Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**FD Game - Six Subject Line Challenge!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26, 11:45am

Post #1 of 28 (2577 views)
Shortcut
**FD Game - Six Subject Line Challenge!! Can't Post

TORnsib weaver created this TORn-classic game years ago, and we're going to have fun with it today! It's not a proper party without bringing in the Boards and using sibbies own words.

Below are six subject lines randomly selected from posts currently on the Discussion Boards.

Here's the challenge: use them in a creative way as part of a joke, a mini-short story, a drabble, parody, limerick or whatever you feel inspired to do. Use one, some or all of the subject lines and let your muse go wild!
[weaver's 2010 SixSubject Line Challenge example]

Ready? Your choices are:
1. Just go with your feels --------------------------------- from Main by InTheChair
2. So are they pulling our legs? -------------------------- from M-e TV Series by angel1e4e5
3. It's sunny! No, it's raining! It's calm! No, it's windy!-- from Off Topic by Kimi
4. Gandalf with a little help from his friends ------------- from Reading Room by CuriousG
5. It's still a ridiculous plan -------------------------------- from Hobbit Discussion by Silverlode
6. I just want to hear -------------------------------------- from The Arena by the 13th warrior

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 26, 9:35pm

Post #2 of 28 (2509 views)
Shortcut
A Wizard Shops for a Mobile Phone [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf, with a little help from his friends, entered the phone store with trepidation, his anxiety only heightened by the disdainful smirks of the teenagers working there, gawking at “Grandpa trying to figure out a *smartphone.* He won’t know how to even plug it in.” Which was pretty close to the truth and shameful for one of the Wise.

“There are so many models and specifications that they overwhelm me,” Gandalf whined. “Should I just get a grey one so it matches my attire? Or do I get the model that rhymes with Olorin, the name of my youth?”

“Don’t overthink it,” Pippin advised. “Just go with your feels. Keep shopping until you find the phone that expresses the inner you.”

“But look at this display ad!” Merry objected. “Only $1 a month with unlimited calling to Valinor?!”

“Look at the fine print,” Frodo cautioned. “It goes up to $50 a month after the first 6 months. And there’s a discount if you have a Ring of Power.”

“So are they pulling our legs?” Merry huffed.

“Of course they are,” Gandalf huffed back. “Any shop named ‘Saruman’s Sure Deals’ isn’t to be trusted.”

“It’s still a ridiculous plan,” Pippin added. “Why don’t we go to ‘Wormtongue’s Wondermart’ instead?”

“He sells the same junk,” Frodo answered, “and we don’t have to pay sales tax here. Gandalf, try out this one. It only has a few simple apps on it, so it won’t be too confusing, and Varda is preloaded into your contacts. Try the weather app. Push there.”

What followed was the taunting voice of the Mouth of Sauron: “Weather today: It’s sunny! No, it’s raining! It’s calm! No, it’s windy! Try again another day, for this day is the Day of Doom when all the Valar gnash their teeth at ruined picnic plans.”

Gandalf dropped the phone with a shudder. “There is malice in this phone, and on the back it says ‘Made in Mordor.’ Can’t we buy one made by the Elves? I just want to hear the sound of the Sea as it crashes on the beaches of Tol Eressea as my ring-tone.”

“Those models were discontinued in the Second Age, Grandpa,” said a smirking teenager behind the counter. “Maybe you should try ‘Lobelia’s Antiques’ instead?”

As the mood darkened within the store, the Fellowship deemed it best to move on, capitulating on this quest and hoping to find one less daunting.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26, 10:22pm

Post #3 of 28 (2494 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahaha! Ring of power discounts! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! That was so much fun! YOU DID IT! Got all of those lines fitted into a very spiffy shopping spree.

Seriously... I laughed through the whole thing :D

Thanks so much for playing! *still smiling*

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

hanne
Lorien

Apr 26, 10:25pm

Post #4 of 28 (2494 views)
Shortcut
Hilarious!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't quote - every line was very funny. Bravo!

squire
Half-elven

Apr 26, 10:51pm

Post #5 of 28 (2496 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very funny and well done.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27, 4:50am

Post #6 of 28 (2495 views)
Shortcut
*tosses hat into Ring* [In reply to] Can't Post

*pokes head in* Sam wasn't sure it was safe to go in yet. He was always gauging these things wrong; but Frodo was in there... trapped in the middle of yet another Council meeting. These are the times for Sam when always he must meddle.

...He found himself in his own internal debate. "Just go with your feels and walk on in!" But he immediately scoffed, "It's still a ridiculous plan. You're not allowed. Besides, Gandalf is in there. He'll watch over Mr. Frodo."

...Gandalf, with a little help from his friends, was preparing to leave Rivendell and travel West with the hobbits. These final days were used by the leaders to meet and learn that the King had returned and what that would mean for restoring all the lands.

...Sam's backside was vulnerable while his head was still cautiously jutted through the door. He was unaware of Legolas and Gimli joining him as they too leaned in for a look. Gandalf glanced up to see the totem-pole of faces and stifled a laugh. Startled by his discovery, Sam jumped back nearly toppling the whole lot over.

..."Save me! What are you doing here?" Sam whispered tersely.

..."We could ask you the same thing," retorted Gimli. "Still like eavesdropping, do ya?"

...Sam's face reddened. "I just want to hear if they're about done. It's been going on for so long, I don't know if it's night or if it's sunny!"

..."No, it's raining!" teased Legolas.

..."It's calm! No, it's windy!" added Gimli smiling.

..."Oh bother," said Sam turning to walk away. "Mr. Gandalf and Mr. Frodo said it wouldn't be long. It's been hours!"

..."So are they pulling our legs?" asked Gimli.

..."No!" came Gandalf's voice from behind. He told the Council he'd see what all the commotion was at the door. "But you could be on to something."

[These are 3 extra lines I stuck in there not used in original 6 ;)
You could be on to something ..... from M-e TV Series by Eldorion
*pokes head in* ......... from Off Topic by Annael
Always he must meddle ... from Hobbit Discussion by Kilidoescartwheels

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 27, 5:03am)

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Apr 27, 7:13am

Post #7 of 28 (2474 views)
Shortcut
Mods up! [In reply to] Can't Post

You fit the lines in so naturally I had to go back to check which ones they were.
This was delightful:

What followed was the taunting voice of the Mouth of Sauron: “Weather today: It’s sunny! No, it’s raining! It’s calm! No, it’s windy! Try again another day, for this day is the Day of Doom when all the Valar gnash their teeth at ruined picnic plans.”

Laugh

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Apr 27, 7:21am

Post #8 of 28 (2474 views)
Shortcut
And another silly scenario! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a picture this is! Laugh

Gandalf glanced up to see the totem-pole of faces and stifled a laugh

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27, 9:59am

Post #9 of 28 (2467 views)
Shortcut
Brilliantly done! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

sador
Half-elven

Apr 27, 3:38pm

Post #10 of 28 (2457 views)
Shortcut
I would gawk, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

And who knew that Gandalf is such a whiner?

Well done, CuriousG!

hanne
Lorien

Apr 27, 4:15pm

Post #11 of 28 (2449 views)
Shortcut
O well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

You made them sound so natural!

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 28, 10:23am

Post #12 of 28 (2405 views)
Shortcut
Haven't got one yet but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did discover a missing scene from the end of Shadow of the Past in which Sam and Merry discuss Sam's new findings at the Green Dragon. To thwart eavesdroppers, they've put the Rolling Stones Singles box set loud on the Juke box:

"Of course I Can't Get No Satisfaction staying behind, Mr Merry - not if the Ring is going to make Mr Frodo it's Beast of Burden." Sam took a gloomy sip of his ale. " I don't see as we've got any choice anyway, if the Dark Lord is going to take the world and Paint It Black - I've no Sympathy With The Devil!"

"Good man, Sam, But what about Rosie?"

"I have Mixed Emotions, of course I do, but Time Is On My Side - or at least I hope so, Mr Merry. It's Mr Pippin who will have it hard there, especially if we must set out at once. Wasn't he hoping for a date with Angie -or was it Ruby -Tuesday?"

"It can't be helped, Sam. Our Biggest Mistake would be Waiting On A Friend who can't control his Sex Drive. I find it all Terrifying myself, but Start Me Up and Wild Horses won't stop me."

"I'll leave the horses to you then, Mr Merry. I'm more worried about wandering around the wilds Like A Rolling Stone, and most likely ending up doing the Harlem Shuffle between a Rock And A Hard Place. And probably nobody to Gimme Shelter...."

Hmmm - is this a six Subject Line I have ruined, or have I blended the games of Six Subject and Middle-earth Music Festival? That would be a black evil! Evil

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 28, 3:32pm

Post #13 of 28 (2383 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf interrogates Gollum, somewhere under Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

"So are they pulling our legs, Precious?" Gollum cowered in the corner of his cell.

"Certainly not!" retorted Gandalf "I don't want to torture you, I want to help you."

Gandalf, with a little help from his friends had finally captured this wretched creature. They had learned that he had been to Mordor and then had, suspiciously, been allowed to 'escape'. Aragorn and Gandalf had argued long over whether Gollum was on a mission from the Dark Lord.

"Its still a ridiculous plan, Sauron letting him go without any means of tracking him afterwards," Aragorn had said. Gandalf had sucked his pipe and grown thoughtful "Unless Gollum's many years bearing the Ring has created a subtle link between his mind and Sauron's. I wonder..."

"I just want to hear," Gandalf said to Smeagol now "what the weather is like in Mordor today. I bet you know - just go with your feels..."

Gollum shut his two big round eyes "It's sunny! No, it's raining! It's calm! No, it's windy! No it's ....arrrgh!" Gollum's eyes snapped open "We doesn't want him in our head, does we precious. Two's company and Three's a crowd! Having him in here is like an unexpected party; a shadow of the past."

Gandalf looked at the wretched creature sympathetically. What a good thing he thought, that the elves could be trusted not to let Gollum escape.

~~~~~~
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28, 11:07pm

Post #14 of 28 (2313 views)
Shortcut
*wild applause* Brilliant! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Sprinkle a little Brown Sugar on this... and it's good enough to eat! I'm so sad that It's All Over Now!

*high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28, 11:14pm

Post #15 of 28 (2309 views)
Shortcut
*eyebrows shoot up* :o [In reply to] Can't Post

"Unless Gollum's many years bearing the Ring has created a subtle link between his mind and Sauron's. I wonder..."

What a fascinating possibility... and makes perfect sense!

Very Cool how you fit this into what could have happened after they captured Gollum. :D

THANKS!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 28, 11:21pm

Post #16 of 28 (2309 views)
Shortcut
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something with baad rhyming [In reply to] Can't Post

just for you Heart

When winter first begins to bite
Grab your mittens, and ware the night.
Or just go with your feels
It’s no big deals.
Heck! Let’s all just go fly a kite.

Seek for the sword that was broken
It’s been found already! in Hoboken.
So are they pulling our legs?
The truth now I begs
Or it’s Baruk Khazâd! from he of the shield oaken.

All that is gold does not glitter,
We’ve been told by Tex Ritter
It’s sunny! No, it’s raining! It’s calm! No, it’s windy!
Legend has said ‘Lady Lindy’.
‘Fore her fall oh so bitter.

When the black breath blows
All did hold their nose
Even Gandalf with a little help from his friends
Stayed the stench ‘sept for weekends
When all were caught adoze I suppose.

“Hey dol! Merry dol! Ring a dong dillo!
A slug of Dorwinion and let’s hit the pillow.”
“Nay! Two slugs at least we need”,
Said Maggot quite firmly indeed
It’s still a ridiculous plan”, said Old Bombadillo.

Ere iron was found or tree was hewn
Rode ole Bess and Daniel Boone.
Here lay a tale I just want to hear
‘Twould do me good, please bend an ear
Lest I fall a heap in swoon.

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 29, 7:41am

Post #17 of 28 (2250 views)
Shortcut
Looking for a name for that game... [In reply to] Can't Post

Which would require folks to write a Tolkien scene, song poem etc. Inserting some song titles from a favourite band (or ‘artist’ as they say now). We could play it another time.

For now though, I’m wondering whether Middle-Earth has any Honky Tonk Women....

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 29, 7:56am

Post #18 of 28 (2253 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I’ve found at least one [In reply to] Can't Post

Honky Tonk Women (of Middle-earth)

Instrumental intro: banging on discarded orc helms of various sizes.

I met a fair young elf amid the hemlock
She took me to her dad, but that proud fool,
Said Luthien and I could not be married
Until I’d stole some stupid eleven jewel.

It’s a ....

Etc.

And one for Pippin:

Was knocked out by an uruk hai near Amon
She tried to take me off to see her boss
She had to keep me right across her shoulder
Cause she ain’t my species, and she didn’t floss

~~~~~~

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Apr 29, 8:02am)

sador
Half-elven

Apr 29, 5:53pm

Post #19 of 28 (2218 views)
Shortcut
"Ah, Rosie! [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes she smiles As Tears Go By, and then She's A Rainbow! But It's All Over Now; she thinks I Play With Fire, so she'd rather stay home as Mother's Little Helper", Sam concluded mournfully.

(This post was edited by sador on Apr 29, 5:54pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 29, 10:27pm

Post #20 of 28 (2181 views)
Shortcut
What a great approach! [In reply to] Can't Post

Each one a jewel. Like a hide n' seek of the familiar and unexpected :D I love it!

Thanks so much! *still smiling* I've gotta go read them again... and again...

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 30, 6:40pm

Post #21 of 28 (2101 views)
Shortcut
“Elves!” Sam muttered. “Now I’m not for Sauron, but I’m not against him, either.” // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 30, 6:42pm

Post #22 of 28 (2097 views)
Shortcut
Lol! The *real* story behind the Fellowship is far messier than the official one, like usual. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 30, 6:44pm

Post #23 of 28 (2096 views)
Shortcut
Bravo! Fun to imagine Bombadil admitting anything is ridiculous. We’ve been waiting Ages. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 1, 4:35pm

Post #24 of 28 (2062 views)
Shortcut
A drivel of a drabble... [In reply to] Can't Post

Incident on a Flet
Gil-galad thought: “Just go with your feels.”, which were often precognitive. Relaxing in his Baracalounger up a covert talan – NUTS! “Found ya Gilly!” Gil-galad knew his ‘feels’ were spot on. “It’s time for our Two Nations to slap that Big Naughty down Yonder”, said Elendil. “I just want to hear it’s still a ridiculous plan. So are they pulling our legs?, yathink?”
Then: It’s sunny! No, it’s raining! It’s calm No, it’s windy! NO!! It’s Gandalf with a little help from his friends huffing up the ladder. Having arrived a thousand years early he was quickly chucked from the flet.

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

hanne
Lorien

May 1, 8:29pm

Post #25 of 28 (2047 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

If the Valar had sent Gandalf over earlier maybe Sauron would have been gone far sooner! :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.