Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys, unlocks doors* Welcome to Friday Fiesta! :D
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 14, 12:34am

Post #26 of 53 (1671 views)
Shortcut
*sings* "Thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening!" [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a massive storm on Tuesday - and by 'we' I mean all of New Zealand, with snow, tornadoes, gales, heavy rain and spectacular lightning storms in various places. It's still going on, in spurts - I think Auckland's copping it today.

About 40 minutes down the coast from where I live, a truck driver recorded the lightning storm he was driving through, then realised that it was a tornado. If you watch the video to the end you'll see him go right through the middle of it, with the wind changing direction on the other side.

At least the temperatures a bit a warmer today - the snow front caused temps to drop about 10 or 12 degrees C on average.

I'll just help myself to a lunchtime margarita. Happy end of the week, everyone! :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14, 12:47am

Post #27 of 53 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Yikes - tornado! [In reply to] Can't Post

They are very frightening, for sure. Hope the weather settles down, but this time of year it's like a roller-coaster.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 14, 1:21am

Post #28 of 53 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Mama Mia! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh geez! There were some angels surrounding his truck and the car behind him! I've been through 2 tornadoes in my lifetime. One here in my home about 10 years ago (watched it coming across the field towards my back door, and the other where I had to pull the car over and crawl into a ditch as it passed by. I really feel for this guy!
On a purely selfish note... I missed it by *THIS MUCH*! I love heavy weather!
I'm glad you're okay. Stay Safe!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 14, 1:30am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14, 2:08am

Post #29 of 53 (1645 views)
Shortcut
Glad you're okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping you weren't too affected by the twisters.

We got off remarkably lightly. It was windy, but not spectacularly - and ours wasn't among the 120,000 households in the region that lost electricity. We did have to go to the city on Wednesday, though, and the traffic was much worse than its usual awful. It was a great relief to leave!

Several degrees warmer today here, too. I had to sort out my winter woollies on Wednesday.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14, 2:24am

Post #30 of 53 (1646 views)
Shortcut
Oh, dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

That ol' internal alarm clock never got shut off, eh?

What a relief it will be to be able to move into decent classrooms, so glad for that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14, 2:25am

Post #31 of 53 (1645 views)
Shortcut
I've been keeping an eye on that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like it's going to head straight into Canada after it hits you, and just leave us with rain.

Stay safely inside! Did the fireplace get put in yet?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14, 2:28am

Post #32 of 53 (1650 views)
Shortcut
How in the world [In reply to] Can't Post

could he keep driving in that stuff - he must have been in a very heavy rig!

Was much damage done?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 14, 2:36am

Post #33 of 53 (1646 views)
Shortcut
He was in a fertiliser truck with a full load [In reply to] Can't Post

so yes, very heavy. He didn't have any place where he could pull over on that road so I figure his options were to stop (and risk someone driving into the back of him) or keep going. There was a small vehicle following him, though. I hope they're OK! Maybe the truck provided some shelter.

Luckily the tornado hit a very small rural settlement with five houses damaged and three beyond repair. Of course that's not lucky at all for the residents and farmers affected, but if it had touched down in a larger urban area the damaged of course would have been a lot worse.

Two farm hands hid in the vat room of their milking shed and hung on for dear life when the tornado hit overhead. They said the windows *imploded* as all the air was sucked out of the room. Shocked

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 14, 2:39am

Post #34 of 53 (1641 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear you came through it OK! [In reply to] Can't Post

A friend near Silverdale was without power for more than a day, and the Auckland printing company I use through work has had to cancel jobs because they still had no power more than two days later.

I turned on the gas heater for the last two evenings but now I'm sitting here in a summer shirt. Smile

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 14, 5:42am

Post #35 of 53 (1635 views)
Shortcut
I kept wondering [In reply to] Can't Post

which national park they were referring to in the news, until the penny dropped that the village is called National Park. Crazy

Definitely lucky it happened it an area of low population.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 14, 5:43am

Post #36 of 53 (1630 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really tired now! (5.42pm) Laugh

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 14, 7:40am

Post #37 of 53 (1628 views)
Shortcut
Same! [In reply to] Can't Post

First I heard of it.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14, 10:03am

Post #38 of 53 (1623 views)
Shortcut
It used to be called [In reply to] Can't Post

Waimarino - a much nicer name, IMO.

One of my books is partially set there a few years before the name change, and I got to use the old name :)

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Apr 14, 10:04am)

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 14, 10:21am

Post #39 of 53 (1619 views)
Shortcut
Was it officially changed? [In reply to] Can't Post

What a pity.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14, 9:36pm

Post #40 of 53 (1593 views)
Shortcut
No, actually. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ironically, the name was changed to avoid perceived confusion! Waimarino was used for the district as well as the settlement. There were complaints at the time that a lovely and appropriate Maori name was being replaced by such a pedestrian one, but it came to naught. Of course later the name became a source of much greater confusion, with freight destined for other national parks arriving at that railway station.

It started with the Railways Dept deciding to change the name of the station. They changed it, but never officially gazetted the change. The name of the Post Office was changed, and that name change does appear in the parliamentary records. But the township's name has never been officially gazetted (this is the case for a surprising number of New Zealand place names, by the way).

There have been moves at times to change it back to Waimarino, but so far they've been unsuccessful. But as LINZ puts it, "National Park remains a 'Recorded name', and is not itself official." So there's still hope.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Apr 14, 9:53pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 14, 10:53pm

Post #41 of 53 (1589 views)
Shortcut
I'll bet that information of this type [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't what you were expecting to pick up when you began your research. And this would be one of my difficulties: becoming fascinated by side-stories that pull me away from what I'm actually there to learn. Smile

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14, 11:39pm

Post #42 of 53 (1575 views)
Shortcut
You are so very right. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my record is spending most of a day in the National Library checking records for what ending up being one sentence :).

The non-fiction I'm currently working on is, if anything, even worse than the fiction for the tempting side-stories offered, and the complicated linkages uncovered as I delve further. I often have to take a deliberate step back and remind myself that a person is just a minor actor in the story, and I really can't justify spending any more time delving into his or her background and movements.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Attalus
Lorien

Apr 15, 1:19am

Post #43 of 53 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Walmarino? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds to me like an Italian version of Wal-Mart. Okay, I was just going...Frown

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 15, 2:34pm

Post #44 of 53 (1543 views)
Shortcut
If I disappear for a few days [In reply to] Can't Post

don't be surprised. I live way out on country roads, and the ice storm and high winds has been everything promised since the middle of the Friday/Saturday night. There's about 1/4-1/2 inch of ice on all the trees, wires, and everything already with 30-40 mph winds! So I'm really quite shocked I still have power!

I'm quite prepared, so all is well there :) I filled hobbity's tank and made sure I had all the supplies I'd need... though there's no way anyone will be doing any driving today (Sunday). The storm is supposed to warm up and change to rain by tonight.

It's a huge storm system moving through many states and bound for the US east coast. HAPPY SPRING EVERYONE! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Apr 15, 2:51pm

Post #45 of 53 (1534 views)
Shortcut
Stay warm, gramma. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a lovely view, by the way!

Attalus
Lorien

Apr 15, 2:51pm

Post #46 of 53 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Good luck [In reply to] Can't Post

...I guess you don't wanna hear that it will be 62 here, today?

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhķr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a MŻmak. But we got him!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 15, 3:17pm

Post #47 of 53 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with your weather! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our lights flickered a bit last night, playing havoc with Roku tv, but we never fully lost power. I'm not sure yet about other parts of WNY.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 15, 6:02pm

Post #48 of 53 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Stay safe, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ice looks pretty, sparkling as it does, but it sure can wreak havoc. Hoping it warms up before any damage can be done!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 16, 10:34am

Post #49 of 53 (1470 views)
Shortcut
*waves arms* Made it! No outage! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks all of the positive vibes! THEY WORKED! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 16, 4:54pm

Post #50 of 53 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to it, though some private industries are already offering me consultant jobs.

ďDid you say 'You Shall Not Pass' or 'You Shall Not Sass'?" asked the Balrog.

"I said 'You Shall Not Pass,'Ē replied Gandalf; "and I wish you wouldn't keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly: you make one quite giddy."

"All right," said the Balrog; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of its wings, and ending with its shadow, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

'Well! I've often seen wings without a Balrog,' thought Gandalf; `but a Balrog without wings! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!í

-The Adventures of Gandalf in Middle-earth Land

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.