The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Guillermo Del Toro designs

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Apr 5 2018, 11:26pm

Post #1 of 4 (4989 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo Del Toro designs Can't Post

I believe a number of TORN staffers have friendships or have talked with designers at WETA about the Hobbit. Has the TORN ever posted a summation of the design differences and visual aspect that they may have heard from their contacts. Two years of work leads me to believe most of the production and design work had been completed. I know Alan Lee had said it was most productive and stimulating time. I think Cliff said on a TORN Tuesday recently that what he heard from his contacts at WETA it was some of the best work they ever put out.

I wish WB/MGM would release the work in aother of their WETA design books. What are the odds of this happening? Would it cause to much consternation if a number of fans liked it better?

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 6 2018, 2:51pm

Post #2 of 4 (4911 views)
Shortcut
I do have some of GdT designs... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I think it'll deserve a larger article.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Apr 7 2018, 12:35pm

Post #3 of 4 (4801 views)
Shortcut
Where did you find them? [In reply to] Can't Post

The only ones I have ever scene were two sketches of the Woodland Elves shown in the BoFA appendices and one showing one of his Smaug Concepts.

Since he worked on art, set, chracter, and weapon/armor design for almost two years, it seems like he had almost everything nearly realized. I think I remember him saying so in an interview along with using an 8color palette for the movies themselves.

(This post was edited by MedwedtoBeorn on Apr 7 2018, 12:39pm)

Silmaril
Rohan

Jun 8 2018, 7:13pm

Post #4 of 4 (4031 views)
Shortcut
Andy Serkis saw the designs... [In reply to] Can't Post

according to Ian Nathan's book and Andy said that they were very different from LOTR, too different for him. The audience would have felt cheated. A full redesign. PJ gave him total freedom to do his film.

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Jun 8 2018, 7:16pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.