Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"The Fall of Gondolin" Officially Announced!

NewsfromBree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 10, 1:08pm

Post #1 of 15 (3051 views)
Shortcut
"The Fall of Gondolin" Officially Announced! Can't Post

It's official..."The Fall of Gondolin" by J.R.R Tolkien, edited by Christoper Tolkien, and illustrated by Alan Lee, is indeed being published. It will be released on August 30, 2018. While rumored, the release still comes as a very welcome surprise given that many expected "Beren and Lúthien" to be Christoper Tolkien's final release. "The Fall of Gondolin" will be available in hardback, deluxe hardback, large print and e-book worldwide as well as a companion Tolkien Calendar. The Guardian has a wealth of interesting background on the story. Further details as well as reaction can also be found at The Tolkien Society.
The Fall of Gondolin by J.R.R. Tolkien

From the HarperCollins Press Release:

In the Tale of The Fall of Gondolin are two of the greatest powers in the world. There is Morgoth of the uttermost evil, unseen in this story but ruling over a vast military power from his fortress of Angband. Deeply opposed to Morgoth is Ulmo, second in might only to Manwë, chief of the Valar: he is called the Lord of Waters, of all seas, lakes, and rivers under the sky. But he works in secret in Middle-earth to support the Noldor, the kindred of the Elves among whom were numbered Húrin and Túrin Turambar.

Central to this enmity of the gods is the city of Gondolin, beautiful but undiscoverable. It was built and peopled by Noldorin Elves who, when they dwelt in Valinor, the land of the gods, rebelled against their rule and fled to Middle-earth. Turgon King of Gondolin is hated and feared above all his enemies by Morgoth, who seeks in vain to discover the marvellously hidden city, while the gods in Valinor in heated debate largely refuse to intervene in support of Ulmo’s desires and designs.

Into this world comes Tuor, cousin of Túrin, the instrument of Ulmo’s designs. Guided unseen by him Tuor sets out from the land of his birth on the fearful journey to Gondolin, and in one of the most arresting moments in the history of Middle-earth the sea-god himself appears to him, rising out of the ocean in the midst of a storm. In Gondolin he becomes great; he is wedded to Idril, Turgon’s daughter, and their son is Eärendel, whose birth and profound importance in days to come is foreseen by Ulmo.

At last comes the terrible ending. Morgoth learns through an act of supreme treachery all that he needs to mount a devastating attack on the city, with Balrogs and dragons and numberless Orcs. After a minutely observed account of the fall of Gondolin, the tale ends with the escape of Tuor and Idril, with the child Eärendel, looking back from a cleft in the mountains as they flee southward, at the blazing wreckage of their city. They were journeying into a new story, the Tale of Eärendel, which Tolkien never wrote, but which is sketched out in this book from other sources.

Following his presentation of Beren and Lúthien Christopher Tolkien has used the same ‘history in sequence’ mode in the writing of this edition of The Fall of Gondolin. In the words of J.R.R. Tolkien, it was ‘the first real story of this imaginary world’ and, together with Beren and Lúthien and The Children of Húrin, he regarded it as one of the three ‘Great Tales’ of the Elder Days.

Tolkien R.J.J
Bree

Apr 10, 8:00pm

Post #2 of 15 (2996 views)
Shortcut
different in what way [In reply to] Can't Post

How is this different than the sillmarillion version?

I am a Christian, that fact can be deduced from my stories.
-J.R.R Tolkien

A free society isn't something nice if you can get it, its worth laboring, fighting and dying for. The reason free people of the west fight Mordor to preserve their freedom.
J.R.R Tolkien

I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.
J.R.R Tolkien

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Apr 10, 8:07pm

Post #3 of 15 (2991 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't it be more complete? [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgive me if I'm wrong. It's been a while since I cracked open my Sil, but isn't that version titled Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin rather than being about Gondolin's fall? This would finish and expand upon that.

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

squire
Half-elven

Apr 10, 8:22pm

Post #4 of 15 (3000 views)
Shortcut
That publisher's blurb is very weird [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't read like it was written by anyone who knows anything about the Silmarillion stories, or the language the Silmarillion stories were written in.

"Morgoth of the uttermost evil" isn't even good English, and it's certainly no epithet that Tolkien ever wrote.

"Central to this enmity of the gods is the city of Gondolin" seems not to mean that Ulmo and Morgoth both hate Gondolin. Rather it must be a poorly expressed version of "this struggle between the gods".

"Turgon King of Gondolin is hated and feared above all his enemies by Morgoth, who seeks in vain to discover the marvellously hidden city, while the gods in Valinor in heated debate largely refuse to intervene in support of Ulmo's desires and designs." I can't. I give up.

Who wrote this? Does the Tolkien Estate have nothing to say about twaddle in its name?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 11, 1:14am

Post #5 of 15 (2952 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I remarked elsewhere that some portions of the official description read like a fans attempt at an April 1st joke.

Especially this part... while the gods in Valinor in heated debate largely refuse to intervene in support of Ulmo's desires and designs. Yikes! Unimpressed

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 11, 1:34pm

Post #6 of 15 (2902 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sil is not the only source - there's information in HOME (History of Middle Earth) and probably unpublished writings.

I think, overall, we have seen most of the material, but it will be nice to have all the Gondolin information in one place. I'm very excited about this book!

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 11, 3:00pm

Post #7 of 15 (2892 views)
Shortcut
You are thinking of the story included in 'Unfinished Tales' [In reply to] Can't Post

The very detailed story that Christopher renamed "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin" (because it stops when Tuor and my namesake arrive at Gondolin) appears in Unfinished Tales. The version of the story of Tuor that appears in The Silmarillion tells the full story through the fall of Gondolin in a much more summarized way, and is a compilation of different sources, many of which I am sure will be included in this new book.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

BOSW
The Shire

Apr 11, 5:43pm

Post #8 of 15 (2874 views)
Shortcut
Blurb [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed, I was puzzled by how inept the blurb is too.

As for the title, there's just enough text existing to slightly expand Sil and provide an "ending" in which Gondolin falls. But these volumes seem more like valedictory pieces for CT before retirement and "gift books" for the illustrations. They haven't added anything to the existing texts -- but they're nice :)

ME is a very confusing world to approach now, with all the movies, LotRs now prefaced by about 30 pages of introduction before Tolkien's long introduction, HoME (12 volumes), HoTH (2 volumes), Unfinished Tales, the Alan Lee illustrated stand alones etc. Unless the reader doesn't start with The Hobbit, I'm not sure the average person could persevere to get to the meat of the story....pick the wrong book and you're way over your head. Although it would be funny to think of someone walking out of a bookstore with Beren and Luthien, Fellowship of the Ring and Lays of Beleriand LOL trying to piece it together......

InTheChair
Lorien

Apr 11, 7:57pm

Post #9 of 15 (2858 views)
Shortcut
More detailed than the Silmarillion version maybe but not I think more complete. [In reply to] Can't Post

The blurb doesn't really say which pieces are included, but as a guess, the Fall of Gondolin from Book of Lost Tales may be the centrepiece, insterspersed with the later versions of text, ranging from the late Tuor Coming to Gondolin, to the various Annals that made the source for the version in the Silmarillion.

While there may possibly appear previously unpublished drafts, it is extremely unlikely there actually be any new information or gaps filled in the story. Unless these are provided by CT:s own commentaries, but if he follows the pattern of Beren and Luthien then probably not.

Probably buy one for sake of completion, but don't expect much that hasn't already been in Silmarillion or HoME.

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Apr 11, 7:59pm)

InTheChair
Lorien

Apr 11, 8:16pm

Post #10 of 15 (2859 views)
Shortcut
Wonder how many Lord of the Rings fans will be confused by the name Legolas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course CT may choose to cut the section that mention Legolas out, for that very reason.

If they wish to make some connection with Lord of the Rings, they could include some of the late texts about Glorfindel, suggesting the possibility that this was the same character as in Lord of the Rings, but I'm not sure they will go there.

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Apr 11, 8:20pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Apr 11, 8:30pm

Post #11 of 15 (2850 views)
Shortcut
more than one person can have the same name. [In reply to] Can't Post

tied in, it would make legolas so old and Thranduil older still

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

squire
Half-elven

Apr 11, 10:40pm

Post #12 of 15 (2839 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that is CT's style [In reply to] Can't Post

He will most likely add a note to explain the duplicate name. "Lord of the Rings fans" will probably not be reading this, unless they are the kind of person who is open to learning more about Tolkien's lifework, of which LotR is simply the most distinguished portion.

I'd guess that finding out that 'Legolas' was a name he'd already used, before reviving it for LotR, will be kind of cool, not confusing, to the readers of this book.

The Glorfindel question is actually a lot more interesting in this sense, because it really is the same character - with complications that another footnote will no doubt handle!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 12, 12:41pm

Post #13 of 15 (2790 views)
Shortcut
It's now listed at amazon.com [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.amazon.com/...TF8&qid=&sr=

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 14, 10:07am

Post #14 of 15 (2655 views)
Shortcut
I'm excited too...... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in fact, I'll go so far as to say that this is a dream come true - words I wouldn't use lightly. And I hope the rest of you will forgive me for not caring a jot about the admittedly inept and clumsy wording of the press release. Someone in the Harper Collins marketing department, I suspect, trying and failing to imitate Tolkien's style - I doubt very much that Christopher Tolkien or the anyone from the Estate was ever shown it. They're probably cringing too right now.

But I don't care. And all the complaints in the world aren't going to dampen the way I feel this morning. Because the Fall of Gondolin has been my favourite of the Great Tales from first reading the Sil, and Unfinished Tales confirmed it, feeding a hunger to know more that began for me in childhood with what Elrond says in The Hobbit about the swords from the trolls' lair. I was glad to have Children of Hurin - Beren and Luthien was a treat. But I wished they were The Fall of Gondolin. And now to know that in a few months time I can hold The Fall of Gondolin itself - with Alan Lee illustrations.... I'd given up hope of that altogether. I'm happy - can you tell? Smile

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Apr 14, 3:22pm

Post #15 of 15 (2640 views)
Shortcut
The Power of Presentation [In reply to] Can't Post

I am expecting the material to be treated in the same manor as "Beren & Luthien" and based on my response too it I am very excited to receive "The Fall of Gondolin". Some of it is to do with the passing of the years but refocusing the material around the Tale and "coming forward" with the one matter made me consider the material in an entirely new light. I really enjoyed the Lay much more but also I saw more clearly the difficulty that Christopher faced and indeed Mr Tolkien when he was looking to publish the Silmarillion.

Both tales start or restart in 1952 very strongly with Tuor in the mode of the LOTR but the two elements which B & L showed were :-

1) The sense of collapse of the multiple narrative strands and the over complication of Beren's original ending.

2) The overall, outside of the tale fragments, more compendious nature of this era from the moment that the Silmaril is revealed in the belly of the hound to the coming of Earendil to Eressea.

The front end is well developed and we come to know Luthien,Thingol, Melian but they and their heirs are gone in a few lines and the blood shed at the havens is a small postscript.

Its been said before but the ending collapses some thing which the LOTR got right in spades.

What I suspect Gondolin will do is reinforce that sense how do you play the exiles into the final narrative with any force given the materials available.

If like Mr Tolikien you take the history as a fixed tradition but which has never been quite recorded as well as it might reconsidering this from a fresh perspective will I am sure be rewarding and not least because the beginning and the middle of the tale are so powerfully realised but anyone who thinks it would have been easy for the author to finish the Silmarillion will I am sure be reminded of the huge narrative difficulties he faced in getting from the intimate anthropocentric stories threading them together to "the high and remote" ending.

Maybe a framing devise where someone told the tales would have worked and that of course is the central reason for the challenge thats how it all began and how it was intended over 100 years ago now .

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.