Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
TV show plot: downfall of Numenor and last alliance?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 25, 2:22am

Post #51 of 60 (5050 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's Voice [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure that most of us (I won't try to speak for everyone) want the series to capture at least something of Tolkien's voice as well. I do not share the pessimism of skyofcoffeebeans in this regard, though I would expect there to be some compromises.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Apr 25, 3:21am

Post #52 of 60 (5047 views)
Shortcut
I trust writers... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to adapt Tolkienís novels faithfully and also tell a good story. Itís already spelled out for them. With stories like the Silmarillion or vague outlines of the history of Middle-earth, that requires whole invention of plot and characterization, and ďinventionĒ and ďTolkien adaptationĒ together doesnít exactly inspire hope when I look at what those two concepts have brought to the table by writers who knew Tolkien very well.

The trouble here is I donít know that good writers make for good Tolkien, and I also donít think Tolkien geeks necessarily make for good storytellers.

Iíd love to be proven wrong, but I think their best bet is to reimagine the Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, and selected concepts from the appendices as a broader ďWar of the RingĒ narrative. Itís the most marketable, and the easiest to write. Young Aragorn also fits neatly.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 25, 7:03am

Post #53 of 60 (5033 views)
Shortcut
Been there. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Iíd love to be proven wrong, but I think their best bet is to reimagine the Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, and selected concepts from the appendices as a broader ďWar of the RingĒ narrative. Itís the most marketable, and the easiest to write. Young Aragorn also fits neatly.

Peter Jackson has essentially already done just that with his two film trilogies (minus including Aragorn except as a brief mention). This doesn't look to be an adaptation, so much as using material from the books (mostly culled from the LotR appendices) as a framework used to tell more stories of Middle-earth. Likewise, there is no way to produce a straightforward adaptation of the journeys and errantries of Aragorn, or anything else from the appendices, because the available material to draw from is just too sparse and needs too much fleshing out. If someone attempted to tell Aragorn's backstory, using only what is in Appendices A & B, I doubt they could get more than one hour out of it--and it wouldn't be a very satisfying hour. Whatever the to-be-announced showrunner does, it is going to require imagination and invention to get five seasons out of Tolkien's notes.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Apr 25, 1:04pm

Post #54 of 60 (5016 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think theyíll use his films as a basis on what to do and what not to do. Remake culture has been a staple of Hollywood since its inception, and itís only accelerated with the blockbuster.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 25, 4:51pm

Post #55 of 60 (4996 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I think theyíll use his films as a basis on what to do and what not to do. Remake culture has been a staple of Hollywood since its inception, and itís only accelerated with the blockbuster.

I wasn't really agreeing with you in that I don't think that Amazon is looking at remaking either The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings in any substantive manner, especially as no one involved in this seems to be talking about TH at all. They do seem to be taking the more difficult route and concentrating on material from the appendices.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Apr 25, 5:12pm

Post #56 of 60 (4990 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I know [In reply to] Can't Post

It's difficult for me to imagine that Amazon spent a billion dollars to adapt a few ancillary sentences from the LOTR appendices and flesh them out into characters and situations that will either satisfy Tolkien fans and bore general audiences out of their minds or vice versa. I don't see the middle ground. Whereas there are Tolkien stories that have a proven audience.

This is where younger Aragorn makes much more sense than anything else from the appendices. But in that context, it makes as much sense as the Solo film coming out from Lucasfilm, and just look at the excitement that film is generating.

(This post was edited by skyofcoffeebeans on Apr 25, 5:12pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 25, 5:28pm

Post #57 of 60 (4986 views)
Shortcut
The Heir of Isildur [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there that much anticipation and excitement over Solo: A Star Wars Story? Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention.

I do tend to agree with you about the potential in an Aragorn-focused series, but we do have a number of skeptics even here in the forums.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Apr 25, 5:50pm

Post #58 of 60 (4981 views)
Shortcut
Thatís my main point [In reply to] Can't Post

There isnít. And Han Solo is something of an icon in a way Iím not sure Aragorn is. Granted, thereís a host of reasons why thereís no particular buzz around that film (market saturation, casting, etc.), but whatís important is I donít think thatís going unnoticed.

The main potential I see in a young Aragorn narrative is using that as a foundation for eventually retelling the War of the Ring in later seasons, as I donít see this materialís target demographics being satisfied by a writing room attempting to adapt ancillary details from the appendices that are simultaneously engaging and true to Tolkienís voice and tone.

And I donít think a retelling of the War of the Ring need be repetitive. Jacksonís Two Towers is three hours long. What would a ten hour season of The Two Towers look like? What if we could see the War in the North? Television is a radically different medium than cinema.

It would be especially ingenious if they segued from semi-original material into adapting the events of the Lord of the Rings, as any backlash from fans of the original trilogy would be muted by the presumed great reception of the first few seasons.

And if anyoneís looking back on this years from now after Amazonís the Silmarillion has been renewed for a sixth season, let me repeat that Iíd love to be surprised. Wink

InTheChair
Lorien

Apr 25, 6:44pm

Post #59 of 60 (4975 views)
Shortcut
Producers would have loved your ideas, but I wonder if the Tolkien Estate would. [In reply to] Can't Post

The best options are the Witch King and Arnor, or the fall of Numenor and rise of Gondor. If they do that, they can also show the forging of the great rings and Sauron attacking the elves of Eregion. Yes it would be hundreds of years before, but that never stopped producers before.

I don't think they'll do the Witch-King and Arnor however, since that wouldn't give them Sauron as the main villain.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 16, 10:38pm

Post #60 of 60 (3502 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn the Ranger [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The best options are the Witch King and Arnor, or the fall of Numenor and rise of Gondor. If they do that, they can also show the forging of the great rings and Sauron attacking the elves of Eregion. Yes it would be hundreds of years before, but that never stopped producers before.

Well, if this is to be believed (and I have no reason to doubt it) then it seems that the Journeys and Errantries of Aragorn will be the focus of the new show (at least at the start). Maybe we will get some of the other stuff later, either as a spin off or a separate arc.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.