Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Join the Celebraton with a Founder's Day Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27, 4:09pm

Post #1 of 38 (834 views)
Shortcut
Join the Celebraton with a Founder's Day Fiesta! Can't Post

Welcome, everyone, to a special Fiesta Friday in the midst of the fun and games of Founder's Day!

As always, gramma has taken care of us and organized a very special celebration. So, thanks to gramma, and thanks to everyone posting fun things for everyone to do!

Other than the fun of Founder's Day, what have you been up to? Any fun plans for the weekend? Take some time out from the games to have a stroll by the special Founder's Day buffet, order your favorite celebratory drink (other than champagne, which is on the house today), and let us know!

*puts quarters on juke box* play us your favorite fun song!

Have an awesome weekend, everyone!! CoolSmileHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 27, 4:12pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27, 4:21pm

Post #2 of 38 (782 views)
Shortcut
TORn ROCKS! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to thank everyone who has contributed an activity (SOME AWESOME STUFF, GUYS!) and also everyone who is playing the games. It's so fun to see our Community and all who enjoy TORn get together for our very own Holiday!

But you need to prepare yourselves for NEXT Founders Day as TORn will be celebrating its 20-YEAR TORniversary! Geezo Peezo! 20 Years! :D

*bows deeply* This is a very special place because of YOU!

This weekend? Ohhhh... we're having our small-town Maple Syrup Festival all weekend (started yesterday) with rides, yard sales, pancake suppers (with syrup from our maple trees), and a parade on Saturday! But it's kind of cold right now, so I'll grab a hot chocolate and get ready to hit the sales :D *squeeeeeee!*

Thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira... and thanks :)
*huggles to one and all!*

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27, 4:21pm

Post #3 of 38 (782 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founders' Day, everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's decided to be rainy here, so I'd like a mug of hot coffee with a generous dollop of Bailey's, please! Smile

I've got hubby's brother & his wife visiting this weekend, we'll treat them to dinner at the local fish-market-turned-awesome-restaurant. Cool Fun fact: she and I have the same first name/middle initial/last name (since we married brothers). Gets confusing at times! Laugh

A reminder to everyone to keep working at that Mad Lib this weekend, you can submit answers for more than one word! Smile

A fun song? Oooh...let's see if the old "Monster Mash" is on this jukebox, that'll get everyone dancing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27, 4:29pm

Post #4 of 38 (778 views)
Shortcut
Maple syrup festival? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that sounds yummy! Do they have corn fritters for the syrup, also?

And speaking of cool weather, did your new fireplace get put in yet?

Thank you for leading us all in another grand Founders' Day adventure, gramma! Hope you find some treasures at the yard sales! Cool

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27, 4:33pm

Post #5 of 38 (778 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it does! And so do you. [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHeartSmile

The festival sounds like so much fun! I know, can you believe TORn is soon to be 20? *clinks glass* Here's to us, to TORn, and to you having a very special weekend. Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27, 4:37pm

Post #6 of 38 (778 views)
Shortcut
Her name is dernwyn too? [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughWink

I know, that was pretty lame. Blush I bet that get's' confusing. How do you keep things straight? The restaurant sounds fantastic. If lobster is on the menu for tonight, or some fresh, fluffy cod, I'll be green with envy.

*dances to Monster Mash*

Enjoy the weekend!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27, 4:40pm

Post #7 of 38 (781 views)
Shortcut
Fyi... Links to all the Party Favours! [In reply to] Can't Post

**19th Anniversary and Founders Day Collection, 2018

Click and enjoy :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27, 4:44pm

Post #8 of 38 (776 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

What is this year's leaf, pray tell? It's beautiful.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27, 4:48pm

Post #9 of 38 (779 views)
Shortcut
Fritters yes! Fireplace no :( [In reply to] Can't Post

There are thousands of gallons of syrup from the town's trees. It's a sign of Spring around here when the buckets get hung on the trees up and down every street. They even sell it by the jug.

You remembered! :D I'm still waiting to hear from the gent who is working on the fireplace. He's squeezing in my project during his home construction jobs (keeping the cost down)... so I'm kinda just waiting for him to come up for air! They're ready to cut the hole in the wall, frame and brick. So I know he's worried about me being open to the elements.

THANKS!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27, 4:48pm

Post #10 of 38 (772 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug!* :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27, 4:56pm

Post #11 of 38 (776 views)
Shortcut
*facepalms* [In reply to] Can't Post

Ho boy, I was asking for that! Laugh Often we'll just say e.g. "Bob's Sue", or if the wrong one of us answers they'll say," no, the OTHER Sue". We think it's so funny!

Oh yes, cod is on the menu...would you like yours baked, broiled, fried, or grilled with teriyaki, barbecue, or garlic lemon butter, or even "en papillote" (which does make the fish very light and fluffy!)?

Have a fun weekend, Altaira! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27, 4:59pm

Post #12 of 38 (774 views)
Shortcut
I can understand that! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's like when new doors or windows are put in, the installers don't want the interior subject to any bad weather. And that's a rather large hole they'll be making in your wall! But it will be so nice, once it's in...just think of next winter. Cool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27, 5:11pm

Post #13 of 38 (771 views)
Shortcut
Bwahaha! So cute! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to have a split reality, right!? :D I hope you have a WONDERFUL weekend *still sniggering*

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27, 5:20pm

Post #14 of 38 (776 views)
Shortcut
It's a Kauri Pine with its pinecone [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still working on my NZ trip notes, but one of the stops I was able to make (thanks to a wonderful sibbie) was Willowbank Park in Tawa where we planted our 11 trees in 2004. This year's leaf is in honour of our trees.

As with everything we experience, it's always so magical to see (and feel) things for real. And this was VERY real! They're beautiful! A couple are distressed, but the rest are thriving :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 27, 5:21pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27, 5:41pm

Post #15 of 38 (767 views)
Shortcut
*Drools* [In reply to] Can't Post

I always suspected you had an evil side. Now I know! Laugh Aside from torturing your friends, enjoy the weekend.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27, 5:49pm

Post #16 of 38 (770 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't think of a better leaf to use, and you found the perfect picture of one. Too bad we can't get a real mallorn leaf for next year!

Attalus
Lorien

Apr 27, 6:45pm

Post #17 of 38 (766 views)
Shortcut
I'm a-cooking [In reply to] Can't Post

Eye of Round roast beef according to my Very Special Recipe, with potatoes, carrots and onions. Friends are coming over tonight. Susie's getting a dessert from a bakeshop near her work. Probably one cupcake we will all have to split, if I know her.

Let me have a Bloody Mary with an extra dash of Tabasco! I need the energy!

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Műmak. But we got him!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27, 6:50pm

Post #18 of 38 (762 views)
Shortcut
Mmmmm, sounds delicious! [In reply to] Can't Post

After chowing down on your VSR roast beef, maybe all everyone will be up for is part of a cupcake, lol.

*puts a final touch of extra Tabasco in a tall, Bloody Mary* Enjoy the cooking process, and the result! Smile

Attalus
Lorien

Apr 27, 7:06pm

Post #19 of 38 (762 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

...Cheers! Pirate

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Műmak. But we got him!

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 27, 7:08pm

Post #20 of 38 (766 views)
Shortcut
Jack Frost [In reply to] Can't Post

Rum version, please.

Performed my last major facility inspection this week, an air force base. Felling kinda sad. My boss is freaking out cause he's going to have to do these until (or *if*) they hire a replacement for me.

Still slowly cleaning out my office. Accumulated a lot of junk over the past 39 years. Just about every day a full trash can of old reports, documents, books, certificates, and awards.

Finally sorted out all the problems with Social Security and Medicare. Still need to finalize all the options for my State pension.

Surprised at how much I'm looking forward to retirement. I hadn't realized how exhausted I am.

Introduced Clover to her three tutors (The Mystic Circle of Motley Mages) and the beta readers raved about the new characters. They were also quite taken with Clover's innocent enthusiasm and childish delight when she eventually succeeded in casting her first spell. (It's taken nine whole chapters, but the titular Dancing Mage has finally gotten around to dancing and mageing.)

Need to do something really special with Wifey this weekend.

“Did you say 'You Shall Not Pass' or 'You Shall Not Sass'?" asked the Balrog.

"I said 'You Shall Not Pass,'” replied Gandalf; "and I wish you wouldn't keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly: you make one quite giddy."

"All right," said the Balrog; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of its wings, and ending with its shadow, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

'Well! I've often seen wings without a Balrog,' thought Gandalf; `but a Balrog without wings! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!’

-The Adventures of Gandalf in Middle-earth Land

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27, 7:31pm

Post #21 of 38 (757 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, that sounds yummy [In reply to] Can't Post

And looks yummy too!

Congrats on all the progress towards retirement. All my retired friends say they have so much going on they have no idea how they got everything done *before* they retired. Just think of how much time you'll be able to devote to your story!

Cheers! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27, 7:45pm

Post #22 of 38 (756 views)
Shortcut
Ohh... Mallorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't that be perfect. However... since those trees are well-hidden from us... I've got my eye on Tolkien's favourite tree, Black Pine (pinus nigra) for our 20th TORniversary :)

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27, 7:49pm

Post #23 of 38 (757 views)
Shortcut
A breakfast margarita, my good barkeep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Might as well start the day off humming. Wink

I'm on five-day weeks for a short bit while a marketing campaign is under way. On the one hand it's refreshing that my demanding, disorganised boss trusts me enough to manage the campaign day-to-day, but on the other I'd rather not be in charge of staff - I prefer to stay in my corner and do what needs to be done. So it's been a challenge - and changing from four days a week to five sucks the fun out of life! But I (should have) only one more week to go before I can switch back.

On Tuesday was my uncle's funeral. He had reached 90 and was frail so his death wasn't unexpected but it's still sad to say goodbye to one of the last of his generation in our family. But it was a good funeral in that there was plenty of his humour and his bravery in the service. And I haven't seen so many war medals in one place outside of an Anzac Day parade.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a weekend of not doing very much. Happy end of the week, all!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 27, 8:15pm

Post #24 of 38 (751 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founders day, folks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just domestic stuff going on here; weather still very changeable. Pesky April showers... going on a family camping weekend soon, so I hope it settles down - and brightens up! Helped out at a 'Roman Banquet' at my grandson's school this afternoon; around 60 children aged 7/8 dressed (with varying degrees of success) as Romans and screeching round the school hall in a sugar-fuelled frenzy. Fortunately nobody needed the vomitorium... . The teacher leading it was dressed as a centurion, and later as a gladiator - he was really entering into the spirit of the thing.

Enjoying the games on TORn, and particularly looking forward to the glorious silliness of the Mad Lib! Happy weekend to you all. Cheers! In line with Middle Earth Music game, I'll vote for some good old Mirkwood Mac music - 'Don't Stop', maybe?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27, 9:26pm

Post #25 of 38 (745 views)
Shortcut
Gosh - long day! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a 6-hour online course, and it just ended. It was a good session, but it's hard to stay focused for such a long stretch. We did get 5 minute breaks every hour, but that was a scramble at lunch time.

I'm still getting used to having a 2-day weekend back after volunteering my Saturdays all winter. Last weekend I helped a friend clear out one of the rooms at his place so new flooring could be put in, and this weekend I'm finally setting up my outside deck. Weather has finally turned the corner to spring and while it's not quite warm enough to sit outside, at least I can stop worrying about snow! (fingers crossed of course).

Coming up, my backsplash tile project! I'll tell you about it next week.

After a long day, I'll pour myself a nice Scotch, neat.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.