Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Brown Hobbits. A colour in the next films, to kill notions that Middle Earth is segregated

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 1 2008, 1:45pm

Views: 535
Shortcut
Brown Hobbits. A colour in the next films, to kill notions that Middle Earth is segregated Can't Post

FIRST. . . CHECK PAGE TWO FOR THE GLORFINDEL AND GANDALF'S MAGIC POSTS. They are still relevant and active.

And now. . . I've said before that Lawrence Fishburne could make a wonderful Beorn, and that has nothing to do with the fact that he would add a little positvie coulour to the films ( though that would be a good thing to), but because he would really do the role great justice.

But something else occured to me recently. . . In Tolkien's introduction of Hobbits in Fellowship. He clearly tells us that the majority of Hobbits are of The Harfoot clan, and are brown skinned, as opposed to the lighter Fallowhides. Now, I am not suggesting that they were little Afro Hobbits, or Hobbits from Haradwaith. But they were brown, and could easily be played by actors and extras of colour, black and brown.

Why bother? Well, its simple. It has been something of a quiet but constant issue, which occassionally is voiced in many different places. I have lots of black and Indian friends who LOVED the films. . . but were still vexed by the fact that the only beings in the film nthat had a hint of colour, were enemies and orcs. I think that following the text enough to have some of the extras in Hobbiton be evidently of colour would go a long way in permantly erradicating this persitently pesky observation, and would forever extinguish the idea in the minds of any that Middle-Earth circa 9,900 BCE was in any way similar to Missisipi circa 1929. Wink

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Subject User Time
Brown Hobbits. A colour in the next films, to kill notions that Middle Earth is segregated AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin May 1 2008, 1:45pm
    I'd be okay with any actor who could carry the part. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass May 1 2008, 3:45pm
        LOL. Hilarious Rosie Lass AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin May 1 2008, 4:08pm
            Not to be picky... deej Send a private message to deej May 1 2008, 5:10pm
                Yeah, and didn't we make this topic gluggable? *offers jug* // Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods May 1 2008, 6:51pm
                    Bottoms up! *glug* Idril Celebrindal Send a private message to Idril Celebrindal May 1 2008, 7:32pm
                Not picky Starling Send a private message to Starling May 2 2008, 8:10am
                    I said before I was only speaking of extras, in the main, not central characters. Yet AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin May 2 2008, 12:31pm
                        Well Peredhil lover Send a private message to Peredhil lover May 2 2008, 1:46pm
                        Beorn DiveTwin Send a private message to DiveTwin May 2 2008, 2:22pm
                            Oh and I suppose Keanu Reeves as Bard? J/K - NT merklynn Send a private message to merklynn May 2 2008, 3:26pm
                                Nope.... DiveTwin Send a private message to DiveTwin May 2 2008, 4:18pm
                                Keaneu Reeves? Tolkien Forever Send a private message to Tolkien Forever May 2 2008, 8:42pm
                            Beorn cannot be black Compa_Mighty Send a private message to Compa_Mighty May 2 2008, 5:48pm
                                John Howe Elven Send a private message to Elven May 4 2008, 2:31pm
                                    Thanks Elven. . . as to the rest. . . Alas AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin May 6 2008, 2:58pm
            FWIW Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua May 1 2008, 7:52pm
        Remember when we toyed grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg May 1 2008, 4:40pm
            Well, you guys convinced me Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins May 1 2008, 7:16pm
    While I go along with the idea . . . MrCere Send a private message to MrCere May 1 2008, 4:18pm
        I mean segregated mc AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin May 1 2008, 5:12pm
            Jason Momoa StillCrazy Send a private message to StillCrazy May 1 2008, 5:28pm
                Segregation, really?? Empedocles Send a private message to Empedocles May 1 2008, 7:04pm
                    The point is, Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins May 1 2008, 7:12pm
                        Harfoots Empedocles Send a private message to Empedocles May 1 2008, 7:35pm
                            HarFEET!/ L. Ron Halfelven Send a private message to L. Ron Halfelven May 1 2008, 9:09pm
    Not enough left-handed hobbits! entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden May 1 2008, 6:41pm
        What about smoking? grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg May 1 2008, 6:44pm
            Smoking is part of the books, you have to keep it..... Keebler the Elf Send a private message to Keebler the Elf May 1 2008, 6:49pm
                And more about smoking..... Keebler the Elf Send a private message to Keebler the Elf May 1 2008, 6:54pm
        well said, entmaiden! greendragon Send a private message to greendragon May 1 2008, 11:18pm
        maybe they're ambidextrous Laerasėa Send a private message to Laerasėa May 2 2008, 12:07am
            its a tad sunny here Gethsemane Send a private message to Gethsemane May 2 2008, 12:23am
    Where is Middle Earth? Compa_Mighty Send a private message to Compa_Mighty May 1 2008, 7:13pm
        That is how I've always read it Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter May 1 2008, 7:43pm
        Totally agree burrahobbit Send a private message to burrahobbit May 1 2008, 8:38pm
            Totally agree Compa_Mighty Send a private message to Compa_Mighty May 1 2008, 8:54pm
                Revisionism By Bowing To PC Pressure Tolkien Forever Send a private message to Tolkien Forever May 2 2008, 1:43am
                    Well.... Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower May 2 2008, 2:07am
                        Yes, but Tolkien Forever Send a private message to Tolkien Forever May 2 2008, 2:46am
                            And I'm no help, aiding the hijacking.....:) Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower May 2 2008, 3:56am
                                Who do you people think you are?! Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods May 2 2008, 4:09am
            I would hate it.. Nazguy Send a private message to Nazguy May 2 2008, 8:15pm
    While I wouldn't object... Jazmine Send a private message to Jazmine May 1 2008, 8:56pm
    ... ringbearer9 Send a private message to ringbearer9 May 1 2008, 10:22pm
        So did I Kelvarhin Send a private message to Kelvarhin May 2 2008, 2:27am
            I agree with Tolkien Forever merklynn Send a private message to merklynn May 2 2008, 2:11pm
    it often depends on ElanorTX Send a private message to ElanorTX May 3 2008, 1:19am
    I like Fishburne but... SmeagoloftheStoors Send a private message to SmeagoloftheStoors May 3 2008, 1:57am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.