Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
April Fool's posts unveiled

NewsfromBree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 4, 10:35pm

Post #1 of 10 (1553 views)
Shortcut
April Fool's posts unveiled Can't Post

I'm sure it comes as no surprise that on Sunday morning, April 1st you woke up to a bunch of internet websites doing their best to fool you into thinking their words were true, and TORn is no different. We did post two separate stories that were lacking in the veracity department. One post claimed we were moving to a paid subscription business model, which on it's own is intriguing, but because some message board members were involved, there were links to supporting messages. In fact, the bulk of the story sounded quite reasonable, until you got to the highest subscription level, 'Mithril' and one perk is the ability rent a Nazgul, for no more than 2 hours a year, and the reminder to book early for the Halloween timeframe and that TORn is not responsible for terror or destruction. OK, that last bit had me cackling, anyone else? No? Just me then.

The other story, believe it or not, actually fooled our own, beloved Webmaster Calisuri. He can be forgiven, it was clear a lot of people wanted the story about Guillermo Del Toro working on the Amazon Middle-earth stories to be true, which is what made this story so much more believable. There was nothing outlandish in the story, it was about a current subject that TORn had just covered the week before at Wondercon, and it fed into the deep fan desire to see the Middle-earth that could have been. And while we want to come clean with you, the readers of our little website, we especially want to reach out to Guillermo Del Toro to assure him there was no malice intended with this April Fools joke. We knew fans would fall for it, or want to fall for it, because GDT is so beloved as a storyteller and creator of amazingly detailed creative worlds, and in the end, the reach of this story just says how much GDT is appreciated in this fandom. This guy wasn't fooled.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 5, 10:28pm

Post #2 of 10 (1482 views)
Shortcut
Not quite off subject [In reply to] Can't Post

April 1st, 1975 my older brother saved his newspaper.
April 1st, 1976, after nearly infinite patience, he, in the early a.m., snuck over to my house and switched papers so I had the 1975 paper in 1976. (I could have sworn I already did THAT crossword Tongue.)

I retaliated a few months later by putting a large sign in his front yard:
HOUSE FOR SALE – INDOOR PLUMBING!

And the fun continues . . . Angelic Yours?

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 6, 12:12am

Post #3 of 10 (1485 views)
Shortcut
American Chopper internet meme tackles LOTR. [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't want to start a new thread, and since the subject is internet humor, this seemed like a good place.

Over the past day or two, a meme based on the American Chopper television show has been circulating widely. You can read more about it here on Yahoo.) Naturally someone made a Lord of the Rings version: It's a plot hole!

Treason doth neuer prosper? What's the Reason?
for if it prosper none dare call it treason.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 6, 1:14pm

Post #4 of 10 (1427 views)
Shortcut
I loved those! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know the backstory, so thanks for providing it. The LOTR one was great, as was the "unexpected item in bagging area".

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 8, 7:01am

Post #5 of 10 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Darmok. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is now my favorite.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 9, 9:51pm

Post #6 of 10 (1289 views)
Shortcut
YES!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 10, 3:32pm

Post #7 of 10 (1268 views)
Shortcut
"It all goes back to Plato." [In reply to] Can't Post

Another explainer of the meme (which seems to be running its course), from Matthew Yglesias at Vox. Excerpts:

"More broadly, in an era of performative social media dunking and tribalism run amok, the Chopper offers a lighthearted way to demonstrate that you actually understand the viewpoints of people on both sides of an issue. And beyond demonstrating your personal virtuosity, dialectic — the argument between two opposing points of view — turns out to be a fairly effective way to convey ideas and information, one that dates back to Plato’s famous dialogue but can be difficult to replicate in conventional media formats. ....

The meme functions, in this sense, as a miniature version of one of Plato’s dialogues. Rather than a conventional prose argument, in these books, Plato gives us drama, with Socrates debating one or more fellow Athenians to eventually reach his conclusion. The dialogue format makes the line of argument more memorable and allows for the simultaneous presentation of a clear thesis and a deeper understanding of the issues."

squire
Half-elven

Apr 10, 5:38pm

Post #8 of 10 (1268 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry, but I miss the 'Downfall' meme [In reply to] Can't Post

These 'Chopper' examples I'm seeing in the Vox piece are mostly overdone, and violate the primary rule of captioned comics: simplicity and brevity, like that shown by your 'Darmok' one. Yes, ironic comment on sophisticated wordplay and rhetoric coming from the bikers; yes, Plato (huh? in the Dialogues, Plato gets all the lines, and his stooge merely feeds him yeses or nos); no, Twitter is not a good place for sophisticated dialectics; etc. But still....

The classic 'Downfall' meme often invited weaker or less inspired scenes as well, but the sheer effort needed to subtitle a video as opposed to text boxing a photo usually promised that the writers had put some thought into their monologues. My favorite, with a meta-text that keeps on giving, was this one.

But I understand that all things must pass, especially on the internet. Old Boards.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 10, 6:35pm

Post #9 of 10 (1257 views)
Shortcut
*tee hee* [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the comments are almost as entertaining. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Apr 10, 6:53pm

Post #10 of 10 (1256 views)
Shortcut
How in the world did I ever miss that one? [In reply to] Can't Post

"That one" being the 'Downfall' meme, in general.
And that particular entry is brilliant.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.