The Watching Thread: "We die as quickly together as we do apart."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Apr 24 2018, 2:43pm

Post #26 of 31 (522 views)
Shortcut
it's on Starz and Netflix [In reply to] Can't Post

Matthew Macfadyen as Mr. Wilcox, Hayley Atwell as Margaret, Tracey Ullman as Aunt Judy; the rest are unknowns (to me). I loved the 1992 film as well but I am reveling in this production. And I am not alone. The New York Times has a long & enthusiastic article about Ken Lonergan's adaptation. Here's what the folks at the Harvard Crimson think:
http://www.thecrimson.com/.../howards-end-review/
I agree with them that the relationship between Henry & Margaret is far more understandable in this version.There appears at first to be a wide gulf between the Wilcoxes' conservative views and the Schlegels' liberalism, but Henry and Margaret are in fact spouting opinions they secretly have doubts over, and their attraction to each other brings them onto a middle ground. A timely message . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Apr 24 2018, 2:45pm)

Annael
Immortal

Apr 24 2018, 2:47pm

Post #27 of 31 (517 views)
Shortcut
Here's the link to the NY Times article [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.nytimes.com/...to-then-and-now.html

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 24 2018, 9:47pm

Post #28 of 31 (511 views)
Shortcut
"Fear the Walking Dead" and "Casablanca" [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't watch the last season of "The Walking Dead" because the endless war had no appeal to me and Negan in particular is a total turnoff. But I read that FTWD had improved in its 3rd season (I really disliked the 1st one), so I've given the 4th season a try, and 2 episodes in, it's going pretty well. This week's episode had me wondering how Mel, leader of the bad guys, could have such a flawless haircut and hair full of styling gel when he's living as a nomad in a post-apocalyptic desert, but maybe nomads make stops at abandoned beauty salons. Anyway, a forgivable flaw.

"Casablanca" was because I couldn't remember it that well, and watching it again was a real pleasure. Claude Rains' smart-alecky quips throughout sure make the movie fun to watch, especially when the backdrop is so grim and everyone else is brooding and/or desperate.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Apr 26 2018, 8:24pm

Post #29 of 31 (438 views)
Shortcut
Curious, if you're a Claude Rains fan [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you seen Notorious? Very different character, but he's every bit as good in it. Reunited with Ingrid Bergman, very deep character relations, and he gets one of the most memorable exits in film in the last scene. A must-see.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 26 2018, 8:47pm

Post #30 of 31 (432 views)
Shortcut
Haven’t seen it yet—thanks for the recommendation! // [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2018, 1:54pm

Post #31 of 31 (387 views)
Shortcut
get in [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel Kaluuya was great in Black Panther too...

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sűl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.