree that the Master probably should have had his larynx crushed!

Arannir
Valinor

May 8 2018, 12:39pm

Post #15 of 27 (8189 views)
Shortcut
Music [In reply to] Can't Post

The music is beautiful. It could have been louder (as in many scenes in THE movies) but is is pretty epic.

The scene itself - it is simply bad screenwriting how the windlance was dropped imho.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

May 15 2018, 7:23am

Post #16 of 27 (7968 views)
Shortcut
windlance destroyed [In reply to] Can't Post

I vaguely remember some official source like an art book mentioning the windlance being destroyed. With all of BotFA's unfinished effect shots, I wouldn't be surprised if that was something that was planned but slipped through the cracks (not even making it into the extended cut).

Chen G.
Gondor

May 15 2018, 6:01pm

Post #17 of 27 (7916 views)
Shortcut
But its the kind of this that one accepts quite intuitively [In reply to] Can't Post

I just recall watching the film for the first time and immediately understanding "Well, it obviously got destroyed in all the mayham." So, in terms of strucural problems, its really not a biggie.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

May 15 2018, 6:45pm

Post #18 of 27 (7911 views)
Shortcut
Idk [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s a legitimate issue with the film. You yourself have described the importance of setup / payoff before.

Chen G.
Gondor

May 15 2018, 6:47pm

Post #19 of 27 (7910 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sure [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's something that you sort of accept. "Well, it probably got destroyed."

I, for instance, care much more about Thrain's "Tell Thorin that I loved him" not paying off. It turns out it was just an artifical way to dramatize the situation further.

I will say however that, inn such a big canvas, its understandable that its not going to be structured nearly at tightly as, say, something like the original "Back to the Future" which is full of setup-and-payoff - because its a much shorter script.

But there are a lot of things that do payoff: even small stuff like the "Blunt the Knives" number which sets up the Dwarves' coordination, pays off in numerous action sequences; Bilbo's handkerchief; his conversation with Bofur; Bifur's Ax; etc...

(This post was edited by Chen G. on May 15 2018, 6:54pm)

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

May 15 2018, 6:51pm

Post #20 of 27 (7907 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I really thought BOTFA EE would rectify and tie in with the previous EE. I guess the stressors of being captured by the Necromancer makes a wizard forgetful!

Chen G.
Gondor

May 15 2018, 6:52pm

Post #21 of 27 (7907 views)
Shortcut
Nah, there just wasn't an opportunity to do that [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf never had a quiet moment with Thorin where that would be appropriate. It wasn't meant to pay-off in any way - it was only used to highten the tragedy that was imminent in that scene, which is unfortunate.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 15 2018, 7:14pm

Post #22 of 27 (7899 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't mind so much... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just recall watching the film for the first time and immediately understanding "Well, it obviously got destroyed in all the mayham." So, in terms of strucural problems, its really not a biggie.

...my problem with it is that the substitution for the windlance is such a huge, unbelievable cheat. I can easily accept Elves, Dwarves and dragons in a fantasy film; but not a Rube Goldberg device that cannot possibly work as presented even in a world where magic is a given. My willing suspension of disbelieve (much like Bard's bowstring) cannot stretch to that extent.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 15 2018, 7:23pm)

Chen G.
Gondor

May 15 2018, 7:19pm

Post #23 of 27 (7891 views)
Shortcut
The energy of the sequence is such that it really doesn't bother me [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the internet's brand of layman film criticm has made people look too much into individual beats rather than the narrative as a whole. To me, the energy of the scene just doesn't allow you to dwell on these kinds of moments, so its really inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. But admittedly one's milleage may vary.

I hold that its the best "James Bond opening" of the entire series: Because unlike Fellowship's its part of the linear flow of the plot, unlike The Two Towers', its an entire sequence, not just a single scene; and unlike An Unexpected Journey, its not a sequence burdened with exposition.

Its also an excellent statement of tone and theme: "Oh, you thought Smaug was the arch-villain? Wrong, he was a red herring! What? you thought you'd kill the dragon and reclaim this huge pile of gold without consequence and everybody would live happily ever after?!"

By making this a separate film, and opening it the way that it does, that's the message - which Tolkien very much intended for when he rewrote the final chapters of The Hobbit - that the filmmakers are conveying to the audience. It wouldn't work like that had this film's plot been attached to the end of the previous film, and I'd say its this theme of subverting expectation that comes to define this film.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on May 15 2018, 7:22pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

May 15 2018, 9:42pm

Post #24 of 27 (7871 views)
Shortcut
"Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it was only used to highten the tragedy that was imminent in that scene

Which was immediately ruined by the worst use of the Wilhelm Scream I've ever witnessed.Laugh

Chen G.
Gondor

May 15 2018, 9:56pm

Post #25 of 27 (7867 views)
Shortcut
Was it, though? [In reply to] Can't Post

I always hear that claim, but it always sounds to me like Sir Anthony's voice. It may be Wilhelm-like, but its his voice, I am sure.

There's certainly nothing comedic about it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.