Come on in! It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 20 2018, 4:00pm

Post #1 of 41 (1370 views)
Shortcut
Come on in! It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone! It's nice to be back behind the bar after a couple weeks of hectic real-life. I'd be remiss if I didn't thank the wonderful bar-mistresses who took the bar and ran with it though, so thanks a million, ladies! Heart

Is everyone enjoying what's really, truly turning into Spring (or Fall, depending on which half of the planet you live on)? I hear there was some WEATHER in the northeastern U.S. Did everyone there escape unscathed? It's quiet and lovely here in Colorado, with all the fruit trees just starting to blossom.

Have a go at the buffet, order your favorite virtual libation, and let us know how life is treating you!

*kicks juke box* one of my favs, "Spring," by Vivaldi starts to play to go with the lovely Spring weather.

Enjoy a wonderful weekend, everyone! HeartCoolSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Annael
Immortal

Apr 20 2018, 4:14pm

Post #2 of 41 (1315 views)
Shortcut
*pokes head in* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so rarely here . . .

It's actual SPRING here! We've had sun for TWO WHOLE DAYS! I was out in the garden for hours along with my young housemate (we are a household of an elderly man - dad - a late-middle-aged lady - me - and a 25-year-old student) and the garden is starting to look very nice. It's been a project for the last two years to bring the garden that my folks loved and labored over for decades back into shape; Mom became too feeble to work in it about 10 years ago and Dad's really not been up to it for the last 5. Not my first rehab job; the house I used to own had a huge garden that had been neglected for 10 years as the original owners aged. That was a pleasure to me, and this is too. I'm excited that the raspberry canes I put in this winter (after moving roses & other things to make room) are in leaf. These canes are the great-great-grandchildren of raspberries a friend had: I got canes from her for the first house I owned in Seattle, gave canes from my plot to a friend for her new house; she later gave some to her sister when SHE bought a house, and I got my new ones from HER.

Itching to put out annuals along the borders, but have to wait until May 1 & we're past the threat of frost; it's not forecast, but I am leery of the weather these days . . .

I'll have an Irish coffee to warm up before I go out there (it's sunny, but that doesn't mean WARM).

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Apr 20 2018, 4:23pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2018, 4:22pm

Post #3 of 41 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Vivaldi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love his "Four Seasons". So glad to see you made it through the dreaded April deadlines, Altaira!

Could I have a Long Island Iced Tea, please? We lucked out with just rain in my area from these past couple of storms. It's still chilly, though, nights are at or below freezing, still waiting for the days to get into the 60s consistently. And my daffodils haven't yet bloomed! More raking of debris to do, this weekend.

Do you have any fruit trees, Altaira? We have none of our own, but there's plenty of apple orchards in this town! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 20 2018, 4:24pm

Post #4 of 41 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Irish coffee, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear you about late frosts. Last year it snowed here in early May and, looking it up, I discovered it's been more common than not here n the last decade. So, I'll join you in waiting a few more weeks for those annuals. It sounds like you're making such good progress on the garden, and how cool is it about the raspberries!

Bundle up, and enjoy a wonderful weekend of sunshine and working outside! SmileHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2018, 4:24pm

Post #5 of 41 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Spring is a perfect time to have a Founders Day Party! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

So great to see you Altaira! You were sorely missed; but I'm happy you've been freed just in time to enjoy the great Spring weather! We've got snow on the ground, but the temps are quickly rising and promises to have all traces of Winter gone by the end of the day Saturday! *tosses confetti*

AND Spring is definitely a season for parties! TORn has a Party to plan fersher! TORn's 19th Anniversary Founders Day is next Thursday, April 26. This link will take you to the thread where you can see what games are already being planned and where everyone can add their idea for a game. Duplicate games are totally ok, imho :) So if you have an idea that is already "taken"... no it's not!

I'll just grab the last hot chocolate in salute of the end of the cold season for those who have been there, and a toast to our dear friends who are just entering their coat & boot season. *holds mug high*

Have a GREAT weekend Everyone!

ohhhh.... LOVE Vivaldi! THank you! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 20 2018, 4:25pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 20 2018, 4:25pm

Post #6 of 41 (1309 views)
Shortcut
*sneaks in* [In reply to] Can't Post

Poking my head in at work for a quick nibble and drink. *grabs a cookie*

The weather here has been cool and the air feels fresh. The best LA weather, in my opinion.

This weekend is the annual Festival of Books hosted by the LA Times (again at USC this year). I'm excited as always for the festivities and outdoor booths, where I'll probably buy too many books for my own good (if such a thing exists). I'll see Viet Thanh Nguyen to get a copy of his shorty story collection The Refugees signed for my best friend's birthday.

Tonight I get to see Argentinian filmmaker Lucrecia Martel for an in-person Q&A following a screening of her new film, Zama, which I'm excited for. I know she's a name unfamiliar to most, but I'm excited nonetheless.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Apr 20 2018, 4:26pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 20 2018, 4:32pm

Post #7 of 41 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear you just got rain [In reply to] Can't Post

You're always one of the people I think of when I hear NE is getting hit by weather.

We have a beautiful crab apple tree out front that is full of white blossoms, and the offices of the client I'm working at now have a block-long row of them that are full of bright hot-pink buds that will be in full-bloom soon. We had a crab apple in the back yard that had pink blooms, but it was grafted onto something VERY aggressive that took over a year or two ago, and eventually killed the whole tree. Frown I like to say that the tree committed suicide. Laugh We'll have it removed soon, and the good news is I discovered a 'volunteer' tiny maple sapling last year that, if it made it through the winter, will go nicely in that spot.

Enjoy the weekend, and stay warm and dry!

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 20 2018, 4:35pm

Post #8 of 41 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the Founder's Day reminder, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

It always sneaks up on me because it's one of my busiest times of year. My deadlines wont be over for another 4-5 weeks, but at least the remaining workload is now manageable and not uber-urgent. So, I'm looking forward to participating in all the fun and games.

Thanks for being such a good organizer, and thank *you* for taking such good care of us. SmileHeart

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2018, 4:35pm

Post #9 of 41 (1299 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh.... time for the garden :) [In reply to] Can't Post

You do what I like to do. I have wild roses from the Ohio family farm I brought home over 20 years ago (before we coudn't go there anymore). I've also got lilies of the valley from my Grandparen'ts gravesite/home plus 4 different colours of lilac bushes from my Grandmother's farm before she passed away about 10 years ago plus some from another friend who passed away and my Mom & Dad's house. I have other trees, bushes, ferns and rocks from the same places. I love carrying on with those living memories and pass them on to my friends and family.

Sadly, I've very much neglected my garden, but started working on it again last summer. It really does take years to get them full and healthy, but so gratifying at every level of repair :)

I hope you have a wonderful WARM weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 20 2018, 4:36pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 20 2018, 4:37pm

Post #10 of 41 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, cats16! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like you have a really fun weekend planned. Books and movies! What could be better. Smile

I hope you enjoy it!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2018, 4:38pm

Post #11 of 41 (1297 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* daffodils [In reply to] Can't Post

They are such a happy, perfect flower for welcoming Spring :D *runs out to check progress*

Nope... not yet! I'm glad it's warming up for you FINALLY! You're neck of the woods seems to catch the brunt of Winter all the time, now. Have a wonderful WARM & SUNNY weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2018, 4:39pm

Post #12 of 41 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Crabapples are delightful! [In reply to] Can't Post

My parents' old house had one by the back door, it was Dad's pride and joy. That's sad about the pink crabapple, I hope that maple sapling is healthy and can replace it. Heart

Have a relaxing weekend, too, Altaira!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2018, 4:40pm

Post #13 of 41 (1295 views)
Shortcut
It's a crazy season :) [In reply to] Can't Post

But FD is always a place to hang out for a few days and just have some sibbie fun :D

I love doing it :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 20 2018, 4:40pm

Post #14 of 41 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Yes! It finally feels like Spring! [In reply to] Can't Post

As the incomparable Tom Lehrir might have put it:
Spring is here, a-suh-puh-ring is here.
Life is skittles and life is beer.
I think the loveliest time of the year is the spring.
I do, don't you? 'course you do.

I think I will refrain, though from poisoning pigeons in the park. Evil

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 20 2018, 4:41pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2018, 4:42pm

Post #15 of 41 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Raspberries! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a heritage they have! Will they put out fruit this year, or do they have to mature a bit more?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2018, 4:43pm

Post #16 of 41 (1285 views)
Shortcut
*tackles for cookie* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh... you don't realize your danger! I'm on a diet, so politeness is OUT THE WINDOW! ;)

I'm so glad you have such a fun festival to go to. AND I hope the weather is perfect... cool but not cold, sunny and no high winds.

Have a GREAT time :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2018, 4:46pm

Post #17 of 41 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

to be able to get back outside after all the wintry mess we've had! Laugh

Thanks, gramma, it looks like it's going to be genuine garden/lawn weather all around. Smile Have a relaxing weekend!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2018, 4:49pm

Post #18 of 41 (1283 views)
Shortcut
There's a party coming up this week? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Yes, it's a perfect way to celebrate Spring (finally!)! Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2018, 4:57pm

Post #19 of 41 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Okay, now that is very dangerous. [In reply to] Can't Post

A Festival of Books? So many of us here would not survive - or at least, our bank accounts wouldn't! Laugh

Enjoy the meet-and-greets! I've actually heard of "Zama", probably because it's getting very excellent reviews. Do you know if it will be shown much in the States, maybe at the art cinemas?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2018, 8:16pm

Post #20 of 41 (1256 views)
Shortcut
A hot chocolate with a shot of something interesting, thank'ee barkeep. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a heck of a week and I could do with the weekend being nice and relaxing. My garden badly needs some tending but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to it, given the weather forecast. (Our autumn has been more like a fractious spring with stormy, changeable weather. A calm patch would be nice!)

I hope you all have a lovely weekend ahead of you. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 20 2018, 8:49pm

Post #21 of 41 (1251 views)
Shortcut
*pours a shot of peppermint schnapps into mug of hot chocloate* [In reply to] Can't Post

If you've never tried it, it's really quite yummy!

Enjoy the weekend wherever you end up - inside staying warm, or outside trying too. Laugh

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2018, 11:56pm

Post #22 of 41 (1240 views)
Shortcut
It's sunny! No, it's raining! It's calm! No, it's windy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our autumn weather cannot make its mind up. I've been doing the laundry dance: hang a load outside, then dash out and bring it in again, repeat (preferably without an extra *rinse*). But when it's fine it's lovely: clear, bright and cool. It's great weather for running, too!

It's warm for April. Our tomato plants are still bearing quite well, although I don't think they'll last much longer. The broad bean seeds I've been planting are now peeping through the soil. I should be able to get another batch of rocket (arugula) going, too. Our crabappple trees are heavy with fruit, so I'll be making jelly in a wee while.

We're currently looking after friends' cat and chickens while they're away, so are scoring lots of fresh eggs! Mr Kimi's been thinking up ways to use the extras. Said friends gave me some sourdough starter, and I've been enjoying making tasty loaves.

Time to hang the next load of laundry out...

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Apr 20 2018, 11:57pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 21 2018, 12:06am

Post #23 of 41 (1231 views)
Shortcut
(Somewhat) Warmer [In reply to] Can't Post

It is warmer over our way, but it's a relative warm. It is presently refrigerator-cold instead of freezer-cold. The forecast for the rest of the weekend is more Spring-like. Smile

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 21 2018, 1:31am

Post #24 of 41 (1224 views)
Shortcut
I managed [In reply to] Can't Post

to get my laundry out for an hour this morning before the clouds raced in. I gave up on the dance and they're now drying on the hot-water cylinder. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 21 2018, 2:16am

Post #25 of 41 (1222 views)
Shortcut
The downside [In reply to] Can't Post

of a very well-insulated cylinder is that it's no use at all for drying! We do have a cosy conservatory, though, with a drying rack.

The one time we sometimes get caught out is if it rains for days on end but isn't cold enough for a fire. I.e. a fair chunk of late winter :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Apr 21 2018, 2:16am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.